DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Actually I DID ding the 12" tom already and put a nice 1/8"x1/8" nick just to the right of the "Unix" logo. I was messing around, moving the stand around trying to get it into position and smacked it on the hoop of the floor tom.

A little dab with a brown sharpie and a smear of the finger...poof...I can't even find it now!
Its all fun n games till somedrum gets hurt! J.K. I feel your pain though. : ( At least it was "fixable".
Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale View Post
yah - but yours looks cooler, and we're all about the eye candy 'round here : )
That's right buddy...style before substance. :P

Here's a fairly uneventful clip of a groove I made up in 7/4.

It's just a simple scratch track I made for my guitarist - it's a tune we're working on and he's got a great melody to match it but has had a hard time staying in 7 so he wanted something simple to practice against.

I'll post more on this tune once we get it arranged...the real groove has some nice ghost notes, hi-hat work, and little nuances. This shows off the power of the Unix kick drum and how nice the Keplinger sounds w/ the kit.

Here's a transcription for anyone who might be curious.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 7-4_segment_scratch_track.mp3 (3.94 MB, 276 views)

Last edited by zambizzi; 12-04-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 AM

That is SICK.
Man I love Stave Drums
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

It's just a simple scratch track I made for my guitarist - it's a tune we're working on and he's got a great melody to match it but has had a hard time staying in 7 so he wanted something simple to practice against.

I'll post more on this tune once we get it arranged...the real groove has some nice ghost notes, hi-hat work, and little nuances. This shows off the power of the Unix kick drum and how nice the Keplinger sounds w/ the kit.

Hey Vin,

I am stealing this beat. Very cool.

My guitarist and I are looking to do a song in 7/8. This should fit perfectly.

Thanks for helping me write!

Don't worry, I will send you royalties!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Hey Vin,

I am stealing this beat. Very cool.

My guitarist and I are looking to do a song in 7/8. This should fit perfectly.

Thanks for helping me write!

Don't worry, I will send you royalties!
I'll look for the check in the mail.

I have one in 7/8 that's actually pretty cool, if you'd like me to post that one too? I can do that tonight...I'll put up a transcription as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'll look for the check in the mail.

I have one in 7/8 that's actually pretty cool, if you'd like me to post that one too? I can do that tonight...I'll put up a transcription as well.
Absolutely!!!

I would love to see / hear it.

Thank you!

How much longer until your snare arrives?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Wow Vin,

I just caught on today that you reposted this link since Frank put yours out to the world. Now that you do have them home and set up they look KILLER...that is the sweetest eye candy seen in a long time...will have to listen to the sounds later. Congrats again on making the jump and thanks for sharing.

JIM
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Absolutely!!!

I would love to see / hear it.

Thank you!

How much longer until your snare arrives?
Here's a rough one where I was experimenting with hi-hat openings...I'll post a better one w/ a transcription later on. You'll get the idea once you find the "1" - the crappy mp3 editor I have on my pc here at work won't let me get precise enough to cut it to start on 1.

This one was done w/ the Jojo hats and the Pork Pie Brass Patina snare...you'll definitely hear the difference.

Frank actually called me today, I should have the snare anytime...and who knows...maybe a special surprise, too. ;)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 7-8_groovulous_groove.mp3 (1.83 MB, 252 views)
Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Here's a rough one where I was experimenting with hi-hat openings...I'll post a better one w/ a transcription later on. You'll get the idea once you find the "1" - the crappy mp3 editor I have on my pc here at work won't let me get precise enough to cut it to start on 1.

This one was done w/ the Jojo hats and the Pork Pie Brass Patina snare...you'll definitely hear the difference.

Frank actually called me today, I should have the snare anytime...and who knows...maybe a special surprise, too. ;)
That was a great groove!

I will be stealing that one too!!!!!!

Those Jojo hats are very unique sounding. Snare sounded really good!

Can't wait to hear the new snare(s)!

Mike
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Yeah!
Sadly the snare was done, but like I was almost sure, the qucik release are perfect for tom and bass drum, but not as good for snare. The tension is too hard on any single point lugs actually.

From now on any Unix snare will be equiped with tube or bride lugs. I will work on a quick release double end soon... but... I won't talk about the surprise, as I promis Vin that I will only send the pics to him and he will judge if he will post it or not :)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mikey - I didn't have time to fight w/ Finale tonight so I'll post a trans. for it another time.

Frank - I can't wait to see the wicked creation you described to me over the phone! I thought I'd mention that your voice reminds me of Jojo Mayer only, like a true Canadian, you throw in "eh" every now and then. Ha!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix View Post
Yeah!
Sadly the snare was done, but like I was almost sure, the qucik release are perfect for tom and bass drum, but not as good for snare. The tension is too hard on any single point lugs actually.

From now on any Unix snare will be equiped with tube or bride lugs. I will work on a quick release double end soon... but... I won't talk about the surprise, as I promis Vin that I will only send the pics to him and he will judge if he will post it or not :)
Agaast !!! This has all the makings of a great mini-series. You've got me, I'm hooked, I can't wait for the next episode !!! :)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Got some new shots, just for fun. DMC inspired me to add my 10" tom back in and reduce my hardware as much as possible, so here's the result. The left DW double tom stand holds the 10" tom, the 17" crash, and the 10" splash (as usual). The right stand holds the 12" tom, the 21" ride, the 20" china (with 7" alu-bell on top), and my cowbell.

You can see that I got new claws as well. I nabbed some from drumfoundry, thanks to a pal on here pointing them out to me.

I also got some snare pics from Frank last week, so I'll have some new goodies to show you soon (hopefully!)
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM
trkdrmr

I like the added "presence" the kit itself has now. Less clutter = more shell visible. That's also why I like racks, less "stuff" standing in front of the kit.

I kind of miss the blue weights as kick spurs... you were on to something there ;)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Still waiting to know DMC impression, if Unix is worth something or just simply ordinary?...
Vin, can I use those pics to put on my website, you do take amazing pics and the kit look so gourgous with your photos...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Got some new shots, just for fun. DMC inspired me to add my 10" tom back in and reduce my hardware as much as possible, so here's the result. The left DW double tom stand holds the 10" tom, the 17" crash, and the 10" splash (as usual). The right stand holds the 12" tom, the 21" ride, the 20" china (with 7" alu-bell on top), and my cowbell.

You can see that I got new claws as well. I nabbed some from drumfoundry, thanks to a pal on here pointing them out to me.

I also got some snare pics from Frank last week, so I'll have some new goodies to show you soon (hopefully!)
DANG you! You added your third tom AFTER I left Friday night! Oh well, now I have a reason to go back and play at your pad. I should add that we were playing fairly late into the evening, but since Zambizzi has this really well-done drum room, no one heard us.

Unix, I am honored to play behind one of your sets. I was truly blown away playing behind Zambizzi's kit Friday. When I wasn't playing it, I was fondling it. It is a true work of art, an instrument of sonic and visual beauty. The projection, presence, richness and character of sound are every bit as stunning as solid-shell drums.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix View Post
Still waiting to know DMC impression, if Unix is worth something or just simply ordinary?...
Vin, can I use those pics to put on my website, you do take amazing pics and the kit look so gourgous with your photos...
I think he liked 'em! ;) I wish I could play with the kind of power he does...he was pulling sounds out of those drums I didn't even know they could produce!

Of course you can use the photos. I was actually going to take some today with the window open so there is some natural sunlight hitting them. I might hang sheets or something behind them so there is a nice, plain-white background. I'll shoot them over to you if I do.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I think he liked 'em! ;) I wish I could play with the kind of power he does...he was pulling sounds out of those drums I didn't even know they could produce!

Of course you can use the photos. I was actually going to take some today with the window open so there is some natural sunlight hitting them. I might hang sheets or something behind them so there is a nice, plain-white background. I'll shoot them over to you if I do.
Please I would love that.
DMC, beleive me the honor is all mine. I love so much building drums, and I never get use to the fact people like them.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
DANG you! You added your third tom AFTER I left Friday night! Oh well, now I have a reason to go back and play at your pad. I should add that we were playing fairly late into the evening, but since Zambizzi has this really well-done drum room, no one heard us.

Unix, I am honored to play behind one of your sets. I was truly blown away playing behind Zambizzi's kit Friday. When I wasn't playing it, I was fondling it. It is a true work of art, an instrument of sonic and visual beauty. The projection, presence, richness and character of sound are every bit as stunning as solid-shell drums.

OK Guys, Please tell me there is sound bytes ??? and maybe pictures of both sets next to each other? Huh huh huh ???? :)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:

I like the new setup. It looks more balanced and less cluttered. How does feel?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDrums View Post
OK Guys, Please tell me there is sound bytes ??? and maybe pictures of both sets next to each other? Huh huh huh ???? :)
No, he didn't bring the Iron Giant over...we did a hand-drum/kit jam the other night. Here's the thread:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44598
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM

What a beautiful kit! WOW!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 AM
nhzoso

Quote:

Gorgeous kit bro, probably the best I have seen on here yet. I would be afraid to hit it..LOL

I am still trying to learn how to see music when I hear it so please do not get upset if I am wrong. But on the sample of that cool beat you posted it sounds like you are hitting the bass drum on the & of 2 but it is not written that way? Am I hearing this right or reading it wrong? Thanks and great looking kit.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Gorgeous kit bro, probably the best I have seen on here yet. I would be afraid to hit it..LOL

I am still trying to learn how to see music when I hear it so please do not get upset if I am wrong. But on the sample of that cool beat you posted it sounds like you are hitting the bass drum on the & of 2 but it is not written that way? Am I hearing this right or reading it wrong? Thanks and great looking kit.
Your eyes are not wrong, it sounds to me that the first bass drum 1/4 rest should be a 1/8th note rest followed by a 8th note bass beat.

Last edited by EDrums; 12-04-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Good catch boys...I forgot an 8th bass note. I fixededed it.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Hey Vinnie,
I've been through all four pages of this thread and enjoyed every minute of it. Congrats on an awesome kit! Looking forward to hearing more grooves and tunes.

Michael
Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Michael - I'll have some new pics soon, I've got some new developments.

First, my matching snare and mystery "extra" drum should be here this week, if I understood Frank correctly. I bought a 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride (brilliant finish). And, I'm building a snare! Well, I'm doing everything but the shell itself. I bought a raw ash stave shell on eBay and had the builder do the edges and snare beds. I ordered all the hardware and tung oil...I'll be puttin' that baby together as soon as everything arrives.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

HMMMMmmmm....a little voice told me that there's a bubinga stave snare waiting for me at home tonight! It's 4:30 now, this is frickin' torture...
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Joshua Tree Percussion makes these full kits as well with whatever type of wood.

http://www.jtpercussion.com
Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
Joshua Tree Percussion makes these full kits as well with whatever type of wood.

http://www.jtpercussion.com
Yep! I'm building a snare out of a JTP shell right now. It needs *maybe* two more coats of tung before I drill and assemble.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

And now she's complete!

The snare is outstanding...I've been punishing it for 2.5 hrs. so I'm too tired to get into it...but DAMN!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

I bet that baby's got a solid THWAAAK!

Vin, have I ever told you that I think you're a terrific photographer? Really nice pics too.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I bet that baby's got a solid THWAAAK!

Vin, have I ever told you that I think you're a terrific photographer? Really nice pics too.
Thanks Abe...I never thought much of the actual photography. These drums are so pretty that they'd capture well anywhere. I think the fluorescent lights in that room help a lot.

This snare is pretty amazing, for sure. It is WAY more sensitive than anything I've played yet. It puts the maple Craviotto I had to absolute shame - and these heads are brand new! I haven't even broken them in yet!

It's got punch, tons of low-end, yet it cracks like cannon-fire. I tried tuning it a few different ways and all of them worked - you couldn't choke this thing if you tried. Right now I have the bottom cranked about 5 full turns on each lug w/ 24-strand Puresound wires. The batter is maybe 2 full turns/lug...about medium-high tension I suppose. The rimshots are skull-shattering but there's tons of warm ring underneath it.

It's excellent...my favorite so far! Incredible work Frank - well worth the wait.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I know there are some straggling issues w/ the forums that Bernhard is dealing with - so I went ahead and updated the pics of my kit and added some new ones.

I swapped out the Pearl Optimount for a Gauger RIMS mount on the 12' tom and put a smooth-white PS3 on the reso side of my kick. It made it a whole new drum...much louder, deeper, and "boomier".

Hopefully the sound files start working again - I couldn't re-upload those, most of them are scattered across three computers and I couldn't find most of them.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Some new pics - I eliminated the last full cymbal stand in favor of another dogbone. This about as minimalist as I can get w/ this kit as far as hardware. Also thought I'd show my DIY sheet-music boom stand.

I included a clip of the snare (just noodling on some double strokes) and a couple short clips of some swingy, funky grooves I'm sending to my guitar player for song ideas (one in 5/8 and another in 6/8).
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 buzzzzz.mp3 (3.01 MB, 175 views)
File Type: mp3 swingin_funk_five_2.mp3 (655.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: mp3 swingin_funk_six.mp3 (898.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Great idea. I believe if I look hard enough, I can make a music stand like that.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Great idea. I believe if I look hard enough, I can make a music stand like that.
It's a hells more comfortable to sight-read this way, I tell ya. I got so sick of craning my neck to the left to read I actually stopped working on sheet music for a long time.

This took 2 min. to throw together. I took the felt and plastic casing off of the end of my cheap-o PDP cymbal stand and took the top piece of a cheap-o music stand and just screwed it on there. I twisted it on until it was tight and it's very sturdy.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM
trkdrmr

I see where my snare mic n stuff has to go now!

I really like that the "body" of the snare is prominent. I like the decay of the sound.

Definitely stands out as "insanely great" sounding kit!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Vinnie,
I'm going down stairs right now and giving it a go.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Love the sound of your set, cymbals, drums, snare everything. And the looks are killer.