DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Please do, because even with the rough recording there is something pretty incredible going on there. I have a feeling those won't get lost in a mix either...
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.
THANKY, THANKY .. They sound as good or better than they look. Awsome !
Old 11-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Oh my god. Those look and sound absolutely incredible. Honestly, I'm in english class and just gigling to myself in joy.

But it's a bittersweet joy, because I thought MY drums were incredible. :(
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks again. I'll post some new sound-clips soon. I think I made a mistake with coated ambassadors on the toms. They sound "OK" but I'm missing that deep hum I get from coated G2s. I have some laying around, I'm going to put them on this weekend.

I also fell back to a 4pc. setup and need to find a creative and minimalist way to mount the 10" somewhere (anywhere). All ideas welcome!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM

One option since you like to play off the left side of the drums may be to move one of the cymbals off of the stand to a boom stand and place your ten inch there.This would move the cymbal higher the other option would be to relocate the 12 to the other side in a standard setup; but my guess is that you like to play off the 12 more and would rather have it above the snare. wacha think :)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDrums View Post
One option since you like to play off the left side of the drums may be to move one of the cymbals off of the stand to a boom stand and place your ten inch there.This would move the cymbal higher the other option would be to relocate the 12 to the other side in a standard setup; but my guess is that you like to play off the 12 more and would rather have it above the snare. wacha think :)
I'm not sure I follow but it sounds like the hi-hats would be in front of the 10" in that case, which is no good. My main concern is that my feet are in the right spot...everything else is secondary. I use the 12" and 16" mostly so yeah, I like the 12" to be over the snare and where my hats are placed, it leaves no room for the 10".

Right now the poor 10" is sitting on the floor, waiting for a chance to get back in the game.

I might put it out behind the 16" floor tom a la Jojo Mayer or just keep it set aside for when I convert down to a "jungle" kit on small-room gigs.

I got my bass drum legs last week. I also have a new snare (not the Unix - it's a surprise, you'll see!) AND my AAX X-Celerator hats on the way. I'll post new pics when the goodies arrive. I'm still waiting on the Unix snare...not sure when that will get here.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 AM

It's hard to tell how much room you have by the pictures, but I was suggesting to relocate the two cymbals to a seperate boom stand and place the 10" where the splash and crash are, between the 12" and the hats. This would leave room for the splash or crash between the 10 and 12 albeit higher. I have this seen this set up before and works for some. If there is not enough room between the 12 and hats, you might consider above and right of the hats ( this is where I have my 8" &10") either case would require some movement of your cymbal set up which you may not be willing to do. Hope this helps :)
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a few mildly interesting clips from a little jam session on Thu. w/ my new guitarist. We haven't played together much so we're just tryin' to find our mojo. The "creeps" clip uses the toms quite a bit using my Regal Tip Blasticks. I put my coated G2s (over clear G1) on the toms just to compare them to the coated/clear ambassadors.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 crash_bam_boom.mp3 (5.34 MB, 233 views)
File Type: mp3 das_creeps.mp3 (7.17 MB, 228 views)
File Type: mp3 low_n_growly.mp3 (4.07 MB, 227 views)
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's hard to tell how much room you have by the pictures, but I was suggesting to relocate the two cymbals to a seperate boom stand and place the 10" where the splash and crash are, between the 12" and the hats. This would leave room for the splash or crash between the 10 and 12 albeit higher. I have this seen this set up before and works for some. If there is not enough room between the 12 and hats, you might consider above and right of the hats ( this is where I have my 8" &10") either case would require some movement of your cymbal set up which you may not be willing to do. Hope this helps :)
I bit the bullet and bought another DW 9900 tom stand for the second tom, here are some shots. You'll be able to see how little space there is on the left for anything because of where I like my hats.

I think I'll get two more dogbones to mount the crash and china on the right, like I've done w/ the two cymbals on the left.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Very cool clips. Your timekeeping on the hats through all three clips is click track like in its steadiness.

I will tell you that I have permanently ended all desire for ply drums. The next drumset I buy will be Unix. It may be a couple of decades from now, ya never know. These clips have been quite the inspiration. Good work.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Very cool clips. Your timekeeping on the hats through all three clips is click track like in its steadiness.

I will tell you that I have permanently ended all desire for ply drums. The next drumset I buy will be Unix. It may be a couple of decades from now, ya never know. These clips have been quite the inspiration. Good work.
Thanks much! I know I've found the drums I was looking for...I don't see how anything else would do, now.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks much! I know I've found the drums I was looking for...I don't see how anything else would do, now.

Well that's easy, just buy another Unix lol...
I did a recording last week, I just don't know how to post it...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Mystic

Sounds amazing man, makes my ears horny lol
Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Sounds amazing man, makes my ears horny lol
Yikes, keep those ears off of my leg or I'll spray 'em.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Gold Member

hey zambizzi, just listened to 'noisything' mp3 - these drums sound even better than they look - a warm, deep and rich sound, some incredible drums you have there and the Sabians sounded great, are these the HHX's and Vault's you just picked up?
truly wonderful drums - enjoy!

Last edited by Ainulindale; 11-17-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: i need spell check or something...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale View Post
hey zambizzi, just listened to 'noisything' mp3 - these drums sound even better than they look - a warm, deep and rich sound, some incredible drums you have there and the Sabians sounded great, are these the HHX's and Vault's you just picked up?
truly wonderful drums you - enjoy!
Thanks! I've had the Sabians for a few months now...that thread we were chatting on wasn't all that new. It looks like I had to go Canadian for the sound I wanted! ;)

My AAX X-Celerator hats will be in Tuesday and the Jojos are going bye-bye. I've got a VERY cool and (relatively) unique snare coming Thursday that I found on eBay.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

why the AAX hats, not enough volume from the darker Jojo's? or did you just not get the desired sound from them? i'm just curios, always curios...
and a new snare you say? hmmm... interesting : )
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
why the AAX hats, not enough volume from the darker Jojo's? or did you just not get the desired sound from them? i'm just curios, always curios...
and a new snare you say? hmmm... interesting : )
They have the volume but they're exceedingly dry. The pitch is quite low and it's just not the sound I'm looking for. They're more versatile than most hats in that I used them in both acoustic jazz and loud, amplified rock...without any issues. But, in the end I like 14" better and I want something with a brighter tone.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
It looks like I had to go Canadian for the sound I wanted! ;)
hey Canada's got it all Z - fresh air, good beer, beautiful women and cymbals too!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I bit the bullet and bought another DW 9900 tom stand for the second tom, here are some shots. You'll be able to see how little space there is on the left for anything because of where I like my hats.

I think I'll get two more dogbones to mount the crash and china on the right, like I've done w/ the two cymbals on the left.
It looks good.. have you been able to adjust to the 12 in a different location.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It looks good.. have you been able to adjust to the 12 in a different location.
Yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm not entirely sold on this setup, I still find a 4pc. more comfortable and fitting to my style...I'm already thinking about dropping back to that. :P

The problem with having more toms in your setup is that you want to actually *use* them.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a few mildly interesting clips from a little jam session on Thu. w/ my new guitarist. We haven't played together much so we're just tryin' to find our mojo. The "creeps" clip uses the toms quite a bit using my Regal Tip Blasticks. I put my coated G2s (over clear G1) on the toms just to compare them to the coated/clear ambassadors.
Boy , They sound Great !!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm not entirely sold on this setup, I still find a 4pc. more comfortable and fitting to my style...I'm already thinking about dropping back to that. :P

The problem with having more toms in your setup is that you want to actually *use* them.
And thats a bad thing ? :)
Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Congrats Z, I havent heard it yet due to pc trouble, but I think I d be so paranoid about scratching or nicking that beautiful finish. I d have caution tape all around and a big KEEP AWAY sign, : D
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And thats a bad thing ? :)
Yes and no.

I like a 4pc. It remains to be seen if I have the patience to stick w/ this setup and let it become part of me, like a 4pc. setup has.

Is it worth hauling another 12 lb. DW tom stand around, as well as an extra tom? Not that I'm hauling anything right now...but it won't be long before I am again.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
Congrats Z, I havent heard it yet due to pc trouble, but I think I d be so paranoid about scratching or nicking that beautiful finish. I d have caution tape all around and a big KEEP AWAY sign, : D
Actually I DID ding the 12" tom already and put a nice 1/8"x1/8" nick just to the right of the "Unix" logo. I was messing around, moving the stand around trying to get it into position and smacked it on the hoop of the floor tom.

A little dab with a brown sharpie and a smear of the finger...poof...I can't even find it now!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Z,
The drums sound great! As far as the multitude of toms, so what. I like playing a 2 up, or even 3 up. It doesn't mean I have to use them on every roll. I like having all the different "voices" when needed.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.
Kit sounds awesome, Vin. The playing 'aint too shabby either. Nice tom work with solid left foot time. Did I hear a bass drum in there? ...don't think so
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Hey Z,
The drums sound great! As far as the multitude of toms, so what. I like playing a 2 up, or even 3 up. It doesn't mean I have to use them on every roll. I like having all the different "voices" when needed.
No I know...I just like my playing on a 4pc. better. It's a comfort thing, mostly. I dropped it back down last night and tossed the coated ambassadors back on the toms, too.

I'll have some pics tomorrow with my snazzy new mystery snare and AAX hats.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Kit sounds awesome, Vin. The playing 'aint too shabby either. Nice tom work with solid left foot time. Did I hear a bass drum in there? ...don't think so
Thanks Abe! Every night I spend an hour warming up, doing rudiments, etc. before I play - keeping a click on and keeping my left foot going. It's made a huge difference in my overall coordination and time.

I have to thank DMC for that...I was lazy w/ my left foot until he pounded the importance of left-foot timekeeping into my head. ;) These forums and the people here are invaluable, I tell ya.

I'm not sure which clip ya listened to but on the solo-ish stuff, nah, not a lot of kick. I've actually started practicing 4-way fills and solo ideas to bring the right foot in more on stuff like that - ya know, treat it like another tom instead of just a kick drum.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM

I could eat this drum kit...very very nice..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Abe! Every night I spend an hour warming up, doing rudiments, etc. before I play - keeping a click on and keeping my left foot going. It's made a huge difference in my overall coordination and time.

I have to thank DMC for that...I was lazy w/ my left foot until he pounded the importance of left-foot timekeeping into my head. ;) These forums and the people here are invaluable, I tell ya.

I'm not sure which clip ya listened to but on the solo-ish stuff, nah, not a lot of kick. I've actually started practicing 4-way fills and solo ideas to bring the right foot in more on stuff like that - ya know, treat it like another tom instead of just a kick drum.
Its was the one with tom fills with the hat ostinato. What helped me bridge the left foot independence thing big time, was not to think of it at all. Literally.

Good advice from DMC... not to use a limb at all is such a waste. Not to mention all the stuff you can do against simple chk chk quarter notes. Keep at it , bud.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Its was the one with tom fills with the hat ostinato. What helped me bridge the left foot independence thing big time, was not to think of it at all. Literally.

Good advice from DMC... not to use a limb at all is such a waste. Not to mention all the stuff you can do against simple chk chk quarter notes. Keep at it , bud.
Definitely. I'm at that point now...it's just there and I almost don't even hear it unless I want to. I'm working on linear patterns now to create more interesting accents and textures instead of just pumping quarter or eighth notes. The hats are my favorite part of the kit.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Definitely. I'm at that point now...it's just there and I almost don't even hear it unless I want to. I'm working on linear patterns now to create more interesting accents and textures instead of just pumping quarter or eighth notes. The hats are my favorite part of the kit.
So, when do we get to hear the iron-wood vs bubinga drum battle ??? Huh huh huh ???
Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Well now...what's that peeking out from behind my kit? (And no, I don't mean the beer...)
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
ya know, treat it like another tom instead of just a kick drum.
i'm gonna try and remember this little gem...
and come on zambizzi, details man! give us details!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i'm gonna try and remember this little gem...
and come on zambizzi, details man! give us details!
3mm of solid, stainless steel baby! I got my Keplinger in the mail today...here's a couple more pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

just beautiful zambizzi, sharp, clean lines and nicely contrast's the bubinga shells around it, an already incredible kit getting better and better!
and could'nt help but notice the emblem - is Ayotte made in Quebec?
congrats, looks awsome man!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
just beautiful zambizzi, sharp, clean lines and nicely contrast's the bubinga shells around it, an already incredible kit getting better and better!
and could'nt help but notice the emblem - is Ayotte made in Quebec?
congrats, looks awsome man!
Thanks! It's an amazing drum...powerful, fat, nice tone...I'm impressed. It's got very strange edges - they're rounded inward from the outside edge of the drum. It tuned up very quickly and easily.

I just checked the Ayotte web site, they're in Abbotsford, BC.

I thought it'd be cool to compare the lugs to Franks, too. In all honesty, I like Frank's better. They're far more minimalist and only require one hole to be drilled into the shell. Also, they come off much easier than the Ayotte lugs.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I thought it'd be cool to compare the lugs to Franks, too. In all honesty, I like Frank's better. They're far more minimalist and only require one hole to be drilled into the shell. Also, they come off much easier than the Ayotte lugs.
yah - but yours looks cooler, and we're all about the eye candy 'round here : )