DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Pearl Reference vs Sonor Delight

Hi, I am about to purchase a new drum kit, but I really can't decide between a Pearl Reference and a Sonor Delight. Can anyone on this forum help me please? I don't want to spend $10,000 on a kit and then regret it (yes,that's how much they cost in Malta.

Thanks alot for your help!!

Jonathan
Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Reference vs Sonor Delight

I would easily choose Sonor Delite. Sonor SQ2 or Delite kits are fantastic and have wide tuning ranges--they can handle rock to bebop jazz to anything.

Pearl Reference I've never been too fond of. Harder to tune, and the 12" tom (the only solid maple tom, I believe, in the Reference setup) tends to sound wretched.

Plus, Sonor's pro-level mounting hardware is tons better than those crappy L-shaped tubes of Pearl's.

If you have the money for a Sonor Delite, go for it.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 PM

I'll second that;

Sonor make wonderful instruments, and Delites are about as good as you can get without having to sell your house for an SQ2!

Indeed, their mounting system is far more practical and aesthetically appealing than pearls
Old 10-25-2008, 11:43 PM

Just to let you know i play in a progressive metal band. I need drums that can cut through the layers of heavy guitars. And also, what is putting me off the Sonor Delights is the colour options.I know that sound is more important then appearance, but I think after spending so much money I would want a kit that looks good. The advantage with Pearl is that you can actually customise it, eg. i can get a kit in Ivory Pearl with gold plated hoops and lugs. I don't know, I am really confused. And the thing is that in Malta I cannot try them beforehand as they are not stocked.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 AM

personally i believe the brown fade would look great in a metal band.
it's all up to you though, if you like the pearls, go for it :)

have a look though;
http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...katfarbeid=913
Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 AM

SONOR! I have played both and the references didnt do much for me but the delites are some of the best drums ive played.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 AM

Nice to see I'm not the only one who is not happy with reference drums. When they first came out everybody raved like crazy, but they always sounded chocked to me, with a narrow tuning range. If you need to cut through the rest of the band, the reference is really not for you friend. A close friend of mine had a set in a metal band, and was very disappointed. You couldn't even hear most of his double bass work in the club cause the kick drum was so weak. The snare was loud with alot of cut, but didn't have any, "body," or "character" to it.

You may need to keep looking before you buy something you'll end up hating. Sonors are great drums, but if you don't like the color schemes, you may need to look elsewhere, or contact them about a custom color scheme. Another option is to have them re-finished afer you get them, but that would be alot of money, and a shame to re-do a new finish.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 AM

yeah,if I had to choose a colour for the delight I would choose the brown fade. I'm really glad I subscribed to this forum, you guys are really helpful.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

I'd go for the Sonor, I've recorded on a Reference and for a pro kit I wasn't really that impressed with the sound.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM

I hope I get some other opinions as I am still confused as to which drumkit I will buy. Right now I am more inclined to buying an Ivory Pearl with Gold Hardware Pearl Reference. But I am still unsure. Please help me :(
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Let's see, you asked for opinions and 6 people prefer (make that 7) say that the delites are better drums and nobody preffers the pearls, but you still want more advice and are leaning towards the pearls.

That's fine if that's what you prefer but in my opinion the delites are much better.

btw the Delites are made in Germany, The Pearl Refferance are made in Taiwan.

However for metal maybe you don't want the vintage shells.

Have you considered Yamaha Birch Customs, Oak customs, Maple custums. Also Tama Starclassics should be in consideration.

Wayne
Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks alot for the advice. I only heard positive things about the Sonor, while regarding the Pearls there were alot of mixed opinions. The major topics on the pearl forum were "how nice are the drums", "how nice is the finish", "how nice is the configuration",etc etc. Regarding sound and musical quality there was little. I currently already own a sonor, a Force 2001, and the sound is basically fantastic. When I recorded the producer was really happy with the sound.so with a higher end Sonor the sound can only be better.

So i will probably buy the delights (in brown fade). Next week I am going to try a Pearl reference. That will be the deciding factor. But 80% to 20% i'm getting the Sonor Delights.

Thanks alot for the help you have given me. It is good to discuss things with fellow drummers on line ;)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

Delites are some of the best drums in the world.

I would go for a Delite for sure...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM

I just wanted to tell you that I decided to order the Sonor Delites. I will post pics as soon at it arrives. Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

I am just catching on to this already older thread, but am glad to hear of your decision...I cannot wait to check out the pics...JIM
Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
I am just catching on to this already older thread, but am glad to hear of your decision...I cannot wait to check out the pics...JIM
Me too, ....please....what did you order? SPECS ...SPECS ...SPECS!! :)
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

I hope someone from pearl reads this thread.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
DamoSyzygy

Quote:
Just to let you know i play in a progressive metal band. I need drums that can cut through the layers of heavy guitars. And also, what is putting me off the Sonor Delights is the colour options.I know that sound is more important then appearance, but I think after spending so much money I would want a kit that looks good. The advantage with Pearl is that you can actually customise it, eg. i can get a kit in Ivory Pearl with gold plated hoops and lugs. I don't know, I am really confused. And the thing is that in Malta I cannot try them beforehand as they are not stocked.

Thanks again for your help.
Youll be happy with the delites.. I too play in a progressive metal band, and play a Designer Series Sonor. Youll find that in many instances Sonor have their own take on whats important, especially when it comes to mounting systems and hardware, but youll be pleasantly suprised.

Prior to getting an SQ2, I believe Gavin Harrison played a brown fade set of Delites for a lot of his Porcupine Tree stuff.

Watch out for the snare though - Itll tear your head off if youre not careful!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM

Finally got the Delights!! and as promised here are the pics:
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Great set! Please post pictures in the "My Gear" section, so more people can come and drool over your set ;-). I hope you are very happy with it, you can be proud of what you bought.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Thoughs are absolutely georgeous!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Buddy how does it feel to arguably have the nicest kit on this whole webpage. You have made a very wise choice in going with the Sonor line, especially the delite, this will be my next kit, I just have to win the lottery first!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Stunning! Do they sound as good as they look?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Sonor Delites...perfect drums. I see or hear nothing on the kit I'd change. Delites are tough to buy in the states right now, they are a bit pricey, but I waited around for a new old stock set to show up and jumped on them.

I wouldn't trade my Delites for any kit in the world.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Just to let you know I have been playing this kit for some time now. Also,some time ago I got to play a gig on a Pearl Reference. I can guarantee that there is no comparison.The Delight are so much more superior in everything.The sound is great,perfect for a drum kit,it is so versatile. And what I also like,and which lacks alot in other high end drum kits, is the detail in workmanship. Hardware,lugs,screws,everything is made tohigh standard,and they make the kit look beautiful.

I also have another sonor,a Force2001 (I think). I recoded an album with it and eveyone (including the producer) told me how beautiful the drums sound. Now I can't wait to record a new album with my Delights. If you want to hear a song I recorded just go to 26otherworlds.com That is an unmasterd version.

regards :)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Definitely Sonor. But I'd look into s classix or s class pro. Same quality as delite and will save you money.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Your Band sound awesome! Nice set too!