DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Evans mylar vs Remo mylar

Does anyone know if the mylar Evans uses is from the same manufacturer as the Remo mylar? I wonder if they all originate from Dupont, and if they are the exact same formula. Anybody?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans mylar vs Remo mylar

They aren't the same.

Aquarian also uses a different film.

I don't know all the science behind the polyester films, but they all use different stuff (--which gives us more choices).

Remo also uses a White film for the coated Ambassador (and not a clear film as the base) which has a different sound than other brands 1 ply coated head.

Remo also uses some other film formulas for the Suede and Renaissance.

I think Evans uses a different film for the new G+ heads than their other heads, and not just a thicker clear with the frosted coating.

I believe that Evans uses clear film for everything (with a "hazy" film for a snare side model) and does not offer a white film base on a coated head (like the old Uno58) anymore, but they may have a smooth white film for a kick reso head---but I'm not positive on that.
All the white heads may be clear film with the sprayed on coating.

Attack heads use a totally different film for their heads as well.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Karl, thanks so much for the breakdown, where did you get all that info?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Remo Fiberskyns are a textured head underneath the synthetic layer. Aquarian coated heads are clear underneath, except for the Modern Vintage which are a tan color. Evans has a new coating that is just sort of semi textured (EQ and EC series). Although I'm not sure any of this has anything to do with whether or not the material is the same. What they do with the material to make each type of head varies, but I think the mylar itself is probably the same. The chemical structure really doesn't affect anything though. This is like wondering if Pearl's brass snares are the same metal as Yamaha's brass. The drums are different but the material is the same. Differences apply to wood though in which an Asian maple tree yields different drums than a Canadian one and an African Mahogany tree yields different results than one from the Philippines. The only real chemical change in mylar would be the coloring added for black and white heads (seems to thicken them as well). The major difference in brands is the collar structure.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

MylarŪ is DuPont's brand name, so any company using it has to get it from DuPont. The product has different formulations and weights, and that's why there are differences between Remo and Evans heads with seemingly identical specs. But to answer the question, MylarŪ itself comes from one place.

Bermuda