DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Coated Emps. vs Clear Pins.

Iv been messing around with different heads on my drums the .last month. I have been using clear emps. over clear ambs. for awhile. So last night I put a coated emp. on and then tried a clear pin. and to my suprise the pin stripe had alot more of a open sound compared to the coated emp. I used pins for years back in the 80's and 90's and I think Im going back to them. They really give me a nice round but fat sound with just enough ring.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Coated Emps. vs Clear Pins.

Just my opinion, Clear Pinstripes are the worst heads on the market - that is why not a lot of the pros use them anymore. They are too muffled and heavy sounding, I would even argue that they are not that good for rock or metal anymore - there are so much better choices out there.

They are so dead sounding, and for live use they sound really dead - but they can sound ok on certain kits - maybe your kit is one of those where they sound ok.

I like Clear emps a lot. I think I am going to change to Coated Ambassadors soon though, just to see if they sound any better live.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Well my point to this post was that the clear pin stripe gave a more open sound (not as dead) as the coated emp. I was a bit suprised.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

A good case of personal taste is just that, personal taste. Clear Pinstripe heads can't be all bad. The Yamaha Recording Customs come stock with them. The longest running pro-level drum series (over 30 years) of any manufacture, and some would say THE drum that put Yamaha on the map. And if I'm translating M721, you play a birch shelled Tama kit. Almost the twin of the RC. I used the clear Pin, almost exclusively, on my Luddie Vistalites. For 25+ years. Two other factors come into play here. Room that the drums are in and listening viewpoint. Moving the kit from the "jam" room to a recording room, the bedroom to the living room, etc. will change the sound, both of the kit, and reflected sound, what you hear. And then your listening viewpoint/vantage point. Your kit will almost always sound different from behind it (drivers seat) vs. out in front (audience perspective). Glad to hear someone "experimenting" with different heads. One of the "most affordable" ways to play a different sounding kit, without the expense of buying another kit, is to switch out the heads. And a pro-level kit should be able to support a variety of head combo's and deliver quality sound with each combo.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
A good case of personal taste is just that, personal taste. Clear Pinstripe heads can't be all bad. The Yamaha Recording Customs come stock with them. The longest running pro-level drum series (over 30 years) of any manufacture, and some would say THE drum that put Yamaha on the map. And if I'm translating M721, you play a birch shelled Tama kit. Almost the twin of the RC. I used the clear Pin, almost exclusively, on my Luddie Vistalites. For 25+ years. Two other factors come into play here. Room that the drums are in and listening viewpoint. Moving the kit from the "jam" room to a recording room, the bedroom to the living room, etc. will change the sound, both of the kit, and reflected sound, what you hear. And then your listening viewpoint/vantage point. Your kit will almost always sound different from behind it (drivers seat) vs. out in front (audience perspective). Glad to hear someone "experimenting" with different heads. One of the "most affordable" ways to play a different sounding kit, without the expense of buying another kit, is to switch out the heads. And a pro-level kit should be able to support a variety of head combo's and deliver quality sound with each combo.
Could'nt of said it any better myself!!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Well put HarryC

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

Im playing Pinstripes on my Oak Custom WITH Die-Cast hoops and still they sound open and responsive, Ofcourse there are different heads, but I like these one the most. And for over 5 years.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Go with the Coated Emperors.
They have a more focused pitch