DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default My Yammie Oaks

Had them about a year and a half now!
Yamaha Oak Customs
14 by 5.5" Snare
10 by 9" and 12 by 10" Rack Toms
14 by 14" Floors Tom (Mounted)

Cymbals (Left to Right)
13.25" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hats
20" Stagg "Dirty" Ride (I buried it!)
8" Stagg Myra Splash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
20" A Custom Projection Ride
17" A Custom Medium Crash

Heads: Remo Coated Ambassadors on Toms, White Dot on Snare, Clear Powerstroke on Kick

Hardware: Yamaha//Pearl



PS: My double Kick is getting repaired =(
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Chazz's Avatar
Chazz Chazz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 387
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

They sure Look Beautifull :) Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Very nice kit!!!

Looks like you compose just off to the side...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,302
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Awesome kit. Shame that you've got to muffle it so much to get the 'right sound'. Choice of heads and good tuning should have been able to do the trick, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

nice kit man, what made you go for Oak instead of birch or maple?
How do you like those hats by the way?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhog View Post
Had them about a year and a half now!
Yamaha Oak Customs
14 by 5.5" Snare
10 by 9" and 12 by 10" Rack Toms
14 by 14" Floors Tom (Mounted)

Cymbals (Left to Right)
13.25" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hats
20" Stagg "Dirty" Ride (I buried it!)
8" Stagg Myra Splash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
20" A Custom Projection Ride
17" A Custom Medium Crash

Heads: Remo Coated Ambassadors on Toms, White Dot on Snare, Clear Powerstroke on Kick

Hardware: Yamaha//Pearl



PS: My double Kick is getting repaired =(
That first picture is a pretty good example of "business vs pleasure"...

I hope the red side wins... ; )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Awesome kit. Shame that you've got to muffle it so much to get the 'right sound'. Choice of heads and good tuning should have been able to do the trick, IMO.
I can believe that his small room + oak would be very bright. I tried a kit in a Seattle GC last April, and in many circumstances they are *super* cutting. I can only imagine the acoustics that close to the wall, and trying to record.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,302
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I can believe that his small room + oak would be very bright. I tried a kit in a Seattle GC last April, and in many circumstances they are *super* cutting. I can only imagine the acoustics that close to the wall, and trying to record.
You're right.

My point is, given the limitations of space and sound reflection etc.., if you're going to dampen it down to THIS extent, then frankly it doesn't matter what kit you play.

Its like buying a Lamborghini and re-fabing it to work like a Subaru.

I'm sure Henhog ( love that name .. ) has good reason, but it sure as hell breaks my heart to see a Yammie O muzzled like that : )
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM
stasz's Avatar
stasz stasz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, US
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Nice stuff!! I like how your toms are tight and close to each other. How did that stagg ride end up sounding? What type of music do you play?
__________________
"If you think you're more important than the drums, you've got another thing coming." -Tony Williams
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,229
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Gotta love the wood grain. Very nice.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Its like buying a Lamborghini and re-fabing it to work like a Subaru.

I'm sure Henhog ( love that name .. ) has good reason, but it sure as hell breaks my heart to see a Yammie O muzzled like that : )
...bound and gagged like Hannibal Lechter on a hand-dolly...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 PM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 974
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

That's the Red Sedona finish right? I have the same kit. I'm using Remo clear Emperors on the toms, no muffling except maybe a piece of moonjel on the floor tom in some rooms.

Enjoy, great sounding kit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Hey Henhog Welcome to the Forum...Yeah, nice kit, too bad its in such tight quarters, that baby needs some room to run! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Clayton_C's Avatar
Clayton_C Clayton_C is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 230
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

I'm very curious... what effect did burying your ride have on it's sound? What did you bury it in? What is the aesthetic difference? How long did you leave it buried?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Nice stuff!! I like how your toms are tight and close to each other. How did that stagg ride end up sounding? What type of music do you play?
The Stagg ride was an old one I had lying around. I used to play alot of rock (hence the A custom projection ride) but recently I have been getting into Jazz. The big heavy A wasn't cutting it and I didn't want to have to buy another ride (im just buying my first car!) so I used it for a bit and thought it sounded alright - but still a little pingy. My friend saids that burying your cymbals exposes them to the elements and nutrients and stuff from the soil can make your pies sound darker. So I buried it for 3 months and when I dug it up it sounded trashyer and a little darker (i also looks more "jazzy"!). Im thinking I might bury it again soon and see if I can make it darker!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Ainulindale's Avatar
Ainulindale Ainulindale is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Wecome to the forum henhog, those are some beauty drums ya got there - Yammies are just excellent!
Good drumming man!
__________________
question the media, sheep arent cool
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
nice kit man, what made you go for Oak instead of birch or maple?
How do you like those hats by the way?
I liked the warm tone to the oaks, plus you don't really need to mike them cause they are loud man! The absolutes were a little about of my price range as well (cause I wanted to upgrade my cymbals too). I was going to get a Stage Custom, but I walked into my local drum shop and played the oaks, and I fell in love with them! and they were at a price I couldn't resist. The hats are great too. They have a nice 'Chick' and are quite bright. great for really tight funky stuff and you can just open them a couple of millimeters for a nice zap!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2008, 04:55 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhog View Post
I liked the warm tone to the oaks, plus you don't really need to mike them cause they are loud man! The absolutes were a little about of my price range as well (cause I wanted to upgrade my cymbals too). I was going to get a Stage Custom, but I walked into my local drum shop and played the oaks, and I fell in love with them! and they were at a price I couldn't resist. The hats are great too. They have a nice 'Chick' and are quite bright. great for really tight funky stuff and you can just open them a couple of millimeters for a nice zap!
I also forgot to mention you have a great kit!

True story: I drafted up plans for building a Yamaha oak kit in the "Steve Smith" setup. I loved the power more than the maples or RC birch. I also liked the more affordable price. It would be the kit I was going to buy (In either york honey amber or silver sparkle) until Trick made me an offer I could not refuse.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
elliotdrummer7227's Avatar
elliotdrummer7227 elliotdrummer7227 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: england, suffolk, felixstowe, trimely
Posts: 187
Default Re: My Yammie Oaks

nice what do they sound like?

what type of music do you play?
__________________

(\_/)
(O.o)
(><)
MOOSE IS HERE!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48228
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com