DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Drum Mics?

What are some great, affordable (100-200 bucks) drum mics for a small 4 piece kit?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Mics?

save some money and get some better mics..

just like anything else, you get what you pay for...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-PG...97-i1126560.gc

thats prolly your best bet...

are you going to want to mic your cymbals? like over heads?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrummer101 View Post
What are some great, affordable (100-200 bucks) drum mics for a small 4 piece kit?
Great and affordable are contradictory terms in this case. Decent and cheap maybe...

Save up for some Audix mics;

D-6 for the kick
D-4 for the floor tom
D-2 for the rack tom
I-5 for the snare

Overheads are up for debate, but don't let anyone talk you out of knowing that THESE close-mic drum mics are the best, hands-down! No contest!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

i just got a new mic kit

i did have a samson 8 pc set with
1 kick
3 toms
1 snare
2 overheads
1 hihat

yea it worked but it just didnt cut it.

i sold it on ebay for $150 and got this
audix dp5 drum mic kit with
i5 - snare
d2 - toms x 2
d4 - floor
d6 - kick
i also got 2 audio technica 3035 condensers for overheads

these mics were kinda expensive but they sound great. the d6, i5, and at3035's make the biggest difference...

i recommend that you get a good kick mic (audix d6, akg d112, shure beta52, all around $200 new) and a good snare mic (shure sm57, audix i5, $100 new) and some decent overheads (mxl 993, $180 for two). the bass and snare are so loud that my cheapo mic kit couldnt handle them and just distorted at volume. this will cost more money but it will be a good live or recording setup and you will not have to replace it in two or three years (trust me, that sucks)

by the way, the shure beta52 and sm57 microphones are considered to be the industry standard for most people.
everyone from a local bar band to platinum recording and professional touring acts tour and record with them.

good luck man
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

well, ill have to talk you out of that then..lol

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-Dr...55-i1126540.gc

Shure BETA-52
Shure SM-57

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Get two Studio Projects B1s. Put one overhead, 3' or so straight over the snare, the other a couple feet in front of the kit, centered, somewhere around tom level. Adjust positions to taste. When you get a few more bucks, get a kick mic, D6, B52, D112 ATM 25 or whatever the new one is called, etc, and go to dual overheads. Add a 57 on the snare later.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

To answer the original question, I own this, and it works very well.

I do intend to pick up a better kick mic when I get back to playing out again- probably a D-6- but these do the trick nicely.

The nice thing about these mics? I don't have to worry about babying them. They're small and sound just as good as anything else. They are Audix, after all.

When I do my FULL kit, I throw a pair of 57s on my 2 snares, but I hate how long the 57s are and how hard it is to position them within a small, tight, condensed drum setup. Sometimes it's just easier to use one of the Audix mics on the main snare and use the 57 elsewhere with more room (I can't imagine trying to position a full drumset full of SM57s).

Oh, one more thing. Depending on your purpose, the mics necessary will change. If you want to record, overheads might be your first priority, followed by kick and snare mics. If you're talking live, I've had great success just miking the drums and letting the cymbals bleed into the other drum mics and vocal mics. Until you get into really big situations, this often works more than enough.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
Oh, one more thing. Depending on your purpose, the mics necessary will change. If you want to record, overheads might be your first priority, followed by kick and snare mics. If you're talking live, I've had great success just miking the drums and letting the cymbals bleed into the other drum mics and vocal mics. Until you get into really big situations, this often works more than enough.
Even live, this should be the order of importance. If you have a limited budget, I wouldn't go for cheap mics, just so you can get a lot of them. They won't sound good or last long. I would recommend picking up a used AKG C1000 for a single overhead. It works great and can capture a whole drumset (mostly) well. Your next priority would be the kick mic. AKG D-112 or Audix D-6 both are exceptional. Then, I'd go for a second AKG C1000. When you hear the sound of two overheads on your kit, you'll wonder how you got by with just one. Then, I'd start getting mics for the rest of the drums, starting with the snare (I can't recommend the I-5 enough), and adding the rest of the tom mics as you can find and afford them.

The point is, you don't want to buy budget mics to get you by, because you'd basically be throwing away your money, as you'd soon figure out when you find yourself desperately wanting to upgrade.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Even live, this should be the order of importance. ... I would recommend picking up a used AKG C1000 for a single overhead. It works great and can capture a whole drumset (mostly) well.
A couple of things about overheads-

First, know that your playing will be recreated pretty faithfully. If your snare gets washed out acoustically by your cymbals, the overhead will not help (and might make things worse, depending on placement).

Second, be aware that overheads start to complicate stage volume. Anytime you add a sensitive condenser mic, you increase the likelihood of feedback, especially if you like a really hot monitor or if the guitarists or bassist like to push their amps back deep on the stage.

I used to run an overhead for the kit, but I always ended up turning it so far down that it might as well be off. Most of us play in venues so small that the drums don't need a volume boost, so I use kick and snare mics to spread the sound out between the acoustic sources and the PA speakers.

Anyway, it still rather depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want a faithful reproduction of your sound, go for a good overhead. If you just want to beef up your kit for some rock and roll, you might fare better with kick and snare as a top priority.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
Your playing will be recreated pretty faithfully. If your snare gets washed out acoustically by your cymbals, the overhead will not help (and might make things worse, depending on placement).
This is really a blessing in disguise. Recording like this will open your ears to any dynamic problems you might have, and working on getting a good overall kit balance will make you a better sounding drummer and a better musician. It's not wise to rely on micing and mixing to get your kit dynamics together.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
This is really a blessing in disguise. Recording like this will open your ears to any dynamic problems you might have, and working on getting a good overall kit balance will make you a better sounding drummer and a better musician. It's not wise to rely on micing and mixing to get your kit dynamics together.
Bingo, Wavelength!

I often have to play gigs with just one overhead and one kick mic. If your cymbals are overpowering your snare and toms, then it's not more mics you need.......pssst! It's more control and balance........

Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
True. I'm just coming from a realist point of view (and also that of an occasional soundman).

Often, people want to mic drums because they can't hear everything correctly. An overhead will just make everything louder (including stage sounds). If I'm running sound for a young drummer who hits his ride cymbal with the same velocity as his snare, or who slams his half-open hats as hard as he can, the overhead/kick combo ties my hands in making the kid sound good AS IS. If I have a snare and kick combination, however, I can lift the snare to compete. If I'm doing my job as soundman correctly, I need to use all the tools at my disposal to make the performers sound as fantastic as possible.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to become a better drummer, but sometimes you need to sound good *today*... Certain miking techniques can help a musician to sound better immediately, and I see nothing wrong with that, so long as it doesn't become a permanent solution.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 PM

It is amazing how much the interface place a role in the sound. My buddy has the shure drum pack mics and they sounded ok. He got a new interface and the sound is amazing. It is crazy how much pre amps play a role.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Check out this small Scottish Company, they get great reviews. great price

http://www.red5audio.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrok2 View Post
It is amazing how much the interface place a role in the sound. My buddy has the shure drum pack mics and they sounded ok. He got a new interface and the sound is amazing. It is crazy how much pre amps play a role.
what interface was he, and is he using?
were using the presonus firestudio and it sounds fine. wed like to get a few inexpensive (but effective) pres but arent sure what to get.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM

These are the big things he has in his studio

ART MPA Solid Gold Mic Preamplifier (2 channels)
KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 8In Powered Studio Monitor Ea+
Neumann TLM49 Cardioid Condenser Mic with Shock+
Universal Audio Solo 610 Classic Tube Mic Pre/DI
Mackie Control Universal Pro (hardware mix station)
RME Fireface800 (interface)
Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Not many Mics in that range, from what I hear.
I don't really know though.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaDrummer101 View Post
right on the link below there is a 4 piece of CAD drum mics for $99.99

there is also a 7 piece made by nady for $189 with free shipping

http://www.rickiesdiscountelectronic...yword=drum+mic
Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 AM

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

i own/ use the dmk-7 set by Nady. Great little mics, the signals from the small diphragm mics are actually hotter than a sm-57. I'm recording an ep with them now so i'll post sound clips when i'm done. The good news is that you can pick up the set (1 large diaphragm cardioid dynamic (bass), 4 small diaphragm cardioid instrument mics for snare/ toms, 2 unidirectional condensers for overheads) for about 120-140 bucks used on ebay.To me, they work just fine and you can't lose cause you can always re-sell them for 100% what you paid for them if you get used ones, so why not give them a try?