DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Default My new Yamaha MCA: Is this normal?

This is the bassdrum of my brandnew MCA - but as you can see on the pictures there are quiet a few scratches on it... Is this normal for a new set? Or should I complain?
Is it due to the Vintage Finish? I must say that I am a bit disappointed, since I take good care of my kits and my ten year old Sonor S-Class still looks brandnew. The four toms (10, 12, 14, 16) are flawless! I know that the scratches are really small and won't affect the sound but nevertheless I paid about 1000€ for the bassdrum alone and waited six months for the kit to arrive. What do you think? Any owners of Vintage Finish drums have an opinion? Or other kit owners?

Thanks for your help.
d.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: My new Yamaha MCA: Is this normal?

This isn't normal for any type of finish. It certainly won't affect the sound of the drum, but when you spend that kind of money you expect perfection out of the box...and then YOU can be the one to put the first dings and scratches on the drums. Would you accept delivery of a brand new car with that kind of damage? Hmmmmmm.....

Also, be sure to remove all of the heads and check the bearing edges to make sure that they are perfect.

Congrats on the drums! They are among the best money can buy!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Nope. Not normal. Call someone. Make a deal for a discount or send it back after they ship the new one. And keep those photos. Email them to the manufacturer and demand some type of resolve.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Absolutely not. Make a big fuss and act highly unsatisfied, even if you're not that worked up. For that kind of money, someone is responsible for making sure you get flawless shells.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks for your replies.

It's really sad. I would not have expected this from Yamaha. Tomorrow I will show the kit to my dealer and ask him what can be done about this. As was said before, I want to be the one who puts the first scratch on a kit.

Stupidly the kit had arrived just a few days before my vacation (about 3 weeks ago) and I noticed the scratches only now. I didn't even have the opportunity to set up my kit yet. I hope my dealer accepts that.

More opinions welcome!

Greetings,
d.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

I have exactly the same kit as you and I don't have any of the marks I'm seeing in your pictures.

I agree that it's a lot of money to pay for drums and have them show up this way. I would jump on this immediately and maybe even get Yamaha directly involved. My experience with calling them directly (I live about an hour away from Yamaha USA headquarters in Buena Park, CA) has been pretty good although it was more questions than complaints. Just be honest and straight forward in how you proceed. I'd send emails to Yamaha customer service (politely worded) and cc: the dealer.

These are great drums. I look at an investment in this level of drums as being possibly for a lifetime. Both you and I got a wonderful finish that won't bear up to as much abuse as the wrapped versions. However, I had the Yamaha drum rep strongly recommend getting the Vintage finish MCAN's for sonic reasons when I was going to get wrapped versions. I've been very happy with them but use my Gretsch laminated kit for live work and try to use the Yamaha's for recording, practice and special, less 'blue collar' work.

Still - you should draw 'first blood' when it comes to knicks and scratches - if that even happens.
If you're careful, you can avoid that. Proceed with getting it rectified, whether that's a retroactive discount or a new drum. But be happy with the result when you spend this kind of money.

Jim
Old 10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

well, what are 3 weeks on a kit you've waited 6 months for. Accept nothing but "sorry sir, we will get you a new, flawless bassdrum in less than 2 months".

Good luck with it. I am curious about the whole set.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

As for going on vacation cool...but I would accept nothing less from the SOB but either a new BD or a HUGE discount and their apology! You did not put those on there and you refuse to accept them....PERIOD

Nice looking finish, would love to see the rest of the kit. Congrats on the purchase and best of luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks again for the comments. Unfortunately, my drum dealer is on vacation until the end of the week, but his colleague told me not to worry about the three (or four) weeks.

Greetz,
d.