DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-13-2008, 04:10 AM

Default Specific Head Questions

Have some sound issues on specific drums I am trying to solve for my son's kit and mine, please help.

He has a 20x20 maple kick drum. I put an EMAD2 on it with a stock Reso and I just can't get a whole lot out of it at all, suggestions?

We both use EC2 batter heads for our toms. I love these, but on each of our 10" toms they really sem to choke the sound out, suggestions?

I have a Black Panther 12x7 snare with an Evans HD Dry on it, and it does sound, but again will not cut through the noise. I like the dry sound but like it to cut a little more, suggestions.

My son has a 13x7 DDRUM maple snare with just stock heads. want to change these and he wants a loud crack without alot of ring, please help with your suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

I would like to stick with Evans, and play heavy rock
Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
TheArchitect

Default Re: Specific Head Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpar5912 View Post
Have some sound issues on specific drums I am trying to solve for my son's kit and mine, please help.

He has a 20x20 maple kick drum. I put an EMAD2 on it with a stock Reso and I just can't get a whole lot out of it at all, suggestions?

We both use EC2 batter heads for our toms. I love these, but on each of our 10" toms they really sem to choke the sound out, suggestions?

I have a Black Panther 12x7 snare with an Evans HD Dry on it, and it does sound, but again will not cut through the noise. I like the dry sound but like it to cut a little more, suggestions.

My son has a 13x7 DDRUM maple snare with just stock heads. want to change these and he wants a loud crack without alot of ring, please help with your suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

I would like to stick with Evans, and play heavy rock
I would replace the EMAD with an Eq3 on the kick batters. THose should open up the sound.

On the toms, if you want to stick with the EC lines, you might try an EC1 on 10". Its the single ply version which should sustain better than the 2 ply on that drum.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM

appreciate the reply, can other offer their input to, also around the snare questions. The options seem endless and overwhelming. The only restriction is that I would rather stay with Evans, but I really can't tell you why.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Well here's my suggestion.....
The snare... Put an Aquarian Focus X on..... Real dry and eliminates almost all of the ring and leaves a great tone.....As for the kick i use an EMAD single ply coated and it's amazing

Cheers !!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM

McBrain

How about the reso side for the bass and snare, suggestions

thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpar5912 View Post

The EMAD2 is a 2-ply muffled head. Muffling = softer. Try an EMAD (1-ply) if you must have the muffling, or better yet something like a PS3 or EQ4. The drum will be much louder. Also take everything out of the drum.

Tune the bass drum past the popular "just above wrinkle" stage. That tuning can be good for mikes, but for unmiked not so much. From JAW, raise the reso very gradually until it makes a real tone with some bottom and sustain. Stop there. Now tune the batter just a bit higher. The higher you put the batter the more attack and less sustain you get. You can pretty much dial it in to where you like.

These techniques will make the bass drum quite a bit louder.

Quote:
Experiment with tuning each tom to find where it sounds best. Starting from finger tight raise both heads very gradually, keeping both at the same pitch and keeping lug-to-lug tuning decent. After you pass the flappy-sounding stage, you'll reach a stage where the drum really opens up and sounds louder and punchier. Go above this and it will begin to sound choked. Put it where it sounds best, even if it doesn't fit your predetermined tuning scheme.

Also, if you ordinarily put your resos higher than the batters, for this drum keep them at the same pitch; it will increase sustain and may match your other toms better.

Quote:
If you're playing out unmiked, avoid "dry" or otherwise muffled snare batters. Muffling = softer. Use a coated 1-ply (Remo Ambassador or Evans G1) and let the drum ring. Tune it well and it will be a pleasant ring. It's the ring that helps it cut through the band. If you hear your drums played by someone else, from a distance in a venue-sized room, you'll realize that most of the ring disappears but the drum sounds louder. Muffled batters sound soft and lifeless from a distance even if they sound just right from the driver's seat.

Quote:
Again, 1-ply coated batter, and either a Remo Ambassador hazy snare side or an Evans Hazy 300. Tune well and let it ring. If that much ring is too much for you in your practice space, throw a studio ring on it. Just remember to take it off for gigs! ;-)
Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

I'm with drumtechdad - the EMAD2 (2!!) is too much for the 20" BD. Too thick and muffled. I'd honestly try one of the EQ heads on that BD. It'll open it up a good amount.

EC2s are great heads but on a 10" tom...if your not very careful, will sound like a cardboard box. Again - it's a thick 2 ply head WITH a control ring (the silver ring). I'd personally go with G2s all the way around. But then again head selection and the perfect "sound" is a personal choice. EC22 and thick premuffled heads are great for studio work, close micing & live shows, and practice rooms but I can't recommend them in a live acoustic setting. Not a lot of projection in those heads.