DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default 20" Azure ride 2035g

20" Azure ride 2035g. Super sweet classic sounding Big Band ride or small combo acoustic jazz ride in the flavour of Elvin Jones to my ear.

Don't get the Paiste 602 and Old A comparison i've read about myself at all. Sounds like a brighter old intermediate stamp Turkish K to my ears but with it's own unique modern voice. Brighter quality but with deep tones and character coming from what you would expect from a hand hammered Turkish B20 cymbal. Great clear stick click on top and lush smooth rich wash. Superb clear sharp {IE: loud} musical bell sound and a full explosive rich crash sound that would have had Elvin grinning from ear to ear. Actually if he was still alive I believe the Azure line would be the modern pies he would choose to play.

Another great Agop and do check out this new Azure line is my advice :} Many thanks to Noel at Heartbeat Percussion here in Canada for bringing in this new Azure line of pies from Agop.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-16-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 AM

Default Re: 20" Azure ride 2035g

Those Azures are really NICE Steamer. I have the 22" version of the Azure ride. Mine, to me, sounds like an old A. I love it. When I heard these at NAMM, I was blown away. Definitely not the usual AGOP trash sound. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogyyz View Post
Those Azures are really NICE Steamer. I have the 22" version of the Azure ride. Mine, to me, sounds like an old A. I love it. When I heard these at NAMM, I was blown away. Definitely not the usual AGOP trash sound. Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks she's a beauty Snowdogyyz

Might be just sample variation but this 20" Azure at 2035g sounds more like an old cleaner less trashy Turkish K than an old American A to my ears. This particular sample had a certain particular character over several others I tested yesterday but all sounded very good in their own way. A few of the others could have had a bit more of the old A sound quality you're hearing for sure. Variations in weight could be a key factor too. Still something dark going on underneath in the Azures I don't hear on old A's though. Just me. Some of the 22" Azure rides sounded amazing too I tested but this 20" had a something going on I really liked that just plain stood out. The glassy clear stick sound always staying on top over a smooth wash was sweet but when I heard the powerful rich crash and then the clear ringing note of the bell sound it was a done deal to open the wallet.

Oh yes these don't have the usual level of Agop trash for sure. They have a cleaner overall vibe yet still with the underlying hidden trash factor still in there going on with a rich dark thing happening too, just more subtle. I hear certain comparative qualities to my old pre-split Istanbuls in these too. Totally impressed and congrats on your own Azure score.

People should seriously check out the new Azure line.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-10-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

It will be a while till I get a good sound file of mine but here's one of the 20" Azure at 2060g from the CymbalsOnly site that is close. Mines a wee bit different but in the rough same zone of character and is close to the same weight. Great stick click, smooth wash and amazing crash on this sample too:

http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/a.../20az2060p.mp3

P. S. Thread highjack allowed :} :

Played a whole bunch of the Epoch rides from the second batch to Canada for my selection of one for a chap for his recording studio yesterday too. Many were slightly different than the first batch samples and only a few that were very similar to the first run models I tested and selected mine from. Some had smaller hand hammering marks top and bottom and they didn't have the pronounced hooked edge. Only 3 of several tested had the larger hammer marks as seen on mine with a more noticable hooked edge. None were as heavy as mine at 3025g and not one had the same degree of a very pronounced hooked edge as seen on my sample in direct comparison. Can say now that my sample is a real oddball and is drier, deeper in pitch than any of others i've heard and has more of the defined "caw" sound under the stick click, very Tony like with a somewhat wild raw character too in the mix which I atribute to it's very steep hooked edge and added weight. All the new ones were very nice though don't get me wrong being a bit smoother in general tone and character. The one I selected for the studio gentleman was a mix of both worlds with a smooth lush wash but a bit of that "caw" dark under the stick character with some nice icey stick attack on top in the mix. He'll be happy :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-10-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
KARL MEMBER

Certainly another beautiful addition to your "small" collection of Agops. ;-)
I really like the sound of the 2060g pie as it sounds bright like a Traditional, yet it has a mellow wash and stick definition.

Indeed compareable with old Turkish Ks or even Dream Bliss rides...

Very nice although I still prefer the trashy, complex and dark Agops. =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Certainly another beautiful addition to your "small" collection of Agops. ;-)
I really like the sound of the 2060g pie as it sounds bright like a Traditional, yet it has a mellow wash and stick definition.

Indeed compareable with old Turkish Ks or even Dream Bliss rides...

Very nice although I still prefer the trashy, complex and dark Agops. =)

Karl

The posted sound file of the other sample only gives you a rough idea of the sound in the flesh of the Azure but gives you a pretty good idea of the general character. This particular sample of mine Karl has a real nice mix of old and new going on . Very "Elvin" type of vibe but sounds like a modern Agop. Still has a hint of the well known Agop "trash" sound just more hidden, subtle and less upfront, more activated in character so to speak if that makes sense. The hand hammering top and bottom is more subtle like you see on some old Turkish K's and the pin style lathing is very different too compared to other Agops I own. The bell has a smoother transition IE:bridge that you don't see on most Agops. Really like the clear stick click, lovely smooth wash and sparkling easy to open up full crash and this 20" Azure has one of the best singing clear bells i've ever heard on an Agop to date. Just another sound to add to the Agop mix.

A nice addition and contrast to my other Agop rides in my "small" collection :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-11-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

No endorser hype here and honest to God this 20" Azure was super sweet in a acoustic jazz quintet setting today. The old Turkish K vibe i'm hearing meeting with a modern somewhat cleaner Agop character really showed it stuff and the blend with the other instruments was a complete knockout. I think it's the clean defined but not pingy clear stick click over the bright sparkle/dark warm smooth wash and undertones that seals the deal for me combined with a very controlled level of a more subtle degree of the Agop "trash" factor.

These new Azures are really a great addition to the Istanbul Agop lineup especially when heard in the context of playing music. Combined it today with my dry and complex 18" Agop Sig crash and the contrast between the two made for nice combo musically speaking. I'm sold! :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful! I've been wanting to check out these new plates in person (although your vivid description almost comes close enough steamer). Looks like it rounds out the collection nicely.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Beautiful! I've been wanting to check out these new plates in person (although your vivid description almost comes close enough steamer). Looks like it rounds out the collection nicely.
Thanks youenjoy00myself and it's certainly adds a nice brighter quality of voice giving some added contrast into the mix when combined and paired up with some other my more complex, dark and mysterious sounding Agop pies.

I do hear a hint of the well known Paiste sparkle in this 20" Azure ride interesting enough more so than any previous Agop B20 Turkish vibe handmade pies. Still retains the Agop dark character underneath in the low pitched complex {but smoother in the case of the Azures} wash though.

Think many well find these pretty sweet for many different types of music when they get a chance to hear them in the flesh.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Spent the weekend trying some various cymbal combos in my Agop family with the new 20" Azure ride for some studio recording yesterday. Have a few personal favorites for the dramatic sense of excellent cymbal contrast. Several good mixes were discovered but one of my personal favorites was my mean,dark and unique sounding Epoch ride in the main position with the smooth defined sparkling Azure ride on the left {great ride and crash sound} and my med. heavy green label Sig hats. This small combo of cymbals offered a HUGE variety of sounds to work with within the music. Heard some playbacks and was very happy with the contrasting cymbal sounds they offered in a acoustic jazz setting. Yummy!

Love having this new Azure in the overall cymbal mix.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
lewisn27

wow.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Used the 20" Azure in a classic Big Band setting tonight. This is the group setting I intended the cymbal for when purchased which I will be involved with for a while and it was complete perfection for this band and music. Just the perfect ride sound for this large ensemble playing classic Big Band charts. Outstanding cushion,wash and stick for fitting in the overall mix just right.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

Hey Steamer, great looking addition! And thanks for the sound clip - that Agop is awash in darkness - beautiful tone and nice projection while still holding on to that darker wash, very nice...
Good drumming man!