DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Metallica - Death Magnetic. They're at it again. (heads up)

Just a heads up for all you Metallica fans. Tomorrow (sept 12th) is the launch date of Metallica's new album.

Almost every Metallica fan on earth was disappointed by St. Anger in 2003. Most think St. Anger was one tooo many for Metallica, and was. I'm shocked that they came out with yet another album, but it will no doubt be a lot less disappointing than before. I must say that I'm surprised how how much younger this new album sounds, even though the members are getting older. It doesn't compare to their mid to late 80's stuff, but it's fantastic for some old guys who are approaching grandfather age within the coming years.

Here's a preview for those interested.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwATakgmMA

I would also like to hear any opinions people have about the band coming out with another album. Is the greatest metal band of all time milking money from the die-hard fans? Or are they simply to young at mind to give up rocking?

Good guys simply just can't stop rocking, but Lars needs bigger drums!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Metallica - Death Magnetic. They're at it again. (heads up)

I'm not ready to say yet whether or not I think they're milking it. Sometimes I think they are because the last few releases have been pretty much garbage. And then they released the DVD that basically just showed them fighting a lot. Still not sure what that was for.

But then I also think that maybe they're just trying to get back to their niche.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
And then they released the DVD that basically just showed them fighting a lot. Still not sure what that was for.
Money.

I think the new stuff sounds like it should have follwed "And Justice For All." I can't stand the pompus attitude that Lars has. That said, I'll prolly buy it.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Gold Member

I heard a few songs, it's actually good.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 AM

having never been a fan of Metallica (but being an avid metal listener) , i can objectively say that the samples i heard on YouTube were very unremarkable....

i understand that they've made their contribution to the world of music (The Black Album, most would argue), and i think they need to just step back and leave it at that. Of course, if that were to happen, the money wouldn't flow as quickly. I believe at this point in the game, it's purely for profit....there's certainly no new ground being paved with the music, OR the production (the drums mainly)
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM

It bugs me that people diss Metallica so much because they had some amazing albums in the 80s and can't/ wont/don't wont to re create what they did then.

I'm one of the few I know that likes Load and Reload - you have to let go of the past and move on. I think those 'true' fans would be happy if they stopped playing and writing at 'Justice' well no offence but screw them. They don't own Metallica and Metallica don't owe them anything. The way I see it is that a band writes music if people like it then cool, if not tough - go and listen to something else.
http://www.trippywicked.com
Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM

I dont think every metallica fan was dissapointed with St Anger!!! i wasnt...

thing is metallica made awesome albums back in the past just music is changing, people are changing.

i think all there albumbs even death magnetic awesome!!

and funk me Rob is one hell of a bassist!!

Metallica are my fav band in the world!!! never dissapoint me!!

I PLAY A TAMA STARCLASSIC
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM

i think this album is good its nothing like the old days but its still the same group of guys making good music also there live shows have improved so much i saw them a month ago and it was one of the best gigs of the year for me.i hope they keep going until they die andi think they will
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM

I heard "Flamingo" and other samples from songs, I can't even pick up Ride The Lighting out of my CD case anymore because of that.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westicle View Post
It bugs me that people diss Metallica so much because they had some amazing albums in the 80s and can't/ wont/don't wont to re create what they did then.
Why? That's a perfectly good reason to criticize a band. I like to diss Metallica for not making another '...And Justice..', because that's the Metallica I like, not anything else that followed. I don't think that's grounds to condemn me to a 'screwing'.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

It's amazing, I just about the album and I listened to the entire thing begining to end. I have to say I'm shocked. I'm extremely impressed and now I have even more of a reason to be excited to see them live.

If it wasn't for Metallica, I wouldn't be who I am now.
I have the deepest respect for them.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM

It's by far the comeback album of the year and probably of the decade. I'm going on a big limb and saying that it's their best since Justice.

The stripped down production by Rubin brings out the genius of Hetfield. The riffs are great and endless. It sounds like Rick Rubin locked Lars in a studio for a year and said, "Practice!!!!!!!" He sounds better than he has in years.

I have been listening to this entire record for almost a week now and it's wearing thin to me at all. I am totally back on board with them. Despite their weaker recent work and that pathetic movie, they have reclaimed their status. Not bad for a bunch of guys in their mid-40's!

I I know they will be playing material from this record on the tour, I getting a ticket.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketman View Post
It's by far the comeback album of the year and probably of the decade. I'm going on a big limb and saying that it's their best since Justice.

The stripped down production by Rubin brings out the genius of Hetfield. The riffs are great and endless. It sounds like Rick Rubin locked Lars in a studio for a year and said, "Practice!!!!!!!" He sounds better than he has in years.

I have been listening to this entire record for almost a week now and it's wearing thin to me at all. I am totally back on board with them. Despite their weaker recent work and that pathetic movie, they have reclaimed their status. Not bad for a bunch of guys in their mid-40's!

I I know they will be playing material from this record on the tour, I getting a ticket.
I saw 'em last night and they played a few new tracks. They sounded ok but a little too fast for a big echoey venue. The black album stuff sounded huge though. They were wicked.
http://www.trippywicked.com
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:

Dude my thoughts exactly Metallica doing what they do best!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'll agree with that for the most part. I wouldn't cut it back as far as Justice though. Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman were on Black album, which right there makes it hard to beat, despite what Portnoy seems to think.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

After listening to the whole album, finally, I'm impressed. It doesn't have the soul or "metal power" that's in songs like Fade to Black or One, but I'm sure finding it easy to get up and head bang to, so much energy. I'll give this one an 8/10. 7/10 by Metallica standards.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the mastering of the album. I'm sitting here having heard some of the tracks and now I'm listening to 'Ride The Lightning' and the biggest difference is really the production. The actual songs are reasonable on the new album, but it's so poorly mixed and mastered it takes all enjoyment out of it. Shame.

On the other hand, a local record store is selling all of the Metallica back catalogue for 7 each CD. Time to re-buy those CD's I scratched to Hell when i was 15.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the mastering of the album. I'm sitting here having heard some of the tracks and now I'm listening to 'Ride The Lightning' and the biggest difference is really the production. The actual songs are reasonable on the new album, but it's so poorly mixed and mastered it takes all enjoyment out of it. Shame.
You're right, it isn't all that great, but at least it's loads better than St. Anger. It was almost as if that album was recorded in a budget home studio, even if they intended for it to be that way.

The main thing that's bugging me on Death Magnetic is the volume, it's almost half that of a regular song. Unless I have bad files?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well... judging by what I'm hearing they shouldn't be half the volume. The inherent problem is that they've been mastered far too loud and that's causing a lot of digital clipping!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post

On the other hand, a local record store is selling all of the Metallica back catalogue for 7 each CD. Time to re-buy those CD's I scratched to Hell when i was 15.

Yeah, I really have to agree. Whoever mixed and mastered it did a half ass job.

But, imagine this. If it was properly mastered, it would sound alot better. Still though, I really like the album. Once you get past the recording (which was easy for me) the music is good.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 PM

I listened to bits and pieces of Death Magnetic last night, during smoke breaks at band practice. I liked what I heard a lot - I'm listening to the whole thing through right now. They sound like a much more mature, skillful, technically proficient band covering the older Metallica sound. It has a very progressive feel to it and it actually rocks pretty hard. Driving rhythms, dark chord progressions; engaging, oldschool guitar duos, shredding solos. Hetfield is conspicuously more forceful with his voice than he's been in recent times. It's a welcome return to metal, and I like it.

Ten songs, 75 minutes play time.

Seems to me that there is absolutely NOTHING that Metallica could do today that would not be controversial, generating mixed reviews and emotions. They've been around so long and have explored such a wide range of sound... People are going to love this album and hate it. And everything in between. As usual.

So far I'm diggin' it and I expect I'll be turning up loud in the car for a few weeks - until I get sick of it.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Better than st. anger.

But what's up with the production? I know Rubin likes to mix up his approach sometimes, but this sounds - for lack of a better word... pants.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 PM

OK, I've heard it all the way through. There is a lot on it to like, and not much in the way of mediocrity. Overall, a strong and listenable album. Not quite as visceral as the older sound they are returning to, but an engaging rocker for sure.

Here's the Rolling Stone review, which I think is spot-on:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...death_magnetic
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

I heard some of it and overall I find the "retro" type sound quite interesting. Not to start some Lars bashing, but in my opinion, some of his parts kill the song, like on "The Day That Never Comes." That's just me though...

All this is only a first impression, I'll have listen to all of the album for a bit before having a final opinion.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Pioneer Member

I still haven't heard it all the way through, though I just felt like sticking up for St. Anger because I thought that it was great album. It just wasn't the sound that people wanted to hear. Songs like "Purify" and "The Unnamed feeling" were great, same with "St. Anger" itself.

My opinion, but there we go.

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
I still haven't heard it all the way through, though I just felt like sticking up for St. Anger because I thought that it was great album. It just wasn't the sound that people wanted to hear. Songs like "Purify" and "The Unnamed feeling" were great, same with "St. Anger" itself.

My opinion, but there we go.

T
I know what you're saying, it was mostly the die hard Metallica fans who were disappointed. It takes a more open find to appreciate the album.

The only song I could really enjoy on that album was Frantic. Some Kind of Monster was some kind of crap, it was almost as if they were trying way to hard.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sure I'll get beat up for this (but I can take it).

I heard that tune "The Day That Never Comes" today on the way to work and honestly, in my opinion, it sounded awful. I thought the drumming was just terrible. It feels awkward and sloppy...and like others have said - it sounds like it was mixed in someone's garage on second-hand equipment.

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent. I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.
Well said. People in general are afraid to be unique these days. Metallica could still be mega-rock stars if they kept their original sound past Black album.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I'll get beat up for this (but I can take it).

I heard that tune "The Day That Never Comes" today on the way to work and honestly, in my opinion, it sounded awful. I thought the drumming was just terrible. It feels awkward and sloppy...and like others have said - it sounds like it was mixed in someone's garage on second-hand equipment.

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent. I didn't pay any attention to what they did afterward because it appeared (and sounded) like they were trying to change with the times, rather than sticking to what made their sound to begin with.
i noticed that too when i heard it. i was wondering if it was just me.

i think music is at a pivotal point right now, and i dont think there is much metallica can do for themselves in the 'big picture' of musical evolution. if they went back to the old sound, then its boring cause its already been done. when they try something different, like St. Anger, people hate it. its the bitter dilema of being totally past your peak.

but im no metallica fan anyways, so dont call me on that.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

I was never a fanatical Metallica fan but I did like some of the earlier tunes and the "black album" was excellent.
Vinnie, can you hear me gagging?!! LOL I just lost my breakfast! Please do not take offense Vinster. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Bob Rock became a member of the band with the black album. Bob "friggin" Rock. The name says it all. I cannot even listen to one song from that album with out wanting to tease my hair, put on make up and start dancing.

I disowned them with the Black Album. Total sell outs. But that is OK, they are rich and I am not. I believe Lars has gone through more kits than Zambizzi and me combined.

If Metallica hadn't preached in the early days about "no" image and "new age metal from England", I might not have had a problem with their complete 180. But, they turned into complete and utter hypocrites. Plus, they didn't even attempt to help other bands from the early thrash scene.

But, I did listen to a couple of cuts from their new album and I am not impressed at all.

The songs lack "heart". Sounds like they are trying to hard to go back to the old days. Perhaps the criticism from all of the old, disgusted fans finally got to them.

The productions sucks, but that is a given. Ruben kind of does that. Way to raw.

But, if you listen to some of Slayer's latest stuff by Ruben, it has "heart". Slayer is the only old time "Thrash/Speed Metal" band that didn't sell out. Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax sold their souls.

Now, I am completely biased against Metallica for so many reasons. So, perhaps my opinion should not be counted.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are true masterpieces. I cannot ever take those albums away from Metallica.

Metallica and VH are similar.

You have Van Halen with Dave which is TRUE VH. Very unique and ground breaking. Amazing, timeless stuff.

You have VH with Sammy. OK pop rock stuff, but very generic without the attitude. Definitely not VH.

You then have Metallica with Cliff and Metallica without.

Simply put, Metallica became a money making business. They were no longer "artists" after And Justice.

Enough said.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 PM
lewisn27

i have heard "the day thast never comes" it is alright, got that 80's feel, but the drums sound better and so does the guitar tone.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Vinnie, can you hear me gagging?!! LOL I just lost my breakfast! Please do not take offense Vinster. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Bob Rock became a member of the band with the black album. Bob "friggin" Rock. The name says it all. I cannot even listen to one song from that album with out wanting to tease my hair, put on make up and start dancing.

I disowned them with the Black Album. Total sell outs. But that is OK, they are rich and I am not. I believe Lars has gone through more kits than Zambizzi and me combined.

If Metallica hadn't preached in the early days about "no" image and "new age metal from England", I might not have had a problem with their complete 180. But, they turned into complete and utter hypocrites. Plus, they didn't even attempt to help other bands from the early thrash scene.

But, I did listen to a couple of cuts from their new album and I am not impressed at all.

The songs lack "heart". Sounds like they are trying to hard to go back to the old days. Perhaps the criticism from all of the old, disgusted fans finally got to them.

The productions sucks, but that is a given. Ruben kind of does that. Way to raw.

But, if you listen to some of Slayer's latest stuff by Ruben, it has "heart". Slayer is the only old time "Thrash/Speed Metal" band that didn't sell out. Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax sold their souls.

Now, I am completely biased against Metallica for so many reasons. So, perhaps my opinion should not be counted.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are true masterpieces. I cannot ever take those albums away from Metallica.

You have Van Halen with Dave which is TRUE VH. Very unique and ground breaking. Amazing, timeless stuff.

You have VH with Sammy. OK pop rock stuff, but very generic without the attitude. Definitely not VH.

Simply put, Metallica became a money making business. They were no longer "artists" after And Justice.

Enough said.
Add Justice to the list of masterpieces.

The Black album was fantastic! Enter Sandman! Nothing Else Matters!

I think you're getting the Black album mixed up with load/re-load!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Enough said.
I sirously doubt that...lol

But, Sammy with Van Halen was fun. He was a lively person and had a good stage presence. Dave (at least now) seems very...planned. Iy's just all staged. It's fun, but Sammy made it more lively and unpredictable.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

See Mikey, I just don't care enough about Metallica and its past to compare the prior albums to the black album, what they said or did in the past, etc. I liked what I heard on that album more than the stuff I had heard from their earlier albums...but I'm not die-hard so I don't have the background on it. My clean, unbiased, virgin ears liked the black album...nothing else stood out to me. :)

I liked Van Halen better with Sammy...Dave always seemed like a goofy-ass clown to me and I don't see their music with Dave as any more or less "commercial".

Most artists produce these albums with the intent of commercial gain, forget what anyone says otherwise. It's how they launch big tours and make their scratch. I don't see any problem with that at all, personally...I wish them all great success. I hope they continue to "sell out" for decades to come! When they start to make crappy music and put shorter-term commercial success before creativity...or their image begins to wear out...they'll see lower sales and a diminished fan-base.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
See Mikey, I just don't care enough about Metallica and its past to compare the prior albums to the black album, what they said or did in the past, etc. I liked what I heard on that album more than the stuff I had heard from their earlier albums...but I'm not die-hard so I don't have the background on it. My clean, unbiased, virgin ears liked the black album...nothing else stood out to me. :)

I liked Van Halen better with Sammy...Dave always seemed like a goofy-ass clown to me and I don't see their music with Dave as any more or less "commercial".

Most artists produce these albums with the intent of commercial gain, forget what anyone says otherwise. It's how they launch big tours and make their scratch. I don't see any problem with that at all, personally...I wish them all great success. I hope they continue to "sell out" for decades to come! When they start to make crappy music and put shorter-term commercial success before creativity...or their image begins to wear out...they'll see lower sales and a diminished fan-base.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Cheers Vinnie!!!

Great post.

Can't wait for the pics!!!!!!! I am probably going as crazy as you.

Still have the Pearls???
Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
Add Justice to the list of masterpieces.

The Black album was fantastic! Enter Sandman! Nothing Else Matters!

I think you're getting the Black album mixed up with load/re-load!
Mr. Cobra

I didn't mean load and re load.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone. I am serious in my post, but typing with a smile and joking around. So, if I offend anyone, I apologize.

That said and out of the way, Justice is FAR from a masterpiece. That is when it all started falling apart. You know when you see a racecar just start to go sideways and you know the crash into the wall follow by the flips is just moments away? That is Justice. Black is the massive, fatal crash that follows!!!!

Kill 'em All 9 / 10
Ride the Lightning 9 / 10
Master of Puppets 11 / 10
Justice 7.5 / 10
Black 2 / 10 (Lar's does have an awesome fill on Wherever I may Roam. That raises it from a 0 to a 2)
Load 0 / 10
Re Load 1 / 10
St. Anger 2 / 10
New Album <5 / 10 from what I have heard.

You must be younger than I am. So, black probably came out right when you were at that impressionable age.

I am like that too. My guitar player is 5 or 6 years older than I am. We love the scorpions, just different times.

He loves everything before the blackout album, I like blackout and love at first sting.

It is all in fun, but Metallica has sucked for 20 years, in my opinion (which shouldn't stand for much). If you saw my ex wife, you would see that my opinions are not always right!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can't wait for the pics!!!!!!! I am probably going as crazy as you.

Still have the Pearls???
Oh man, you've REALLY got issues then. ;)

Yep, still have the Masters...probably always will. I'm going to order a 10"x8" tom in December, too!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Oh man, you've REALLY got issues then. ;)

Yep, still have the Masters...probably always will. I'm going to order a 10"x8" tom in December, too!
Great,

Looks like Deathmetalconga is going to be sending me a pair of sticks!!!!!

And yes, I have MAJOR issues!

Just got a quote for a 28 x 20 Battlefield matching bass drum cause my 26 x 18 isn't big enough!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Mr. Cobra

I didn't mean load and re load.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone. I am serious in my post, but typing with a smile and joking around. So, if I offend anyone, I apologize.

That said and out of the way, Justice is FAR from a masterpiece. That is when it all started falling apart. You know when you see a racecar just start to go sideways and you know the crash into the wall follow by the flips is just moments away? That is Justice. Black is the massive, fatal crash that follows!!!!

Kill 'em All 9 / 10
Ride the Lightning 9 / 10
Master of Puppets 11 / 10
Justice 7.5 / 10
Black 2 / 10 (Lar's does have an awesome fill on Wherever I may Roam. That raises it from a 0 to a 2)
Load 0 / 10
Re Load 1 / 10
St. Anger 2 / 10
New Album <5 / 10 from what I have heard.

You must be younger than I am. So, black probably came out right when you were at that impressionable age.

I am like that too. My guitar player is 5 or 6 years older than I am. We love the scorpions, just different times.

He loves everything before the blackout album, I like blackout and love at first sting.

It is all in fun, but Metallica has sucked for 20 years, in my opinion (which shouldn't stand for much). If you saw my ex wife, you would see that my opinions are not always right!
This would be my vote

Kill 'em All 10 / 10
Ride the Lightning 10 / 10
Master of Puppets 10 / 10
Justice 9 / 10
Black 10 / 10 (though it's not as heavy, I can easily listen to the entire album without being bored)
Load 7 / 10
Re Load 8 / 10 (Load and Reload weren't THAT bad, just differant)
St. Anger 8 / 10 (I liked St. Anger, it's not Metallica, but I liked it)
New Album 10 / 10 (I baught it, im as pleased as ever)

But, thats just me
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
This would be my vote

Kill 'em All 10 / 10
Ride the Lightning 10 / 10
Master of Puppets 10 / 10
Justice 9 / 10
Black 10 / 10 (though it's not as heavy, I can easily listen to the entire album without being bored)
Load 7 / 10
Re Load 8 / 10 (Load and Reload weren't THAT bad, just differant)
St. Anger 8 / 10 (I liked St. Anger, it's not Metallica, but I liked it)
New Album 10 / 10 (I baught it, im as pleased as ever)

But, thats just me
I'm seeing far too many perfect scores here. Surely you can find the flaws in five albums? That means that those five albums are utterly perfect. Well, they're not. Even Puppets has flaws - Leper Messiah is a good tune, but drags a bit and Kill 'Em All has really appalling lyrics. Look into it a bit deeper and you'll see what I mean.