DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default monitor suggestions?

im now looking for monitors for my band...

ive got the rest...just need some good monitors so i can actually hear the band!

and, my mixer pushes 500 @ 4 ohms and 300 @ 8 ohms..

thanks!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: monitor suggestions?

This all depends on what you want to hear through the monitors... oh, and I guess your budget might put some constraints on you as well. I'd also need to know how many monitors you'd like to run.

If budget is no issue, I'd pick up a few JBL Eon 2 powered speakers. They work great as monitors and you don't have to worry about amplification- just make sure you have a power outlet to plug into. You would have to use an UNpowered line out from your mixer, though, or you'd fry the JBLs.

If you're on an exceedingly tight budget, you might check out Kustom. They offer 16 ohm speakers, which is nice because you can put four of them on one channel, creating a 4 ohm load. The standard is 8 ohm, which means you can only use two of them on a channel. I don't know if your mixer is a 2 channel, or if the other channel is pushing your mains, but this is a good way to stretch your power.

200W is a good ballpark for a monitor. If you use 2 8 ohm monitors, each could be getting a max of 250W, which is no big deal for a 200W speaker (you only run into the max when you're really pushing things too hard). The 16 ohm speakers would be getting 125W each, which might be loud enough for your needs, depending on the efficiency of the speakers. I usually end up running my 200W monitors with about 150W each, and it's plenty loud enough for me and anyone else who's ever used my gear.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Pioneer Member

I picked up a Kustom 15" (200w, 8ohm). It pumps out some good bass when maxed out and has held up for 6 mos of gigging. Not the top of the line construction quality but a surprising bargain so far...They also have 10 and 12 models so check em out.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Like others have said are you looking for 4 monitors for the whole band or just 1 for you?
Your using a powered mixer just for your monitors right? How many aux sends does your board have? I ask to determine how many mixes you can run.
How tight is the budget?
Do you want to put your drums and bass guitar (as well as everything else) through the monitor?

On your myspace page your drums are not miced… is that the future plan?
It looks like it’s just vocals and maybe a little guitar in the PA mix. Am I correct?
The sound is a little thin as a result.

Here is a link to my son’s myspace page.http://www.myspace.com/crossresistance BTW he is only 12 so go easy on the drumming comments! :-)

Check it out and if you have decent computer speakers kill the recordings at the top and scroll down to the video. This is our PA setup for shows. My son the drummer runs his own sub and top cabinet as his monitor because we put his drums in the monitor mix.

Last edited by Numberonefan; 10-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
Here is a link to my son’s myspace page.http://www.myspace.com/crossresistance BTW he is only 12 so go easy on the drumming comments! :-)

Check it out and if you have decent computer speakers kill the recordings at the top and scroll down to the video. This is our PA setup for shows. My son the drummer runs his own sub and top cabinet as his monitor because we put his drums in the monitor mix.
I quit. He's 12 and he's already better than me... and I've been drumming longer than he's been alive. :-)

Be very cautious about having too much monitor volume on stage. Not only will it increase the overall volume (read, hearing damage), but it will also bleed more and more into the room and defeat what your mains are doing.

If you're really stuck for now, move your mains to the back of the stage and crossfire them (angle them in toward the middle). That way the band should be able to hear them just as well as the audience. If you're careful with volume, you won't have to worry about feedback, either (assuming your stage is decently wide and deep.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
I quit. He's 12 and he's already better than me... and I've been drumming longer than he's been alive. :-)

Be very cautious about having too much monitor volume on stage. Not only will it increase the overall volume (read, hearing damage), but it will also bleed more and more into the room and defeat what your mains are doing..
I think he is great for his age but I get all kinds of dickhead comments on every mistake he makes…
Going forward I have to enforce the stage volume issue. My son is constantly battling a marshal half stack and a 300 watt bass amp. I wears a higher end in ear protection at all shows.
You make a great point! The key to not spending a fortune on monitors and an overall better sound is keeping the stage volume in check. It’s tough when they are young to explain that a balanced mix of most everything is better for the front of house mix. The constant “MORE ME” Does not help the band.

Give us a few more details on what you’re looking for bojangleman
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
The constant “MORE ME” Does not help the band.
"More me" isn't necessarily a bad thing, but "more me" followed by "more bass," "oh, some more guitar," "Can I hear more backup vocals in my monitor?" and THEN "more me" is an issue.

I usually put in only the things that are necessary. For example, if I'm singing lead, I rarely will have backup vocals in my monitor. I can hear them just fine from their monitor. I usually won't put any drums in my monitor, and maybe only a tiny bit of bass.

My drummer, however, likes to have a little bit of everything in his wedge, including drums... I'll usually only give him lead vox, guitar, and some bass unless he asks for more (which he generally does... lol).

This really does bring us back to the conversation at hand... OP, what do you want to have in the monitors? If you don't need bass or kick, 10" or 12" monitors will suit you well. They can get sufficiently loud (depending on wattage, ohm ratings, and efficiency), and can cover everything except the lowest frequencies. The nicest thing is that they're SMALLER- smaller footprint on stage and lighter weight for hauling around.

Another option you might consider, again, depending on your needs, is the ButtKicker. It attaches to your throne and physically vibrates you. The idea is that it supports the bass notes by physical transmission rather than audible transmission. It's essentially like having a subwoofer strapped to your butt. I've known drummers who could get away with a Hot Spot monitor when they had a ButtKicker. The nicest thing about the BK is when you get up, it's almost silent. No added stage volume, and you get to hear the lows better.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

ha...sorry guys..

i forgot i made this thread.

well, i dont really know about the budget...maybe under 500?
but, i can get good deals at Guitar Center in my town. so, just tell me what you all would get i guess...and ill see..lol

but, i will be running vocals, bass, and guitar. in the future, ill be running drums through the pa. but i doubt ill need drums through my monitor ;)..haha

my board only have 2 outputs. right now, im just running 2 mains off the 2 power amps in it. but you can run the 2 amps seperate.

the Kustom route sounds good...so i can have my own monitor...cause i always cant hear the band..lol

thanks guys!
and NOF, i cant check your son's band out now..im at work...but i will when i get home.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 AM

What make and model is your mixer?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Soundcraft Gigrack 1000

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Soundcra...80-i1153460.gc

and, your sons band sounds good!
singer...ehh, but other than that...great!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM

Sound Craft makes some great equipment!
Looks like your limited to one monitor mix. If you not using the effects you may be able to use the FX out for a second mix… I’d have to read more to be sure.

As long as you run the front of house mix in mono you have the other side of the amp free to run 2, 8ohm monitors.
Guitar center has PV12 and 15’s or the JRX that would last you a long time and sound much better than the kustom stuff.

Or run a set of tops out of one side and a 4 ohm sub out of the other and get yourself a powered monitor and run a ¼ TRS to it.
I saw the tapco thump on the webpage. There are only 350 new and would be adequate.

These are buy no means high end but step above the bottom barrel Kustom and Behringer stuff.