DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-28-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Evans & Remo equivelants really different or same?

is there really a noticeable difference between the Evans equivalents to Remo heads?

ie. G1=Ambassador, G2=Emperor, EQ3=Powerstroke3...i believe those are some of the believed equivelants

some people have told me it's a matter of price and durability only, but not sound (saying Remo is cheaper, but Evans more durable). is this true?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans & Remo equivelants really different or same?

The differences are there, but are for some reason stressed, when not significant. If you had two identical drums tuned exactly the same way, with a G2 on one and an Emperor on the other, I doubt anyone could tell the difference. It's the quality of the heads that matters to me, Evans is usually higher quality. If someone wants to feel proud that they chose a G2 over an Emperor, let them, but it's not slight differences in a head that make a drummer good.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Well, I disagree with pretty much everything Ironcobra said. ;-)

The heads do sound different, even ones that share the same basic design. Since heads and tuning are about 80% of the sound of drums, it is in fact significant. A kit full of coated G1s does sound different from a kit full of coated Ambassadors, and so on.

In my own case, I use coated Ambassador batters on both toms and snares. I like the coated G1s, they are fine heads and I like how they sound--but I prefer the sound of coated Ambs.

Both are of professional quality. Just different. I do not believe you can justify the statement that "Evans is usually higher quality" with anything resembling facts.

It's worth noting that some individual drummers seem to wear the Remo coating off rapidly--but on the other hand there are many drummers (such as myself) who have never had premature wear issues in decades of using coated Remos. Because some drummers always have a problem with the coating yet others never do, one cannot logically blame the heads. Perhaps stick angles, use of chipped sticks, etc. have a role.

In any case, you'll find out if you're one who wears the coating off fast or not and that will obviously influence your decision.

If you don't know which brand of a particular design you want, why not buy one of each for just one drum? Try them one after the other and see which sound you like best.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Well, I disagree with pretty much everything Ironcobra said. ;-)

The heads do sound different, even ones that share the same basic design. Since heads and tuning are about 80% of the sound of drums, it is in fact significant. A kit full of coated G1s does sound different from a kit full of coated Ambassadors, and so on.

In my own case, I use coated Ambassador batters on both toms and snares. I like the coated G1s, they are fine heads and I like how they sound--but I prefer the sound of coated Ambs.

Both are of professional quality. Just different. I do not believe you can justify the statement that "Evans is usually higher quality" with anything resembling facts.

It's worth noting that some individual drummers seem to wear the Remo coating off rapidly--but on the other hand there are many drummers (such as myself) who have never had premature wear issues in decades of using coated Remos. Because some drummers always have a problem with the coating yet others never do, one cannot logically blame the heads. Perhaps stick angles, use of chipped sticks, etc. have a role.

In any case, you'll find out if you're one who wears the coating off fast or not and that will obviously influence your decision.

If you don't know which brand of a particular design you want, why not buy one of each for just one drum? Try them one after the other and see which sound you like best.
Well, I guess you've got me there. Although, I can go through the coating on a Remo head in about a week, but have yet to do so on an Evans head.

80% tuning and heads? Not true, DW would be out of business and CB would be competing with Wal Mart. An SQ2 shell, tuned and headed exactly the same as a CB shell is going to sound much better than that additional 20%.

Sure, heads sound different, but it's usually because we haven't had a chance to compare different heads on the same drum with identical tunings. I doubt anyone has ever done this, but it would be interesting, would make a good article.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:08 AM

Remo and Evans are both fine companies. For the differences, it's personal preference. I agree with ironcobra and drumtechdad, but when I listen to drums on recordings, I can not tell what brand of heads they use, or even when I go out to see a band live. So yeah, they do sound different, because two different manufacturers make them, but not enough to tell the difference. Go to a music shop and hit on different kinds of heads and see which sound/feel better to you as the drummer, and tell us what you decided to go with!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post

80% tuning and heads? Not true, DW would be out of business and CB would be competing with Wal Mart. An SQ2 shell, tuned and headed exactly the same as a CB shell is going to sound much better than that additional 20%.
I think what he was refering to was comparing high quality drums. 80% of the sound is tuning and head choices. I can also tell the difference in sound between heads. I play Evans because in my experience (20 years worth) the G2s are more durable and last longer than the Emporers. However, i think Remo sounds a little better but not enough to justify changing heads more often. Its purely personal preference. As far as the coating goes, its never been an issue with any head I have played.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:51 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysonors View Post
is there really a noticeable difference between the Evans equivalents to Remo heads?

ie. G1=Ambassador, G2=Emperor, EQ3=Powerstroke3...i believe those are some of the believed equivelants

some people have told me it's a matter of price and durability only, but not sound (saying Remo is cheaper, but Evans more durable). is this true?
EQ3 does not equal PS3. The EQ3 is a 2 ply head. The PS3 is single play

As far as G1 vs Amabassador for example, they are very similar but they are not exactly the same
Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

I can tell the difference between the G1 and the Coated Ambassador totally.

While I did play Evans heads for a while (about a year or so), and I liked them, (especially the Uno58) the Ambassador just has the sound I prefer.

I never have a problem with the Remo coating, but the Evans coating was great as well...always looked clean.

The Evans G2 heads are really nice sounding heads, but when I tried Evans heads G1's, Reso, etc...on the bottoms, the drums lost the crispness that I like.

The tone of the drum was good, but there was "something missing", and the crispness was gone, so I went back to Remo heads.

BUT if someone likes a softer attack and a more mid range beefy sound, then an Evans is a great choice.

If Evans still made the Uno58 head, I would probably be an Evans player. THAT head sounded like an Ambassador. Very crisp, but full, and had a great tuning range.

The new G+ heads are kinda cool, and I might give that one a whirl.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

My findings having played Remo for 20+ years and Evens for around 8 are purely personal preference.

I prefer the G2 coated on my toms. They seem to have a warmer more controlled sound and for me at least are extremely easy to tune. I also have to admit that that the switch was not an apples for apples comparison. I bought a new DW kit in 2000. The stock heads wore out and I wanted a warmer sound. I tried the G2s and never looked back.

I do find the G2s last a long time. I have to be honest I have never tried a Remo 2 ply coated head which I guess would be an Emperor. I may just have to do that.

I tried the G1 coated on th batter side of my snares many times and always went back to the Remo Ambassador and actually for the same reasons I like the G2 on the toms I do not like the G1 on my snares. It is to controlled, they are dryer and I like the natural overtones in a snare.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site