DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Anchoring slave pedal base plate?

hey all...did a quick search on this and didn't see much of anything that matched.

with my current rack setup, just about everything is now "guaranteed" to be in a consistent, unshifting location.
  • I'm "flying" the bass drum by mounting the tom upright post to the main rack bar
  • I've clamped the hi-hat stand, eliminating the use of legs
  • I'm using the Gibraltar "no-leg" setup to mount the snare stand to a vertical rack tube

Right now, the only thing that makes me need a gig rug or "grippy surface" is the slave-side of my double pedal. A common baseplate would require disassembly between gigs, and would be huge to pack up. I'd like to come up with a nice, consistent way to anchor the slave pedal to the base of the no-leg hi-hat stand...something that would allow the same level of consistency and speed as the rack connections.

Has anyone here on the boards come up with a home-brew solution for anchoring their slave pedal in relation to their hi-hat? Any pics, descriptions or diagrams would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Anchoring slave pedal base plate?

lets see some pictures.....

deathmetalconga may be the guy for the job here but ill give it my best shot.

what kind of hihat do you have?
what kind of pedal?

im thinking some kind of plate that is bolted to both your hihat and slave pedal. to disassemble you would remove the cam from the double pedals.

i dont know...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

oh yeah what shop skills do you have?
do you have tools?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmills View Post
lets see some pictures.....

deathmetalconga may be the guy for the job here but ill give it my best shot.

what kind of hihat do you have?
what kind of pedal?

im thinking some kind of plate that is bolted to both your hihat and slave pedal. to disassemble you would remove the cam from the double pedals.

i dont know...
I think the best solution would be to use a small mat (with rubber back and edges, thin, the kinds they use in public buildings). If you put scratchy velcro on the bottom of the base plate, I guarantee it won't go anywhere.

Other than that, we'd need to see some photos of the current setup.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

On pretty much any surface, a couple strips of (good) duct tape across the base plate and onto the floor should hold it in place.

The strips can be on the sides of the plate or run across it in a couple spots.
Quick and cheap solution.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

i think you could use a small mat that tied your pedals and throne

a small triangular piece of carpet maybe 3 feet on each side
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
On pretty much any surface, a couple strips of (good) duct tape across the base plate and onto the floor should hold it in place.

The strips can be on the sides of the plate or run across it in a couple spots.
Quick and cheap solution.
The trade offs are that duct tape looks awful, you have to hassle with carrying, installing and removing it, and it leaves advesive on the equipment and floors. And it won't work for some surfaces, like playing outside on the grass or dirt.

I am thinking that a percussion mount clamp, to hold 3/8 rod to cymbal stands, might be suitable to secure the pedal to the hat stand.

If DingerJunker could post some photos of his setup, that would be very helpful.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:42 PM

I will have photos up by Monday evening...busy weekend. Thanks for the replies. You'll have something to advise on soon.

As for the duct tape option...all the negatives are why I'm looking for a more "mechanical" option. Tape residue, inconsistent surfaces to tape onto (sometimes carpet, sometimes wood, sometimes linoleum, etc...), order of placement (to really tape down well, I'd need to place the slave pedal to the floor before clamping the Hi-Hat, which should be my point of reference.

In regards to the option of a massive anchor plate...I considered it, but am looking for something that will pack up easily. Perhaps if I was to machine a saimesed set of anchor plates, connected with a piano hinge or something similar so it could fold. I'd then only need a secure, reliable quick-release for the heel plate of either the slave pedal or the Hi-Hat. Once again, portability, speed of setup and reliability are all equal priorities...I like the fact that I can have my setup from the bags to gig-ready (or vice-versa) in well under ten minutes.

Pedals are previous-generation Gibraltar Intruders. Liquid-drive Hi Hat and strap-drive double bass.

As stated, expect pics as soon as possible.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Duct tape is good for an "in a bind" situation, not an "all the time" thing--misread your post....and everyone shot it down booooo-hooooo (;-P !!!).

Here's a couple ideas....If you are considering a "mechanical" solution for quick and easy set-up etc...

I don't know if, or how much money you'd want to spend to get every thing to work the way you want it too, but, what if....

You got a small piece of sheet metal secured under the no-leg hat plate and had it extend under where the slave plate would be.

You could drill holes for the hole patterns of where all the screws go for the hat stand, attach the hat stand to it, put some thin material on the sheet metal for Velcro under the slave plate to secure too, and it would be the same set-up every time.

You could trace out the shape of the slave plate and the hat stand footboard and trim it (so it would look good) if you wanted, or leave it square.

The only "downside" to this would be the small extension piece of metal (4-5") coming off the hat stand, but it would work, you'd have the same set-up every time, and you wouldn't have to worry about the surfaces you play on.

This might also work with a small piece of heavy duty flat pile carpet (attached by the screws of the hat stand--and reinforced so it doesn't rip apart after a time) that's big enough to go under the slave pedal.

The shape of the slave pedal could be cut out of the carpet easily, & you'd know exactly where to put the pedal every time, and the Velcro under the plate would keep it in place securely too.

The carpet would be attached to the hat stand like the metal would be, but you could at least wrap a small piece of carpet around the footboard for pack up.

There's give and take on the "hassle factor" when you want to make some custom thing work, but something like a clamp would be more hassle to me than a small piece of carpet you have to wrap around the footboard.

These are just ideas/options.
I don't know what your shop skills are, or what your money situation is, but hardware "projects" have always been fun to me in making stuff and figuring out how to make something work.
Quick and easy, and AsFreeAsPossible (AFAP) are my motto's.

A small piece of stiff sheet metal or carpet wouldn't cost that much at all.

Flat pile indoor/outdoor carpet is cheap as hell, and both can be found at a Lowes or Home depot type place.
You might even find some small scrap at a carpet store--they'd probably just give it to you since they throw that stuff out all the time (AFAP!)

Here's a 'spend some money' option.....

This is the hat/double pedal Janus pedal Mapex put out. Found some pics of it.
It works pretty nicely from all I've read about it (& I played it at the shop, pretty cool), and you'd only have to take the connection off for pack up.
You swivel the footboard to play the hat or as a DP.
It's pretty easy to work right off the bat.

You use a no leg hat and a clamp so the only difference in mounting is folded up legs.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...duct_trani.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...c/ee4429b6.jpg

Just another option...

Good luck and have fun.