DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Gretsch Catalina Maple Heads.

What type of heads would you get if you had this set for the toms? (Rock)

much help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Maple Heads.

I have Renown Maple and am using Evans G2 coated on the batter, and G1 for resonant heads.
You will find that combo a lot.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Personally, I think the best heads are Evans G1 Coated. These work all around for every situation, including being bottom heads and bass heads. My G2 Coated experiences have never really been that great. The heads are made fine, but I just can't get them to have a nice sound. A new trend are those EC2 heads. I've got those on my Mapex Pro M kit with g1s on the bottoms. The Ec2s are just too thick and dampened although not nearly as much as Pinstripes and such. I tried them simply because they were the new popular thing and although not a complete disappointment, I will be glad to be rid of them and get some nice g1 coated heads. If you want a musical, natural drum sound go for G1 Coated heads. Don't just go and buy ones that are the most popular which often are Pinstripes, EC2s, Powerstrokes, which all deaden the sound of the drum as well as reduce sensitivity and projection. Evans has new G-Plus heads which are thicker single ply heads that are probably OK too, but if you are breaking drumheads regularly there's a bigger problem
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM

I have a cat maple too man, and i am very happy with it!

Now I am using Evans G1 in toms, Emad in Kick and Power Center Reverse dot in snare

I think the better is:

Evans Power Center Reverse dot in snare (not much harmonics but the ones i need)
Evans Emad II or Aquarian Superkick II (i think my Emad single ply its not perfect)
Evans G1 on the rack toms and G2 in the floor tom(s) if you have the 6-piece)

Hope this help
Old 09-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

For rock, I would go for your typical 2-ply tom batter head to get a nice fat tone. Remo emperors, evans g2, aquarian super 2s. I don't understand the logic of "don't go for them just because they're popular". There's a reason they're popular, they work. You should be able to get a nice sound from your kit using heads like that barring a faulty head or drum, unless you don't want a fat tom sound, in which case you should buy thinner heads. Resonant heads- standard reso side clear or coated. Remo ambassador, evans g1...