DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Default SPD-S effects question...

Ok, so I bought an SPD-S a while ago and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time.

My question involves the effects on the unit. I gotta give you some backround first. I am rather disappointed with the onboard effects on the unit. They work but I feel like the interface isn't the best for effects nor are the available effects. You can't really switch out effects mid song either, unless you make a whole duplicate patch and switch it to that song with another effect. I am a drummer, needless to say I dont have much experience with electrics or recording.

I have the spd-s' left and right outputs going into left and right inputs on our mixer that go into the PA system. I don't know much about balanced vs. unbalanced cables or what line-level or inserts or whatever all that means. So, dispite all my rambling, heres the question:

Can I use generic guitar or vocal pedals wired to the output of the SPD-S to get some more useful effects without hurting anything equipment or sound quality? I imagine it would be simpler to adjust and turn and off the effects.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: SPD-S effects question...

I have an SPD-S that I run in stereo, usually thru 2 matching Roland PM-1's. Right channel dry (straight wire from machine to amp). Left channel wet. I run my left channel into an Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. loop station. The voodoo you can do there is "off the hook". That signal then goes into an Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal. That way I can control the vol. of the loop and fade my loops in and out of the mix. From the vol. pedal, signal goes to left channel PM-1. So yes, you can run your signal(s) onto any type guitar processors you want, basically.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the response.

So lemme get this straight. You have the PM-1s as left and right stereo channels basically, but only the left channel is effected by the pedals, meaning you only hear the effects on your left side? Interesting set up. I'm always intrigued to hear what people do with the same stuff I have.

If I wanted to hear the effects on both the left and right, I would have to have a pedal that accommodates both left and right inputs (not mono) or just run one mono cable out of the spds?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, the way I run my rig, the loops are only in 1 amp. Having them thru both amps would be a bit overkill. But anything I play that goes "bypass" thru the loop station hits the left channel in real time also, so it's not like the left channel is dead without a loop feeding it. For smaller gigs, I might only use 1 PM-1, or even my Roland KC-100. I've tweaked the SPD-S factory effects "quite" a bit, to where a bud (who also owns one) thought they were my own samples. But it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Most stomp boxes are mono, so your mono line out is your ticket. More expensive "effects" you buy, then you get stereo.