DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: 2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

The whole human error and machine intervention argument is complete rubbish because the game is played by...guess what..... HUMANS. That will never be taken away. you will always have a game filled with passion, struggle and emotion because that is the essence of a humanity.

The introduction of instant replay for dire situations where a ref isnt sure what the actual call should be wont affect anything negatively at all. The only thing that would change is you wouldn't have to suffer the injustice of an oversight by a ref...or what ever other motive may have made them ignore a goal or offsides...

if your so concerned about technology intervening then we shouldn't broadcast the games worldwide, or let the refs use ear pieces to communicate, or even use stop watches. We could hire more people to physically count the seconds on their hands and toes until an hour and a half has passed.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

No, you misunderstand my angle, Beats.

I actually like the the injustice - all that high drama and hand-wringing is good entertainment :) There are a lot of people who'd claim they don't like the injustice but who really get a charge out of being outraged. That's why they watch crap beat-ups on faux current affairs programs whose main message is GET ANGRY! Many people get off on the hot glow of self-righteous anger.

Yet, they are only small injustices. Either the strongest team or one of the strongest teams generally wins the WC and, when it comes down to it, it's only sport.

It's not as though we're talking childbirth or death or children with AIDS or someone becoming paraplegic ... it's football ... a bunch of guys chasing a ball around a paddock like a bunch of cattle dogs. It's cool and it's fun and when there's good skill and hot bodies on show it's really enjoyable. Some histrionics about bad calls is just icing on the cake. I only get annoyed at the wimpy, whiny, faux-grimacing divers but I think a change in attitude - really harsh punishments for diving across the globe - will stamp that turn-off out.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Pioneer Member

okay, well I see where you are coming from even though I completely disagree with you.

Inaccurate referring really has no place in the sport.. if you are looking for drama then I indeed suggest a reality show, OR just enjoy the tension and drama that comes with football naturally, and especially international football. The classic rivalries of England vs. Germany, and England vs. Argentina are plenty dramatic enough to get the blood boiling. Furthermore you are representing your country in a huge tournament that only happens every 4 years, so that adds to the tension...the horrible calls, that can go either way, are just wrong and unnecessary this day and age.

Every other sport understand the necessity of making accurate calls, especially when it can drastically affect the outcome of the game. FIFA and the IFAB are just a bunch of stupid stubborn old gits that are afraid of change, even though it wont hurt the game at all, it will just make it fair and true. I mean come on football is called the beautiful game...nothing beautiful about cheating and...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Okay Beats, we'll agree to disagree. I thought the same as you until last night until that penny dropped. In the end - reffing mistakes or not - a young and very fast Germany side put four goals past two older and slower sides, Oz and England. In both games you see that our two sides struggled to cope with the Germans' speed.

I'm a stubborn old biddy myself so I relate to stubborn old gits. I should ideally play everything to a click track but I can't be bothered with the messing around and the random factor is kind of fun.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 06-28-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Pioneer Member

It would be right and proper to see goalline technology introduced, but it's unlikely to happen with a man as stubborn and idiotiv as Sepp Blatter in charge.
**** me. 4-1. It sounds worse the morning after. Counter attacking football is usually such a joy to watch....

It would be nice if England used this humiliation to gain some balance in it's support for other sports. This proves once and for all that we're a top 16 footballing nation and nothing more. It'll be that way for decades, given the lack of young homegrown talent.

On a positive note, we've given the Aussies a good spanking at the cricket. Doesn't bode well for their Ashes campaign.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee View Post
If you're making a reference to my post a few pages back, I was merely chiming in on what the post game commentators said about the USA game and their views (particularly Alexi Lalas) on the lack of video replay.

I personally, think there should be some type of video replay. I just don't want it to slow the game down too much, but it shouldn't if done in moderation, especially on potential goal situations.
Not really your post, but I did hear those comments by Lalas and others, and I hear it alot from my Euro friends (and my Euro girlfriend) in the know about soccer. I totally disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I actually like the the injustice - all that high drama and hand-wringing is good entertainment :)
Injustice is good? Even when it can easily be prevented? I disagree with this too. And tbh, as a more casual observer of Soccer, it makes FIFA look like a joke and makes me say "why should I waste my time on it if they're just going to screw it up?" I want to see the real winner, not whoever happens to benefit from a blown call. Look at the Argentina - Mexico game. Mexico got screwed in that. The poor call changed the momentum of the game.

And the US got screwed too. 2 disallowed goals in 2 games. If they would have allowed the third goal in the Slovenia game, the US could have relaxed more and maybe rested some players against Algeria. That may have changed their chances against Ghana. (Ok, I"m reaching a bit here, but you see my point.)

And it's not just one instance. I expect this to happen almost every game now. It happened twice yesterday.

Quote:
Inaccurate referring really has no place in the sport.. .
Totally agree.

Quote:
Every other sport understand the necessity of making accurate calls, especially when it can drastically affect the outcome of the game. FIFA and the IFAB are just a bunch of stupid stubborn old gits that are afraid of change, even though it wont hurt the game at all, it will just make it fair and true. I mean come on football is called the beautiful game...nothing beautiful about cheating and...
Is it just FIFA that sucks so bad, or do other pro leagues around the world do the same thing?

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Injustice is good? Even when it can easily be prevented? I disagree with this too.
Injustice isn't good when it comes to sending a person to prison or losing them their job, but the drama and intrigue it adds to football is entertaining.

People will be yammering about this for years to come and a part of them will love every minute of their righteous anger. Why deny them that pleasure?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Injustice isn't good when it comes to sending a person to prison or losing them their job, but the drama and intrigue it adds to football is entertaining.

People will be yammering about this for years to come and a part of them will love every minute of their righteous anger. Why deny them that pleasure?
I'm with beats. I disagree as well. Isn't soccer entertaining enough without unnecessary drama caused by teams getting screwed out of hard earned goals? The real drama should be decided by the players and coaches, not poor refs.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM

And I just noticed Germany will play Argentina in the next round. That will be a good one to watch.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

we hear your point, but you're being a little Freudian with it. people would much rather celebrate a win or accurate calls.

if anything lets just chalk it up to the fact that you're a little bit sadistic, and like to see people writhe under the flame of injustice...when in football of course :)

Last edited by beatsMcGee; 06-28-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm with beats. I disagree as well. Isn't soccer entertaining enough without unnecessary drama caused by teams getting screwed out of hard earned goals? The real drama should be decided by the players and coaches, not poor refs.
No, it isn't entertaining enough. That's why more has been spoken about on TV and written about in the papers about the "goal that wasn't" than about the play. It's human nature - we need a villain, we need something to whinge and gripe about. That's why threads here with a negative theme get heaps of responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
we hear your point, but you're being a little Freudian with it. people would much rather celebrate a win or accurate calls.

if anything lets just chalk it up to the fact that you're a little bit sadistic, and like to see people writhe under the flame of injustice...when in football of course :)
Beats and Pav, if you take away the reffing blunders everyone will whinge, gripe and moan just as much. I've seen it introduced in other sports and the whingeing and moaning from fans hasn't decreased one iota.

... because they enjoy whingeing and moaning :)
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Administrator

And the almighty FIFA solves all of this by now prohibiting the showing replays of goals in the stadiums. How's that? Another reason why this sport will never make it in this country. Rather than get it out in the open let's just make the cover up even deeper. So FIFA is Foolish Idiots Failing Again
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And the almighty FIFA solves all of this by now prohibiting the showing replays of goals in the stadiums. How's that? Another reason why this sport will never make it in this country. Rather than get it out in the open let's just make the cover up even deeper. So FIFA is Foolish Idiots Failing Again
I hear ya, its insane. over time with enough pressure FIFA and the IFAB will eventually change their ways, but the world cup is only every 4 years....it will take a lifetime! makes me sad.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Posts #390 to #414 are all about the disallowed goal and replays, not about the play ...

lol
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Which means there is a major flaw in the system when the rules over come the game.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Correction: #390 to #416

:)
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

Bah, starting to dislike Brazil a bit. I donīt like them faking and diving like yesterdays match. Nice goals, but still. Looking forward to Portugal - Spain.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't entertaining enough.
Ok then. I'll just go back to watching hockey. At least they count the goals there!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

there seems to be a possibility of change:

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/...for-england-a/
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Goddamn Paraguay! I was hoping for Japan! They at least play football instead of faking like Paraguay. What a horrible match. GRRR!!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
there seems to be a possibility of change:

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/...for-england-a/

The title says it all... "Too little too late" but really how could he even live with himself if he didn't open back up the floor for debate over goal line technology.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

So who's it going to be? Brazil, Spain or Argentina?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
So who's it going to be? Brazil, Spain or Argentina?
Germany..................

Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Germany..................
I think so too. Its a well oiled machine thats ripping into all opponents consistently. And heck, they are playing a prettier game than Brazil to boot!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Pioneer Member

you never know though, Germany did gain a lot of confidence over the England match, but England was playing bad and pushed to far forward in hopes of catching some goals after their denied 2nd equalizer left them desperate. Doing so left their defense out of position and off balance with the counter attack.

Germany did well to capitalize on those situations against England, but I don't think they will see those chances in the upcoming matches. I do however feel they will beat Argentina, but ultimately I think Brazil is going to take it home again. Brazil is not playing that "pretty football" they are known for, but they are winning and playing well as a team with a solid attacking force and strong defense. That is what I think will carry them through.

I would like to see Netherlands get a WC trophy.

Last edited by beatsMcGee; 07-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
aceface

I 2nd that vote for Holland to win the world cup, that is were my surrport is now that England cant be arsed th play football anymore..

Germany / Argintina, dislike them both with a passion, is there an option of the grounb may open up and swallow them both.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM
zildjank09

Where did sufc.loyal go.
One minute he was into all sorts of debates then all of a sudden he was banned, what did I miss was he to passionate about his football views.

Can he not be allowed back?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjank09 View Post
Where did sufc.loyal go.
One minute he was into all sorts of debates then all of a sudden he was banned, what did I miss was he to passionate about his football views.

Can he not be allowed back?
I think he was banned. And i'm not surprised after what he said.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Gratz to Holland for winning over Brazil. Most entertaining match ever!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Pioneer Member

WOW, The Netherlands upset the mighty Brazil. I just hope they can continue on and win it. I cant say any other team in football deserves the WC trophy more than the Netherlands at this point.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

here comes germany, lads...watch out. I was never that high on Brazil.. I alwaysthought they were overrated and living on past glory. Ghana's just scored over Uruguay...

EDIT- what a dramatic and sad ending..!!!!

Last edited by aydee; 07-02-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Woz.275

I am also backing Holland now, England are out.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Goddamnit! Suarez the bastard prevented Ghana from winning.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Good on the Dutch! That opens things up. You'd expect them to make the final now.

Ironically, Oz would have beaten Ghana in the group phase except that we choked on a penalty awarded to us, whereas Ghana's guy converted theirs coolly and easily. Surprised that Ghana would lose through penalties because their reliable conversion of them is what got them through the sudden death games.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Good on the Dutch! That opens things up. You'd expect them to make the final now.

Ironically, Oz would have beaten Ghana in the group phase except that we choked on a penalty awarded to us, whereas Ghana's guy converted theirs coolly and easily. Surprised that Ghana would lose through penalties because their reliable conversion of them is what got them through the sudden death games.
they had a penalty awarded to them in overtime and missed it. was sad.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Goddamnit! Suarez the bastard prevented Ghana from winning.
That was tragic. It was painful to see Gyan's face ( the guy who missed the penalty ).

Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator

GERMANY...too young, too fast, too much skill, nothing but team work. Headed for the cup.

Argentina, you have been owned.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 07-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
GERMANY...too young, too fast, too much skill, nothing but team work. Headed for the cup.

Argentina, you have been owned.
So true, as much as it hurts to say this as a die hard England fan, I really wish England could learn to play like Germany. They have endless energy and rock solid def, and they make you look down right foolish on the counter attack. I am glad Argentina lost because Maradona is pretty much an ass hole, and is too cocky. I am still not over that handball.....

I just hope Netherlands can snatch this Cup, they will have to play top form to do it.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Isn't a coincidence that Aust, Eng and Arg have all been pathetic against Germany, according to their local press?

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a bunch of fearless young guns running rings around older men, who weren't pathetic, just older. More likely their energy drinks were spiked ...
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Administrator

BOGOTA, Colombia - Fans worldwide have fashioned replicas of the World Cup trophy out of everything from papier-mache to plastic. But a lawbreaker in Colombia gets top prize for most original material: cocaine.

A statue replica of a World Cup soccer trophy was made of 24 pounds of cocaine mixed with acetone or gasoline to make it moldable.

I guess Maradona was hoping to celebrate if they won the real cup. I guess he will have to sell it now.