DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Coating Sticks

Allright so last night my teacher said he played at a gig with someone else's sticks, and they dipped them with something like polyeurithane? He said like Regal Sticks used to be like back in the day. He said it made them less slippery, and slowed the wearing down of the top of the sticks, and I've been breakin tips like crazy lately.
Sooo...I'm not sure what he meant to dip it in or how far or if it works?? I'm wonderin if anyone tried this and knows what to use and where I can get it. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Coating Sticks

Regal TIp sticks still have that special coating that gets stickier when your hands warm them up. I can't see any durability bonuses from any of this though. Sticks will break, and some for unknown reasons, they are wood after all, but if you are regularly breaking sticks, you need to examine your playing. A guy was just talking to me the other day, and saying he breaks sticks every so many days, when I've had some pairs for months and years. I saw him play and it became obvious. One of the main things that causes tips to break are cymbals. If the tip hits the edge of a cymbal it will break. This shouldn't happen anyway, but sometimes accidentally it does (I've had sticks get notches taken out of the tips) Technically, cymbals shouldn't leave any marks on the stick at all if you play them right. Rimshots do a good number on sticks though. That's really the only idea I like about nylon tip sticks is that the tip isn't going to go before the stick does, however nylon tips often are too harsh sounding. Regal Tip has the E Series which is like a ribbed nylon tip that supposedly sounds more like a wood tip than a solid nylon version.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

I love Regal Tip sticks and the finish, but sometimes they don't have the right model for something.

I found a Krylon spray on that replicates the Regal finish really closely, and I use it on all my non-Regal sticks.

It's called Krylon Triple Thick Clear Glaze.

You can get it at Wal-Mart for under 3 bucks a can, and a can will easily do a dozen pair with a couple thin coats on each stick.
It dries pretty quick too.

It doesn't make them slippery at all, it works like the Regal finish where the stick will stay put when your hands get warm.

It feels nice in your hand like a Regal too--if you like that brand of stick.

I've used it for a few years now.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 PM

I've never tried Regal Tip I don't think they carry them anywhere around me, so thanks for the tip, my sticks always start slipping after half an hour, and I'm playin with the stick half outta my hand.
And to cymbal rider I'm not breaking sticks regulary, two in 3 and a half years, just the tips. Not really break just like little by little they chunk, which I think is inevitable.