DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default New Istanbul Agop 22" Signature...

Hi Drummerworld!

Yeees, it finally arrived: The desired green-labeled Istanbul Agop, 22".
Just came home from school around 7:15 PM and immediately had the chance to wrap off the carton, take photos and of course play it with my other Agops.

First of all I wanna thank Tony from cymbalsonly for the great service and fast shipping. He`s a stunning kind of person who really knows his stuff. I can highly recommend to check out www.cymbalsonly.com for many many Istanbul, Bosphorus, Paiste, Meinl, Sabian, Zildjian and Ufip cymbals.

Secondly, here is my review after experimenting a bit.

Distinctivenesses:

I decided to go for a thin 22": 2173 grams light. The first thing I noticed was the big bell. I almost worried it would be too influential for the overall sound. In the end I couldn`t see why I was even worried. Still, compared to my Mel Lewis 21" the bell is...huge.

Another anomaly of those Signatures is the lathing. The cymbal is just lightly lathed on top and bottom. It is said to make the sound drier, more controlable. Surely it looks amazing along with the green labels. =)
However...

Generally Agops are known for their extremely flat profile. This applies to this particular 22" as well. Very flat with a flat bell. Actually the flattest Agop I`ve seen so far.

Furthermore...and just as logical as logic itself the hammering is so typical. Being hand-hammered cymbals from Turkey they really look like a leopard pressed into a cymbal form. It`s again random-looking hammering which really adds a special flavor to the pie.

Concluding to the look and techniques....

Sound:

One word: Awesome. I already got two Agop pies from Tony, one 14" Turk hi-hat and a 21" Mel Lewis Ride (2 rivets) and I can just say that his sound clips are so authentic. Bodacious but simply great work Tony!
Like I said, it`s a thin 22"...just 2173 grams light. I really have an addiction for those light big cymbals. Mostly I`m into modern kind of Jazz things...Post Bop and the contemporary area and it really really pleases me.
The lathing makes it sound very controllable indeed and thankfully the flat profile adds a dark and very mellow vibe to it. The big bell sounds well integrated and doesn`t cut. I like that it`s not so agressive, I wouldn`t need this.

The first thing I thought was: "Oh cool, I just got a mellow-sounding Sabian Ralph Peterson Sig. Ride with more wash." Yeeees, it got a lot of trashy qualities. Mixed with that buttery wash and woody stick definition that makes a magnific sound. Especially the crash sound brings out the mellow trashiness, sounds the cat`s pyjamas!!
Unfortunatly I can`t serve you with sound clips at the moment...just with pics. I`ll try to get something average at least.

In conclusion I`m simply impressed with..."her". ;-)
It differs so much from my 22" K Cutsom Dry Light Ride and doesn`t create such a huge contrast with my other fellow Agops. Uhhh...I`m excited about next piano trio rehearsal, can`t wait to try it then. Maybe I can record some bad videos. I`ll see.

Anyway, comments would be highly appreciated, too. :-)

Okay, some more pics:

Thanks,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.

Last edited by Drummer Karl; 09-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: New Istanbul Agop 22" Signature...

Nice looking cymbal. Definitely heavy huh? Lets hear a recording.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent Karl. Perfect weight for a green label Sig for piano trio jazz and other acoustic jazz settings. Nice rundown and photos. Enjoy buddy!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Nice cymbal and I really like that picture of NY City in front of your set up.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Looks nice, must sound nice too.

so...when are you getting your flat ride ? :)

and do you have any news about your kit ?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM

My brother saw one of these when he went to Turkey, he told me that he almost bought one just for me. Right now, I wish he did.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Nice looking cymbal. Definitely heavy huh? Lets hear a recording.
Haha! In proportion to my 21" Mel Lewis this Signature is even lighter and thinner. It early begins wobbling. I`m definitly gonna try to organize something regarding recordings. Whether it is an average video or some higher quality audio. Thanks Garvin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Excellent Karl. Perfect weight for a green label Sig for piano trio jazz and other acoustic jazz settings. Nice rundown and photos. Enjoy buddy!
Yeah, I`m excited about it in the live setting Stan. Indeed I`m sure that it fits in perfectly well. I know that my Mel Lewis does fit in...the mellow, dark tone seems to add a de luxe thing to the sound of the piano in this situation!

I also thought about heavier models before and listened to some Sigs in the 2500g range but it couldn`t convince me really. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
Looks nice, must sound nice too.

so...when are you getting your flat ride ? :)

and do you have any news about your kit ?
Well, I think that another Agop is quite far away at the moment. Lars gets the shells in ca. three weeks and hopefully there won`t be any problems with shipping the hardware. He told me that it`s a tricky situation at the moment. More and more people want...so the external suppliers and the producer for those German beech shells have to update logistics, the shell producer has to get an additional press built for example. This unfortunatly takes time and in conclusion orders can just be handled with delay.
Though in the end there will be a high-quality product...so I don`t mind. ;-)

Thanks again for your comments!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Awesome Karl, congratulations. It looks great. Can't wait for the new set to arrive to go with it..lol

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Administrator

I am GREEN with envy. Very nice Karl.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Silver Member

Hi,

I noticed you put the top felt and wing nuts on your stands, is there a reason ?

I find that they choke the cymbal a bit (even if loose) and rides are heavy enough that they won't fly off the stand id i dont pu the top wingnut.

(or am I paranoid?)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks so much!
I`m really excited about the custom kit as well. I can only imagine what it`ll look and sound like but I`m sure that it will work well for me. Along with my Agops and the K Custom it should be a blast! :-)

Etienne: Yeah...now that you mention it...although I don`t think or feel that the felts and wing nuts choke it, I think it has no real and just minor effect on sound, respectively.
Just turned them very loose so that the top felt doesn`t even touch the cymbal. And to be honest, it makes me relaxed - it`s safe. Haha...

Do you play without wing nuts and top felts?

Thanks again!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

A couple of questions to add Karl. How's the stick to wash ratio on your Sig? Does if have a nice explosive crash that calms down pretty quick going back to having a defined stick click sound on top? How's the bell sound on your sample?

It seems to me it's probably very close to having some similar characteristics being 2173g with mine coming in only a wee bit heavier at 2210g. The bell on my is quite useful and overal the cymbal is very dark/warm with a dry like trash quality with a great stick sound. I suspect you're in the same character zone with your sample

Looking forward to hearing a sound sample of the 3 Agops together. A Sig 22" ride, Mel Lewis 21" on the left and the Turk hats must make for a dandy sonic combo giving off a wide mix of sounds for you to work with.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Thanks so much!

Etienne: Yeah...now that you mention it [...]

Do you play without wing nuts and top felts?
Yes, I never put on the top wing nuts or felts. I want the cymbal to be as free as possible
and its faster to switch them.

I only put the top felts or wing nuts if I stack cymbals together.. like a 8" splash over a small crash so that it wont fly off.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
Yes, I never put on the top wing nuts or felts. I want the cymbal to be as free as possible
and its faster to switch them.

I only put the top felts or wing nuts if I stack cymbals together.. like a 8" splash over a small crash so that it wont fly off.
I've always used top felts myself but they are very loose to move and don't apply any pressure onto the cymbal. They are free to 'float" on top so I don't hear much of any effect on muffling of sound/vibrations per cymbal.. I use all my cymbals as crashes too so i've always liked a "buffer zone" between the cymbal and the top metal wingnut when playing hard.

I played a house kit at a show without a top felt or wingnut this Summer and sent my 18" Mel Lewis crash ride shooting off the stand into space during an intense exchange with the sax player in a number. The cymbal never cracked thank god when it landed but it recieved a nice flea bite on the edge in the process when it clipped the base of a cymbal stand on it's way down.This experience proved to me yet again to stick with the program that works for me. Just comes down to personal preference I guess.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 09-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:55 AM

Very nice, Karl!

I've had many Sigs in many sizes- 18", 20", 21", 22", 23", and 24" (not kidding). With both the Sigs and the SEs, I have found that the really thin ones often have an amazing stick. Instead of the wash just building and building, it just drops right off or stays consistently under the stick. This characteristic is most prevalent in a couple of 20" SEs in my current collection. One's around 1600g and the other is around 1700g. Very strong stick and the wash never seems to overtake the stick on either ride.

Then again, it's really hit or miss with the Sigs and SEs. But I can tell you I've never heard one I didn't like. ;-)

Enjoy it, Karl.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Aaah.. karlkarlkarlkarl.. wonderfull cymbal.. good rewiev too.. Cant wait to hear she talk..
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Pioneer Member

You finally got it! What made you go the signature over the SE though, i thought you where looking at the SE? Well done on finally getting it though, can't wait for some recordings with your trio.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Sexy cymbal Karl. I would love to convert all my cymbals over to Green Sigs.

~JW
Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
A couple of questions to add Karl. How's the stick to wash ratio on your Sig? Does if have a nice explosive crash that calms down pretty quick going back to having a defined stick click sound on top? How's the bell sound on your sample?

It seems to me it's probably very close to having some similar characteristics being 2173g with mine coming in only a wee bit heavier at 2210g. The bell on my is quite useful and overal the cymbal is very dark/warm with a dry like trash quality with a great stick sound. I suspect you're in the same character zone with your sample

Looking forward to hearing a sound sample of the 3 Agops together. A Sig 22" ride, Mel Lewis 21" on the left and the Turk hats must make for a dandy sonic combo giving off a wide mix of sounds for you to work with.
Well, I do agree that it probably isn`t that far away from your Sig. Although big sound differences occur within one weight "section" since these cymbals are beautifully hand-made.
I`m incredibly pleased with the stick compared to wash. Like I said, it is controlled and the woody stick definition always blends through. Generally it creates more wash and more trashiness than my 21" Mel definitly. The Mel Lewis simply got a kind of clearer wash, less trashiness...though still enough to be loved by me. =)
As I said in my first post, the Signature reminded me a bit of those very thin and trashy Ralph Peterson ride cymbals but with more dark and mellow wash. So in conclusion it creates a consistent but never overpowering "roar". I`ll know more when I play this beauty with the band or make some recordings.

Uh I know what`s missing: A 1700g 20" Turk ride. :-) Haha...sorry, that`s the addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
Very nice, Karl!

I've had many Sigs in many sizes- 18", 20", 21", 22", 23", and 24" (not kidding). With both the Sigs and the SEs, I have found that the really thin ones often have an amazing stick. Instead of the wash just building and building, it just drops right off or stays consistently under the stick. This characteristic is most prevalent in a couple of 20" SEs in my current collection. One's around 1600g and the other is around 1700g. Very strong stick and the wash never seems to overtake the stick on either ride.

Then again, it's really hit or miss with the Sigs and SEs. But I can tell you I've never heard one I didn't like. ;-)

Enjoy it, Karl.
Thanks!
Yes, I`ve seen many of your Agops and I gotta admit that you`ve got a great collection! I also agree that you can`t do anything wrong with those. I personally really like big cymbals in general, beginning with 18". Especially the Signature crashes sound phenomenal! Compareable with HHXtreme crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
You finally got it! What made you go the signature over the SE though, i thought you where looking at the SE? Well done on finally getting it though, can't wait for some recordings with your trio.
Thanks mate...mh. I don`t exactly know why I finally chose this 2173g Signature instead of the 2188g SE I had in mind.
Actually I really like the fact that the pitch of my Sig is soo low. Compared to the SE this difference is a million miles big.
Moreover I like the additional dryness and the woody stick definition of the Sig. That finally had to convince me and I`m happy I did it this way. ;-)

Thanks for the comments! And sorry for the delayed response...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply Karl. Seems like they may be close in character and agree they are all a bit different even at the same size and close in weight. The beauty of getting your own sound from handmade Turkish pies.

The level of stick click on top with a very dark warm wash and quick trashy crash really attracted me to my particular 22" Sig ride.

Some use of it in a musical context and some recording down the road with it will reveal more about it's character Karl indeed.

A 20" thin Turk Jazz ride or one of the rarer thin Ottoman 21 "Jazz Rides would add nicely to the addiction Karl :}

P.S. Love those Sig crashes oh yes like my 18" including the dandy paper thin 888g Sig 16" crash I have too especially for acoustic jazz settings.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 AM

Karl, I'm going to throw a monkey-wrench in here regarding the Agop Turk.

Anybody who has read my cymbal posts knows I'm an Agop freak. My favorites are the Signature and Special Edition Jazz rides (especially the TW) but I also own and dig the Traditional line (especially the medium hats), Mel Lewis, Sultan, Vezir, 25th Anniversary, and Limited Edition '06 (hell, that's almost all the cymbal lines, huh?). And I love 'em from super thin to (relatively) heavy. Heck, I've even got an Agop prototype or two hanging around.

Anyway, regarding Turks, I prefer the Bosphorus Turks, especially the Master Turks. Before you decide on a Turk ride, whether it's a 20" or a 22", please listen to Tony's soundfiles of the Bosphorus.

And I think they mix well with the Agop Sigs and SEs.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Karl, I'm going to throw a monkey-wrench in here regarding the Agop Turk.

Anybody who has read my cymbal posts knows I'm an Agop freak. My favorites are the Signature and Special Edition Jazz rides (especially the TW) but I also own and dig the Traditional line (especially the medium hats), Mel Lewis, Sultan, Vezir, 25th Anniversary, and Limited Edition '06 (hell, that's almost all the cymbal lines, huh?). And I love 'em from super thin to (relatively) heavy. Heck, I've even got an Agop prototype or two hanging around.

Anyway, regarding Turks, I prefer the Bosphorus Turks, especially the Master Turks. Before you decide on a Turk ride, whether it's a 20" or a 22", please listen to Tony's soundfiles of the Bosphorus.

And I think they mix well with the Agop Sigs and SEs.
Here's my take on the 2 for what it's worth based on what i've heard in the flesh:

I've done a direct sound comparison to a 20" Bos Masters Turk locally in the context of a musical situation and I like dry quality but with a greater degree of wash/spread with combined on top woody stick click of my 2250g 22" Turk Jazz ride for my ear. The Bos Masters Turk was a little to dry in character for me with lots of stick but a little less wash than my liking Bill but still a nice cymbal don't get me wrong. Personal choice on this as with all cymbals for each individual player based on individual sample to sample variations for sure in the mix.

In reality can't go wrong with either if you find just the right one for your ear and touch so agree Karl should check them all out if going for a Turk down the road.

Speaking of the Agop addiction yes I too have the whole range of their cymbal lines well covered too Bill :} I think you've set the bar though :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thanks mate...mh. I don`t exactly know why I finally chose this 2173g Signature instead of the 2188g SE I had in mind.
Actually I really like the fact that the pitch of my Sig is soo low. Compared to the SE this difference is a million miles big.
Moreover I like the additional dryness and the woody stick definition of the Sig. That finally had to convince me and I`m happy I did it this way. ;-)

Thanks for the comments! And sorry for the delayed response...

Karl
I really quite liked the 2188g SE you where going for, but the call of the sigs is just too much, or just get both :-) Yes my 21" sig has quite a low pitch too at 1856g.
I can't wait to keep expanding my AGOP collection.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Here's my take on the 2 for what it's worth based on what i've heard in the flesh:

I've done a direct sound comparison to a 20" Bos Masters Turk locally in the context of a musical situation and I like dry quality but with a greater degree of wash/spread with combined on top woody stick click of my 2250g 22" Turk Jazz ride for my ear. The Bos Masters Turk was a little to dry in character for me with lots of stick but a little less wash than my liking Bill but still a nice cymbal don't get me wrong. Personal choice on this as with all cymbals for each individual player based on individual sample to sample variations for sure in the mix.

In reality can't go wrong with either if you find just the right one for your ear and touch so agree Karl should check them all out if going for a Turk down the road.

Speaking of the Agop addiction yes I too have the whole range of their cymbal lines well covered too Bill :} I think you've set the bar though :}
You're right about the individual player's ear. I think the main reasons I like the Bos Turk are the serious dryness and lack of wash and trash (I know, blasphemy to the true Agop-o-phile!).

Then again, I'm also a huge Paiste fan......
Old 09-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're right about the individual player's ear. I think the main reasons I like the Bos Turk are the serious dryness and lack of wash and trash (I know, blasphemy to the true Agop-o-phile!).

Then again, I'm also a huge Paiste fan......
All is good Bill and it certainly comes down to individual choices as it will with any further choice by Karl :}

P. S. Noticed a wack of recently arrived Agops up on the CymbalsOnly site today including a whole bunch of new 22" SE TW's and some lightweight 24" regular SE rides. Some very nice Epoch and 25th Anniversary rides too. More of that sweet Turkish Agop "trash" to check out :}.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM

We have seriously hijacked Karl's thread.

So, to continue the hijack, I think an Epoch may be next on my list. I have one of the prototypes but the end product is different (especially visually).

I've got a couple of Vaughncraft snare drum shells to finish before I spend any more money on cymbals.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have seriously hijacked Karl's thread.

So, to continue the hijack, I think an Epoch may be next on my list. I have one of the prototypes but the end product is different (especially visually).

I've got a couple of Vaughncraft snare drum shells to finish before I spend any more money on cymbals.
No Kidding :}

My 3025g Epoch is one of my current favorites Bill. Good luck with any future pies.

Back to Karl's lovely new 2173g green label Signature ride. Looking forward to hearing some sound files of his whole Agop set down the road.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
KARL MEMBER

Haha!
Since you are Agop hijackers I don`t really mind. =)

Well, about the Turks: I have to admit that I seriously love the wash of those Agop Turk Rides. I currently own a Zidljian K Custom 22" Dry Light Ride. It is ultra-dry as you can hear on my bad, old recording on my myspace site. I would love a dry ride with a mellow wash, wobbling and so dark...like an Agop. My god, I really fell in love with all the inventory I guess. :-D

Maybe I just sell my Zildjian for the Agop Turk. I`ll see.

Sound clips will hopefully follow soon!

Thanks so much!

Quote:
I really quite liked the 2188g SE you where going for, but the call of the sigs is just too much, or just get both :-) Yes my 21" sig has quite a low pitch too at 1856g.
I can't wait to keep expanding my AGOP collection.
Yes, the SE was a beauty, too. After some time listening to the clip I just tended to dislike the high pitch and preferred the darker Sig.
Ha, and getting both would actually just be too much for me!

So you got an extra-thin 21". That must play like a mellowtone...and must be quite dry.

Enjoy!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
KARL MEMBER

Here are some more pics...(sorry for the bad quality):

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Which kit do you mainly play now Karl? The TAMA of Basix? Due to the sizes i would probably use the Basix too, or at least the kick.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Which kit do you mainly play now Karl? The TAMA of Basix? Due to the sizes i would probably use the Basix too, or at least the kick.
Well, the Basix is my only kit at the moment. I finally sold my Tama weeks ago and I`m now waiting for a custom beech kit. I found a German drum builder who makes beautiful custom works. I gonna get a 3-piece: 18x14" bass drum, 12x08" tom and 14x14" tom. The matching snare will follow.

For further information and photos you can visit the website: www.cube-drums.de

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Well, the Basix is my only kit at the moment. I finally sold my Tama weeks ago and I`m now waiting for a custom beech kit. I found a German drum builder who makes beautiful custom works. I gonna get a 3-piece: 18x14" bass drum, 12x08" tom and 14x14" tom. The matching snare will follow.

For further information and photos you can visit the website: www.cube-drums.de

Karl
Ahh, yes I've been following but i didn't think you had sold the TAMA yet. I've seen his work before. That bubinga kit is beautiful!! How long till your's is done?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Ahh, yes I've been following but i didn't think you had sold the TAMA yet. I've seen his work before. That bubinga kit is beautiful!! How long till your's is done?
Yeah, it was quite hard to sell it. I realized that it`s generally difficult to sell used gear at a fair price. Though I eventually made it.

Regarding the building time I`m a bit worried. Since there seem to occur globalisation and the resurgent individualism many people would like a kit.
Logically he now has slight problems with the delivery of the beech shells which are produced directly in Germany (Sindelfingen). Furthermore the hardware and even the Remo heads delivered with delay.
If everything works out like planned it should be finished within 1 or 1 1/2 months.

I`ll keep you updated about it! =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM
KARL MEMBER

Hi!

Yesterday I finally had the brilliant chance to try my Agops with the piano trio.
The first thing I noticed when I packed my cymbals: The Signature 22" is a little bit smaller than my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride. It`s not much, maybe about one centimeter.

So I set up my Agops and my K Custom. I have to say that I was simply impressed by the Signature`s sound! It worked very very well with the sound of the overall trio setting. The mellow wash made an awesome sound "carpet" and the stick definition and especially the weight of this beauty is just right.
I like the contrast of the Agops and the Dry Light Ride.

Recordings with the trio will follow. We are going to meet for a recording session October 18th or something like that. I`m sure the pies will sound magnific with the band...I just have to learn how to play.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Pioneer Member

I've got a 20" one of those Signature bad boys, which I use on the left hand side. I love it!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing the new Sig in the context of a piano trio playing situation Karl. I have no doubt you'll enjoy hearing the playbacks when you hear how they record in the studio :}

I've been experimenting with a new lightweight ball chain material I discovered in the electrical department {pull ball chain for light fixtures} at my local home improvement store. Slightly smaller and lighter ball chain material than the previous type i've been experimenting with at various lengths. Adds a nice light sizzle to the mix for this dark trashy but warm sounding 22" ride.

Nice to hear foursticks about your 20" Sig by the way.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 AM
KARL MEMBER

Foursticks: Great to hear that you like your 20" one! Should really make a nice left side ride like you said. What`s the weight of yours?

Stan: Yep, I did enjoy it for sure and the others did so, too. Live with the trio the Signature had more dark shimmer, the wash was a lot more hearable, so was the trashiness. Still there was that awesome woody stick definition.
I was surprised how great the crash sound was, very sensitive and responsive. It simply complements the sound of the trio setting.
I`m so much looking forward to gigs with this beauty.

Moreover I`m curious about the recordings. We`re going to use the room sound. It won`t sound so static, in a speaking manner the sound will probably be very natural and organic.

We`re going to record with many condensers, I`m excited how the pies sound with this mic constellation.

IŽll keep you updated... ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

They really are something special Karl. You will LOVE the sound of the stick click and supporting dark wash in the studio they deliver. The crash sound is a treat too agreed.

Just did some more recording with my 2210g sample on Sunday with my new ball chain in the mix for a quartet session. Listening to the playbacks had confirmed what I was hearing in the flesh regarding the woody stick definition on top and warm blend of dark undertones in the wash with the other instruments. Outstanding ride cymbals these green label Agop Signature rides!

Enjoy the years to come with this one of a kind superb Turkish handmade ride for acoustic jazz Karl.

P. S. and Latin Groover and foursticks too :}
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.