DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Evans EC2 Coated on a Superstar Hyperdrive

Hello folks!

Just ordered myself a superstar hyperdrive to use as my gigging kit.
(Got a limited edition starclassic performer which I keep tucked away for best!!)

Anyway, after chatting to the bloke in the shop he spoke very very highly of these Evans EC2 coated so I thought I would give them a try.

I want a sound with a lot of attack but not and immense amount of ring out.
A nice phat sounding tom that will decay quickly.
Underoath/Deftones tom sounds is the closest i'd say.

(I used to have a rockstar custom, 12",13",14",16" with pinstripes and they just never sounded how i wanted them too)

So any with any experience of EC2's would be appreciated.
Your knowledge is welcome with open arms!!

Thanks again folks.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Evans EC2 Coated on a Superstar Hyperdrive

Is this thread offensive?!

I'm overwhelmed by the response I've got! :P
Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

I had them and didnt like them. sounded like paper. too open for my liking.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 AM

I have a Tama Swingstar-traded out the floor tom head awhile back for an EC2. LOVE LOVE LOVE that big fatty deep sound! Couldn't wait to trade out the other mounted toms for the same thing.. got them on last night.. and am just not sure.. the littlest tom has what I think is a wimpier sound.. I want that deep fatty sound. So-IMHO I love the EC2 on the floor tom but not sure about what to do with the others.. I too, would like advice..
Thanks!!! and no I don't think this thread is offensive. I am here for wisdom and advice, and I hope all others are too..
:)
Old 09-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

Recorded with the EC2 clears and coated on snare. Should have some samples soon. Yes, they do have some good controlled attack. I used G2 clears for years. It seemed to me that the EC2 had more attack than the G2. IDK some people like the EC2 and some hate them.. Harder to tune? Not sure, I didn't have any trouble tuning over a standard G2.

Overall, I was very happy with the tone not too choked with goo attack and warm sustain. I would say the coated EC2 would have less sustain but some good attack never the less.
Everyone was very pleased with tone and overall drum sound.

Try them and post comments on what you think.....

regards....

Last edited by Nodiggie; 09-20-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

tomhollywood, I have coated EC2's on all my toms and the EC2 will definitely give you the sound you're looking for. But probably on toms only bigger than 13". They sound AMAZING on a 16" tom. IMO, the smaller toms sound a little too deep with an EC2 coated. but i think thats what you want. These heads dont really decay that fast, although moongel could fix that. you get high attack coupled with a low end tone from these heads.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 AM

Interesting read. We have frosted EC2ís on my sons 3007ís. Like others mention they sound ok on the 12 decent on the 14 and good on the 16Ö His 10 inch is just horrible! Regardless of tuning itís just not right. I preferred to stock sonor head!
coated G2ís or Emperors here we come!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

I can't speak for the use of these heads on a Hyperdrive kit as these are 'short stack' drums. I only have typical sizes.

However, I've used clear EC2's on my Yamaha MCAN kit (fusion sizes) and they sounded great for the type of heads they are. The Yamaha are maple which probably contribute to the level of sustain that I got with EC2's. Still when it was time to move on this year and rehead the toms, I went to coated G2's. I'm normally an Aquarian guy (coated single ply, typically) but Evans heads run a close 2nd. I received my choice of heads for my entire set and a couple of snares as a 'gift' for doing a gig for free. I have a Pork Pie 5 x 13 maple snare that seems to love coated G2's for some reason.

I have a coated G2/G1 combo on the kit (toms) now which I like better than the EC2's. I feel the G2's have more sustain and a bit more highs than the EC2's. Granted the OP is asking about coated EC2's but there's enough similarity for me to comment.
*BTW: On Evans EC heads, they call them coated when they are more like 'frosted'. The heads are translucent. They are textured if you want to do horizontal brush strokes but still not traditionally white coated like coated G1's or G2's

The Yamaha set is my practice/recording set that normally stays at home. I also have a Gretsch 80's blond maple kit in standard sizes. I gig out with this kit and usually just bring 12, 16, 22 and whatever snare(s) I want to bring that night.

I recently decided to try out the new Evans G-Plus heads on my Gretsch kit. For pop/rock/funk stuff these sound very nice with a deep warm tone. I'd seriously consider these as well. AFAIK, these are single ply 12mm heads. They are not 2-ply heads but a thicker single ply. I'm not a super heavy hitter but I'm not using this kit for jazz gigs, at least right now. I play medium to medium loud gigs with this kit and these heads feel like they'll hold up. I have had them on my 12" and 16" toms for about a month now and so far so good. I'm also going to try the 12" tom with an EC Resonant head as soon as I change the 12" batter out, probably by Christmas or Thanksgiving. That may also be a winner combo.

FWIW: The G-Plus heads are also 'frosted' in that they have a textured surface that you can get a decent brush sound out of if you wanted. Again not a traditional white coating but the head comes with a textured, translucent surface.

HTH

Jim

P.S. - if you have standard size drums and live in the U.S., you can try out coated EC2's as well as an EC Reverse Dot Snare head if you win the No Reserve eBay auction I have up. Someone will probably walk away with a deal. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Evans-EC2-Coated...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by Shedboyxx; 09-26-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
Interesting read. We have frosted EC2ís on my sons 3007ís. Like others mention they sound ok on the 12 decent on the 14 and good on the 16Ö His 10 inch is just horrible! Regardless of tuning itís just not right. I preferred to stock sonor head!
coated G2ís or Emperors here we come!
Sometimes 10" toms (and defintely 8" toms) need a much more resonant head or they start to sound like a bongo. :(

I'd recommend a thinner more resonant head for the 10" which, coincidentally, stock heads usually are. That's probably why the Sonor stock head sounds better.

My bet is that a single ply head from any of the majors (Evans, Aquarian, Remo) is going to sound even better on that pesky little guy. FWIW: My 10" tom on my Yamaha kit sounds great with almost any head. It just sounds a bit better with a thinner head.

HTH

Jim