DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: my kit(s)

just wondering... why the ride would be on the right if the hat is centered for the reason of accessibility to both hands?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Oh at the moment I imagine, just hypothetically, that a ride that is mounted above the HiHat is not playable in a relaxed way. Just because it's so high. I like it very much to have the ride as low as possible for really relaxed playing. But sure I will experiment with that...
Old 08-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Pioneer Member

actually upgrading to the 9000 cable hat from the 5000 helped me with my ride too ... it's alot smaller, so it can be lowered a bit so my ride was able to be lowered as well ...

one last question; how long do i have to wait to see this thing?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
how long do i have to wait to see this thing?
Hehe, if I was the one who has to decide: three seconds :D
But I think it's gonna be three weeks minimum. Things have to be ordered, money has to be made... And until it is kind of completed? I really don't know...
I promise to send you a message when I loaded pictures up.

So long - take care and practice ;) I wished I had such ideal surroundings for my music like you obviously have - take this chance!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Pioneer Member

i was looking up on bruford the other day and discovered that he actually has two rides on either side! makes sense to me now hehe. but if you don't wanna buy two rides right now (a cool thought nonetheless) the dw 9000 cable hat leaves plenty of room for a ride that's not too high at all (which i discovered to even better when i corrected my posture recently)
Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
miles_smiles

was war denn das für ein Provinzclub? Cafe Hahn in Koblenz??

Gruß
Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarbo
Hey aahznightsky,

Great Kit that you have there!
Would you tell me some details about your experiences with the dw cable HiHat?
Indeed I'm planning a setup close to yours (I really was quite surprised seeing sombody else with that kinda Bruford setup ;) )

The centered HiHat is a must! But which model would you prefer?
There is the 9502LB (cable)
and the 9550 Universal Remote HiHat (cardanic)

Unfortunately I never had the chance to test any of these ones. In Germany it's quite impossible to find a dealer who has these expensive toys ready for testing. All I heard is: Cable is booo! Cable is not sensitive to play! Cable is cable - dw ain't better than any others! I kinda refuse believing that...

By the way: Few weeks ago I saw Bill Bruford's Earthworks live in a small german province jazz club. It was the greatest concert experience I've ever had! And It's of course not only about Bill Bruford. Tim Garland impressed me as deeply as the young pianist the played with. Great great great. It's yet another universe above Random Acts Of Happiness...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_smiles
was war denn das für ein Provinzclub? Cafe Hahn in Koblenz??

Gruß
Klaus
Nee Jazzclub Henkelmann in Iserlohn im tiefsten Sauerland :-)

www.jazzclub-henkelmann.de

Gruß zurück
Aaron
Old 09-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Pioneer Member

I have no clue what you guys are saying haha ...

When are you getting that kit?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Senior Consultant

Nice kit, man. If I ever played it, i'd probably cry because... well, far too intense for me, but I own three four piece kits...
I can only imagine the sort of wicked linear stuff you can get out of the kit. Just wondering, what do you do when you have to play a regular kit?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
Just wondering, what do you do when you have to play a regular kit?

haha i just dont like regular kits anymore dude. I switched to this set up for a ton of possibilities ... everybody sets theyre drums up the same and get the same fills and same everything to some degree. So now I'm getting things that I've never heard absolutely anywhere. But man, when I have to play a regular kit, it just feels so boring! I've completely devoted my playing style to my setup, so when I play something else I'm missing out on so many things ive learned ... my speed and power and groove is there for the most part, but even something is missing from that. I just don't have any amazing ideas for regular setups and it seems to ooze boredom from my pores and I can't play well ... im gonna suck so bad at guitar center's drum off!

For the high school jazz choir which had its first rehearsal of the year today after school, I set things up wacky just to make it interesting ... making due with the limited hardware, I got the hi hat and ride to the left for mainly open handed playing, and put the three toms right behind and circling around the snare in the order 3 1 2 ....

I now hate playing regular kits! lol

I'm planning on getting three new cymbals and then my plans for this kit are complete... I'll post a new thread and it'll be insane ...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
I have no clue what you guys are saying haha ...

When are you getting that kit?
Hehe miles_smiles just asked for that german province club where I saw Earthworks. I told him which club it was... sorry for that german interlude but it's much fun to switch language :)

Just yesterday I spoke to my local drum dealer (www.kdrums.de, take a look at his vintage drums!) and he is now trying his best to get me both HiHats the cable one and the universal one (thank you Norbert). I'm gonna post some test results when I played both. I wonder how my decision will be.
In addition I urgently need an 8" tomtom and a cracky 10" snare and some hardware parts to realize the new setup. They will come soon but later...

Nice new photo of your setup. I like it very much as you can imagine. Just looking at it is stimulating my crativity and my hands want to play. The fact that it is very tricky to play ordinary drum phrases with that setup forces you to create new things. Wonderful!

Last edited by aarbo; 09-02-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarbo
The fact that it is very tricky to play ordinary drum phrases with that setup forces you to create new things. Wonderful!
Just wait till you get your kit! You're not forced, you just come up with new things very easily and naturally as your hands flow aorund the kit. Plus it helps with your drumset "choreography" trying to play ordinary drum phrases aorund this kit. I've found that on any kit in any wierd setup, I can now play the ordinary stuff just cuz I've trained myself to figure out stickings faster than i can play them so. And we'll definitely be having some cool discussions on phrases we can do with this set up! I already have about a million unique things going on so I can give you a headstart lol, plus you can share the million possibilities that I missed and you picked up!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Pioneer Member

it's official, that is the color of my next drumset.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:59 PM

when are you gonna post some audio/video of this thing i gotta see it!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Well, Its official. I now have to set my kit up like that. Sure, it would be nice to have a cable hat and that centered bass pedal would be sweet, but I will do what I can with the toms at least. That is a very cool kit. I've seen that kind of setup before and always wanted to try it, but I think now I actually will.

Again, very nice.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 AM

It's so unconventional! I love it!
But, I'd hate to get hooked on it....
Not every drumset provided for students will have a cable hihat pedal.
I'd try not to become too dependant on one setup; that's the beauty of tearing down / setting up so often!
Peace,
-Drew
Old 09-27-2005, 04:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnietguinea
I'd try not to become too dependant on one setup; that's the beauty of tearing down / setting up so often!

No worries. I still play on conventional kits regularly. Not that I love them or anything (so unimaginative! so cliche!) but I work on them fine. Of course, there's also the fact that I'm not a student and I'm not gonna be needing to use anyone elses drums ever so there ya go.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:19 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
No worries. I still play on conventional kits regularly. Not that I love them or anything (so unimaginative! so cliche!) but I work on them fine. Of course, there's also the fact that I'm not a student and I'm not gonna be needing to use anyone elses drums ever so there ya go.
I don't know if you already answered this, but where did you get the Off Set pedal? I visited the website and they don't have any price or any other information. The pedal is the kind of thing I could use.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums
I don't know if you already answered this, but where did you get the Off Set pedal? I visited the website and they don't have any price or any other information. The pedal is the kind of thing I could use.
You could give a try to the Sonor Middle Pedal
Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
There is an ad for an offset pedal in the back of most issues of MD. It is not the sonor, IIRC it's much less costly.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Well if you want the pedal, when you go to the website you obviously need to click on the link to the pedal and you'll get an abdobe document (get the program). And on that should be the number to call if you want prices, shipping, details, or anything else.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Well if you want the pedal, when you go to the website you obviously need to click on the link to the pedal and you'll get an abdobe document (get the program). And on that should be the number to call if you want prices, shipping, details, or anything else.
Yeah...that's the one. I was going to look it up in an issue of MD. I couldn't remember the name of it.

Pricing: Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal
Factory Direct - $292.00 + Shipping + Handling + C.O.D. Check or Postal Money Order.

That is one hell of a lot less money than the Sonor ( $779.99 + Shipping).
Old 09-27-2005, 06:23 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Yeah...that's the one. I was going to look it up in an issue of MD. I couldn't remember the name of it.

Pricing: Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal
Factory Direct - $292.00 + Shipping + Handling + C.O.D. Check or Postal Money Order.

That is one hell of a lot less money than the Sonor ( $779.99 + Shipping).
I don't know why they don't put that info on the website. Thanks. That's not a bad price, I may look into it.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I don't know why they don't put that info on the website. Thanks. That's not a bad price, I may look into it.

It's a whole lot less expensive than the Sonor one, and IMO a much much better feel. Sonor has a very different feel than most other pedals in the market, and they feel very foreign to me.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 AM

aahz, it seems like your set would be fairly difficult to play in a traditional grip. Fancy kids with their fancy grips.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Drummer
aahz, it seems like your set would be fairly difficult to play in a traditional grip. Fancy kids with their fancy grips.
Traditionall grip can be done on this kit, but it just defeats the whole point of the setup. My kit is about balance, ambidexterity, and symmetry. The ability to play the same possibilities on both right and left sides of the kit ... and so on

plus everything is placed exactly symmetrical and stuff and so the left side isnt in the best position for a traditional grip player hehe ...

btw brand new heads on today ...
hydraulic black on snare, hazy 300 snare side
EC2s on toms with G1 clears on resonant side
and the EMADs on both sides of the kick which make it sound more amazing than any bass drum I've heard in my life!

Old 10-02-2005, 07:58 AM

C`mon man, show us the sound of that beauty.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Wow. Amazing kit.

You must be extremely, extremely wealthy.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 AM

That kit looks so comfortable !!!!! ..... just loving it ...

do post some sound with it !!!!!!

btw just curious ... i was viewing your photobucket galary !! .. you family owns a music factory or what !!!!!!!!! LoL ....
Old 10-03-2005, 03:15 AM

Quote:
haha i just dont like regular kits anymore dude. I switched to this set up for a ton of possibilities ... everybody sets theyre drums up the same and get the same fills and same everything to some degree. So now I'm getting things that I've never heard absolutely anywhere. But man, when I have to play a regular kit, it just feels so boring! I've completely devoted my playing style to my setup, so when I play something else I'm missing out on so many things ive learned ... my speed and power and groove is there for the most part, but even something is missing from that. I just don't have any amazing ideas for regular setups and it seems to ooze boredom from my pores and I can't play well ... im gonna suck so bad at guitar center's drum off!

For the high school jazz choir which had its first rehearsal of the year today after school, I set things up wacky just to make it interesting ... making due with the limited hardware, I got the hi hat and ride to the left for mainly open handed playing, and put the three toms right behind and circling around the snare in the order 3 1 2 ....

I'm planning on getting three new cymbals and then my plans for this kit are complete... I'll post a new thread and it'll be insane ...
How do those new evans sound i was thinking bout getting those so i wouldnt havta use moongel...i like moongel but id rather not havta use it. So how are they? give me some feedback i would love to hear it!!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_man22
How do those new evans sound i was thinking bout getting those so i wouldnt havta use moongel...i like moongel but id rather not havta use it. So how are they? give me some feedback i would love to hear it!!

My feedback would be found here...
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 AM

How do you hit the bass drum with your tom right there?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
How do you hit the bass drum with your tom right there?

read the rest of the posts! there are new pictures including my new pedal (close up near the bottom of the first page) that explain alot of things...
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Pioneer Member

new picture of the bruford snare ... I'm gonna get the head replaced with the next few days

and ideas for what head to put on it? I've really been enjoying it as a timbale-like sound for latin grooves and but also with the snares on as the main snare of drum n bass grooves... so what head would help out both aspects??? i wonder

Old 10-15-2005, 10:58 PM
KARL MEMBER

Ohh, very good. I like your set up of the green DW! Great!!

try this: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3113
Old 10-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Pioneer Member

man, that set is bad a** as hell. puts my standard 5 peice to shame...

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-16-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Pioneer Member

4000 views! whew!

that's pretty crazy

yeah and new gear on the way i think ill start a whole new thread when it comes

maybe not till december though

two more Dark Energy crashes and a signature thin China 18"

and ill explain this whole method of moving around the drums and cymbals thats pretty darn cool (hint - the crashes will mirror the drums)

im also looking into a kit that i can actually take on smaller gigs for school and stuff - perhaps a Manu Katche signature hipgig and some jazzier cymbals - i wanna try out the New Signature Dark Dry ride and some Signature jazz hats and swishes... anyone try these guys out?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
new picture of the bruford snare ... I'm gonna get the head replaced with the next few days

and ideas for what head to put on it? I've really been enjoying it as a timbale-like sound for latin grooves and but also with the snares on as the main snare of drum n bass grooves... so what head would help out both aspects??? i wonder

try an evans g1. versatile, good snare head.

how do you pay for all of this? you look pretty young in the pictures.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:59 AM

love the set looks like its costs ALOT....ive been playibg for 8 months...but i couldnt get a set in my house till like 4 months ago....and whats a phase?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Very nice kit ,i like the setup and cymbals ,i bet it;s fun to play