DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default recorder gear..

well, my band would love to start recording, but we do not have the money for a recording studio since they are so expensive..haha

what gear would you suggest?
i have an 8 channell mixer, but it doesnt have a USB out port on it, but it does have a "record out". its a left and a right input...

i want to record everything onto my computer and mix it there...

so, if ya dont mind, put me on the right track! lol

and, i would like to keep it cheap...just like everything else ;)

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Default Re: recorder gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
well, my band would love to start recording, but we do not have the money for a recording studio since they are so expensive..haha

what gear would you suggest?
i have an 8 channell mixer, but it doesnt have a USB out port on it, but it does have a "record out". its a left and a right input...

i want to record everything onto my computer and mix it there...

so, if ya dont mind, put me on the right track! lol

and, i would like to keep it cheap...just like everything else ;)

Alex
Problem with a L/R out is that you're likely only getting a stereo out, not something like a digital optical out that can carry multiple channels on one cable.

If you just wanted to record stereo into a computer, you could take your stereo out, get an insert cable and then a 3.5mm adapter, which would be the bare minimum... use something like GarageBand to record. You'll basically have no channels to mix, just L/R -- mixing will be done at the mixer before it goes in.

Next step up, a Firebox or something of that variety. 4 channels in; you could do 2 OH's through the pres and then get an inexpensive single channel pre (to amplify your kick mic, for example) and run the line out from that to one of the Firebox's line ins.

If you need 8 or so channels at record & mix time, it's probably worthwhile looking at a Firestudio/Firestudio Project which will also let you grow to include more pres (via digimax FS or other pres), or use more line inputs.

It's a slippery slope, I've only just gotten into it with any seriousness earlier this year and I can grow to fill my available channels as fast as I add them. Firebox may be a great option -- it'll let you do multiple mic channels, has a little room for growth, but will force you to pay attention to mic placement for your sound.