DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Sleishman Drums

I have been doing alot of research on Sleishman drums lately. I am seriously considering buying one of their sets as my next kit.

Does anybody here play Sleishman drums? What do you think of them and their tuning system?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sleishman Drums

I don't play them, but I have tried them, & they're good drums. I personally subscribe to the sonic & tuning benefits of free floating drums. They're not for everyone, especially those that value the flexibility of being able to tune top & bottom heads independently, but unless that's you, I wouldn't let that put you off. My personal preference is to tune top & bottom heads the same, & a free floating system just makes that easier. The benefits of not having a ton of hardware bolted to the shell are worthwhile too, but that relies on the quality of the shell to realise that benefit.

You may also wish to look at Wacd drums superb free floating lug design. Gary's a great guy & will help you out.

Good luck, & I don't think you can go wrong which ever way you go.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Being a radial player I had been thinking of purchasing a set due to the fact that they have no hardware attached directly to the shells as well but I like my reso head tuned a bit higher than my batter head and because you cannot tune the heads different from each other on the Sleishman drums I decided against the purchase.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Being a radial player I had been thinking of purchasing a set due to the fact that they have no hardware attached directly to the shells as well but I like my reso head tuned a bit higher than my batter head and because you cannot tune the heads different from each other on the Sleishman drums I decided against the purchase.
You would also notice quite a difference between the shell resonance on the Sleishman & the Radials.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

I always tune my top and bottom heads the same, so the Sleishman tuning system is perfect for me. If I had the money I would buy one of their sets right now.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

It has just occurred to me that even tough the head itself would be tensioned the same for them to sound the same you would need the same heads on the top and bottom and any inconsistencies between heads would change the pitch as well, also after doing a tap test and fine tuning one side you would not be able to fine tune the other side without changing the first one, Is this correct or am I missing something.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It has just occurred to me that even tough the head itself would be tensioned the same for them to sound the same you would need the same heads on the top and bottom and any inconsistencies between heads would change the pitch as well, also after doing a tap test and fine tuning one side you would not be able to fine tune the other side without changing the first one, Is this correct or am I missing something.
It's true that maintaining exactly the same head pitch between batter & reso requires a similar mass head, but even with dissimilar heads, the Sleishman & Wacd systems work well enough in the real world. Heads with significant unevenness however are an issue, but they're an issue to normal tensioning systems too.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

I have emailed Sleishman Australia twice to ask questions about their drums and have not heard back from them. I find this to be odd.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

I played a set of these last night (pub gig) and they sounded awesome. The owner said they were blackwood (I think) but that's all I got to ask him before he had to go on, I sent the guy an email to find out more. The skins were rooted but they still played really sustained deep notes.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM

I have been playing Sleishman drums since 2000 and have had three different kits in that time.

I would be happy to answer any questions that you would like to post, but in general I will say the following:
The Sleishman system works exactly the way they say it does.
The drums sound better than any other kit I've ever played, including the top end drums from Pearl, Tama, Gretsch, DW etc
The drums are easier to tune and easier to detect if out of tune than other drums
They tune from one side only and the heads do respond together to tension changes
You do have to get used to the different way of changing heads, but it's not a big deal
The drums do have a very wide tuning rang and multiple sweet spots
They are louder than other drums and speak more clearly and musically
If you buy a kit you will never go back to other drums
Very little opportunity to play them in the US means that they remain a mystery to most drummers.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 AM

If I may interject something about the people who wouldn't buy it since they tune the same.

This only really applies if the top and bottom head are the same type of ply construction and thickness, such as having Remo Coated Ambassadors as both heads. If you want different tuning schemes, you just have to play around with the head choice to get the sound you want.

For example, if you want the bottom head to be tighter, use a head that is less thick as the top head. For an example, if you have a 10mil single ply on top, use a 7mil single ply on the bottom. Due to less thickness, the 7mil will be put under more tension (and therefore a higher pitch, in theory) than the 10mil.

Just giving my 2 cents. I already am sold on getting a Sleishman custom kit, and have been for a while, since they are so easy to tune, and more than anything, I can get surprisingly good low-end on all of them. Which is a must since I plan on a small kit (18" kick, 8", 10", 14" toms).

... I'm not so sure on buying a snare drum from them just yet: I tune by feel for that. It all depends on if they can construct a snare that has little to no sympathetic vibrations, while maintaining the sensitivity that they claim to have.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 AM

You could always go one step further and get a Hudson (formerly Page Drums) kit. The lugs touch the shell, but nothing is drilled, and you tune each drum with ONE tension rod.

http://hudsoncustomdrums.com/sets/
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Looks like Sleishman is working on getting some better distribution here in the U.S. Their website shows something coming from nashville in that direction. I'm curious to see what because I have been looking at these drums for awhile now and would consider actually purchasing one if they can get something going over here.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

I'm really interested in Sleishman drums but they won't get back to me. Are they not very good at answering emails?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Now that we have the tune-bot it could be interesting if someone could tune the top head to be in tune with itself and then measure if the bottom head is in tune with itself.
I suspect that drumheads are too inconsistent to guarantee that.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I'm really interested in Sleishman drums but they won't get back to me. Are they not very good at answering emails?
Why not call? Or Drum centre of Portsmouth sells their snares, maybe you can get in touch through them.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 AM

I just bought a set of Omega Series Fusion size drums from
a very nice guy off of Craigslist. It is the 4th Set I have owned
and I can clearly say that they are the nicest most natural and
full sounding drums I have ever played. I would recommend you
trying them if you can and that you will be impressed. I was in
contacted by the new distributer called "Mothertone" in Nashville.
They are still setting up their distribution with Sleishman and should be
getting them out to stores soon. The double pedal they make is also
a very unique design. Love these drums man.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM

There have been delays, especially in the US, but if you can get one you surely should, I've got 2
A funk 8/10/12/14 with a 20 BD
A rock 10/12/14/16 with a 22 bd

They are phenomenal, and surely not heavy as some guys suggest...
I won't trade them for the world. They're also very few for sale around the world....

Quote:
I'm sorry but this is not really an argument is it ? Did you actually played on them ?
The pitch you are looking for can be achieved by using different or same heads....
What you have missed is help and guidance, not hardware...

I hop you'll try them and then reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Why not call? Or Drum centre of Portsmouth sells their snares, maybe you can get in touch through them.
Have you tried on facebook ?

Last edited by Bernhard; 02-19-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Did you think of Guru drums???? Undrilled shell with the option to tune diferent batter and reso
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

How much does a set of Guru drums run anyway? They look absolutely AMAZING! Which usually translates to absolutely out of my price range.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

I believe Andy mentioned something about Craviotto pricing in another thread. They are likely some of the best in the world. But I believe that they are definitely in a different price range than the Sleishmans, and the Sleishmans are very fine drums- it just depends if you're willing to save up that much more.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 AM

Just read this thread, here's my '92 set. Great Drums
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 AM

This thread started when Methusela was a boy. I wonder if the OP ever found his Sleishmans ?

I looked at Sleishmans home page http://www.sleishman.com/

They do seem to have limited stockists even in Australia, ( none listed in Perth for example) but there is one listed in Nashville and a few in Europe.

It may be a "contact your local retailer" rather than the manufacturer procedures.

For example even though I live in the same City as Brady...I would go to Mega Music for advice etc on their drums.

Metro based in Brisbane a small manufacturer making Australian hardwoods are difficult to pin down.

I guess its hard to be a small manufacturer and build a network as well. and of course then supply said network.

Possibly easier to get a local shop to get them tracked down for you.

I think Bosphorus cymbals had problems going from a smallish brand to an expanded American networked product. I think that attempt "fell over" because of delivery issues...guess the Boz had to go from hand made to Zildjian type manufacturing to satisfy that...glad they didnt ( not bagging the Z just prefer to have artisan companies resist the temptation to mass produce)

Anyway maybee post here if you cant get Sleishmans directly, or through the list on the website http://www.sleishman.com/

I'm sure one of us Australians may have more luck finding them

cheers
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

They're the best sounding drums on the galaxy/planet EASY to tune best EVERYTHING about them :resonance sustain volume clarity NO OVERTONES just the cleanest purest notes&pitch.
I've got a 20" kick 10 12 14 toms which are fitted with Remo clear Diplomats top&bottom (except kick) which has a Piwerstroke 3 Clear batter as i wanted a pre-muffled head WITHOUT having to put/stick a blanket or pillow which IMHO/FWIW interferes with the fundamental purpose&sound of a kick drum& a drums shell.IF you DO choose&decide to buy a Sleishman PLEASE DONT choke the sound by putting Pinstripes on which'll defeat the purpose of having free floating drums in the 1st place! .

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 05-13-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Language
Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM

You got it Bonzo, to me the whole purpose of these drums is wide open tone. Sound guys hate them . You understand because you own them and play them. Let 'em ring.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

I think he likes his Sleishmans. Good for him, I guess?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I went to the sleishman factory tonight.. I'm getting them to cut a bass drum down but I got to play an omega, another pro level kit and Dave tapped on a freshly built bubinga set as well as a little maple 18x14 bass drum.

The 18" kick sounded as big and low as some of my 22s - made my yamaha kick look pretty pointless. The bubinga kit had just been built for a customer, it was tuned JAW and it sustained and sounded huge, any other kit I've played would have just sounded dead at that tuning. The bare shell interiors (no lugs bolted on) just look really nice too. I was already a believer but this was a nice refresher, they're awesome drums. I just couldn't afford one nor do I need another kit.

I'll be back there to get my bass drum, hopefully I can check out a little more.

Drummingman:

Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 AM

I hesitantly&reluctantly swapped/traded my Sleishmans in for a 'hybrid" kit comprising of :Yamaha 7000 26" kick in chrome on/over wood finish, 9x13" Corder/Fibes rack tom,
70s -80s Ludwig B/O badged chrome on/over wood 14x14" floor tom.WHY did i do this?,
because bass player of 1st &most current/recent band i was in said he couldn't hear my kick even though at the 1st&as it turns out last ever gig i played with them it's supposed to be have been miked up.BUT i digress BECAUSE also the toms were "power toms" &i had trouble getting them close enough to me were i was sitting &couldn't get my cymbal stands close enough either.Forcing me to reach over more then i should've resulting in back pain.Also time taken to set up my kit was pissing off band members as i wasn't used to playing a kit with "power toms" the "floor tom" which's 14x14 (or 12x14) i had to suspend off a stand which also resulted in me having my ride cymbal in a position where it's uncomfortable to play.BOTTOM LINE/MORAL OF THE STORY DONT order a Sleishman kit with power toms! also found communicating with company difficult&painful&stressful! :(.BUT having said that i DO want to get another Sleishman kit BUT in "NORMAL" NON power tom sizes! :).