DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Default PDP Concept Maple Review

PDP Concept Maple Review - [EDIT - MP# Demo File Attached]

This kit is essentially the same configuration as the Mapex kit I sold to make room for it. The primary difference is that the Mapex kit was birch and the PDP is of course maple. The maple shells are definitely more in tune with the tone I want. I have had the kit for 3 months now and I would say the honeymoon period is over.

Finish - I can’t find a flaw and the pearlescent white color is simply awesome.

Hardware - The bass drum came with 2 right hand spurs. Beyond that though it’s been perfect on finish and performance. DW was beyond helpful in getting things straightened out with replacement spurs. This is a shell kit though so it only includes the tom mounts, legs etc. It comes with extra lugs which is a nice touch as well as a pillow for the bass drum which I don’t use.

Snare - The 20 ply shell [EDIT - 10 ply] is the heaviest I have used which gives it a different feel and vibe than I am used to but I like it. It seems to center the sound if that makes any sense. I am using a coated G1 batter head and an Evans 300 snare reso. The 10 lugs on the snare are definitely welcome vs the 8 on my old Mapex kit

Bass - The drum is slammin’. I am using a clear PS3 batter and a black PS3 reso with a 5” port. The small end of an Evans EQ pad is the only muffling. The rubber protector on the batter hoop is a nice touch to keep the pedal from chewing up the hoop.

Toms - The toms are the best I have played. It’s the first set of drums I have had where clear Ambassadors were smooth and tuned up easily without any wavering or other issues that need a lot of time to tune out. The sustain is very good. Probably too good for a lot of recording situations. I will likely have to use just a little muffling to tighten them up just a bit for some recording session. Heads are currently clear ambassador over clear ambassador. I may go to coated heads though to help tighten up the sustain. The PDP kit has 2 more lugs on the 8”, 14” and 16” toms which is welcome. The 14/16 drums on the Mapex kit were difficult to tune at times with only 6 lugs. The PDP kit has no such issues.

For the money this kit is really something else. The quality, performance and the tone are just first rate. What they have been able to accomplish for this price point is just mind blowing.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 CM Demo.mp3 (2.89 MB, 61 views)

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 03-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: PDP Concept Maple Review

Glad to hear your enjoying them. I been wondered what happened to you and if it all worked out. Im still thinking of getting a shell pack too
Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Good to hear! I've had a soft spot for this whole line since it came out (though now that the Sonor Player kit is out, that'll probably be my ply kit).

PDP's website says the snare is 10-ply, though I suppose you might mean the 20-ply PDP birch snare they make?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 AM

20 was a typo. Sure feels like 20 though! !
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM

If you think the clip is awful you are welcome to say so. I won't be offended. ...:)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

I thought the snare and kick sounded pretty average on the recording (maybe more of a result of the mics) but those toms sound really gorgeous. Great tuning there :)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I thought the snare and kick sounded pretty average on the recording (maybe more of a result of the mics) but those toms sound really gorgeous. Great tuning there :)
Thanks for the feedback. This is the first time i have used the i5 on snare. Its much more mid scooped than a 57. I plan to try several mics there. The kick is a really punchy hard rock kind of sound. When i back that mic off it gets much more round sounding typically.

I thought the toms were pretty good myself. I typically dont mic toms so i didnt know what expect. I may try my m177's on overheads and see what impact that has.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Its very helpful. Finding sounds in the studio is a never ending process...:)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

The drums sound quite good on the recording. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Anything you would want to tweak if it was your kit?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 AM

Thanks for the review. PDP has come a lonnggg way since their debut and puts out a great product for the price. Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Interesting follow up.. I was experimenting with the demo recording last night and realized that the tom mics were actually muted when I rendered the audio I posted. So the sound you are hearing is just the kick and snare mics along with the 2 over head mics.

Its actually quite a boon for me. I prefer to use the fewest number of mics possible when recording drums or any other instrument. I have added the tom mics for more flexibility if needed but from what I am hearing so far they will be muted most of the time.

The more I listen to the track the more I hear things I want to work on. The toms are pretty low on the list though.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 PM

I have been fine tuning things as I get a few minutes here and there. Drums are still the PDP concept maple kit and the mics are the same but I have been tweaking placement a little. The guitar is a PRS into a Legacy 3 driving a custom ISO cab I built. Mics on the guitar are an SM57, ie and e906.

Still a lot of work to do but its getting better
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Studio Sample.mp3 (2.29 MB, 19 views)