DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,163
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

My favorite combo for "power" sizes, was a Remo Controlled Sound over an Ambassador, so I'd vote for a single ply head on the batter also.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. However, I've decided that the power toms aren't for me. It's more of a playability issue than it is sound. They sound pretty good w/ single ply heads but it's not what I expected -and- I don't like how I have to mount the tom to reach it. You also have to move a lot of air w/ these deeper toms...and I'm too picky about how they feel.

You'll be shocked to know I've already replaced this kit. I can return it to the fellow I bought it from but I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in it? I'm not looking to make a buck, I'd sell it for what I paid...which was pretty reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
You'll be shocked to know I've already replaced this kit. .
WHAT?????????????????????????????????????????????

actually,.......no............of course I'm not shocked in the least.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. However, I've decided that the power toms aren't for me. It's more of a playability issue than it is sound. They sound pretty good w/ single ply heads but it's not what I expected -and- I don't like how I have to mount the tom to reach it. You also have to move a lot of air w/ these deeper toms...and I'm too picky about how they feel.

You'll be shocked to know I've already replaced this kit. I can return it to the fellow I bought it from but I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in it? I'm not looking to make a buck, I'd sell it for what I paid...which was pretty reasonable.
Dude, I've had showers that have lasted longer than some of your kits!
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Dude, I've had showers that have lasted longer than some of your kits!
The idea is; never play the same drum twice...I'm getting there.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Steady Freddy's Avatar
Steady Freddy Steady Freddy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the pocket.
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

OMG, Vinnie's going 805.
__________________
My body stunk, but I kept my funk.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

805? Is that military-code for "buck wild"?

I've learned my lesson, no more eBay drums. I'm gettin' off this crazy bus. I don't know enough about "vintage" drums to bother w/ the risk.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Steady Freddy's Avatar
Steady Freddy Steady Freddy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the pocket.
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
805? Is that military-code for "buck wild"?
Yeah, Something like that. So what's next?
__________________
My body stunk, but I kept my funk.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Yeah, Something like that. So what's next?
I got a really nice deal on a 3pc (22, 16, 12) Pearl Masters MCX at GC last night. I actually walked in there to get a head and threw a price at them...and they went for it. I was surprised, they never negotiate.

I'll either return them to the seller and take a hit on shipping costs or sell them myself.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Steady Freddy's Avatar
Steady Freddy Steady Freddy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the pocket.
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I got a really nice deal on a 3pc (22, 16, 12) Pearl Masters MCX at GC last night. I actually walked in there to get a head and threw a price at them...and they went for it. I was surprised, they never negotiate.
Very cool. I've seen those kits at GC also. They look nice. I'm broke supporting my wife at the moment so I can go to GC and not get into too much trouble.

She'll be working again in a couple of months. Oh boy!
__________________
My body stunk, but I kept my funk.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Very cool. I've seen those kits at GC also. They look nice. I'm broke supporting my wife at the moment so I can go to GC and not get into too much trouble.

She'll be working again in a couple of months. Oh boy!
It's pretty sweet, I'm happy with it and the price was (very) right. I never had much interest in Pearl drums other than the cheap Forum kit I bought when I first started playing. The sound is thunderous and warm, quality is undeniable...the hardware is excellent - great bang-for-da-buck. I'll definitely be keeping this one for playing out. I got them to throw in a free PowerStroke 3 kick head, a PDP bass drum pillow, and a bass-drum-O. The manager was feeling generous, I think.

I can't wait to see your next snare, Freddy. I'm running out of lines too, so you need to get off the wagon soon!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Steady Freddy's Avatar
Steady Freddy Steady Freddy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the pocket.
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post

I can't wait to see your next snare, Freddy. I'm running out of lines too, so you need to get off the wagon soon!
I've been looking at a Jimmy Chamberlin kinda funny lately.

Post some pics of the new kit. We want to see those shinny new tubs.

Take care.
__________________
My body stunk, but I kept my funk.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I've been looking at a Jimmy Chamberlin kinda funny lately.

Post some pics of the new kit. We want to see those shinny new tubs.

Take care.
No wonder he filed a restraining order...

New kit w/ pics!

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=476288
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,163
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

I'd keep the Luddies (kick and floor), sell off the power toms, replace them with a "traditional" sized 6 ply tom (12 or 13), bamm, 2 kits. One set up all the time ready to play, one tore down ready for gigs.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'd keep the Luddies (kick and floor), sell off the power toms, replace them with a "traditional" sized 6 ply tom (12 or 13), bamm, 2 kits. One set up all the time ready to play, one tore down ready for gigs.
I thought about that...and even thought about suggesting it to my wife. But then I also thought about the things she might do to me in my sleep.

The guy tried to fight me today on the refund, too. eBay is getting worse, as far as quality sellers is concerned. Tough times seems to have brought out the real creeps. I filed a PayPal claim and he instantly changed his tune - they're shipping out today.

To eBay's credit; they seem to have stepped up their "buyer protection" policy w/ the latest round of changes. They've never been so responsive. We'll see how this goes.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
TenPastTen's Avatar
TenPastTen TenPastTen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katrina's Wake
Posts: 636
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
OMG, Vinnie's going 805.
Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Although, Zambizzi seems to be going about this a much different way.
__________________

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 AM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Although, Zambizzi seems to be going about this a much different way.
That's to bad, I thought I might talk him into trading the Pearls with my Tama Rockstar ...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com