DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Administrator

Default parking officials

if ... if i met some dude in a bar and we hit it off and had a great chat and i thought to myself 'hey, this guy would be a good person to have as a friend' and then i asked him 'hey man, what do you do for a living?' and he said he was a parking attendant, i would stand up and leave immediately in disgust.

my car was clamped while i was unloading my drums in an alley last night and i had to fork out 250 to have it released.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: parking officials

Ouch....................20
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Senior Administrator

''One interesting question is this. The court clearly made the right of the clamping company to clamp a vehicle dependant on the implied consent of the motorists who parks being aware of the notice. What would happen if the motorist places a sticker on the windscreen, or possibly the wheels themselves, stating, in the clearest of terms, that they do not consent to any clamps being placed on the vehicle? What if that consent could not be implied? The court found that the clamping required consent. That consent was inferred, and no more, from a notice. An explicit denial of that consent might lead to interesting court cases.''

i'm going to get me one of those stickers

Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Jason, here in the States, the "implied consent" could be satisfied simply by the act of parking in the alley itself...

The stickers stating that you do not "consent" could be construed to be an admission you knew of the policy...

Hard to get around some of these laws and local regulations...THE REAL issue is the lack of consideration and/or basic humanity of the parking attendant who obviously knew you were unloading and NOT leaving your vehicle there.

Same issue here with tow truck operators who would pounce on your car within seconds of leaving it in a loading zone, etc.

Sad that some people's lives consist of how best to cause misery to others....

Focus on the baby man, focus on the baby!!!!

Christian Drummers Army
Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

If there are double yellow lines there, you're running a risk; regardless of whether or not you're unloading. We all do it, but you were the unlucky one. A guy I know's Dad was unloading his car for his sons' gig in Maidstone a few weeks ago and he parked where he thought he was told he could - turned out he'd parked four feet to the right of where he was supposed to and was in the private parking space of a Solicitor's Office. 150 did the trick...

Incidentally, I know of at least one forum member who is a parking attendant.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

The thing that strikes me in particular is when a car gets clamped or towed, rather than just have the owner move it, they let the car sit there for 3 or 4 hours where it wasn't supposed to be in the first place. And if a tow truck comes, thats another whole story because often they have to park the tow truck in illegal parking zones while they load the car, and those guys aren't usually the most expedient!
Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Founder Drummerworld

I normally leave some drumsticks in the fond of the car - so everybody knows i'm a drummer and i can park at every place reservated for handicapped.

Bernhard
Old 08-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

ok, you had me going in the wrong way....

"if i met some dude in a bar and we hit it off"

but, i know now.ha..

that sucks jason, wish we could help you out..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 PM

hm... I have never blamed a parking attendant when I got I ticket. It was always my fault. Isn't this always the case??? but yep, it's easier to blame others for our own mistakes. (same as speeding...!)
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Big_Philly

Of course, we're the people that park our car where we're not supposed to park it if we get a parking ticket... but parking tickets are high as hell these days! I got one recently, 60 euros. 2 euros being the actual fine, and the other 58 "administration costs". Seriously, that's what the ticket said! So I pay 2 euros for the parking. Fine. But the other 58 goes to some incompetent a$$ who has to copy-paste a number into a form and press ok twice, and then goes out to get coffee and donuts to regain his strength.
I have no problem paying a fine if I break a law, whether I knew better or not. But this is rediculous.
The 250 pounds is probably 20 for the clamping and releasing and 230 for coffee and donuts. It would probably have been cheaper and less of a pain to beat up the parking official ;)
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM

I love how the punishment for parking your car in an unauthorized area is to imobilize the car. Kind of ironic.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

Don't get me started on those cops that pull me over when I'm speeding. I mean sure i'm not supposed to do 90mph in a 65 but I'm not hurting anyone...

kidding...

I used to live in the county seat and I know in the downtown area they were strict as heck on parking times. If you were a minute over how much you paid you were pretty much screwed.
The funny thing is they wandered why downtown business was so crappy--possibly the nazi parking cop.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

We don't have clamping in the western US that I'm aware of. I had to look it up to find out what it is. Man, that would really get me going. If I lived in an area where clamping was present, I'd probably have a set of bolt cutters stashed in the car. I imagine that would mean more trouble, though.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Berhard, I like your idea, leaving some sticks visible so that we get "handicapped" privileges!!!

Perhaps a "Drummerworld" bumper sticker...used to identify to the parking folks that we really don't understand and need a little "pity"...

Besides, Nutha, why didn't you have your many roadies or perhaps your groupies watch and/or move your car for you.....

Had to park and carry all my stuff about a block and a half last weekend...many trips and made me wonder why I don't play the flute? Or maybe be a vocalist so I can just show up at the last minute....

Christian Drummers Army
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Senior Administrator

just found out my agent knew that the clamping company had moved into that alley 6 weeks before the gig. he even warned the regular bands that play in that dump. we werejust standing in for the evening and he forgot to warn us.guess who's not getting his ten percent for the next few months?

j

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
I normally leave some drumsticks in the fond of the car - so everybody knows i'm a drummer and i can park at every place reservated for handicapped.

Bernhard
you know, there was a VW commercial where the car parked in front of a hydrant had a pair of sticks next to the shifter, and the guy decides not to tow the car...the commercial said it was because it was a VW, but we all know the real reason.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
We don't have clamping in the western US that I'm aware of. I had to look it up to find out what it is. Man, that would really get me going. If I lived in an area where clamping was present, I'd probably have a set of bolt cutters stashed in the car. I imagine that would mean more trouble, though.
Yeah, you DO NOT want to add that to the price of your ticket. Here in Philly, its an aditional $400 on top of the ticket, labeled as "Destruction Of Govt Property", and the price of the "boot" itself, if damaged. In NYC, people just drive away with it on their vehicle(j.k., Simpson's moment) But I have seen a gun pulled on a "booter" in Queens(Flatbush Ave nice area).I didnt stick around to see the outcome! I ve heard the trick is, for residents with no parking, to steal a boot and just kind of "put" it on your car when you wanna park illegally overnight.I dont know if this works though, sounds like an "urban legend" to me.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I'm on my way now to pick up my car in Brooklyn. it was towed last night. They want over $1,000.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
You've never heard of the Denver Boot. I think they were first to use a clamp.

The standard denver boot is designed to fit vehicles that have a flat rim face. The difference between the standard boot and the 4x4 boot is the amount of height inside the hub. The standard boot will fit the majority of the vehicles on the road.
On the right is the hub that comes with the standard denver boot. The purpose of the hub is to prevent access to the lug nuts for removal of the entire tire.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Could have called Angle-Grinder Man.

The BBC reported on Angle-Grinder Man, a British self-described "wheel-clamp superhero" who uses an angle grinder to cut wheel clamps off vehicles in Kent and London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle-Grinder_Man
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
lewisn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarlet View Post
Could have called Angle-Grinder Man.

The BBC reported on Angle-Grinder Man, a British self-described "wheel-clamp superhero" who uses an angle grinder to cut wheel clamps off vehicles in Kent and London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle-Grinder_Man
great minds think alike. lol (i thought about angle grinder man too)
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM

There was a belter today in the Daily Record in Glasgow.

A gentleman parked his car on a single yellow line, and whilst he was away, some pleasant Glasgow "youths" stole all four of the wheels on his car.

So he phoned his insurance company who said they would pick up the car the following afternoon, and he proceded to write a note explaining his predicament to any passing parking official.

They STILL gave him a ticket.

Currently the chap is going through an appeal process with the local council, and it looks like he will get off with it, and quite rightly so.

And ALSO, Tutin will back me up on this, in Scotland its ILLEGAL to clamp any car, anywhere. Some guy took the clampers to the court and won on grounds of Blackmail. Pay us money and we will give you yer car back!!

x
Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockingfreakapotamus View Post
There was a belter today in the Daily Record in Glasgow.

A gentleman parked his car on a single yellow line, and whilst he was away, some pleasant Glasgow "youths" stole all four of the wheels on his car.

So he phoned his insurance company who said they would pick up the car the following afternoon, and he proceded to write a note explaining his predicament to any passing parking official.

They STILL gave him a ticket.

Currently the chap is going through an appeal process with the local council, and it looks like he will get off with it, and quite rightly so.

And ALSO, Tutin will back me up on this, in Scotland its ILLEGAL to clamp any car, anywhere. Some guy took the clampers to the court and won on grounds of Blackmail. Pay us money and we will give you yer car back!!

x
RFP speaks the truth, it's good times for us Scots.

I thought I'd say a few things about how you can get out of paying for a ticket, in the UK at least.

Firstly, a double yellow line must be a solid double yellow line! If it has a scratch into it, or has been worn away over the years, you can park on it. If you get a ticket, you can claim for compensation for the parking official wasting your time, because if the road people aren't doing their part and keeping the line clear, so everyone can see it, why should you pay for it? This law that the line must be solid is there so that someone, perhaps an elderly person with bad eyesight doesn't park on the line, for example. However you can still get away without a charge yourself and I know people who have done this.
Another good one is that if you're at a pay and display, you actually pay for an extra 15 minutes more than it says on the ticket. This is called something like "common courtesy time" or something like that, and again is to allow time to people with lots of shopping, or again elderly people, to get back to their car. So if you're given a ticket 5 minutes after your ticket runs out, you can claim compensation again.
This one is last, and it's more commonly known. If the ticket isn't placed on your windscreen then it is invalid. If you see an official writing out a ticket for you and you have time to run to your car and drive away before he puts it on, DO IT! haha. All they do is write "ran away" or something on the ticket. If you get it through the post, you can contest against it and again claim compensation.

So hopefully these come in useful for you guys! Happy parking!

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied