DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Headvice?

I have never used coated heads on any of my drums.

Ever.

Its always been Evans G2 clear batters, or EC2s or Pinstripes for me.

Lately, I'm intrigued with the idea of going with coated heads on my Yammie MCANs

The times I've sat in on kits with coated heads, they've never quite been tuned.But on the other hand, some of the kits I've heard in unmiked situations sound really sweet to my ears.

So what is the big difference? ...On maple shells?

Any recommendations by any of you that have experience with both, would be welcome. Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Headvice?

Clear heads will be brighter sounding (more upper harmonics) with more "attack" from the stick. Coated heads will muffle some overtones, making the drum sound "warmer" and "rounder", and the articulation of the stick will be a little less pronounced.

I prefer the sound of coateds to clears, but in the studio, the engineers typically like clears more than coateds. It's easier to get a "note" out of the drum, and the clarity of the stick striking the head is easier to sit in the mix.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
So what is the big difference? ...On maple shells?
Coated heads tend to exhibit a whitish color, whereas clear heads allow you to see inside the drum. Hope this helps!

On a slightly more serious note, you should really try coated heads for yourself and make some recordings with them. Getting a set of heads isn't a big investment, but it gives you a good excuse to get greasy with those tuning screws. Personally, I like my single-ply heads coated and double plies clear.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Coated heads tend to exhibit a whitish color, whereas clear heads allow you to see inside the drum. Hope this helps!

On a slightly more serious note, you should really try coated heads for yourself and make some recordings with them. Getting a set of heads isn't a big investment, but it gives you a good excuse to get greasy with those tuning screws. Personally, I like my single-ply heads coated and double plies clear.
I like your sound files, J.......what do you have on your resos ( you've got ambassador single ply on your toms, right? )
Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you have on your resos?
I have a clear Diplomat on my 10" tom, and depending on the sound I want I'll use either a clear Ambassador or a Diplomat on my 14" tom -- the Diplomat gives more ring and brightness, and the Ambassador gives more definition and low end. The 10" tom doesn't like thicker reso heads (probably due to its thin and light shell), but it does pack a wallop never the less.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
LOL - Priceless!!

I too am still debating which heads to get for my maple kit (leaning towards clear pinstripes), however, the Artstar II has thick shells and I would think that it will respond differently to the same heads compared to your kit.

I think it's definitely worth a shot to try some coateds out though, Aydee. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you play a freakin' MCAN!! Those drums will sound great with grocery bags as heads - paper OR plastic, hahaha.

Worst case scenario - you go coated, learn that you prefer clears, but your drums still sound amazing.
Best case scenario - you go coated, love them, and wonder why you didn't try them sooner.

I would imagine coated Emperors, Pinstripes, or maybe even PS3's are the best candidates (or Evans equivalent if you prefer). I've always been a Remo guy myself.

I'll be talking to my friend (who's a local drum teacher/tech) this week. He plays a 6-piece MCA so I'll see if he has any experience or advice on coated heads for his kit.

Take care man,

Mike
Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

The most-recorded head combination ever is the coated Ambassador over clear Ambassadors, any style of music you can name. Check out the Drum Doctors (supplier of recording kits to the biggest names in the business) site: kit after kit with coated ambs. Many records are recorded with this combination even if the drummer is not a Remo endorser or always uses 2-ply clears on tour.

Coated Emperors are not far behind.

They work well on a lot of drums. If you dislike the plasticky attack sound of clear heads, they're a good solution. They also lessen the high overtones just a smidge, sounding a bit warmer.

Note that the Evans frosty "coating" is not the same thing and does not sound the same as a real coating. You may like them, I don't.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

I agreed with everything drumtechdad said although I wanted to make sure we were clear (no pun intended) about the Evans quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Note that the Evans frosty "coating" is not the same thing and does not sound the same as a real coating.
Just last night I put on some of the new Evans G Plus heads on a couple of my Gretsch toms (12 and 14). These heads have the kind of texture drumtechdad mentioned - 'frosted'. The confusing thing is Evans calls these 'coated' and that confuses that texture with what they have on coated G1's and G2's - which is traditional white coating. Same thing with some of the EC heads - call'em coated when they are really frosted.

Back to OP.
I have EC2 clears on my YMCAN set right now but they are coming off in the nxt week. They've been on for a bout a year and my YMCAN is usually my home practice/recording set. I've been doing a company jam session for a music manufacturer for the last few years and they 'thank me' with a set of Evans heads. First year I asked for coated G2's(with Hazy 200's, PCRD, EMAD, etc) last year was the EC2's. I already had some new Aquarian Satin Texture Coated heads as resos so that's what's been on the bottom.

This year I'm back to coated G2 batters/clear G1 reso's. I've enjoyed trying out the EC2's but feel they are a bit more muffled then I like. Still very nice sounding heads for the right drums. I'm using these Evans heads even though I am primarily an Aquarian guy. If I had a major studio gig come up, I'd switch the heads over to the Aquarian STC single plies I mentioned. The STC (or 'TC' heads as Aquarian puts on the boxes) are not quite as thin as a Remo Ambassador - but possibly similar to the new Remo Vintage A's (which I haven't tried but have read about). FWIW, I have tried Evans coated G1's as batters but never got them to sound like I wanted.

The time tested studio solutions always seem to point towards single ply coated batters over clear single ply resonant heads, most notably Remo. This is one of the clearest examples of a working and winning approach as these heads can be seen on a
myriad of different drums (wood, metal, big, small, vintage, new, different drum manufacturers). Having said that, this is a studio solution and live solutions often take a different turn for different reasons. Dave Weckl himself says on the DVD 'How to Develop Your Own Sound' that he always uses Ambassadors in the studio but 2-ply Emperors live, mostly for durability while on the road.

So let me conclude by saying that I'll have the G2/G1 combo on my toms but next time I have to 'buy a round for the house', I'll use Aquarian TC single ply heads on the batters and classic Clears on the resonant heads of the toms.

Jim

P.S. - Like I mentioned I have just put the G Plus heads on my 80's Gretsch maple toms and generally tuned them. So far they sound very good but I won't know for sure until I play them on a gig this Friday.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Pioneer Member

I would recommend Evans G1 Coated all around...great stuff. But, for some reason if you are Remo person, try the Vintage Ambassadors.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I have coated G2s over clear G1s on a DW collectors kit and a Yamaha MCAN. Great combination.

I've tried the EC1s and 2s in frosted and clear. Clear and coated Emperors over clear Ambassadors and liked them all, but the G2/G1 combo sounds the best to my ears.

I tend to use two ply batters. Single ply heads don't last very long for me. The exception would be the EC1, and probably the G plus. I haven't tried the G plus yet.

I've used a lot of heads during the past three years. Pin Strips, Super 2s, Performance 2s. Studio Xs, Response 2s, and the heads already mentioned

The G2/G1 sounds the best so far.

HTH

Last edited by Steady Freddy; 08-26-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 PM

I finally had a chance to talk to my drum teacher/tech friend that I mentioned in my previous post. As far as batter side-coated heads go, he recommended 2-ply's of 7-mil each (Emperor if you go Remo, G2 if you go Evans) for your kit. For whatever that's worth, I hope it helps, man.

All the best,

Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Mikey, thanks so much for the trouble. Coated G2s seem to be the recurring theme on this tune! Might stay with that and G1 resos and see how I make out.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboyxx View Post
Just last night I put on some of the new Evans G Plus heads on a couple of my Gretsch toms (12 and 14). These heads have the kind of texture drumtechdad mentioned - 'frosted'. The confusing thing is Evans calls these 'coated' and that confuses that texture with what they have on coated G1's and G2's - which is traditional white coating. Same thing with some of the EC heads - call'em coated when they are really frosted.
Thanks for saying it better than I did, Jim. Evans should call the frosted "coating" something else.

Quote:

P.S. - Like I mentioned I have just put the G Plus heads on my 80's Gretsch maple toms and generally tuned them. So far they sound very good but I won't know for sure until I play them on a gig this Friday.
Let us know how you like them, please.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Mikey, thanks so much for the trouble. Coated G2s seem to be the recurring theme on this tune! Might stay with that and G1 resos and see how I make out.
No trouble at all. I had to talk to him about heads for my maple kit anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone.