DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Default What do u guys think of Weckl................

I think Weckl's just awesome. My drum teacher said he never makes mistakes! He's my favourite cause he plays the drum so smooth and with so much feeling,but of course there r other amazing drummers too. It's just I get the most feel when I hear him play, what do u guys think...........?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: What do u guys think of Weckl................

Weckl is amazing I agree. I know a while back Dave got bashed for being too perfect but, that didn't stop me from liking him. He played a couple of nights at a small music club here in the Detroit area a few years ago and I went to both shows and really enjoyed myself. He was great as well as all the other players in the band. My wife and I were driving to the location and we spotted a motorhome and there's Dave behind the wheel driving the whole band to the show. It was amusing to have seen him that way also.

Recently I picked up Chick Corea Elektric Band - Live At Montreux 2004 on DVD and Dave does not disappoint. He is featured quite nicely throught and the DVD runs a bit under three hours. That is just the band playing. No featurettes, no bonus stuff, just the band playing up a storm. At $14.99 I consider it a very good investment.

Cheers

J P

Last edited by JPDrum; 11-09-2005 at 05:15 PM. Reason: My first attempt sucked
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Dave Weckl

people who criticize his perfectness sounds just ridiculous
Old 12-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Dave is a world class drummer, no doubt about it. But sometimes, I find he's a little too perfect. Everything is correct, and that's what leaves me a little vacant. I'd rather listen to someone edgier, like Morgan Agren. Having said that, it is incontestable that he is an incredible drummer with a great sound.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo
Dave is a world class drummer, no doubt about it. But sometimes, I find he's a little too perfect. Everything is correct, and that's what leaves me a little vacant. I'd rather listen to someone edgier, like Morgan Agren. Having said that, it is incontestable that he is an incredible drummer with a great sound.
I kind of understand what you're saying, it's sort of nice to know that a drummer like that still makes mistakes, like the rest of is. But to me, it really astonishes me that someone can play so perfect. I think he's an ideal teacher.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Weckl's video Back To Basics is one of the most awesome drum videos of all time
Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Stu_Strib

Best modern drum sounds recorded. Period.

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-03-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff
Weckl's video Back To Basics is one of the most awesome drum videos of all time
Yeah, i'm gonna get that one.

I really got into practicing my technique because of him.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Any of you guys have a picture of Dave's drumkit in the "Back to Bsics" vid' to post on this forum? That kit is just so awesome, but I can't find it on the web !!!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
I have both, need I post a photo? they look and weigh identically...
similar yet different.

Notice the Gadd sticks from the shoulder to the bead have very little taper to them (or from butt to tip, for that matter).

Weckl sigs have a beefy shoulder and a harsher taper down to the tip.

The center of gravity is way different too. Hold on in the fulcrum and find the center balance point. You'll notice the Gadd ones differ from the Weckl ones.

The shape of the tips, while similar, are not identical.

Also, Gadd plays with the BUTT of his sticks a lot, and the shape and tape of the stick reflects that. I think his sticks are long and skinny with little taper to accomodate this flipping the stick around for using the butt on the ride, but still feeling the same as when the stick is the other way.

Just my observations, having tried both sticks.

The only thing I dislike about either stick is that when your hands sweat, that finish gets real slippery (and the Gadd stick lacquer on the bead wears through really fast).
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Is he complaining that some music is nicely rounded?

What's wrong with that...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
Is he complaining that some music is nicely rounded?

What's wrong with that...

He's talking about the actual recording and tone of the instruments. I tend to agree....you get that super eq'd, perfect recorded, studio magic type of sound a LOT with fusion albums.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely Weckl. He was ALL I listened to for my earlier formative drum years..and I absolutely love Corea, but a lot of that type of stuff leaves me cold these days. The cool thing about those big fusion groups, was how good they were live. You lose most of that super slick studio sound in a live situation, and you really get to here how bad arse those cats really were.

One thing though...it's kind of moot talking about his old stuff. If you listen to anything Weckl's made since the whole Freddie Gruber experience...his new stuff is AWESOMELY groovy. His drums still sound freakin' prefect, but his band has a whole new fire that I really like.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Do you feel like its wrong for musicians to play music that is technically challenging to the player?
Absolutely not, but pieces that are written from the standpoint of a chops-challenge, I feel, miss reaching their emotional potential a lot of the times. Technique should be vocabulary to a musician and used to communicate something other than the vastness of the vocabulary itself. Dave Weckl is extremely capable of great playing, I just haven't heard enough to say that "as a musician" he moves me. I bought the Corea stuff in the 80s 'cause it was the rage. It didn't move me then, and it doesn't move me now. I have watched Weckl instructional videos that floored me from a technical standpoint and, from this post, I'm intrigued enough to go search out his more recent work. So thanks.

As for "nicely rounded," in my opinion, it's one thing to shape and form, but to smooth out all the edges of a musical piece tends to lose the soul...again, this is just my opinion.

Oddly enough, I use Dave Weckl sticks...Hmmmm....

TOMANO
Old 01-08-2006, 12:49 AM

Hey today (8 Jan) is Dave's birthday!! Happy Birthday!!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:58 PM

Great musician! Even better live!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a shot of his kit before a private show at NAMM last week, and a shot during the show:
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2006, 05:07 AM

Well after reading what people had to say im a little surpires alot of peopel were bashing him. Hes an unbeleivable drummer, his latin sutff is killer etc. however, i can see how this overplaying could get borring after a while. Thing is there is nothing wrong with what hes playing, some people say hes not a musical drummer but he obviously is. It may be true though that he could benifit by playing other styles and showing us that he can play less complicated stuff, while still adding to them musicaly. Its obvious he can do this though, im sure weckl could play many different syles unbleivably. overall this might be nice to see but im still happy with what he does now he still plays awesome stuff.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 PM

I just heard a copy of the GRP big band and dave does an amazing job. I had never really heard much of his stuff but i am completly blown away. Like him or not this guy has some badass chops!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Here's a shot of his kit before a private show at NAMM last week, and a shot during the show:
Why was it private? Maybe this perception of inaccessiblity takes away from his popularity a bit? I've heard he is kind of private and not a great one-on-one clinician. I think he is just in such a different league than all of us that he "seems" different. I bet he'd be great to get lessons from!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Why was it private? Maybe this perception of inaccessiblity takes away from his popularity a bit?
It was a private event sponsored by Sabian to present their annual Lifetime Achievement Awards to Walfredo Reyes, Sr., Mitchell Peters, and Bill Ward (of Black Sabbath). The event was hosted by Dom Famularo, and held in a ballroom at the Anaheim Hilton.

Dave Weckl was the first act to follow the awards, and then Terry Bozzio and Joey Heredia each did a set. I met some really cool people there that night, including some DrummerWorld fans. Because the show wasn't advertised and their weren't any tickets made available, I doubt that anyone who wasn't there even knew about it, so it probably didn't contribute to Dave Weckl's (or any of the other drumming luminaries) reputation as "inaccessible." If anything, we all felt privileged to participate in such an intimate event.

Pictures:
#1: The Anaheim Hilton ballroom, site of Sabian LIVE and the 2006 Sabian Lifetime Achievement Awards.
#2: Sabian president Robert Zildjian welcoming everyone to the event.
#3: Bobby Sanabria introducing Walfredo Reyes, Sr.
#4: Walfredo Reyes, Sr. and Robert Zildjian.
#5: Bill Ward addressing the crowd.
#6: Master of Ceremonies Dom Famularo and a very happy group of drumming aficionados.
#7: Dave Weckl thanking his fans.
#8: Dom Famularo chatting with Terry Bozzio behind his kit.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 PM

I just purchased Back to Basics and was blown away...

Drummers like Weckl make me want to quit...

The Chick Corea piece he does with the brushes is sick...............

This guy is a master of our instrument...period...end of discussion. We will never agree on the style of music he plays, that is always highly subjective.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 PM

Couldn't agree with you more Wile E...

These guys knocking Weckl...I'd like to see them play, or actually I probably wouldn't...now Weckl him I like to watch even if it does make me feel so insigificant as a player myself....

I think a lot of the time when people knock those who are more highly skilled somehow it justifies (in their mind) there own lack of skill.....I mean these whole "musicality" thing is getting to almost be a cliche. They see a drummer who blows them away and I guess the only negative thing you can say is that elusive musicality...

I think people (drummers) can identify more with drummers like Ringo, Bonham etc. while great in their own right, deep down we all feel that we can approach that level of playing. Guys like Weckle, Gadd, etc. forget it...they are in another realm.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:11 AM

Does anybody have any idea how Weckl uses that bass drum that just sits off on the side? I think its genius, but I don't understand how it's operated. Anyone's thoughts?

- Marc
Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Stu_Strib

He uses a remote pedal, just like the left pedal on double bass pedals. I'd imagine he has a lot longer linkage though.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Hmmm. I've seen a lot of criticism on this thread. You might not like his style, or the music he plays, but you have to admit: he is a phenomenal musician. If you don't like complicated music, that is fine, but... seriously. The man is a God. No one is above criticism and we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I really can't understand how anyone can criticise an unbelievable drummer like Weckl and keep a straight face.

I like knowing that there will always be far greater players than myself because firstly, it keeps me humble and secondly, it takes the pressure off because you realise that you will never be the best, no matter how hard you try. There will always be a better drummer somewhere in the world. At least, that's what I like to think. That way, you can focus on doing it your way rather than trying to sound like Weckl, Vinnie, Chambers, etc.

Then again, I'm always trying to sound like Gadd (and failing)
Old 03-17-2006, 03:46 PM

anyone who says weckl has no feel wants their head seen to...ok,fusion is daves main thing and it can be a bit busy but thats the style of that genre..all very virtuoso..jazz can be brilliant to watch if your watching the drummer but i probably couldnt go to a 2 hour set without getting a bit bored....but to say weckl has no feel!!!!! just about any drummer we all talk about on here are gifted in their own way...it boils down to what style we prefer to listen to and what impresses us the most..have you seen daves dvd,the next step,where he jams with a big band....the bugle is the name of the tune....he is awsome,especially when the band kicks in...now thats "feel".....he,vinnie,gadd,smith and many others are all fantastic....maybe its people who dont get weckls drumming who are lacking in feel
Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Founder Drummerworld

This page is directly linked with the Dave Weckl site, so we have to stay strictly on topic Weckl here. So some comments about general disliking of drums or personal fights about who is more hating fusion music were removed from DB and B. There are so many other places for this - even on this forum. ok?

B.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Here are some clips of Dave that I got at Sabian Live in January. The one linked here is the longest at over four minutes, and there are links on the page to three other clips as well. This one is the best, though, with some very nice grooves, a tight solo, and a jamming finale. There is simply no way to watch this guy play live and not appreciate both his technical ability and his feel for the groove. He is an amazingly well rounded drummer.

Last edited by DogBreath; 03-20-2006 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Edited to correct spelling
Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 AM

Dave is one of the best out there period. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to him at one of his gig's in St.Louis a few years back by one of his former instructors. He was touring behind his album Snergy at the time. He is not just a phenom on the drums but a great composer of music. Granted, not everyone is into jazz fusion or contemporary jazz or however the industry labels it, keep in mind that Dave and his band create this music together, and each album they have released has been different than the previous one, which is utterly amazing. If you ever get a chance to see the band live, absolutely get there, but dont go just to check out Dave and disect his chop's, check out the whole band. Each of them is a virtuoso in their own right. Truly great artists.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

He has the best sound ever... Great inspiration for some mortals like me!

Thanx

Last edited by DogBreath; 03-20-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
The pantheon you don't get consists of some of the best drummers alive, not based only on their very good technical playing, but for their high demand to play for anyone.

No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock. Its really that easy.

If you have the highest technical skills possible, and can play anything, that makes you good.

Just look at Vinny Colaiuta and Steve Gadd's discography for starters.

Just watch Steve Smith, for crying out loud. If you can't see why he is on top of the drumming world, then I can't really say anything more about it.

Weckl is a matter of taste, but there is no denying his ability. And his drum sound is one of the best recorded.
I totally agree. I wonder though for people who love drums, how could some not like Weckl? Man he's just amazing and his group is wonderful. Stu is totally right about the best recorded drum sound. His Drums have the best recorded sound. Just killer.

Waterjet
Old 03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Without a doubt Dave Weckl is seriously one of the GREATEST drummers of all time....
His technique and precision on the kit is the perfect definition of a drummer in command of his art....
Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM

I'm so lucky, I'm gonna watch him on the 16th or April... He's a magnificent drummer, in my opinion, and I often wonder if I will ever get to be half as creative and skillful as he is...
Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Pioneer Member

He is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not, quite possibly he greatest. Def. in my top 10 favorite drummers. He is so perfect at the drums it's absoluetly amazing. just imagine, a huge drum solo/duet with weckl and gadd..... HAS THAT HAPPENED??
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
He is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not, quite possibly he greatest. Def. in my top 10 favorite drummers. He is so perfect at the drums it's absoluetly amazing. just imagine, a huge drum solo/duet with weckl and gadd..... HAS THAT HAPPENED??
Theres like a big showdown thing between Colaiuta, Gadd, and Weckl on this website that i think it pretty cool. Its from when they were all younger though.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Theres like a big showdown thing between Colaiuta, Gadd, and Weckl on this website that i think it pretty cool. Its from when they were all younger though.
that.....was......brilliant!!! By far the best video on this site! The three best drummers together on one stage like that, simply amazing.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM

The person above me said it perfectly. I just went to his concert last night for the Multiplicity tour, and I tell you all, he was magnificent. He fist had a clinic, and he talked about his technique on the snare and how the setup affects everything, and you could really see that what he said made perfect sense. He has a flawless technique, and he incorporates it into his playing with no problem.

Say all you want, guys, but he is one of the greatest drummers in the world, if not the greatest alone. I mean I understand it when some of you say he plays only by the book, but his creativity shows otherwise. He's got his own unique grooves, and it goes perfectly side by side with the music.

Hats off to Mr. Weckl...
Old 04-20-2006, 02:31 AM

ive been listening to dave play for a long time now and its hard for me to listen to anyone else because of how amazing he is, his music just doesnt get old... i love listening to his amazing drums parts and listening to all the latin and songo patterns he plays his music sounds so seemless, and to me its like the perfect music, ive taken a lesson with him and hes also an amazing teacher, i think all his work and all that devotion has paid off
Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrums91
ive taken a lesson with him and hes also an amazing teacher, i think all his work and all that devotion has paid off
Wow - feel free to share with us what that experience of a lesson was like....
Old 04-27-2006, 05:12 AM

everything he taught in the lesson was from his how to develop technique video so i would suggest evryone pick that up... most of the lesson u just sit there speechless, it really gave me motivation to practice my ass off