DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-31-2005, 03:05 AM
jerbear

Default Re: Dave Weckl

Maybe it's just me... but if you co-write, record,edit,mix,produce and market your own cd's of YOUR band AND people buy them, then I quess he can play anything he wants. BTW his new cd "Multiplicity" just came out and he has put some funk into this one. Check it out here. http://www.davewecklnews.com/
People can dislike what thay want... but I choose to listen to 1 of the greats of our time. IMHO Rock on Dave...
Old 07-31-2005, 04:03 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear
Maybe it's just me... but if you co-write, record,edit,mix,produce and market your own cd's of YOUR band AND people buy them, then I quess he can play anything he wants. BTW his new cd "Multiplicity" just came out and he has put some funk into this one. Check it out here. http://www.davewecklnews.com/
People can dislike what thay want... but I choose to listen to 1 of the greats of our time. IMHO Rock on Dave...
Some funk? On a fusion record? Well, strike me dead, I'd never have expected that!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
ChrisD

I like Dave's drumming alot.Although I couldn't see myself ever playing that kind of music...I love alot of his fills and grooves.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Stu_Strib

It seems Lenardo da Vinci wouldn't have been a Dave Weckl fan:

Quote:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Stu
Old 08-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Pioneer Member

He is no doubt an amazing drummer and is a technique master, but he lacks that substance that makes him fall sort. He doesn't have that raw feel that gives you shivers when you hear drummers like Bonham, Rich, Chambers, Williams, etc. play. It's too much technique in a way, and it takes away from his playing in a major way.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
He doesn't have that raw feel that gives you shivers when you hear drummers like Bonham, Rich, Chambers, Williams, etc. play. It's too much technique in a way, and it takes away from his playing in a major way.

I respectfully disagree...Everytime i hear every section of "highlife" i get the shivers from his raw feel...I could go on and on...IMO his technique adds to playing in a major way...So fluid and effortless...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Ok, recently I atended Dave Weckl band's concert and Dave's clinics, so here is my review

Clinics were a bit booring :)) Mostly because I own all his videos and I have seen all that over and over. He showed his techniques, the Moeller motion, free stroke etc, played some variations of grooves, showed some polyrhitms and 4 limb independence.

The cocert was just great, I never really get into his stuuf, but I enjoyed every second (and I also was bored a bit :D Ya know, his fusion stuff sometimes isn't to exciting) but hey, there were times when Dave and his band really get some tremendous grooves and solos - Tom Kennedy was just WOW, he played one really insane bass solo!, Gary Meek - just excelent! So enjoyable, Steve Weingart - actually I never liked his sound but he was great, no doubt!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
jamndrummer

I seen weckl and his band do a clinic then a show in a club in Milwaukee several years ago..............he is an amazing drummer, I think maybe his personality is a perfectionist and that is why he plays like he does..................in any case.......Ill never have his perfect chops.....................................but he does give drumming 100% and thats high in my book.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:08 AM

I don't know what many of you all are talking about, but I just got one of his cd's at best buy
Dave Weckl Band (live) , and i only listened to the first cd, and im telling you he is so great.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Ynnad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
He is no doubt an amazing drummer and is a technique master, but he lacks that substance that makes him fall sort. He doesn't have that raw feel that gives you shivers when you hear drummers like Bonham, Rich, Chambers, Williams, etc. play. It's too much technique in a way, and it takes away from his playing in a major way.
Have you ppl heard the biginning of "Chicken" in his "live and very plugged in" cd? of course you have... the whole Boom Boom Taa!!! followed by the 5-10 sec solo filled with "raw" energy and then stopping on the hi-hat to anticipate the groove which as soon as he begins to play it, it just sucks you into the song... whew yep that gave me shivers...lol.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 AM

Dave does great incredibly sounds out of his drums. He hits them perfectly, and gets the best crack out of his snare drum. He is not very animated, but that is his style. If he was any other way, it wouldn't be him. Does that make sense? He is always SUPER relaxed, and plays everything with confidence and seeming aforethought. I love his sound. The Dave Weckyl Band is great. He pulls some sick solos.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:07 AM

just got Weckl's back to basics great video
Old 08-19-2005, 03:37 AM

Check out Smith and Weckl in the new drummers collective dvd it's great
Old 08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
jamndrummer

I seen Dave Weckl do a drum clinic and have his band play after the clinic, in Milwaukee a few years ago. He is an amazing drummer. He definetly has his own sound and style. He is a very serious minded performer and takes his craft seriously. That is one reason he has become so good. If you can, see him live, you will be amazed.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Man, how much would it suck to be Dave, come to this forum, and read all this bile?!

I've got almost all his solo albums and all the stuff he's done with Chick. He's an amazing player. He's a nice, approachable guy. He's friendly and open enough to pass his techniques on to anybody who'll listen (and, of course, pay for the clinic or video).

Whether you like his playing or not is a completely subjective thing. If nothing else, he's inspired thousands of drummers to push that little bit harder in their own playing.

Go Dave!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:13 AM
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).

I kind of see where your coming from but all of those drummers are or were the top drummers since the 70's.Dave Weckl is not my favourite drummer (he's in my top 10) but I do have to admit that hearing some of the solos he does makes me believe that he is probably the most technically proficient drummer in the world.I have heard others that have come close (not many!!) but I would rank him at the top of my technical drummers list.I still prefer drummers such as Stewart Copeland and Manu Katche over him however.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:11 AM

i listened to one of his cd's and if too old school sounding... i dont like it.... he is also a bad teacher...he jus says a whole lot of nothing and plays for like 5 to 10 mins on his dvds!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Stu_Strib

What do you mean he's a bad teacher? Do you mean it was over your head? It would be hard to make an insructional dvd and appease every skill level.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:24 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
What do you mean he's a bad teacher? Do you mean it was over your head? It would be hard to make an insructional dvd and appease every skill level.
I agree. Particularly if you're talking about his newest technique DVD, which to me is more like a "diary update" on the changes he's been making to his playing in the last decade. Very useful if you know what he's talking about, as he covers and implies a bunch of stuff that's quite insightful.

Example: The section where he talks about double stroke rolls in the right hand. He says, basically, that he shifted to using a rotational movement for doubles after being given an exercise by Freddie Gruber. He doesn't say what that exercise was for, but the implication is that it's a way of switching between german and french grips without sending the stick off on a funny angle. That's useful for a start, I'm working on that now. Then you see how he found the "power" that movement gives on the outward turn and applied that to getting cleaner double strokes. That's also useful, because it gives you an insight into how Weckl approaches analysis of every movement he makes with an eye to learning new, useful techniques.

But I guess if you're just looking for an explaination of how to play the drums from a basic level you'd probably be better off with Tommy Igoe or something of the like. Weckl isn't working on that stuff, so he's not covering that stuff.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 AM
Pioneer Member

I am a huge Weckl fan. I just feel his technicality/perfectivness at almost anything drum oriented, scares drummers. I mean if you listen to someone like Tommy Lee and think his drumming is so cool...(haha, i don't like him) then you probably won't find Weckl's drummin so fun. It's not the style where you can listen to it once just to get everything out of it. His musical sence is amazing, and if you say otherwise, pick up mu.tiplicity, or live and very plugged in. The hesitation/sax and drum intro on the first cd of live and very plugged in you can just get a tiny taste of his excellence. To me he is like the Bach of drumming. His whole fusion style is like a very modern classical music approach.
So i geuss what I am trying to say is...please don't bash weckl...
peace
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Well I have all 10 of his CD's and four of his 8 DVD's/Video's to say the least I am a big fan. I think the most ridiculous statement anyone says is that he or any drummer IS TOO TECHNICAL? Well isn't drumming all about technique and perfecting it??? If not then why play...

I understand not everyone is into his style of drumming or music but to say he is not creative is crazy. His songs on his CD's are all about being creative really listen to them, alot of stuff his band does they come up with through jam sessions, that's what creativity is all about. But I guess it depends on what each of you define as being creative?

Dave Weckl is without a doubt in my mind one of the top drummers of all time, but he is also a very good at wanting others to get better. Remember when setting out to buy a drum video read it first and make sure it is what you want to learn, and first of all making sure it is something you can learn. Like Marco Minneman I would love to see that video, but to buy it to try to learn his drumming would be a waste of money for me because I'm not that advanced yet. Weckl has videos for beginners and advanced; make sure you are purchasing the correct one for you.

In closing Weckl is amazing and his latest CD Multiplicity demonstrates he is nothing short of that.

PS

I also think it is easy for any one of you to sit here and bash him when in all honesty, you'd pay to play half as good as him. I think some drummers don't deserve all the hype they get, but Weckl definitely does.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I think the most ridiculous statement anyone says is that he or any drummer IS TOO TECHNICAL? Well isn't drumming all about technique and perfecting it??? If not then why play...
I disagree, there is a thing as playing and thinking to technicle. To me technique is developed in order to make it easier to play more musically, if that makes sence. Im not saying you cant ever think about things from a technicle aspect because sometimes that is impossible and in order for one to play musically they must have a solid foundation with technique. What i tend to see is when any musican (not just drummers) start thinking and playing to techniclally what comes out is often very stiff. Now I respect Dave Wekl simply because all of the things he has acheived but when it comes down to it I personally would rather listen to someone like Jack Dejohnette or Jeff Ballard or Brian Blade instead of Dave Wekl, just because of their approach which is more about the music than the technicle aspect. This is just my opinion and im just throwing out there.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:11 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsjr44
I think the most ridiculous statement anyone says is that he or any drummer IS TOO TECHNICAL? Well isn't drumming all about technique and perfecting it??? If not then why play...
Err... music? You must really hate music if the only reason for you to play the drums is to work on technique and mechanics. It's sort of like saying "Yeah, I totally want to learn to drive - then I can spend my days sitting in my garage tuning the engine of my souped-up car". Personally, I wanted to drive so I could take my drums to gigs without having to bum a lift. Likewise, I work on my technique because I want to be able to play music without screwing up.

The statement above really threw me for six. I can't honestly comprehend how a musician could think like that, unless they really have no love of music whatsoever.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Pioneer Member

I've always thought of technique as a way of perfecting your musical aproach...I am one who also does not undestand what "too technical" means...How can technique take away from your drumming? It can't! it only enhances your drumming...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
I've always thought of technique as a way of perfecting your musical aproach...I am one who also does not undestand what "too technical" means...How can technique take away from your drumming? It can't! it only enhances your drumming...
Of course it can. It's perfectly possible to spend twelve hours a day working on intricacies of technique and co-ordination while completely missing the point. Go listen to that Meg White video, the "Doorbell" song. The drum part on that song has a really nice tone to it, and it's very well selected. However, it has all manner of things that - technically - we fight against. Things like having the right hand locked to the right foot, for a start.

I've studied a lot of technique and co-ordination. So now, when I sit down I have the choice to play with my right hand locked to the bass drum or to play a consistent ostinato with the hands while playing independent stuff with the feet. However, given an opportunity to choose a groove.. what approach am I most likely to use?

Well, since I've spent years of my life working on the clean, co-ordinated stuff... I'll do that first. So would most studied drummers. But what if that's not the best, most appropriate part? What if the music you're playing calls for a Charlie Watts type approach? Sure, if you've got musical taste and depth then you can realise this and you can execute that part too if you have good technique. But if you spend all your time just working on your technique then how does that musical taste and depth develop in your playing? It certainly doesn't come from working on Stick Control all day...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on Stick Control some more.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
But if you spend all your time just working on your technique then how does that musical taste and depth develop in your playing? It certainly doesn't come from working on Stick Control all day...
I've always sceen technique as the way to develope good musical taste and depth and of course ideas...And of course to listen and study music...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:18 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
I've always sceen technique as the way to develope good musical taste and depth and of course ideas...And of course to listen and study music...
I'd suggest the latter is a lot more useful than the former.

How do you get from "RRLLRRLR LLRRLLRL" to Elvin Jones playing on "Alabama" by John Coltrane?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:17 AM
jamndrummer

Quote:
Re: Dave Weckl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Of course it can. It's perfectly possible to spend twelve hours a day working on intricacies of technique and co-ordination while completely missing the point. Go listen to that Meg White video, the "Doorbell" song. The drum part on that song has a really nice tone to it, and it's very well selected. However, it has all manner of things that - technically - we fight against. Things like having the right hand locked to the right foot, for a start.

I've studied a lot of technique and co-ordination. So now, when I sit down I have the choice to play with my right hand locked to the bass drum or to play a consistent ostinato with the hands while playing independent stuff with the feet. However, given an opportunity to choose a groove.. what approach am I most likely to use?

Well, since I've spent years of my life working on the clean, co-ordinated stuff... I'll do that first. So would most studied drummers. But what if that's not the best, most appropriate part? What if the music you're playing calls for a Charlie Watts type approach? Sure, if you've got musical taste and depth then you can realise this and you can execute that part too if you have good technique. But if you spend all your time just working on your technique then how does that musical taste and depth develop in your playing? It certainly doesn't come from working on Stick Control all day...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on Stick Control some more.
I agree with most of this....best bet is to play all styles of music and be proficient in all of them. just play your heart out and play for the song. Do whats best for that song.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 AM
ZeppelinJB

Dave Weckl is amazing. He wasnt exactly an influence, but he certainly sets a goal for success.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Err... music? You must really hate music if the only reason for you to play the drums is to work on technique and mechanics. It's sort of like saying "Yeah, I totally want to learn to drive - then I can spend my days sitting in my garage tuning the engine of my souped-up car". Personally, I wanted to drive so I could take my drums to gigs without having to bum a lift. Likewise, I work on my technique because I want to be able to play music without screwing up.

The statement above really threw me for six. I can't honestly comprehend how a musician could think like that, unless they really have no love of music whatsoever.

obviously you misunderstood my statement..."You must really hate music" is now the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

You just don't get it and sadly you probably never will. But I will try to explain again, on this fourm all I hear about is people wanting to get better with their feet, hands, fingers etc which all involves what? Developing your technique... We all play for the music part of it obviously BUT you can't play well if you don't have certain technical aspects of drumming down. Correct? None of us has ever just sat down on a kit and had good technique from the begining, we all got there through developing our technique. Weckl just happens to have god given technique but also incredible practice habits.

So in my opinion saying someone is TOO TECHNICAL is a ridiculous statement or more so an envious or jealous statement, let's be honest. I'm not saying Weckl's style appeals to everyone, I believe I said that earlier, but to say he or any drummer on his level is too technical will never be understood by me. Remember it is very possible to be very technical and musical at the same time it is called being a: PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Where to start with Weckl...

Well, without a doubt, Weckl was probably my biggest inspiration on the set when I was first starting out. My band director gave me "Hard Wired" when I was about 10 and it blew my mind. I'd never really spent much time listening to the legends of drumming at that point, all I'd really heard from drums and drumming was the music on the radio. What a complete shock!! Once I got past the intense synth sound, what I heard was incredible. The band was incredibly tight, superbly musical, and the epitome of what I considered "musicianship" at the time. Granted I was really young and hadn't experienced much of the "great" music I have now. Weckl's playing opened me up to a whole new WORLD of drumming. I bought "Master Plan" and heard Steve Gadd for the first time..then it just went from there.

As for his playing itself...I can see his earlier playing might have left a lot of people cold. He played everything with incredibly clean and powerful precision on a set that sounded like drums SHOULD sound, obviously in my opinion. To hear someone with that kind of monster like control and technique is a lot different experience that hearing someone from a classic rock band or pop band and I think it takes a while for it to set in. That's just how someone that practiced for 10 hours a day with drums that are completely studio eq'd to sonic perfection sounds!

What I don't understand...is how people can STILL call him a robot. After his time with Gruber, Dave came out with a completely new sense of groove and pocket. If you listen to his last few cds, they sound like a different drummer. He's playing loose, he grooves, and when he lets those chops fly, they sound better than ever. I remember buying Dave Gruisin's version of the West Side Story Suite and being completely floored that it was Weckl playing with such a hard swing and such finesse.

Not a week goes by where I don't look to Weckl for inspiration. He's a continous inspiration to the drumming community with not only his playing, but he sense of grace and professionalism. Thanks Dave, for keeping us all inspired to practice and be better musicians!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Thinshells

Dave is great. Except I hate his signiture sticks. They seem to be identical to the Gadd sticks, except they are brown, not black. Thin sticks with a tiny bead of a head. Yeck.

Oh yeah...his work: Dave has INCREDIBLE chops, Master plan and his other material is just amazing to listen to.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:09 PM

His old signature sticks? They're nothing like that Gadds..the tip shape is similiar, but the feel is COMPLETELY different. The Weckls are a lot meatier. I used to use them exclusively. The Gadds feel like a lighter/smaller stick.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
His old signature sticks? They're nothing like that Gadds..the tip shape is similiar, but the feel is COMPLETELY different. The Weckls are a lot meatier. I used to use them exclusively. The Gadds feel like a lighter/smaller stick.

I have both, need I post a photo? they look and weigh identically...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Dave is great. Except I hate his signiture sticks. They seem to be identical to the Gadd sticks, except they are brown, not black. Thin sticks with a tiny bead of a head. Yeck.

Oh yeah...his work: Dave has INCREDIBLE chops, Master plan and his other material is just amazing to listen to.

And actually his new evolution stick is very meaty and weighted at the front end...

NouveauCliche, great post earlier. I too am a huge Weckl fan I don't know if you read my earlier post but I have all 10 of his CD's and 4 of his 8 videos/dvd's. His work with Gruber clearly demonstrates he understood his playing though was incredible could be much looser and efficient. And he set out to do that just like Peart did studying with Gruber to totally re-learn how to play better. I don't think people realize the dedication it takes to re-learn technique especially when your at the level Weckl was already at before he studied with Gruber. Most of us me included would probably be to stubborn to take on a challenge like that.

If you don't have Multiplicity I suggest getting it I got it the first day it came out and haven't stopped listening to it yet.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM

Thinshells:

Weckl (original)- L = 16 1/4", Dia. = .560"

Gadd- L = 15 3/4", Dia. = .550"

That's the nearly the same difference in feel between somethingl ike a 5A and a 7A.

Jamsjr44:

Yea...he's great. I'd be lying if I said I'm still the absolute fanatic I used to be. There's just SO many great drummers doing grea things, but I have his new albums and they're great!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
Thinshells:

Weckl (original)- L = 16 1/4", Dia. = .560"

Gadd- L = 15 3/4", Dia. = .550"

That's the nearly the same difference in feel between somethingl ike a 5A and a 7A.

Jamsjr44:

Yea...he's great. I'd be lying if I said I'm still the absolute fanatic I used to be. There's just SO many great drummers doing grea things, but I have his new albums and they're great!

I hear ya I'm still a big fan of his and listen to him alot, but I also listen to more Danny Carey, Morgan Rose and others.. Like you said SO many great drummers now.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 AM

AGH... a couple years ago Dave came to my hometown and was doing a clinic! I MISSED IT. i was so ignorant and stupid then. bleh, if only id discovered drummerworld at a ripe age....sigh ..
Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 AM

People like Dave weckl and Tommy Igoe are the ones who carry the art forward with the perfect nature of their execution and formal/official knowledge and dedication. These are amongst the people who teaches in Music Universities, give seminars, workshops and practically defines the art for the others to understand.

So, PLEASE, do yourself a favour and
Don't criticize but try to learn from them.

and to the members who feel his music is cluttered and boring and doesn't have soul/musicality/interesting ups and downs .... well .... to them i must say: Boredom with academics, music, paintings comes when you fail to understand.

Last edited by geek_boy_in; 10-18-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:01 PM

My perspective, if you bash Dave Weckl, you don't know what's going on! We are not talking personalities here. We are talking approach and musical ability! Dave is one of the most musical drummers we have today! He not only uses the physics of the approach but has so much phrasing and accents put into areas not one of us would even think it belongs. His highly advanced technical skills allows him to do things and then return back to the groove before most would think they could have even been placed there!
It seems to me some of use need to think more out of the box and understand the different approaches of all mainstream drummers have. Utilize these different approaches to make us better.
Dave is not only accurate but his timing is impeccable! Whether you like his music or not, just look at this guys approach. His approach provides him seemless stamina. I for one would love to be able to apply the energy he delivers to every stroke and do it for hours on end! This is where the physics comes in!
Some have stated he is boring, my interpretation of that is, he makes it look so easy, and he does not seem to work that hard! Well understand what he is doing, and you will appreciate it more!
You have to give credit where it is due! My perspective is you have to look at this instrument with an open mind, if you don't your abilities will become stiffled and the door will shut!
Some have said well if you write your own music then you can put in there anything you want. Well hate to tell you friend, Dave has done a heck of a lot more than do just the stuff you are referring to! Anyone hear him play with the Grusin big band? Ever hear him play with Michael Brecker, how about the Simmon and Garfunkel reunion tour, how about some Robert Plant stuff, George Benson, Diana Ross, and Chick Corea etc! Based on this list I don't see how anyone can say he is limited to his own stuff!
I guess some will never be that impressed unless he can do double bass riffs at 2million beats per minute! To me that is a totally myopic view of this instrument it's not even worth discussing anymore!