DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default A Home Recording Story

Last December I bought a Samson usb port microphone so that I could record band practices for the purpose of aiding us in perfecting our songs. It cost about $100 dollars. To simplify the use of this mic I downloaded a program called Quick Time Pro. This program allowed me to make simple one click recordings right onto my Mac's Desktop. I don't even have to set volume level. At our next band practice I made some recordings and through trial and error I found that when I placed the mic in a lonely corner of the room the recordings sounded balanced and clear. Every week I recorded our practices and I would later convert the recordings to MP3 format and email them to the other band members so they could work on the songs during the week. One day I decided to email some of the better songs to our bands booking agent so he could hear what we were working on and stay current with us. A few days later the agent emailed Me back and he said that the band was sounding good. He wanted to know what recording studio we had used. I answered him and I told him how the recordings were made. His response was "come on, stop kidding around; Tell me so I can recommend the studio to other bands in your area." I think that this is an excellent example of the technology that exist today. You don't have to spend a lot, to get a lot.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Home Recording Story

That sounds like a pretty cool story, but I'm finding it hard to believe myself. Can you post a small clip so we can hear?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

I found one of the earlier songs that I still had in itunes It wasn't one of the best ones that I sent to the agent. The levels are slightly off. I deleted the ones that I sent a while back. I don't save them because I make new ones from time to time. Keep in mind that these were meant for demo purposes. This one is in the lowest Mp3 quality level so I could mail it as a small file. The files that I sent the agent were at a higher quality MP3 level. They were twice the MB size. I think that this one is good enough to get the idea.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Thril Is Gone mp3.mp3 (2.12 MB, 129 views)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think I could be fooled into thinking that's a studio, but it's a damn good recording for a $100 mic! Samson USB mic, is that what it's called? I'm going to check this thing out.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
I don't think I could be fooled into thinking that's a studio, but it's a damn good recording for a $100 mic! Samson USB mic, is that what it's called? I'm going to check this thing out.
Thank You; Don't forget; He was expecting a low cost demo from a second rate studio. You know, Three hours, Five quick songs, A few hundred bucks. He is only a guy that books bands for gigs in clubs. I wasn't talking pro-level here. He isn't a high level talent agent. Anyway, it didn't cost a lot and we got gigs from it.