DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Default evans g-plus?

well i was floating around interestate music, and i saw a little add for the "Evans G-plus" drumhead.

Has anyone used them? or atleast tried them? are they new? iv never even heard of them before now.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...m=evans+g-plus
Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: evans g-plus?

Haven't heard of them (until now) - looks like a winner...something I'd be interested in myself. G2s are too thick and G1s don't last long (as batters). I like the "frosted" coating too.

Seems innovative yet obvious, though I'm sure other manufacturers make thick, 1-ply heads that are similar. Nice move, Evans!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

I'm currently using the Evans EC1s, which are a thicker 1-ply head, too. (They're actually 14mil.) I like them a lot.

However, be advised that the G-plus will have more sustain than the G1s and quite a bit more than G2s. I happen to like that but not all drummers do. (The EC1s sustain like crazy, so they're not for everyone.)

Also, and this is sheer opinion now, I've never liked the sound of Evans' "frosted" heads. Give me clears or a real coating. YMMV.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm about to drop the hammer on a set of these heads. I checked MF about a month ago and the 16s weren't in stock. The have em now. Probably going with clears over clear G1s.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
I'm currently using the Evans EC1s, which are a thicker 1-ply head, too. (They're actually 14mil.) I like them a lot.

However, be advised that the G-plus will have more sustain than the G1s and quite a bit more than G2s. I happen to like that but not all drummers do. (The EC1s sustain like crazy, so they're not for everyone.)

Also, and this is sheer opinion now, I've never liked the sound of Evans' "frosted" heads. Give me clears or a real coating. YMMV.
I am using the Gplus heads on my toms.. and they do not sustain more than the G1's
How can you make a statement like that unless you have experience using them?!?!?
No offense..Just wondering what you are basing your theroy on. The fact that Evans makes these heads using a thicker mylar than your garden variety G1's means nil. They are great sounding heads (G1) just lack durability that the Gplus offers!
Get the Gplus if you like a more resonant sound as opposed to a 2ply or single ply with a built in resonace dam. Gplus are darn fine sounding heads! Peace!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

I'm currently experimetnting the G Plus Clear heads on my 14" and 16" floor toms. To me, they have great sustain but lack "depth" of a G2 or Emperor head (which are on my other two toms). And the attack sounds too "plasticy" for my tastes.

All in all, a durable and OK sounding head... just not for my tastes.

Up next I might try Remo Black Suedes or go back to Evans G2s.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

I'll have to pick one of these up for my floor tom to see how they compare to a coated G2, which is the best sounding batter head in the Evans line-up, IMO. Coated G2 over clear G1 is just a great tom sound...all around.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I'll have to pick one of these up for my floor tom to see how they compare to a coated G2, which is the best sounding batter head in the Evans line-up, IMO. Coated G2 over clear G1 is just a great tom sound...all around.
Hey my friend,

That's really a great combo. Great sound and durability. My favorite so far. Being a gear junkie I'm always looking for something different. It's fun and educational to experiment. The down side is that it's costly.

That said, if I don't spend it my wife will.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
I am using the Gplus heads on my toms.. and they do not sustain more than the G1's
How can you make a statement like that unless you have experience using them?!?!?
No offense..Just wondering what you are basing your theroy on. The fact that Evans makes these heads using a thicker mylar than your garden variety G1's means nil. They are great sounding heads (G1) just lack durability that the Gplus offers!
Get the Gplus if you like a more resonant sound as opposed to a 2ply or single ply with a built in resonace dam. Gplus are darn fine sounding heads! Peace!
I'm basing my "theory" on over forty years of experience with drums and drumheads, and a little physics.

In every case I've ever seen, thicker heads (assuming the same number of plies) have sustained more than thinner heads, most likely due to simple physics: more mass will tend to keep vibrating longer, less mass will tend to stop sooner.

The obvious example is the choice between 10mil resos and 7.5mil resos. It is universally observed that the thicker resos have more sustain.

I can't explain your results, but thanks for letting us know about them.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
That said, if I don't spend it my wife will.
I'm with ya Freddy...I've learned much from you, buddy! ;)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Haven't heard of them (until now) - looks like a winner...something I'd be interested in myself. G2s are too thick and G1s don't last long (as batters). I like the "frosted" coating too.

Seems innovative yet obvious, though I'm sure other manufacturers make thick, 1-ply heads that are similar. Nice move, Evans!
I will have to check these out (G Plus)

Zambizzi // check out the EC2 clears ... to me they fell like a happy medium between the G2 & G1.. definitely more attack than G2, you might like them.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
I will have to check these out (G Plus)

Zambizzi // check out the EC2 clears ... to me they fell like a happy medium between the G2 & G1.. definitely more attack than G2, you might like them.
Ha! Funny you should mention them - I had them and absolutely hated them. Not only were they a nightmare to tune, they were just too damn thick and heavy.

I tried the EC1s too, at a local shop...and wasn't any crazier about them.

Right now I'm running Coated Ambassadors over clears on my Luds...and am pretty happy. But when my new kit arrives I'll use my Coated G2s and G1s I have sitting around.