DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Hi-hat stand issues

Well I am now writing from a very distressed point of view as i have an audition in 3 days and my hi-hat stand has pooped out on me. Let me give you the details...

As I was practicing today, i noticed a strange scraping noise from my hats, but since i couldn't find the source, i kept on the practicing. Suddenly the clutch and the screw that raises/lowers the actual stand slipped and my hats went crashing into my snare and then below to the lowest height setting. Now my stand is a tama (model below the iron cobra?) and I need help to figure out whether i can fix it or i need a new stand.

If anybody has any ideas, let me know a.s.a.p, cause im running out of time to prepare and im now hi-hat-less (and for jazz/ latin, thats a big problem)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Hi-hat stand issues

So what happened - can you attched some photo's as doesnt seem to make much sense. Did the mechanism that holds the upper tube break/fall-apart?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Probably the rod came unscrewed and slipped inside the stand. It happened to me once too. If you spin your hi hats it unscrewed the rod sometimes. Just take the upper tube off, screw the rod back into place and put the upper rod back on
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the top tube fell down into the lower tube. Pictures would sure help. A lot of hi-hats come with a memory lock on the upper tube. So even if you completely loosen the wing nut on the lower tube mouth, nothing goes "crashing" down. Quick fix. If you don't have a memory lock for the upper tube, use a automotive hose clamp. Not such a big deal if the tube rotates, but a bad scene if it collapses.