DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Josh Freese Drum Setup?

I'm really big on Josh Freese, I love a lot of the music he's played on and I think he's a super cool guy especially with his marketing music technique.

I saw a pic on the internet of him playing live with The Vandals (see below) and was really confused at his drum setup. It seems he's using a lefty double pedal with the bass drum in place of where the slave pedal would be on a righty setup.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this could be useful or perhaps why the man himself does this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1-12-18_06.JPG
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2014, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Josh Freese Drum Setup?

its usually just so you can position your toms exactly where you'd like them with larger bass drums. abe laboriel jr. does the same thing last i saw
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

He looks like a dirty politician in that picture. I realize that dirty-politician is redundant, but I'm painting a picture here.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

I always thought one could get the bass drum, which takes up your floor space right in front, over and out of the way by using a slave pedal. I often thought to try this...but don't own a slave pedal.

Watso there are 'clean politicians', usually the 1st 4 years of office.... then things get dirty. Especially mayors...
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM

I would think the tom positioning is the main reason people would use that setup.

Ive heard one or two double bass players say they tried it out to train themselves to lead with the left a bit more since the slave pedal always has a more disconnected feel.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

The reason for this set up was that he'd broken his foot and was playing the bass drum with his left leg. Hence why you also see two hi hats in the pic. One is closed tight, the other much looser.

Naigewron did some clever detective work and posted all the details up here previously, but that post (and a hell of a lot of others) appears to have been lost when the site crashed and was rebooted.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
The reason for this set up was that he'd broken his foot and was playing the bass drum with his left leg. Hence why you also see two hi hats in the pic. One is closed tight, the other much looser.

Naigewron did some clever detective work and posted all the details up here previously, but that post (and a hell of a lot of others) appears to have been lost when the site crashed and was rebooted.
I know that in 2004, while on tour with A Perfect Circle, Josh fractured his right kneecap, and had to play bass drum with his left foot. There are pics from this time where he has his right leg extended out in front of him and playing the bass drum on his left, with his left foot.

In that Vandals pic, he has his right leg on a pedal. Odd if it's broken.

Edit: the Vandals pic is from 2011. The fracture incident happened in 2004.

Last edited by Canyonero; 11-25-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
I know that in 2004, while on tour with A Perfect Circle, Josh fractured his right kneecap, and had to play bass drum with his left foot. There are pics from this time where he has his right leg extended out in front of him and playing the bass drum on his left, with his left foot.

In that Vandals pic, he has his right leg on a pedal. Odd if it's broken.

Edit: the Vandals pic is from 2011. The fracture incident happened in 2004.
He either broke, sprained or otherwise damaged it again.

As stated, Naigewron did all the sleuthing prior to the site crash. From memory he may even have provided links as supporting evidence.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
He either broke, sprained or otherwise damaged it again.

As stated, Naigewron did all the sleuthing prior to the site crash. From memory he may even have provided links as supporting evidence.
PFOG is right, it's because he busted his leg. Again. As I stated in that lost forum post, Josh needs to start being more careful.

The proof is in this tweet: https://twitter.com/joshfreese/statu...24695164850176

And this article: http://www.ocregister.com/soundcheck...oundcheck.html

Quote: "Drummer Josh Freese also gets points for drumming with a broken foot; instead he used his left foot on the bass drum to propel the group through its rapid-fire songs."