DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

Default Dude! Totally WICKED Double Bass drum set! It's red and black...

So, remember my last thread? When I got that PDP 805? It's been a couple months, and I have some new pictures.

I found these drums on Craigslist that I went to pick up, but the thing is, they were total crap. Except the people selling them recommended a local music store where everything is used. Used=dirt cheap.

I really hated how my only rack tom didn't mount on my bass drum, and it just hung off a cymbal stand clamp. So I mixed and matched some used drums from this music store, and found an AMAZING drum. An Pearl Export 22" bass drum with a STUNNING red to black fade finish. It even had an Aquarian Super Kick II on it! Perfect!

So now I needed two rack toms to mount on it. We looked in this giant room of drums (I wish I took more pictures, as there we MUCH MORE. The person who worked there found two black Export rack toms with a clamp, sizes 12 and 13." Excellent!

We bought new heads for the toms, because one of the heads was BEATEN UP. And I took the stock head off of my current rack tom and replaced it with the Evans one on one of my new ones.

Pictures!

My first kit (totally beginner):

How it used to be (my first real kit):

The crappy brandless Craigslist drums:

The store I went to:

The drums I found:

The beaten-up Evans (really old) drum head:

Before I put the other bass drum on (my old PDP 805 one):

And how it looks now....drum roll please....

Specs!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dude! Totally WICKED Double Bass drum set! It's red and black...

You sure have a small menagerie of drums now, and not to be a killjoy, but is it really about having a forest of drums around you? I'm not going to knock on you for what you want to do. It sounds like you have a lot of fun playing the big set and that's the only thing that matters. I do remember when there was a time when all I wanted was more and more drum gear before I realized that there are more important things to drumming. Either way, enjoy your drums.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

This will all change very soon. Are you using single pedal on each drum?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
You sure have a small menagerie of drums now, and not to be a killjoy, but is it really about having a forest of drums around you? I'm not going to knock on you for what you want to do. It sounds like you have a lot of fun playing the big set and that's the only thing that matters. I do remember when there was a time when all I wanted was more and more drum gear before I realized that there are more important things to drumming. Either way, enjoy your drums.

You are being a killjoy. I've been playing for 7 years on a tiny little Tama Stagestar and Yamaha DD-55, and I deserve this. Sure, the drums aren't professional, but for a 14 year old, it's not bad. I love it. Look at the finish on the Pearl bass drum!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
This will all change very soon. Are you using single pedal on each drum?
It would change very soon, if I had the money to upgrade. However, I don't. And I can't even afford another pedal. Only the Pearl bass drum has a pedal, not the PDP.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
You are being a killjoy. I've been playing for 7 years on a tiny little Tama Stagestar and Yamaha DD-55, and I deserve this. Sure, the drums aren't professional, but for a 14 year old, it's not bad. I love it. Look at the finish on the Pearl bass drum!
Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as trying to be sincerely mean. Like I said, the most important thing is that you enjoy playing the drums.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as trying to be sincerely mean. Like I said, the most important thing is that you enjoy playing the drums.
It's alright. Do you have any recommendations for some ultra (and I mean ULTRA) cheap upgrades for my set? The first thing to go is my crappy Paiste PST 3 cymbals. They served my well until I got the Pearl Export drums, and now it just sounds like crap.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's alright. Do you have any recommendations for some ultra (and I mean ULTRA) cheap upgrades for my set? The first thing to go is my crappy Paiste PST 3 cymbals. They served my well until I got the Pearl Export drums, and now it just sounds like crap.
The cheapest way to get high-quality gear is to buy used. Both my ride cymbals and my hi-hats (all pro-level and great sounding) were bought used, and each one cost me only about $150. Look on eBay and craiglilst. Always check to make sure there isn't any damage like cracks or keyholing.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

No offense, but what's the purpose of having a bassdrum in your setup and not being able to play it? I am glad you are happy with your set but you might find that not everybody on the forum thinks your set is "totally wicked"... "dude".
Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 AM

no offense but this doesn't make NAY sense... the two bassdrums wouldn't sound same, so no double bassing, and this just looks crappy for me... but really no offense...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I'm with pretty much everyone else in here. I don't really like Frankenstein sets, and Pearl Export is about the worst name brand kit out there...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, I would set the original PDP back up by itself. It would look a lot better, and probably play a lot better in the end.

Also, you said that you hate that the rack tom on the PDP isn't mounted on the bass drum...but that's the best thing you can have. It's called a virgin bass drum, and people pay a lot of extra money to get that.

For the cash you spent on the Exports and stuff, you could have gotten some decent upgrades for your kit.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Yeah, I'm with pretty much everyone else in here. I don't really like Frankenstein sets, and Pearl Export is about the worst name brand kit out there...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, I would set the original PDP back up by itself. It would look a lot better, and probably play a lot better in the end.

Also, you said that you hate that the rack tom on the PDP isn't mounted on the bass drum...but that's the best thing you can have. It's called a virgin bass drum, and people pay a lot of extra money to get that.

For the cash you spent on the Exports and stuff, you could have gotten some decent upgrades for your kit.
Oh, sorry! I forgot to post the price of the Exports! $200! Used! And they don't even look used!

Anyways, I know it's nice to have the virgin bass drum, however, it's too big for me. I'm so short that I can't play the tom on top of it. Plus, all the fills I've ever learned have been on two rack toms.

I know, it's not the best setup, but it totally works for me. Plus, I changed it a little bit. Pics soon!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayotsma View Post
no offense but this doesn't make NAY sense... the two bassdrums wouldn't sound same, so no double bassing, and this just looks crappy for me... but really no offense...
1. The pictures were crappy. I just didn't feel like taking my nice camera out.

2. It's not the best, but for $200, it was a STEAL.

3. I took the PDP bass drum off, because it's easier to play like that.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
The cheapest way to get high-quality gear is to buy used. Both my ride cymbals and my hi-hats (all pro-level and great sounding) were bought used, and each one cost me only about $150. Look on eBay and craiglilst. Always check to make sure there isn't any damage like cracks or keyholing.
Yeah, I check Craigslist every day. The Pearl Export drums I got were used, they just don't look like it (partly because I bought new heads).
Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
No offense, but what's the purpose of having a bassdrum in your setup and not being able to play it? I am glad you are happy with your set but you might find that not everybody on the forum thinks your set is "totally wicked"... "dude".
Except I'm not one of those "adults" who makes "money." I buy stuff out of $5.50 a week in allowance.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

You certainly are a character. You've been playing for 7 years?

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 AM

Well the set does look goofy...and surely having a bass drum u cant play in the setup is foolish...plus the drums cant be tuned the same so double bass isnt an option...to look a little more professional and maybe avoid some sarcastic and rude comments from other onlooking drummers try and setting up one bass drum and ditch the smallest tom...then ud have a better looking setup and a more logical setup...but in the end if ur having fun and u like it than thats what matters....and what i mean by avoiding those comments is that some drummers (not the ones on here) are real jerks...ive had drummers who were just terrible tell me that my kit sucked and that i sucked...i didnt care cuz i knew i was better than them but it sure is annoying and sometimes i get really aggravated and just wanna knock em out...but i just let them embarass themselves by talking crap when they themselves are terrible drummers...thats just my two cents if u care to take it into consideration
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 AM

All that matters man is if you like it and you can play on it.

Its not really my cup of tea but hell Im a picky person.

Dont give up on the craigslist thing for cymbals or drums.

Ive bought vintage new beats, a vintage 22" A medium ride, and a fairly new 16" thin crash all for around $330.

not to mention my ludwig set for $400.

you could probably even find another pedal for cheap.

You just have to wait, thats the key.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 AM

oh and by the way i had a question.

is that a marching snare drum in the second to last picture?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

Oh yeah, it is. I got it from a person on Craigslist for $20. It's a Yamaha sFz, which retails for $400. I would sell it, but the seller's market isn't very good now.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean, i was the exact same, the more drums i had around me, the happier i was haha. In all fairness, its experimenting that helps you find your ideal setup. And we all know that we have to drum for fun.

Quote:
Oh, sorry! I forgot to post the price of the Exports! $200! Used! And they don't even look used!

Anyways, I know it's nice to have the virgin bass drum, however, it's too big for me. I'm so short that I can't play the tom on top of it. Plus, all the fills I've ever learned have been on two rack toms.

I know, it's not the best setup, but it totally works for me. Plus, I changed it a little bit. Pics soon!
I wouldnt have a double bass setup because personally i dont do enough double bass to justify having one, and the double bass i do do, i can get away with using a double bass pedal. Like i said, its all about what is comfortable for you, and what youre happy with. As to the situation with your fills on the rack toms, just keep the same sticking and move it around the kit, and have ago at learning to play fills and things on different sized kits. more toms wont neccessarily mean you can do more fills, but like i said, as long as youre happy with it and you are having fun then thats great!

My Band
Old 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerdrums109 View Post
Well the set does look goofy...and surely having a bass drum u cant play in the setup is foolish...plus the drums cant be tuned the same so double bass isnt an option...to look a little more professional and maybe avoid some sarcastic and rude comments from other onlooking drummers try and setting up one bass drum and ditch the smallest tom...then ud have a better looking setup and a more logical setup...but in the end if ur having fun and u like it than thats what matters....and what i mean by avoiding those comments is that some drummers (not the ones on here) are real jerks...ive had drummers who were just terrible tell me that my kit sucked and that i sucked...i didnt care cuz i knew i was better than them but it sure is annoying and sometimes i get really aggravated and just wanna knock em out...but i just let them embarass themselves by talking crap when they themselves are terrible drummers...thats just my two cents if u care to take it into consideration
Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words. I've made several modifications to the kit...here's a new picture:

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Woah...you are using a Pearl Export bass drum instead of your PDP 805? What?!?!?!?! Pearl Export is about the lowest of the low. If it's all you can use, use it, and use it well (as I said, I started my professional recording career on an Export kit...it just took a LOT of work to make sound good). But dude, leaving that PDP to the side while using a crappy bass drum makes little sense. I know you want the toms mounted over it, but if there's any way to figure out how to use your good bass drum instead of your crappy one, I'd do it. It's like you upgraded your kit, and now have downgraded to the point where it's almost just another beginner kit, no different in quality from your original Tama.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
i hate to be that jerk that plays devils advocate and finds inconsistencies (sp...? lol) in what you say.....but 7 years and you onlyknow how to play fills on 2 toms?

as for your drumset. Im 15, and i have quite a bundle of random frankenstein drums laying around, and i have to admit...every once in a blue moon i set them all up for the heck of it. So atleast you know your not alone. However, i must say that you should justplay the pdp alone. It will make for neater and more accurate playing, then just having drums everywhere.

And, it will look sharper.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

I remember posting on your original 805 thread back when you were dying to add more cymbals and my advice was " My advice is to slow down. I know it's hard to resist the urge to get more gear asap and add on. You have good drums that can last you a very long time. "

Well, my man, SLOW DOWN!! I even typed it in black and red just for you. I know how difficult drum money is to come by, so I respect the fact that you're saving for gear. But you seem to be chasing the dragon, here. You may end up spending $1000 over the next "X" amount of months piecemealing a kit together without ever improving your gear. Now just think if you waited and had a lump sum of $1000 bucks to go wild! Improvements galore!

So far the scorecard on my judge's table is this:

Huge kit: check
Good kit: half check (the 805 half)
Professional looking kit: NO check
Fun kit: check
Your kit: check
Other forum members kit: NO check

This is your gear and your gear alone. So if your good with it, then great.

Bottom line: I feel you could spend your money a bit more prudently. I even remember you mentioning (on your original thread) selling your 805 kick drum. If you do that you should sell all the 805 pieces to get as much $ as possible. Just know that you will have sold the best part of all your gear and have to start over:-(

Evidently you bought the 805 in haste because you regret the sizes of the gear. Learn from that impulse and consider your next purchases carefully.

My last suggestion is to ask the forum BEFORE you buy gear rather than solicit approval after and subject yourself to a barrage of criticism (constructive as it is). Good luck and keep us posted.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

There's nothing wrong with being 14 and wanting a lot of drums. There's nothing wrong with owning 2 drum kits. There's nothing wrong with owning 2 different sized kick drums. (Dave Weckl and Will Calhoun make it work). The title of this thread "Dude! Totally WICKED Double Bass drum set! It's red and black..." Probably don't want to do that again. You've got 60 years (ballpark figure) to sort everything else out.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 AM

I'm sorry, but I really am surprised that so many people are being critical of a 14 year old, saving up allowance money and buying drums. I agree that, now that I'm older, it's better to save and wait. But I remember being that age, and I had an old Tama Imperialstar with 7 concert toms, a kick, and snare, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Obviously, I could (and have) done better, as far as getting professional looking and sounding gear since then. But at the same time, I wouldn't appreciate what I have now if I hadn't started from those humble beginnings.

You should definitely be able to pick up a second kick pedal for $20-30 in the right swap shop. And anyone who says that you can't play double bass on 2 different size kicks is just wrong. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but some of the biggest drummers use different size kicks on purpose, for the different sounds they allow. I remember a video in which someone (can't remember who at the moment) preferred having a 24" kick for his right, leading foot, and a 22" for his left foot, because he liked the bigger sound on the downbeats most often played by his right foot.

I'm not really a fan of mismatched drums, but I am a strong believer in the idea that you should explore and try things so that you can better know what you like, and what works for you. You really shouldn't base your gear-buying on what people here say is better, and what they think you will like.

Come on guys, lets give the guy some encouragement!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzdizz View Post
I'm sorry, but I really am surprised that so many people are being critical of a 14 year old, saving up allowance money and buying drums. I agree that, now that I'm older, it's better to save and wait. But I remember being that age, and I had an old Tama Imperialstar with 7 concert toms, a kick, and snare, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Obviously, I could (and have) done better, as far as getting professional looking and sounding gear since then. But at the same time, I wouldn't appreciate what I have now if I hadn't started from those humble beginnings.

You should definitely be able to pick up a second kick pedal for $20-30 in the right swap shop. And anyone who says that you can't play double bass on 2 different size kicks is just wrong. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but some of the biggest drummers use different size kicks on purpose, for the different sounds they allow. I remember a video in which someone (can't remember who at the moment) preferred having a 24" kick for his right, leading foot, and a 22" for his left foot, because he liked the bigger sound on the downbeats most often played by his right foot.

I'm not really a fan of mismatched drums, but I am a strong believer in the idea that you should explore and try things so that you can better know what you like, and what works for you. You really shouldn't base your gear-buying on what people here say is better, and what they think you will like.

Come on guys, lets give the guy some encouragement!
Well, I tried using my friend's kick pedal, for both bass drums, but it didn't work because my legs aren't long enough, so I think I'm gonna save up for a double kick pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
There's nothing wrong with being 14 and wanting a lot of drums. There's nothing wrong with owning 2 drum kits. There's nothing wrong with owning 2 different sized kick drums. (Dave Weckl and Will Calhoun make it work). The title of this thread "Dude! Totally WICKED Double Bass drum set! It's red and black..." Probably don't want to do that again. You've got 60 years (ballpark figure) to sort everything else out.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I can't afford good drums, so a lot of drums *kind of* makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I remember posting on your original 805 thread back when you were dying to add more cymbals and my advice was " My advice is to slow down. I know it's hard to resist the urge to get more gear asap and add on. You have good drums that can last you a very long time. "

Well, my man, SLOW DOWN!! I even typed it in black and red just for you. I know how difficult drum money is to come by, so I respect the fact that you're saving for gear. But you seem to be chasing the dragon, here. You may end up spending $1000 over the next "X" amount of months piecemealing a kit together without ever improving your gear. Now just think if you waited and had a lump sum of $1000 bucks to go wild! Improvements galore!

So far the scorecard on my judge's table is this:

Huge kit: check
Good kit: half check (the 805 half)
Professional looking kit: NO check
Fun kit: check
Your kit: check
Other forum members kit: NO check

This is your gear and your gear alone. So if your good with it, then great.

Bottom line: I feel you could spend your money a bit more prudently. I even remember you mentioning (on your original thread) selling your 805 kick drum. If you do that you should sell all the 805 pieces to get as much $ as possible. Just know that you will have sold the best part of all your gear and have to start over:-(

Evidently you bought the 805 in haste because you regret the sizes of the gear. Learn from that impulse and consider your next purchases carefully.

My last suggestion is to ask the forum BEFORE you buy gear rather than solicit approval after and subject yourself to a barrage of criticism (constructive as it is). Good luck and keep us posted.
Well, since I don't like my PDP 805 bass drum and rack tom, I'm gonna sell those. But I love the floor toms and the snare, so I'll keep that. My now that I have my mounted rack toms, which I can play better, now I can start upgrading. I already got pretty good batter heads, so maybe new resonants would be good. Also, cymbalsonly.com is where I'm going to for my Chanukah list, haha.

And now I know much more about drums (thanks, you guys!) and I won't make the same sizing mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
i hate to be that jerk that plays devils advocate and finds inconsistencies (sp...? lol) in what you say.....but 7 years and you onlyknow how to play fills on 2 toms?

as for your drumset. Im 15, and i have quite a bundle of random frankenstein drums laying around, and i have to admit...every once in a blue moon i set them all up for the heck of it. So atleast you know your not alone. However, i must say that you should justplay the pdp alone. It will make for neater and more accurate playing, then just having drums everywhere.

And, it will look sharper.
I can play fills on 1 rack tom, but I couldn't use my PDP rack tom because the bass drum was so big, I couldn't adjust it to the right height and angle, because I'm short.

And I know it's not good to have Frankenstein sets, but when you're low on money, you get what you can. Once I'm old enough to get a job, maybe that will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Woah...you are using a Pearl Export bass drum instead of your PDP 805? What?!?!?!?! Pearl Export is about the lowest of the low. If it's all you can use, use it, and use it well (as I said, I started my professional recording career on an Export kit...it just took a LOT of work to make sound good). But dude, leaving that PDP to the side while using a crappy bass drum makes little sense. I know you want the toms mounted over it, but if there's any way to figure out how to use your good bass drum instead of your crappy one, I'd do it. It's like you upgraded your kit, and now have downgraded to the point where it's almost just another beginner kit, no different in quality from your original Tama.
Pearl Export isn't the lowest of the low. There are PLENTY of drumsets that are much cheaper and much worse. Such as my old Tama Stagestar. See my PDP 805 could have been a good kit, but because I'm so small, the sizing didn't work out at ALL. This rig is much better, with 2 rack toms and a smaller 22" bass drum, as opposed to 24." And the Pearl Export bass drum sounds great with the Aqaurian head.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM

well i may not agree with your angle on spending, but i must say that its good to see another jewish drummer somewhere in the country. I would say for your perdicament, sell the pdp bass, and order the 805 12" tom and 20" bass. sell the pearl stuff and you have more (and much better) equipment.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

In taking a cue from TizzDizz, I want to pat you on the back for taking all this advice so well. You clearly get excited about drum gear which I like to see, yet you balance that energy with maturity by keeping such a positve outlook in the face of overt criticism. Good for you.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
In taking a cue from TizzDizz, I want to pat you on the back for taking all this advice so well. You clearly get excited about drum gear which I like to see, yet you balance that energy with maturity by keeping such a positve outlook in the face of overt criticism. Good for you.
Thanks. I can deal with online criticism. It's just in real life when I break down crying. Just kidding.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swing_set View Post
well i may not agree with your angle on spending, but i must say that its good to see another jewish drummer somewhere in the country. I would say for your perdicament, sell the pdp bass, and order the 805 12" tom and 20" bass. sell the pearl stuff and you have more (and much better) equipment.
What?! No! The reason I have the pearl is because is was cheap, not because it's good! Do you know how much new PDPs cost? Plus, their fairly rare to find used.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Although I respect your opinion, I think nay on that comment.

I've been playing drums fir 16 years strong, and I have never felt the urge to scale down.

Plus, he's only 14. It's not like he's gunna take a morgage out of the house to buy a dream kit hear.

Alot of people seem to be going a bit tough on him, lighten up. He's only 14, he has a whole life ahead of him.

(sorry if I sound wierd on that last one, my mind really isn't on drums right now, or actually, on anything)
Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Although I respect your opinion, I think nay on that comment.

I've been playing drums fir 16 years strong, and I have never felt the urge to scale down.

Plus, he's only 14. It's not like he's gunna take a morgage out of the house to buy a dream kit hear.

Alot of people seem to be going a bit tough on him, lighten up. He's only 14, he has a whole life ahead of him.

(sorry if I sound wierd on that last one, my mind really isn't on drums right now, or actually, on anything)
Exactly. I had 200. What can you get with 200, besides a little Junior kit? A Pearl Export with BRAND NEW HEADS, that sounds better than a PDP 805. Although a little bit of good tuning wouldn't hurt. I need a drum dial. Too bad I'm $100 in debt to my dad.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:05 AM

Id say that all the constructive info you've received from everyone, put it in your arsenal for further learning, as your style/taste/needs develop, so shall your drum kit. Have fun explore and have a good time playing, because thats what its all really about. You have a life time to noodle what kind of __________ you use on your ________ ...8). Get advice about your big purchases (and small ones if you like), and knowledge is power. Listen to your drums and take from them what they offer, they will help develop what you will like and dislike about them as well (not just how they look)..
Enjoy the gift of music and learn from all the good stuff people have written to pursue the next generation (and there will be) of your kit...8)..
my three cents..
Old 08-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elipticz View Post
Id say that all the constructive info you've received from everyone, put it in your arsenal for further learning, as your style/taste/needs develop, so shall your drum kit. Have fun explore and have a good time playing, because thats what its all really about. You have a life time to noodle what kind of __________ you use on your ________ ...8). Get advice about your big purchases (and small ones if you like), and knowledge is power. Listen to your drums and take from them what they offer, they will help develop what you will like and dislike about them as well (not just how they look)..
Enjoy the gift of music and learn from all the good stuff people have written to pursue the next generation (and there will be) of your kit...8)..
my three cents..
I swear to god, that was right out of a movie. But it was still very moving. I appreciate your three cents.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM

I've just been readin this post and god, i think some of you people have forgotten what drummin is about, its not about having the best sounding kit or the biggest kit or anything like that, Its about the enjoyment u have when you drum!

I've been drummin for 7 years, I started out with a crap Diamond drum kit that i got off ebay for $350, and i started gettin into metal drummin, so i bought another diamond and made a double bass kit. But as soon as i was happy with my kit it sounded awesome, as long as you like your kit, it'll sound as good as you want. i know some drummers who bought massive Pearl master kits for over $8000, and sold them 2 weeks later because they werent right for them, they actually went back to a double pearl forum kit because they liked the sound of them. I guess i kinda rambled on a bit there, but the fact is, mate that kit looks good, and if u carefully tuned the drums to get them just right(could take hours), then chances are that you will see how great it sounds. New skins and good drums help, but enjoyment is the best help a drummer can get! :D
Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I can't afford good drums, so a lot of drums *kind of* makes up for it.

And I know it's not good to have Frankenstein sets, but when you're low on money, you get what you can. Once I'm old enough to get a job, maybe that will be different.

Pearl Export isn't the lowest of the low. There are PLENTY of drumsets that are much cheaper and much worse.
Yeah, I remember 14. That was 1971. I had the worst Japanese cheesewood (probably made by Pearl) kit. I added anything that came my way for free to it, and most everything I found really cheap. It was the "working definition" of Frankenuglystein. So do all your "experimentation" on the cheap. Decide what works "for you". And then, when that first job and real money starts to come in.....game over.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
when that first job and real money starts to come in.....game over.
Exactly. Does Starbucks have good pay?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does Starbucks have good pay?
No, but it's a start.