DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Steve Gadd is so aware of Drummerworld, that he even put a video and picture from Drummerworld on his own website...

http://www.drstevegadd.com/media.htm

Bernhard
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Steve Gadd is so aware of Drummerworld, that he even put a video and picture from Drummerworld on his own website...

http://www.drstevegadd.com/media.htm

Bernhard
That is so cool... I don't think that Steve Gadd is one hero that anyone regrets meeting.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:08 AM

He's probably my favorite drummer right now. He just knows how to groove. Nevermind the technical stuff, great creative fills, subtleties everywhere, all that doesn't matter that much because you look at Gadd and say THAT is a drummer who just loves drumming. That is a drummer who is sitting there pouring his heart into a groove and is just perfectl in sync with his groove and knows exactly where he's going with it. You look at him and say...THAT is a drummer.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
jamndrummer

Default Re: Steve Gadd

Quote:
Hello,

My favorite drummer is Steve Gadd.
He is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.
What do you think about Steve Gadd?

Regards,

Jarek
Dont know Dr. Gadd personally, but have met him at clinics and PAS and all I can say is he is a very humble and respectable man. I never seen a drop of arrogance come from Mr. Gadd. and the man can groove.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Steve Gadd

A few people here have had the honor to meet him. I wish I had. From the posts I have read, he is one hero that is approachable.

Considering his kit really hasn't changed significantly in 20 years from the sam basic Yamaha configuration, it's amazing the things he comes up with. He is 100% a musicians and a vocalists drummer. And a drummers drummer.

He is responsible for some powerful and influential, nay iconic or legendary drum parts on countless recordings.

Some people don't "get" Gadd. But he is not just a groover, it's as if every note that he plays is not only vital to the music, but never excessive. He is able to apply his cornucopia of styles and versatility in a way that makes you tap your feet and really feel the music.

I doubt there are many drummers before or now that are as universally respected as Steve Gadd.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:59 PM
jamndrummer

Default Re: Michel Petrucciani and Steve Gadd

Quote:
Michel Petrucciani and Steve Gadd What do you think about Michel Petrucciani concerts with Steve Gadd on drums in 1997 and 1998?
Yes nice work together, Michael from what Ive seen was a great pianist with great potential to be a worlds great artist. Unfortunatly he died young. Gadd did a really nice brush solo at one of his concerts.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Thinshells

Gadd fans MUST have the following dvd:

"Paul Simon, live at the tower theater oct 7, 1980"

I can't call it "Gadd at his prime" because he is always prime.

But this dvd is a spectacular showcase for Gadd's classic grooves and just terrific music.

Gadd just makes the music!

He is playing his yamaha kit with evans blue hydraulics.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Womble

I second that. If you don't own that DVD, sort it out!! It's an all-round great concert.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just received another one...couldn't resist to put it up....

Bernhard
Attached Images

Last edited by Bernhard; 12-02-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard

Bernhard
If Steve ever feels down for some reason, all he need do is visit this thread!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
Me either,
Dont the twins look handsome? hehe....no seriously you guys do look good together...and you both kick the kit....NICE!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Pioneer Member

wow, you look really happy there bernhard. and no wonder. i remember first time i went on this site and randomly watched a clip was steve gadds lucky 13 clip. it was my first indication that, as good as he is, maybe tre cool isn't the best in the world. i have never looked back, and that clip is still the fave.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Hello,

I think, that Steve Gadd is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek Witkowski
Hello,

I think, that Steve Gadd is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.
Yes...thanks for the information

Bernhard
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM

I can not think of another percussionist today who has inspired more drummers than Steve Gadd.
His level of innovation, sheer technical mastery of the instrument, and dedication to the groove in every style of music he plays has delighted and instructed countless drummers in how good drumming can be.
I am grateful for every paradiddle, single, and double stroke the man has ever played.
I recommend Legends DVD "Live At Montreux 1997".
The line up is:

Eric Clapton - guitar
Joe Sample - keyboards
David Sanborn - alto saxophone
Marcus Miller - bass
Steve Gadd - drums
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Administrator

that's a better post than any you've made so far Jared. its in the right place and has a bit of information and motivation. what are your top five gadd songs?

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 PM
mlehnertz

I have two favorites.

Late in the Evening - Four sticks. Come on. That's hot.
Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover - We know that groove. We copied it. We sucked at it.

Yes, all of the Steely Dan stuff. There was a live thing I saw on tv with Eric Clapton that was pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
that's a better post than any you've made so far Jared. its in the right place and has a bit of information and motivation. what are your top five gadd songs?

j
Old 12-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Hello Nutha,

My top five Steve Gadd tunes:

> "Winelight" - Grover Washington Jr. CD "Winelight", 1980.
> "Round Midnight" - Manhattan Jazz Quintet CD "Live At Pit Inn", 1986.
> "More Than Friends" - Bob James & David Sanborn CD "Double Vision", 1986.
> "Mas Que Nada" - Al Jarreau CD "Tenderness", 1994.
> "Take The A Train" - Michel Petrucciani CD "Trio In Tokyo", 1999.

Jarek
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Womble

On the Performance Channel (English Cable channel) a couple of nights ago I came across one of those stomach-turning classical/pop hybrid concerts, called 'Pavarotti Does Pop' or something similarly awful. And yes, it featured Pavarotti singing popular hits, along with a whole host of European stars we've never heard of, plus Annie Lennox. And guess who I spied on drums?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
On the Performance Channel (English Cable channel) a couple of nights ago I came across one of those stomach-turning classical/pop hybrid concerts, called 'Pavarotti Does Pop' or something similarly awful. And yes, it featured Pavarotti singing popular hits, along with a whole host of European stars we've never heard of, plus Annie Lennox. And guess who I spied on drums?
Bernhard?

Bash Ringo not, shall you...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 PM

Hi everyone,

lurked here for a little while. Finally was able to put aside some minutes to read this whole thread tonight and thought I'd post.

I think Gadd is a great drummer/musician -but that's all been said by others here better than I could put it. So ...yeah ...what you guys said. Like him or not, it seems silly to dispute his skill, influence, and contributions to the artform we all love.

The thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned (very sorry if someone did and I just missed this) is that, I think, in line with all that creativity and all those innovative parts, one of Gadd's most important contributions has been his approach to not just the drumset, but the drumset + the microphones.

He was one of the first to realize and deliberatly take advantage of the fact that a well mixed, close-mic'd drumset will make things like that "chick" with the left foot cut through even rock guitars, letting him add a whole new level of dynamics to his playing and take a fresh approach the drumset -opening up a whole world of possible patterns that didn't work before because they woudln't really be completely audible. That, more or less, changed the way people use a drumset to create music. I mean, there were probably others that helped this cause too, but that's one of his biggest contributions, IMO. His often unpopular approach to tuning (I tend to favor a more 'open' sound myself) is also a very microphone conscious one and speaks towards his approach to the drumset viewed in the context of microphones.

so...yeah. He's a pretty significant fella. I'd venture to throw the word genius on the table.

P.S. Bernhard, this is a really, really great website. You're doing a great thing here -I've met young drummers who didn't know the name Steve Gadd ...not to mention the likes of Papa Joe and other greats who aren't on mainstream media every 2 seconds. I'll bet there are a lot of young players out there who've really had their eyes opened here! I think you're making a real contribution to Music!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Founder Drummerworld

thanks Auger for the flowers - thank you so much.

As for Steve Gadd and micing and strange sound of drums: Yes, I fully agree, this is really the point.

Unbelievable this year at PASIC: I sat on his drums and tried out - and some other drumsets too from great players like Billy Kilson or John Blackwell or Virgil Donati.
Just unbelievable, how all sets sounded so well and Steve's Set sounded really crappy! then he started to regulate with the techs - the Snare - and it became even more crappier. Then he was happy and no wonder: at the clinic everything sounded PERFECT!!! It's really the micing. Or take his Award-celebration DVD: The rehearsal Sound and the performance Sound - what a big difference...

Bernhard
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Administrator Emeritus

I have to admit that I hadn't given the subject much consideration. Thanks Auger for bringing it up, and thanks Bernhard for backing it up with the personal information.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM

In November 2005 was released "Chick Corea and Three Quartets Band" DVD, Region 1.
This DVD were recorded at the Blue Note jazz club in New York City.
The lineup is marvelous:

Chick Corea - piano
Michael Brecker - tenor saxophone
Eddie Gomez - double bass
Steve Gadd - drums

Also on ebay Italy - www.ebay.it is available Steps Ahead DVD "Live at the Mt.Fuji Jazz Festival 2004".
It is unofficial DVD.
I can not say much about the sound quality. That is important. I think the sound quality will be bad.
Someone has this DVD?
The lineup is:

Mike Mainieri - vibraphone
Mike Stern - guitar
Adam Holzman - keyboards
Darryl Jones - bass
Steve Gadd - drums
Old 12-16-2005, 01:11 AM

Dogbreath and Bernhard,

Glad I had something to contribute!

That's really something that you got to play Steve Gadd's drumset, Bernhard! It's fun to hear about that sort of 'inside' perspective! I think I'd have been a little nervous! :)
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Founder Drummerworld

thanks Auger

No it was not a big thing and no time to get nervous - I didn't really play for the master. Just we all stand around - i had a media badge - taking pictures and joking and while Steve changed some cymbals i asked for permission to sit down and he laughed. So some taps here and some taps there - like a tech......

But then he really worked on the Snare, some screwing up and some down - for me it seemed: no special system - for some minutes sure - then he had to stop, because they openened the doors for the audience.

Bernhard
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Also on ebay Italy - [url
www.ebay.it[/url] is available Steps Ahead DVD "Live at the Mt.Fuji Jazz Festival 2004".
It is unofficial DVD.
I can not say much about the sound quality. That is important. I think the sound quality will be bad.
Someone has this DVD?
The lineup is:

Mike Mainieri - vibraphone
Mike Stern - guitar
Adam Holzman - keyboards
Darryl Jones - bass
Steve Gadd - drums
i do have a dvd from this gig...coming from a dvb-s tv capture..very nice
video and sound quality...
do a search in emule for: Steps Ahead - 2004 Fuji Jazz Festival - a nice xvid rip
in perfect quality...

regards
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM

something brand new from gadd....
http://www.sunlightsquare.co.uk/

you can listen to 4 tracks from the brand new cd and you can watch some quicktime videos
from the recording session...

line up is:

BASS - Will Lee -
DRUMS - Steve Gadd -
VOCALS: JOY MALCOLM (Moby, Incognito)
SHARLENE HECTOR (Basement Jaxx), Z-STAR (Slow Train)

gadd in chill out mood...great...
here four teasers...taken from the webpage..Brick Lane 3 minutes long - nice showcase of paradiddle variations...
Summer Night 1minute...
Mr Reeve 1minute...
Dubomatic 1minute...
on http://www.moderndrummer.com/critique.php
you can read a 9star critique...

cheers

Last edited by tomgadd; 12-21-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Consultant

here is a clip from the Vic Firth site.

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/video/gadd/gadd01HQ.mov

a short clip of a documentary on Steve's early career. and a VERY rare look at Steve performing on the Mickey Mouse Club (playing drums and tap dancing)
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Senior Consultant

On another note, what ever happened to the unofficial Steve Gadd website that Stan Mulder ran for years (Bernhard even had a link for it on the Gadd page). That was the most informative website for a single drummer.
It seems that Stan shut the website down about a month after the Official Steve Gadd website opened up (which was not too long ago).
I remember reading on his website that it was news to him that an official Gadd website opened up. In my opinion this was a slap in the face to him. Here he was, the first person to run a Steve Gadd website for the last 7-8 years and showed great loyalty, only to find out that an official Gadd website opened up.
If they wanted an official site who better to run it then Stan? in my opinion i believe Stan should of been given that honor, especially for all the hard work he had put into that website for all those years.......... i guess i cant blame him for shutting it down..... no respect i tell you... no respect.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Pioneer Member

i was shocked to see that steve was singing a jazz song while playing on the vic firth pasic clips. thats crazy, where was a band? surely he deserves one. not that he doesn't have a lovely voice.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Steve Gadd singing Bye Bye Blackbird is special. I think the purpose is, to show nice brushplaying and filling the gaps between the lines. It's just nice without a band.

Stan Mulder: very good and helpful friend. Just disappeared. Wrote some mails, but all adresses are dead. Just hope, it has nothing to do with the hurricaine....same time same place.

Yes, he was shocked, when the new Steve Gadd Site came up - but he had to take that into consideration earlier or later. Steve Kiener is also a nice guy and a family friend of Steve Gadd and finally they put up also a link to Stans Site.

Just wondering also, what happened.....

....Stan, if you read this....please: bernhard@drummerworld.com

Bernhard
Old 12-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Henry II

In additon to being the most in demand session drummer of all time (check out the SG discography here: http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm), Steve Gadd is also the most imitated drummer of all time, maybe with the exception of Buddy Rich. Further, Steve Gadd has had more influence on the art of drumming than any other drummer, ever, maybe with the exception of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

Frankly, anyone who doesn't recongnize the genius of Steve Gadd is either just not listening, or is not able to hear.

PS: My favorite SG groove is from Chuck E's in love by Rickie Lee Jones. That groove will pull your heart right out of your chest.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry II
In additon to being the most in demand session drummer of all time (check out the SG discography here: http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm), Steve Gadd is also the most imitated drummer of all time, maybe with the exception of Buddy Rich. Further, Steve Gadd has had more influence on the art of drumming than any other drummer, ever, maybe with the exception of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

Frankly, anyone who doesn't recongnize the genius of Steve Gadd is either just not listening, or is not able to hear.
I think it was Akira Jimbo that stated how big an influence Gadd is in Japan. A great number of drummers emulate and try to sound like Gadd. Jimbo does a variation of a Gadd riff on one of his dvd's. Neil Peart does a Gadd riff he learned from his "Burning for Buddy" sessions with Gadd.

I have read Jazz and fusion is much more popular in Japan than other parts of the world.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Pioneer Member

of all the drummers on this site gadd stood out for me. he is imitated, yet still unique, and tasteful, yet impressive. he is the drummer i would most like to be.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Pioneer Member

What are some of Steve Gadds best CDs? I just ran into some of money and I really want to pick up some of his work.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj
What are some of Steve Gadds best CDs? I just ran into some of money and I really want to pick up some of his work.
3 Must have cd's (in no particular order) with great musicianship throughtout, with some of the best grooves and solos ive heard from Gadd (and ive heard ALOT)

-"smokin in the pit" by Steps Ahead
-"Jun Fukamachi- and the New York all stars
-"The Leprechaun" by Chick Corea
Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 PM

iv only ever seen videos of steve gadd on drummerworld, but he has control and technique that make me wonder why im even drumming at all. he is amazing, i'll have to listen to all the songs everyone's talking about
Old 01-04-2006, 05:29 AM

gadd is one of my fav drummers. hes got chops and technique. i saw him with clapton on the crossroads guitar festival, and i just loved the way he played. i have seen him else where, but i liked him most on the guitar festival. check it out if you havent already
Old 01-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Steve Gadd will be at the NAMM Show 2006 in Anaheim, California.