Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Default My Kit :) Is it alright?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My Kit :) Is it alright?

It looks nice.

I would suggest moving the floor tom over closer to your leg. It looks like quite the gap there. But that's just my $0.02.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM

The entire set is taking up too much space. I'd be moving the snare forward and right, sitting it in front of the smallest mounted tom. I'd move the hats right. I'd move the double pedal in as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

My .02, Your snare angle is really steep and your crash and china seem to be blocking the bell of your ride and that just makes me sad :-(
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah, that's some nice looking stuff. I would take some of these suggestions though that have been posted. I would definitely put the snare on the other side of the double pedal link rod, and place it in front of the first tom.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:53 PM

Is that the Joey Jordison snare?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 PM

If Zoofie plays this set comfortable, why schould he change it??

Btw, it's the Joey snare.

Bram
Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post

Bram
Presumably the set is arranged to be comfortable to him. It look aight to me.. It might look odd to us but I think it's odd that people put their hats and ride on opposite sides of the kit, yet they manage.

This kit has no specs, Please give us specs - sizes, numbers, types. I'd also like to see some pictures from the front. What kind of snare is that? Looks cool.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:08 PM

Because he asked for our opinion?

Quote:
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

I would say if you ever plan on playing out sometime, adjust your stuff to a normal set up or its going to be hell trying to get used to the norm
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Bram
We assume that when he asks "Is it alright?" he's asking if it's a good set-up. We're trying to help. You're right, if he's comfy, great, but it's not the most ergodynamic set up.

www.rossidrums.com
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
We assume that when he asks "Is it alright?" he's asking if it's a good set-up. We're trying to help. You're right, if he's comfy, great, but it's not the most ergodynamic set up.
Well, ergonomic varies a lot. For example, many people have a huge distance between their rack and floor tom(s). To be most ergonomic, toms should be close together, but people find ways to work around it and play just as well. What seems ergonomic is based on tradition as much as anything. If we could see a video of Zoofie playing, then we could see if he has adjusted to the set's configuration well.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Well, ergonomic varies a lot. For example, many people have a huge distance between their rack and floor tom(s). To be most ergonomic, toms should be close together, but people find ways to work around it and play just as well. What seems ergonomic is based on tradition as much as anything. If we could see a video of Zoofie playing, then we could see if he has adjusted to the set's configuration well.
Oh, of course I agree with this. But, as always, one works with what one has, filling in the gaps as best as possible, and suggesting based on personal experience, etc.

www.rossidrums.com
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Cheers guys. Yes , i was just wondering what you would change , because i have recently gotten into metal drumming i thought that it would be best to be more compact and was just asking your suggestions.
So you would put the snare directly infront of the small tom and also infront of the double pedal link? Also do you reckon the snare is at too much of an angle?
Thanks again guys :)

P.S
1) Yes its a joey snare
2) What height do you have the seat at normally when you are playing and how far away from the kit?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Only you can decide what is comfortable to you. I have been setting my kits up the same way for many years. regardless of how many toms I set up, a 4 piece or a 7 piece they always end up in the same places. Single or double bass, again the same places.

I can play my kit with my eyes closed, and often do, this allows me to focus on the music and not my kit. You need to get to the same point.

Work on it a piece at a time, play with angles, hight, location etc. You do not want to be cramped and you do not want to have to think about reaching for it either.

You will know when it is right for you.

Oh and there are NO rules, what works for you is what works for you.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 PM

just try it out. look what's most comfortable for you, what works best. experiment. you will get a thousand suggestions but honestly you need to check it out yourself.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofie View Post

Mate I've been playing for 18 years and the most important thing I've figured out is that if your comfortable you feel good, and if you feel good you normally play good.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Ive never understood how anyone can find it comfortable to play with the two rack toms ontop of the base drum, but that's just me. i play with them set up on a double tom stand to the left of the bass drum. I"d tighten that gap between ur snare and the floor tom too.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
Ive never understood how anyone can find it comfortable to play with the two rack toms ontop of the base drum, but that's just me. i play with them set up on a double tom stand to the left of the bass drum. I"d tighten that gap between ur snare and the floor tom too.
If he's new to the drums he will find his own way, just keep playing mate and if you are told to move this or lose that remember that "normal" is just a setting on a washing machine! I bet copeland was told (by a so-called pro) his drums should be changed around once to. Thank the lord he didnt listen!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Since you did ask. The snare needs to be closer to you and to the left. Put the snare on the other side of the double pedal linkage and move the floor tom to the left, closer to you. These moves will make the set more compact and much easier todo fills and move around the set.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:39 PM

The snare looks sick, if you like it then don't change anything.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Again, whatever is comfy for you works. However, there is a logic to what a lot of us are saying in this thread. It involves angles that you play at. Hold your arms at the angle that you play your snare at. Odds are that they are close to flat. To get the full sound from the top head resonating down to the bottom head of the drum, and taking full advantage of both heads and the snares, your snare needs to be hit in the center, with the main force going evenly from the top head to the bottom head. That's why we tilt our rack toms...because our arms are out and angled when we are playing them. The people who use flat toms use a different arm angle, so it still makes sense.

As far as tightening up the toms, moving pieces together, it's your call, but a lot of us that are suggesting it have seen too many sticks ripped out of the hands of drummers who, when absorbed in the music, have a stick fall into one of those cracks and come up hitting the rim and falling out of your hand, etc.

Just some thoughts.

www.rossidrums.com
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

The kit is just fine.

Your setup however is not too ergonomically correct, and as it is I doubt it is comfortable to play.

I'm guessing, but you are reasonably new to drumming? Even though someone's setup is a comfort thing there are certain things you must keep in mind.

1) You shouldn't have to work harder than you HAVE to.
Drumming is very physical and the easier you make it on your self the longer you'll last, for one gig AND for the rest of your life.
Stretching and straining to reach and play your kit is unacceptable and unless you are one tall dude you'll tire easier and probably strain or damage some part of your body over time.

2) The parts of a drum set are adjustable to some extent, adjust them to fit YOU, don't compromise your comfort for a piece of equipment. Of course what you have there might not be exactly what will suit you in the long run, so don't despair over it, you can compromise a bit as long as it's reasonably comfortable to play.

3) EVERYONE has a different favorite way to set up, and because no two human bodies are EXACTLY alike you'll find GREAT differences in the way someone else will advise you to set up your gear.

I was told by an awesome drummer very good friend a way to APPROACH/START setting up. It takes into account that you want to be seated comfortably and have everything within reach without stretching TOO much to get to things.

Basically you build the drumkit AROUND YOU!!

Ok, Very long winded, but here goes:
First,
without anything else, set up your drum throne and adjust it's hight to allow free movement of your legs, it's height will be indicative of your way of approaching the pedals you are going to be playing. Maybe a bit higher if you use heel UP method, or a bit lower if you use the heel DOWN method of playing the pedals.
(example; I play somewhat high on my throne as I play with the balls of my feet and I don't like my heel too low and have to LIFT it to play, it's automatically where I like it because I adjusted my throne to compensate for that)

Second,
sit in the throne and see where your feet automatically lie on the floor, simply put the right hand pedal of your Double Kick Pedal under your right foot and adjust the link to put the left hand pedal of your Double Kick Pedal JUST inside of where your left foot is, then place your HiHat just to the left of your Double Kick Pedal. You're kind of splitting the difference of where the pedals are as to where your foot was. That way you're not reaching too far IN or OUT for either pedal.

Third,
get your snare drum with the stand and place it just inside the linkage of your Double Kick Pedal right in the middle in front of you. Close/Far enough for you to play it without reaching, or pulling your arms back into yourself, it shouldn't be a strain. Adjust the height/tilt of the snare so you to sit up straight yet comfortable and are able to play it without hitting the rim too hard. (you want to be ABLE to hit the rim, but you don't want to accidentally hit it without trying)

Fourth,
without any of the toms or cymbals on it attach the kick drum to the kick pedal without moving the pedal. Now play it for a while, just like that, and adjust/tweak things as you see the need. Play that Kick, Snare and HiHat combination until you're reasonably sure you're comfortable with it.

I'll wait . . .

That's enough!1 Just kidding!!

Fifth,
(here's where a bit of compromise comes in as the setup you own has both rack toms on the kick drum) Put the rack toms on the kick and adjust them so they are close to you and high or low and tilted enough so you don't have to reach too much, but don't pull the right hand tom TOO close as you still have to fit the floor tom in there under it.

Sixth,
time for the floor tom, bring it in on your right and adjust the height so you're not reaching up or down to play it, and close enough to your right leg and the bass drum as to not be too much of a reach.

Seventh,
get the ride cymbal on a stand and place it on your right high enough where you can still get to the drums it might be over or near, and close enough to play it without too much of a stretch.

Eighth,
Get your crash cymbals and get them set around you kit where they are not too high, or too far away to reach.

Now PLAY!!! And as you go, adjust things a bit at a time until after a while you'll begin to see what tweaks work for you

REMEMBER this is just a place to START your setup, and only you will know what is comfortable and will work for you!!

When you're done it should look a BIT like this setup, but adjusted to fit YOUR body and playing style.

Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Wow Viper.....er ah...that was a bit long winded, but ...ah good advice...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Wow Viper.....er ah...that was a bit long winded, but ...ah good advice...
Yeah, HA HA!! See what happens when you get me talkin' about DRUMS!!!!
I get ALL kinds of carried away!!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace