DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Set-up till new stuff arrives...

Hello everybody!

Lately I havn`t been around as much as usual.
Finished working a two weeks ago and earned money for my driver license and for a new Istanbul Agop 22" Signature Ride. It should come in in a few weeks.

Though the best news are that I could finally sell my Tama Superstar Custom. I`m looking for a way different kit.
It`s gonna be a custom built kit, made by www.cube-drums.de
The guy (Lars) who does all the fine work is indeed like a German Francois (UNIX)...I just called Lars this weekend and told him about the news. We immediately planned what the new kit will be like. I first thought about those German beech shells...but then decided to go with some Maple Keller shells. Sizes will be: 18x14" bass drum (virgin), 12x08" and 14x14" toms. Probably a 14x06" snare drum, too.
I will probably get those maple shells waxed with black hardware. (black tube lugs and 2.3mm flanged hoops)
Simple but I really like it.

But okay...till the ride and the kit arrives I set up my yellow Basix short stack Custom. I have to say that it sounds sooo beautiful. I tuned the toms high, percussive. It was easy to get the fourth interval (compared to the Tama).
I also just played a great Jazz quartet gig with this yellow beauty, it sounded awesome live as well as the cymbals!

Here are the specs for the Basix:

20x18" bass
12x06" tom
14x12" tom
14x5.5" snare

14" Istanbul Agop Turk hats (928/964g)
21" Istanbul Mel Lewis ride (2134g)
22" Zildjian K Custom Dry Light Ride (currently not in use)

Sorry for the bad pics:

Thanks a lot for reading and looking,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.

Last edited by Drummer Karl; 08-06-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Set-up till new stuff arrives...

The pics don't look bad at all Karl, nice job! :)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Really beautiful set. At first I thought it was painted or wrapped but I see with the close-up that it's a gorgeous staining job. Very contemporary sizing, with deep bass drum, shallow toms and larger snare.

I've never heard of Basix drums, but they look very high-quality, including the hardware (reminds me of Sonors).
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Wow! A beautiful set indeed!! Like DMC, I thought it was a yellow wrap but it is a really nice stain job. If they sound half as good as they look they must sound great. The lugs are really neat looking. I like!!

I checked out the cube drum web site. Those are some great looking drums too. Are you going to go with the square lugs or something different? They really look like quality drums.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like a tight setup in that room. I'd still love to play it, though. Keep us posted on that custom kit!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear about the new kit, from the website, they look fantastic. Do you have any pictures of another kit you have seen that could give us an insight as to what you're trying to achieve? This will be an outstanding day once these arrive (hopefully at the same time, don't wear good pants). Make sure you post some artwork of the kit once it arrives, outdoor if you can!

On a side note, your snare/stick pictures you took have inspired me to make my own artwork, I'm currently working on bashing up my new snare head to get it ready for a cool shoot.

When is the beaut expected to arrive?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 AM

nice kit, really like the sizes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

The drums on the Cube website look great. Good choice in going with a custom builder to get exactly the kit you want and not some compromise. Whatever wood the outer ply on this kit is - it's amazing. Bubinga perhaps?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Great plans !

Are you sure about the 14x6 ? Knowing that you like to tune high, maybe you would prefer a 13x6.

and also, If you choose a 13x6 you'll have the exact same sizes as me :)

EDIT:
and... check to see if your tube lugs have inserts. The ones I was going to use didn't and thats why i chose other lugs.
Having inserts will let the tension rods move a bit, so they wont be stiff (hard to turn, difficult to align with hoop, etc)

EDIT:
But no inserts is not that big of a probleme, I have tube lugs without inserts on my snare and evrything is prefect.

still, I think you should talk about it with Lars.

Last edited by Tuxido; 08-06-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Karl, these look much more suited to your music & personality than your TAMAs : )

With the Istanbul, it will be an awesome kit.

( Btw, I really like your Basix too! Is it a Japanese brand? )
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks for all the comments!
I`m glad to hear that you`re "happy" with my decision to go for custom. I thought about this option for so long and then finally decided to do it.

This is what it will roughly look like: http://sandscustomdrums.com/images/p...ry/1470403.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Really beautiful set. At first I thought it was painted or wrapped but I see with the close-up that it's a gorgeous staining job. Very contemporary sizing, with deep bass drum, shallow toms and larger snare.

I've never heard of Basix drums, but they look very high-quality, including the hardware (reminds me of Sonors).
Yes, I feel really lucky with this Basix. I first wanted to go with a big company like Pearl, Tama etc. because I really needed the second (smaller) kit for gigging and all that. Basix itself is a mixed company, has its origin from a Chinese representer, the German company "GEWA" and an American friend of GEWA. Basix drums are produced near Beijing - since 1980. Here you can read more about Basix` history: http://www.basixdrums.net/21.0.html?&L=1

Generally a long time Basix drums were known as beginner level drums, as low quality drums. The introduction of their "Custom" line was like an evolution for Basix. Drums made from 100% birch wood, stained very well...additionally they updated the hardware and made it more stable and easier to use. Of course there are some disadvantages about the drums, the most popular may be the bad bearing edges. Those are anything but exact 45 degree edges. All in all they are beautiful sounding and looking drums for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post

On a side note, your snare/stick pictures you took have inspired me to make my own artwork, I'm currently working on bashing up my new snare head to get it ready for a cool shoot.

When is the beaut expected to arrive?
Thanks,
I`ll make many photos of the new kit. :-)
Let us know when you`ve got some artworks up as well! Really looking forward to see other photos...

The plan is to get it september, near october. Unfortunatly the hardware stuff needs long time to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
The drums on the Cube website look great. Good choice in going with a custom builder to get exactly the kit you want and not some compromise. Whatever wood the outer ply on this kit is - it's amazing. Bubinga perhaps?
Yes, Lars really makes quality stuff. Everything he builds is built with an extra portion love! He`s such a nice guy who knows what he`s doing. The small company also gets more popular with every kit...so it`ll also be kind of an artistic ad. ;-)
And yeah, that`s one ply of a bubinga veneer. A member of the German "drummerforum" got this built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
Great plans !

Are you sure about the 14x6 ? Knowing that you like to tune high, maybe you would prefer a 13x6.

and also, If you choose a 13x6 you'll have the exact same sizes as me :)

EDIT:
and... check to see if your tube lugs have inserts. The ones I was going to use didn't and thats why i chose other lugs.
Having inserts will let the tension rods move a bit, so they wont be stiff (hard to turn, difficult to align with hoop, etc)

EDIT:
But no inserts is not that big of a probleme, I have tube lugs without inserts on my snare and evrything is prefect.

still, I think you should talk about it with Lars.
I think I`m sure about the 14" diameter. I like to tune it high, though I dislike a very tiny snare sound for this kind of music. I`d like enough body, warmth and a lower fundamental pitch. Paired with a high tuning it`s great for me. 13" could be way too small for my needs.

About the lugs: I gotta ask him about that again...I thought about this yesterday. The thing is that I really love the look of tube looks. :-)
I think Lars will just get another call from me. I`ll talk to him...thanks a lot for mentioning that.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the new kit Karl.

From the looks of the attached picture the tube lug housings look very similar to the ones designed and used on the top of the line Peace Paragon series Canadian rock maple drums. They may be sourced from Peace {?}. Alot of top of the line hardware used on countless brands of drums come from their plant in Taiwan.

Keep us upated on the custom kit.

What green label Istanbul Agop Signature ride did you pick out by the way Karl? Size a weight my friend and link to a sound file if possible :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

I have always liked your little Basix gig kit Karl.

The ideas for the new custom kit sound really cool too, the sizes are perfect. I like the finish you are going for too. Fresh and modern and really reflects the kind of young talent you are. Keep us up to date with the birth of the new kit!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
KARL MEMBER

Mh, some not so great news: He just mailed back and told me that a maple kit is not possible for my budget. Though I could still go with a beech shell set, with black hardware. The main reason for choosing some maple shells was the look. When playing it doesn`t really matter whether I play some Good German beech wood or Canadian hard rock maple. But beech has a darker grain, it`s not as bright looking as maple. Would you guys personally go for beech? I wouldn`t mind really.

I e-mailed him and asked whether it`s possible to make a maple 3-piece. Though natural beech (oiled) with black hardware looks awesome too if I remember and imagine.
I`ll have to wait for his response.

Stan:

Thanks!
I don`t exactly know where he gets the hardware...he just said that there is much delay with shipping. Unfortunatly...

I chose this 2173g 22" Signature from Tony:

http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/a...22sig2173p.mp3

Next week my father gets home, then we can PayPal the money and Tony can send this beauty on her way down the road. :-)

Driver:

Haha...I feel too flattered. Like above: Maybe it will be some German beech. This isn`t bad either. The shells are made here in Germany ("Sindelfingen", Miles Davis had a concert in the 60`s there) and are high quality like Keller. Just a smaller company. =)

But: In the end the sound matters...and I`m very sure that it`ll be pleasing, whether maple or beech. There are no remarkable sound differences.

Thanks for the nice comments...when I get it I`ll immediately try to get mics! Maybe I could even use it for our first (and big) Piano trio gig.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Take your time making up your mind Karl. Beech wood makes for great sounding drums too from my experience having played some very nice Sonor kits in the last 35 years made from beech ply shells.

That 22" Sig is a beauty Karl and thanks for the sound file link. Perfect weight for a 22" Agop Sig for acoustic jazz. Mine's just a wee tad heavier at 2210g. You'll be very pleased in the flesh when you lay a stick on it I reckon :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

Karl,

congrats on your license and such

your basix look beautiful this time around.have you cleaned them recently?

anywho. no crash? i figured youd have at least ONE

love the cymbals

and, how do you plan on mounting your toms when your new virgin bass arives?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 AM

Congrats on that, Karl. The Cube drums look extremely high quality, I'm sure they will sound great. The Agop seems to be really cool too.
Have fun with your new gear, you must be thrilled!
from your
tv set

Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Silver Member

Yeah! Good for you, man! I can't wait to see the new custom kit.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

I haven't heard or played on beech drums myself, but the fact that companies like Sonor and Yamaha chose the wood for some of their top-end drums must mean that it's up there with maple from a quality point of view. You also don't find any entry level drums made of beech. And personally I'd like to have something that's a little more uncommon, if I had the choice.

As far as looks go, I've seen beech wood that's very light blonde and I've seen wood that has a much darker, pronounced grain pattern. Yamaha stains most of their beech custom kits, so it's not always easy to tell what the natural wood is like. I love light wooden shells, so for me a set of natural beech shells would be perfect. Specially with the dark tube lugs and hoops you were thinking of.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be spot-on for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
Karl,

congrats on your license and such

your basix look beautiful this time around.have you cleaned them recently?

anywho. no crash? i figured youd have at least ONE

love the cymbals

and, how do you plan on mounting your toms when your new virgin bass arives?
Thanks a bunch! I appreciate it...mh, no I actually didn`t clean my Basix lately. Though I played some gigs here and there so this could be a reason for the cleaned look.
I don`t feel the need of a crash cymbal. With that kind of music I do (Bop etc.) I want Ride cymbals. Although our band`s guitar player and a friend of mine did a jam session at my room yesterday. It`s more of an Electronica thing we`re doing. For this I set-up my Zildjian 22" Dry Light Ride and a cracked 18" Paiste Sig Full crash. Always give what the music needs... :-)
About your last question: I`ve got two snare stands. I`m gonna use one for setting up the tom.

Quote:
I haven't heard or played on beech drums myself, but the fact that companies like Sonor and Yamaha chose the wood for some of their top-end drums must mean that it's up there with maple from a quality point of view. You also don't find any entry level drums made of beech. And personally I'd like to have something that's a little more uncommon, if I had the choice.

As far as looks go, I've seen beech wood that's very light blonde and I've seen wood that has a much darker, pronounced grain pattern. Yamaha stains most of their beech custom kits, so it's not always easy to tell what the natural wood is like. I love light wooden shells, so for me a set of natural beech shells would be perfect. Specially with the dark tube lugs and hoops you were thinking of.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be spot-on for you.
Indeed, my drum teacher`s Yamaha Beech custom sounds awesome.
Just e-mailed Lars about my decision to go with beech. It seems to have a more booomy sound than maple, with more warmth and darkness. But of course no big difference.
He also offered me to just pick some beech shells with a very elegant grain which is very nice of him. Along with black hardware it`s gonna be a beauty either.

I`ve also asked about the finishing. I would like a satin lustre. Like this (with black tube lugs):

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...SD1455BN_1.jpg
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...SD1455BN_4.jpg

Unfortunatly I have to work for a matching snare in a few months again. ;-)

Thanks very much for sharing your opinions, experiences and thoughts!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 PM

Cool rig! Like what your planning on the customs, they look (and Im sure sound sweet) look forward to seeing its birth!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

How much time does it usually take him to build a set ?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks!

Etienne: I`m not sure about this...for my 3-piece he`ll probably need about three weeks roughly. But like I said, I`m not sure.
Unfortunatly there is delay regarding the hardware parts.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Man if that was natural it would be my dream set up, cool with just the ride to, very groove based kit
Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Big_Philly

That's good news! Very nice, Cube drums look like they're doing some beautiful jobs. A shame you're getting rid of your supes though, yours have an awesome finish! Mahogany fade, wasn't it?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:27 AM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks!
Yes, my Superstar was Mahagoni Fade. Indeed a beautiful finish...but the sound isn`t what I wanna have really.
When I set up my Basix, tuned it and played it felt so different, a lot lighter, more percussive sound. It feels and sounds better to me.

The next week I`m gonna order the 22" Signature and the new kit should be on its way the next months.

It`s gonna be an exciting time. I`ll keep you updated! :-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

First thing I noticed about your Basix kit (besides the Tony Williams screaming yellow finish) was the Yamaha/RIMS hybrid rack tom mount. Same combo I use on all my rack toms. And then your hats. I'm running 15" Mehmet Turks. Great looking kit. Your custom is gonna be sweet when you get it. The extra wait will just make you appreciate it more. Love your attitude, Karl. "Always give what the music needs... :-)" Awesome line.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
First thing I noticed about your Basix kit (besides the Tony Williams screaming yellow finish) was the Yamaha/RIMS hybrid rack tom mount. Same combo I use on all my rack toms. And then your hats. I'm running 15" Mehmet Turks. Great looking kit. Your custom is gonna be sweet when you get it. The extra wait will just make you appreciate it more. Love your attitude, Karl. "Always give what the music needs... :-)" Awesome line.
Hehe, this kit indeed reminds me of Tony, at least the finish. The hardware parts acutally all are Basix parts, although it looks a lot like a Yamaha tom arm. I couldn`t agree more.

Thanks for expressing your thoughts. I`ve seen your kit and the Mehmet Turks you`ve got, looks so nice and the sound character of those Turks is great, too. Now the other Agop Signature has to arrive and the new kit of course. That`s gonna be sweet I guess. :-)

Thanks harry...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Sooo....

Is it in progress ?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
Sooo....

Is it in progress ?
Haha...good question! I tried to get him on phone during the last week but did not suceed really. I guess he took some holidays? Who knows...or he just don`t wanna speak to me anymore? :-D

At least the Agop 22" Signature Ride is currently swimming across the ocean...right into my arms. ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm almost certain that beautiful wood is Waterfall Bubinga.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Hey, lovely kit and the new one coming sound exciting. Just want to know what you hats sound like?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
I'm almost certain that beautiful wood is Waterfall Bubinga.
Yep, indeed it is. It`s a beautiful veneer bought from an Italian brand called "Alpi". I really like veneers, especially Quilted maple ones. I first wanted to go for a maple veneer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
Hey, lovely kit and the new one coming sound exciting. Just want to know what you hats sound like?
Thanks mate!
I`m very excited, too. :-) The hi-hat is awesome. The sound is earthy obviously, it`s dry and generally a bit louder than lathed cymbals. It got a really fast response and a dry sustain. Typically for thin hand hammered cymbals it`s complex sounding, really really dark.

Here are some banal sound clips I`ve made along with some photos:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=25667&page=3

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Gold Member

Karl,

The Basix kit looks fab and cannot wait to see the cube...hope (even though you are not getting your first choice) all works out according to your hearts desire...if you are going to get it custom you may as well fulfill your heart...EH? Cannot wait to see them.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
Karl,

The Basix kit looks fab and cannot wait to see the cube...hope (even though you are not getting your first choice) all works out according to your hearts desire...if you are going to get it custom you may as well fulfill your heart...EH? Cannot wait to see them.
Thanks!
Actually it isn`t negative to go with beech instead of maple, that`s great, too. In the end it will sound properly and I hope that I like its sound with coated Ambassadors instead of coated G1. Just the head choice makes me a bit desperate. I hear a relatively big sound difference between those Ambassadors and G1. Other than that I`m simply looking forward to playing the kit! =)
Today I guess I`ll chatter with him the last time to confer about the details...after that (when the hardware arrives) he`s gonna start building this beauty. By the end of september it should be completed.

I`ll keep you all updated of course. ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Good luck Karl, Can't wait to see 'em.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
KARL MEMBER

Thanks Drumsword, really appreciate your words man!
I talked to him today, we spoke about everything drum-related. He`s such a cool guy for sure!
We worked out: 3-piece kit, 18x14" bass (virgin), 12x08" tom and 14x14" floor tom. 6-ply 6 milimeter Beech shells oiled/waxed, we wanna choose some shells with a beautiful grain of course. I`d go for 45 degree bearing edges, realtively sharp with a bit counter cut. I want more sustain and tone, no real dampening effect you`ve got with rounded edges. Black nickel hardware parts: Tube lugs, 2.3mm power hoops and (if the budget really lets me) a black nickel suspension stand tom system instead of brackets. Coated Ambassador as tom batters, clear ambassador as reso, coated ambassador as bass batter and reso.

Oh, and I also talked to him regarding the quality of these tube lugs. He told me that I don`t have to worry, except that he works exact those tube lugs are high-quality with a brass thread.

Sorry for the delay, it will need some time till everything is ready. Can just feed you with information unfortunatly. ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Thanks!
Actually it isn`t negative to go with beech instead of maple, that`s great, too.
I`ll keep you all updated of course. ;-) Karl
I did not think it negative for the beech it just was not your first choice and I know how that can be a bummer even when there are still good aspects to the second choice...all in all I am sure it will be an incredible kit and I cannot wait to get a glimpse of it and a sound bite as well!!!

Anxiously waiting
JIM
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 AM

Hi Karl,

I really like what you are doing and I think you will do good things in the future.
That Basix kit looks good and I belive it sounds good also.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
KARL MEMBER

Aron, thanks for your comment. The Basix sounds great, too...I first wasn`t even sure whether I wanna wait with a new kit because the Basix really pleases me.

Though I decided not to wait. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
I did not think it negative for the beech it just was not your first choice and I know how that can be a bummer even when there are still good aspects to the second choice...all in all I am sure it will be an incredible kit and I cannot wait to get a glimpse of it and a sound bite as well!!!

Anxiously waiting
JIM
No no Jim, I do know what you mean. ;-) I didn`t think so either. Maple or nice veneers are something like a nice extra.

Haha, I guess that it will be an entirely different kit in the end. :-D

Thanks!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.