DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Default what are the best hard cases for kits & cymbals?

i'm looking for hard cases and wondering which brands are best for both kits and cymbals...hardware (soft bag with wheels) too!

thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Re: what are the best hard cases for kits & cymbals?

For drums, I've heard nothng but good things about the SKB's. I priced them out a while ago....and they're expensive!

For cymbals, I have both a hardcase (Zildjian Cymbal Safe) and a quality soft case (Ritter). They're both great. What's nice about the hardcase is the extra outer protection. Inside though, the cymbals all have that metal bar running through them so just imagine that case tipping over and perhaps causing keyholing (maybe I'm just paranoid). Set-up and tear-down is a bit longer with hardcases too I find.

When I gig now, I use the soft case. I've added extra cushion (carpet underpadding which I've cut to be 1" larger all around than all of my many cymbals) to give it more protection and keep the cymbals from rubbing each other. The outer protection is still not quite as good as a hardcase, but it's close and I'm pretty careful. It's a lot faster for set-up and tear-down too which I love.

For hardware, I just use a hockey bag. It's heavy as all hell and I hate it!! LOL

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 PM

I'm in the process of getting SKB's for my Yamahas. No one had a 16x22 so I'm gonna have to order it online.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Hardcases (www.hardcase.com) are a very good value but they no longer have U.S. distribution. All of the roto-molded plastic cases - SKB, Humes & Berg, Protechtor, Hardcase, etc. - are comparable in quality. If you have odd-sized drums (all my toms and bass are square sizes) then Hardcases are a good way to go because they telescope and fit different sizes.

I wouldn't worry about the center post damaging cymbals in a hard case. The bell is the thickest, strongest part of the cymbal and there is very little room for movement around the center post and most center posts have a plastic sleeve to prevent keyholing.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

One more vote for the SKB roto-X hardcases. These things rule! I'm currently putting together a set of them for all of my drums, finding them used one at a time. They sure are expensive, but it sure is worth the protection they give...

I use soft cymbal bags...the 24" Zildjian one is pretty sweet. I'm looking to get one that my friend has that has several very plush dividers in it to separate the cymbals...

For the hardware, I can fit everything into a small 1960's suitcase, except for my hi-hat stand. I got some yamaha stands with Gibraltar boom cymbal arms that can hold the cymbals all sturdily and also be made very compact for transport. I used a big "trap case" for a while, but it was heavy and large and awkward to move around. The suitcase ($7.00 at a thrift store) holds my BD pedal, floor tom legs, 2 yamaha stands, 2 Gibraltar cymbal clamp arms, tom mounting bracket, snare stand, a clamp-on stick holder, and various other things (extra felts, a rag, drum keys, sticks, etc...). In the future, I plan on getting one of those pieces of luggage with the wheels and the pull-out handle to replace the suitcase.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195

Last edited by caddywumpus; 08-05-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've had great luck with my Humes and Berg Enduro cases.

Fit and come apart easily, stack really well, aren't too heavy, and not too expensive.

I've had them for years, and a couple for about 10 years.

The straps snap together easily and are super strong.

I have a 22" square Enduro cymbal case from them too, and it's great.

I'm going on 19 years with the tall Vulcanized hardware case--and it was caught in a torrential down pour (OMG, that was freaking bad!) and did get slightly warped, but it still fits together easily (I just let it dry together, closed up), and the wheels still work well.

It is now starting to get a little rough (add a few screws here and there to keep the wood base secured well), so I may get a new one, but it will still last at least a year without any fixing of anything more.

I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it that's for sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 AM
Pioneer Member

SKB's are the way to go, expensive but worth the money in my opinion!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Hardcase for me - Love the stuff!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I wouldn't worry about the center post damaging cymbals in a hard case. The bell is the thickest, strongest part of the cymbal and there is very little room for movement around the center post and most center posts have a plastic sleeve to prevent keyholing.
That's reassuring to know. I'm pretty anal about my gear as you can tell. I should probably get a sleeve for the center post in mine.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
SKB's are the way to go, expensive but worth the money in my opinion!
I agree totally. (in under 20 characters.)
Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 PM

Definitely another vote for SKB -- pricey but absolutely worth it. In my experience they're a bit tougher than the Enduros (which I've got a set of and like -- but still prefer the SKB)... plus you don't have to deal with the joy that is H&B.

If the price of the cases puts you off and you just need basic protection, look at Protection Racket bags.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
If the price of the cases puts you off and you just need basic protection, look at Protection Racket bags.
Yes I have a set of protection rackets and they are generally OK. I do get a little wary still when other people are carrying my drums though, so I'm looking to invest in some hardcases too.
The SKB prices on ebay seem to be alright - 60 for a 22x18 case, which isn't too bad, I guess I'll be paying around 200 for a full set.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Protechtor makes awesome hard cases for drums and cymbals. They're virtually indestructable. I love mine. Reasonable price too. Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.xlspec.com/maincat.asp?Ma...echtor%20Cases
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM

For my drums, I use Humes and Berg Enduro Pro's. I absolutely love em'! And as for my cymbals, I either use a lined Humes and Berg square Enduro case or a Zildjian padded bag depending on where I'm going.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
Definitely another vote for SKB -- pricey but absolutely worth it. In my experience they're a bit tougher than the Enduros (which I've got a set of and like -- but still prefer the SKB)... plus you don't have to deal with the joy that is H&B.

Another vote for SKB. I broke a strap clip off of one, called SKB for replacement. With NO questions asked they sent me replacement and spare for FREE.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
That's reassuring to know. I'm pretty anal about my gear as you can tell. I should probably get a sleeve for the center post in mine.
I would definitely get a sleeve. You can take the case and a cymbal to a local hardware store and look in the plastic tubing section. Usually a few inches of tubing with 3/8" inside diameter and 5/8" or 9/16" outside diameter works perfectly. Make sure the tubing fits snugly over the post, but isn't too thick and you can get your cymbals off and on easily. Total cost: 50 cents or less.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Another vote for SKB. I use their drum, cymbal, and trap cases. Good quality and the offer great protection. They make gun cases too. :P
Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Humes and Berg Enduro.

Last edited by MaDaBe; 08-28-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:03 AM

SKB cases are expensive. I bought a set of them for my kit back in 2000 and they're still in great condition! The insides need to be re-glued every now and then, but SKB cases last forever and keep your kit in perfect condition on the road.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
They make gun cases too. :P
SKB manufactures cases for the US army, from waterproof laptop casings to storage cases etc.

To answer the question - I went with Hardcase. They're not as "luxury" as SKB but they do the job fine. I didn't consider the extra money for the SKBs necessary to spend when the Hardcases protect the gear just as well, in my opinion. Not to mention that the problem with SKB is that if you get a new kit with deeper shells you have to sell the cases and get new ones since the SKBs are not depth variable.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
SKB manufactures cases for the US army, from waterproof laptop casings to storage cases etc.

To answer the question - I went with Hardcase. They're not as "luxury" as SKB but they do the job fine. I didn't consider the extra money for the SKBs necessary to spend when the Hardcases protect the gear just as well, in my opinion. Not to mention that the problem with SKB is that if you get a new kit with deeper shells you have to sell the cases and get new ones since the SKBs are not depth variable.
Ditto on that. I have unusually-sized drums and Hardcases are the only ones that will fit. While SKB is a great brand, I have examined both SKB and Hardcase and I really can't see any difference.

I was checking out a new small-size SKB trap case at GC yesterday and it was $160! Hardcase makes an identical product for less, even with the exchange rate being what it is. The trick is actually getting Hardcases in the US anymore. EBay is the best bet.