DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Practice rooms!

WHEW!!!

What a relief it is to move into a REAL practice room.

A place you can record ideas, have controlled sound, air-conditioning, nobody helping themselves to your fridge. No beer allowed inside.

A blessing.

We moved into our guitar player's practice studio today.My old faithful TAMAs moved in too, a basic setup up with a 24" kick, 12", 14" toms ( don't remember depths.. ), PEACE piccolo snare..

..AND, they sound incredible off the wooden floors with the sound proofing.. I love wooden floors

Name:  band practice rm.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  104.2 KB
The control room

Name:  practice rm mrty.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  75.8 KB
the practice space

Name:  tama gig 1.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  83.2 KB
ye ole' faithfuls

Name:  tama gig 3.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  tama gig 5.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  75.1 KB
Trusty 5000s.. got ELIMS at home on the Yammies, not easy going back and forth between em

Name:  syb guitar range.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  127.0 KB
The Baskin Robbins of guitars. Sy's collection of James Tyler, Vintage Strats, PRS,Gibsons & god know what else..
MFBs going to like these..

Name:  talawand 1.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  83.1 KB
Really neat rods.. TALAWANDS, with rubberised contact points.. designed by Steve Smith to play with Indian percussionists, but also great for acoustic jazz and generally playing softly..

Name:  talawand 2.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  152.7 KB
..much nicer than the 'rods' because you get nicer response off the heads and cymbals
Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Practice rooms!

You're right, I do like those.

For a second I thought he'd nicked my Strat, then I looked closer and saw it had white pickups. Tempted to change the covers on mine now, it looks great.

Moving into a decent space can make all the difference to the way which you view your instrument. Just an improvement in acoustics can greatly increase your confidence and abilities - it really is an amazing change. Looks like a great space.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post

Moving into a decent space can make all the difference to the way which you view your instrument. Just an improvement in acoustics can greatly increase your confidence and abilities - it really is an amazing change. Looks like a great space.
Yup, it can transform a musician completely. Glad to see you have a nice place to practice now.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
..then I looked closer and saw it had white pickups. Tempted to change the covers on mine now, it looks great.
He changed them to John Suhr pick ups. "The real single coils" , he says with a lot of gravitas in his voice...

Last edited by aydee; 08-03-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Mine are a lovely set of Seymour Duncan's that I am particularly fond of, so it'll just be the covers. Look what you made me do... don't ever appeal to the GAS in me! It's not big and it's not clever!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mine are a lovely set of Seymour Duncan's that I am particularly fond of, so it'll just be the covers. Look what you made me do... don't ever appeal to the GAS in me! It's not big and it's not clever!
LOL, sorry MFB, I know you are reading this with one eye, and trying to look away with the other.

Today he ran it through a Guytron valve amp hooked up to a couple of Marshall cabinets, and it sounded a little 'dirtier' with a bit more of hum.

He thought that was just fabulous.

He's trying his best to emulate the sound of Michael Landau ( Legendary LA sessions guitar player)

Must admit, some of these nuances are completely lost on me. Cant really go wrong with your SDs at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by aydee; 08-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nice spot, Abe! It must be like going from a canoe to a yacht, going back and forth between those two kits.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Certainly one of the nicest practice rooms I've ever seen. Congrats.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 AM

... Dude your drumset is backwards!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Certainly one of the nicest practice rooms I've ever seen. Congrats.
Hows yours coming Harry? was looking good last time I peeked..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Nice spot, Abe! It must be like going from a canoe to a yacht, going back and forth between those two kits.
LOL, I had a feeling someone was going to call me out on this. It had to be you ,Vin !!!

Actually the 'Canoe" sounds incredible, considering the battering it has taken over many years of being thrown in and out of places. Surpised me... but you're right,. The yacht is something else..

Last edited by aydee; 08-05-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Man, that's more than a practice space!

That's like a musical sanctuary, the kind of place I could lock myself in for months at a time and not get cabin fever.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
Man, that's more than a practice space!

That's like a musical sanctuary, the kind of place I could lock myself in for months at a time and not get cabin fever.
Thanks, BTH.. it really nice to focus just on the music with everything leveled out soundwise.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Hows yours coming Harry? was looking good last time I peeked..
Excellent. My nephew started playing guitar, so I added a Strat. that he can play thru one of the Rolands. If I pick up a bass, I'll have meself a "back line". Who'da thunk? But the pics of yours gives me "hard wood floor envy".
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Nice looking room, I'm envious. I had a similar room without the hardwood floors. Before the divorce.....Now is an empty house waiting to be sold.........Unless I decide to pull it and move back in.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Nice space!! Mine has a drum kit, bass guitar, and a piano in it. My room is carpeted also which really muffles the sound. Need to change your drum heads dude-they look ancient. Your snare head doesn't have a sweet spot-the whole head looks worn?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post
.....Unless I decide to pull it and move back in.
Hope things work out for you soon, Dw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Need to change your drum heads dude-they look ancient. Your snare head doesn't have a sweet spot-the whole head looks worn?
Thanks, yeah wood seems to have some magical acoustic properties ( no surprise). The baffles on the walls prevent sound from reflecting back, which really adds to it too.

The heads- I know, I know.. havent bothered with the heads partly because in this room any kit will sound great. The other half is ..I'm lazy.

Sweet spot on the snare? Is it important to have one? I like using different textures on my Piccolo so the wear isn't in one spot.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM

I didn't note it was a piccolo snare. They do tend to wear evenly because you do play it all over. My larger snares tend to have a center sweet spot and a rim spot. My brother is bargaining with me now for my old 65' Ludwig kit he stole from me-my first kit. It still has the same heads he told me. Dang that has to be some kinda record. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Still all the original hardware, except he said he replaced the kick pedal. He wants to trade for a djembe I have and then wants me to sell the kit so we can share the profits. What kinda of logic is that I told him-no way I'd sale the kit. As you can tell my elder brother is a complete a$$. It has been a year of dickering but I think I'm playing on what little conscience he has and he may give me the kit. Wish me luck! Are those acoustic tiles on the walls of your room, or is this a jerry-rigged method?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM

As I recollect your kit was much larger??? Do you change up the number of toms and alter the tuning by spells? I tend to do that. With all your strings you must be on a string binge and not drumming as much. I tend to go by spells, but generally drum more than anything else. You have a musical paradise my friend-life is good isn't it!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I love the space too, but unfortunately it isnt mine. Its the guitar player's studio. The guitars belongs to him too, so though life aint bad, it isnt that rosy ; )...

I have a 7 piece Yamaha Mcan at home andt this kit is a part of a 15 year old 7 pieceTama Imperialstar, which I use for gigging etc..

On tuning, I pretty much apply the same method to every drum and every kind of head. The difference in sizes & materials create whatever difference that might be noticeable.

Last edited by aydee; 08-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
... it isnt that rosy ; )...
Even in a rose garden, ya gotta deal with mildew and aphids, sometimes...

Quote:
... andt this kit is a part of a 15 year old Tama imperialstar, which I use for gigging etc..
I love the Tama kit. It just screams punk rock. If I had a kit like that, it would live in my car. As it is, my Rogers kit may be doing that soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I love the Tama kit. It just screams punk rock. If I had a kit like that, it would live in my car. As it is, my Rogers kit may be doing that soon.
Ya, its is the Stewart Copeland model & its been through a few wars..

I think you'd like the pinstripe batter on the 24" BD, Harry. Its got a real crazy boom. Had to take the reso off to keep it from sounding like a clock tower.. ( I love it for this band sound )

Quote:
Excellent. My nephew started playing guitar, so I added a Strat. that he can play thru one of the Rolands. If I pick up a bass, I'll have meself a "back line"
How about one of those Akira Jimbo thingameboppers that trigger bass lines with the beater head? That could work.

Last edited by aydee; 08-06-2008 at 07:30 AM.