DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Default EC2 coated over EC reso

Anyone try this combination? Cause i just bought them and the first thing I said outloud when i heard my 16 X 16 floor tom was "Wow." I still had the stock heads on my Yamaha (its called YD series, has anyone heard of this? I looked on their sight and didnt see it. I bought it second hand.) and my drums were singing like I've never heard them sing before. I never liked the sound of resonance until I got these things on. What they say on their site about cutting out the high frequencies is so true. Coupled with the EC reso its so easy to sound good.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Re: EC2 coated over EC reso

I'm using EC2 on my toms, and thought about the EC Reso when the time came to replace mine. Two considerations hindered my purchase of the EC Reso: 1) the cost, and 2) the concern that the overall sound might be too muted. I went with G1, and I like the sound.

I would very much like to hear your combo live, however. I'm also curious as to what an EC2/EC1 combo would sound like, especially on the larger toms.

I wish I had money to burn on experiments like these. But alas, I don't.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

The EC Reso really doesnt mute any sound, it just makes it soooo focused. There literally are ZERO high frequencies, just one, low note. Its my type of tom sound :)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
PlaysforFun

ec reso's don't mute the drum at all, in fact it opens it up(focuses) more than your typical reso head.
All I can say is wow.....there is such a misconception about heads and tuning around this forum.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
ec reso's don't mute the drum at all, in fact it opens it up(focuses) more than your typical reso head.
All I can say is wow.....there is such a misconception about heads and tuning around this forum.
Yeah, I'll say a misconception, are you kidding me? It's an almost radically dampened/ muted head. It is what it is.

Those rings appliques are there to disrupt the sound waves, cutting out the highs ( and yes lows too -- muted heads can cut both, but the more mids are perceived as "deeper" in our ears, because highs stand out, by their nature.) They make for a very very nice tone, to the drummers ears right behind the kit, but in a mix and live they are muted heads, pure and simple -- but mics will be their friend.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 AM

I have an M Birch and I just put coated EC2's with EC Reso's on all my toms and I am very satisfied with the sound. I got a nice low punch for that classic rock sound with a real nice warm resonance. Thank You Evans!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 AM
trkdrmr

I currently have ec2 clears over ec reso. The drums don't sound muted or thuddy. I am switching to g-plus coated on top next week.