DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-02-2008, 02:24 AM

Default floor tom troubles

I can't get my 16" by 16" floor tom in tune no matter what. The heads currently on it are coated emperor on batter, and coated ambassador on the resonant side.

I was influenced by Bonham so thats why i have those heads.

Anyways, I have my resonant head tuned tight. and batter tuned medium tight.

and I get this unstable mid-low echoe from them ( if that makes any sense to you )

I would like it to sound like focused flat boom.

Anyone know any tuning tips, or anything else I can do to make them sound better?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Default Re: floor tom troubles

Put the drum upside down on the carpet. Loosen the reso head to finger tight, then turn each lug one whole turn. Check the tone on each lug till you get a nice equal sound. Loosen if it appears too tight the check lugs again.
Turn the drum over and do the same with the batter. After finger tight, tune up til you get the low tone you want. It will take time but be patient and good luck.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

I used to have problems with my floor tom, but after I finally sat down and gave it a good tuning, it's great. Put the effort into it and I'm sure it will make a difference.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 AM

thank you for the replies, another question, to get a flat sound, should i tighten both heads the same, or have the resonant higher than the batter or the other way. tuning isn't my thing as you can tell , I'm more conscious about it now.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsk36 View Post
thank you for the replies, another question, to get a flat sound, should i tighten both heads the same, or have the resonant higher than the batter or the other way. tuning isn't my thing as you can tell , I'm more conscious about it now.
There is not right answer here, you'll just have to play with it for a while until you find what you like.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
There is not right answer here, you'll just have to play with it for a while until you find what you like.
ok thank you for the help man
Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

try to center the heads and leave them for 24 hours, then tune it properly. take your time, it's really worth it.

I still find myself retuning for hours...
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

I tend to tune the batter head just above slack with the reso head a wee bit tighter than the batter plus one peice of moongel. This has worked for me but all shells are different. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
.. tuning isn't my thing as you can tell , I'm more conscious about it now.
Tuning can be tough. Sometimes even after you've been doing it for awhile. Yet it's a really important aspect of being a drummer.

Below is an often referred to and good source for tuning info. I don't think everyone agrees 100% with what the author says but it's an excellent read and very helpful for someone who needs help in that area.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Also search YouTube for 'Bob Gatzen'. He's got some good stuff up at YT as well as at the Evans website

HTH

Jim
Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think it's best to first find out what note the drum wants to play rather than force it to an arbitrary tuning or to simply count the same number of turns as some other guy with some other drum.

Start with both heads the same, finger tight. Increase the tension in very small increments, no more than 1/4 turn at a time, keeping both heads the same and keeping the lug-to-lug tuning decent. Always best to be careful the head is on evenly initially and to use two keys at opposing tension rods.

Strike the head in the middle. At first you get a flappy/papery sound. Add 1/4 turn all around and try again. Eventually you get a real tone. This is the lowest note the drum will play.

Keep adding a 1/4 turn at a time, keeping both heads the same, and strike it at every stop. Normally you find a note that the drum really sings on, usually above the lowest note but long before the drum becomes choked. That's the note the drum should be tuned at.

Because you have both heads the same, you will have maximum sustain. If you don't want that, begin raising the reso head, again in small increments. The more you raise it the less sustain you'll get. (You'll also get a pitch-bend.) If by the time you are choking the drum with the reso head you still have too much sustain, it's time to look for different heads.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 PM

you guys are awesome thanks for the tips any more would be greatly appreciated.