DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Vintage Premier snare?

I just got given this snare drum recently, admittedly in pretty bad shape so no cash was required. After about an hour stripping the shell down and polishing, as well as replacing the wires and repairing the strainer, the drum was as good as new.

Problem is, I have no idea what the drum is, model, year or anything of the like. The shell is 14x5 with
'Premier
British Made
Deluxe Model'
engraved on into it and
'New Era
Made in England'
on the original wires.

Anyone know what I have here? Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
=]
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Vintage Premier snare?

The throw off design is very primitive. It might be rather vintage, as they say. I'm not going to put up what I think until somebody else chimes in, I fear I might be very out.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM

Thats pretty cool, I really like it. Great work, I take it the bottom pic is a before pic?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

I wish I could offer some help identifying, but I don't know anything about it except that it looks totally sweet. Love those hoops.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Sorry I'm not helping either, but those lugs looks great! Have you had a chance to give it a proper play yet?

Tom
Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Junglelord -
Yes, the bottom pic is beforehand. Although the wires on the snare were far too damaged to be used, I was just hoping that the design of them could help someone identify the snare.

drumbandit -
Haven't had a chance to give it a proper play or to tune it to my specification, but from just tightening the heads roughly, it gives out a very jazzy sound with minimal undertones (I'm terrible at describing snare sound, I'm far too picky in what I want to hear). Hopefully it will be used for practicing jazz with my school band, if not I'll probably just keep it to look at =)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Ok, here's the wrap. I suspect that is a very old drum. I may very well be wrong, but I'm suspecting at least the 30's. Premier didn't make many drums in the 40's because their factory was bombed during WWII. The single-flange hoops and the style of strainer make me suspect it is that old. I'm going to do some digging, so don't take this as fact yet - but that is my suspicion. Don't take it into school. It's too nice.

EDIT:

Check this out: http://www.vintprem.moonfruit.com/

This snare looks like the 1926 'Deluxe' model. It probably isn't from 1926, but it seems to appear in that catalogue. Hang on and I'll see.

I'm about 90% sure that's the 1926 'Deluxe' model. The lugs are right, the strainer is right and the hoops are right. As for value? I have no idea - Premier don't tend to be as valuable as say the equivalent Ludwig Black Beauty, but to me that is largely irrelevant. That is a beautiful snare and in good condition. If you've repaired the strainer, make sure you've repaired it PROPERLY. Do NOT throw away those snare wires under any circumstances.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Ok, here's the wrap. I suspect that is a very old drum. I may very well be wrong, but I'm suspecting at least the 30's. Premier didn't make many drums in the 40's because their factory was bombed during WWII. The single-flange hoops and the style of strainer make me suspect it is that old. I'm going to do some digging, so don't take this as fact yet - but that is my suspicion. Don't take it into school. It's too nice.

EDIT:

Check this out: http://www.vintprem.moonfruit.com/

This snare looks like the 1926 'Deluxe' model. It probably isn't from 1926, but it seems to appear in that catalogue. Hang on and I'll see.

I'm about 90% sure that's the 1926 'Deluxe' model. The lugs are right, the strainer is right and the hoops are right. As for value? I have no idea - Premier don't tend to be as valuable as say the equivalent Ludwig Black Beauty, but to me that is largely irrelevant. That is a beautiful snare and in good condition. If you've repaired the strainer, make sure you've repaired it PROPERLY. Do NOT throw away those snare wires under any circumstances.
Thanks a lot! That does help me out. I have sent an e-mail to Premier to confirm this, hopefully the drum is as you suspect.

The strainer is repaired exactly as it was originally, I was considering modifying it, but couldn't bring myself to change anything about it. It looks far to nice! I couldn't bring myself to throw the wires away either even though they are far beyond use to me. I kept the heads too on the off chance that they might shed some light on the drum.

All the drum needs now is a Remo Vintage A head and all shall be good. (The drum currently has an Emperor fitted for lack of a better choice).

(p.s. If the snare goes into school, its out of normal school hours and NO-ONE but me will play it. I'm far too obsessive with my snare drums, they all mean so much to me).
Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

The last time that I saw screwdriver type lugs like those and a throw off like that It was on a very old drum. I saw it on ebay. It was on a drum from cira 1930s. The rounded furrow on the side also indicate an old piece. Looks cool. It appears to be in excellant shape. I cant believe that it cleaned up so well!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Wow what a treasure!,

If it were me I would not play it bery much it at all, just hold onto it and enjoy it. If you play it you will break it. They weren't built to take the heavy back beats with mylar heads we use today.

Back then it was calf skin, you could not tighten it or hit it like the heads of today.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site