DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Default Been recording!! need your advice on mics.

Ok guys. well....its summer..and iv spent the last 5 hours figuring out how to work garage band. and i realized its awesome. I mixed a song, then recordin my drums onto it on the regular plain old Imac mic, and well i was wondering if it would be wise to spend some cash and get some real drum mics. The recording isnt TERRIBLE but its not as clear and articulate as id like.

So i was wondering if it wouldnt be a terrible idea to buy some drum mics? What should i get? would i just be wasting my money?

thanks in advance

(btw,a ima post my rough draft of my mix on your playing!! check it out yo.)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Been recording!! need your advice on mics.

For your needs, buying a value set of mics would be a great idea. The CAD 7pc kit is probably what you need. It's not the best kit on the market, but it will be more than what you need for home recording. You'll have to ask someone else about interfaces and such.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=271264

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 AM

Sorry ironcobra, but I have to say that those value sets of mics are a terrible idea. If you've used them to good effect, please let me know, but in my experience they sound bad, require a big mixer or interface, create phase problems, and make mixing and eq-ing much more difficult than it has to be.

I'd say for your purposes, your best bet would be to get the audio-technica 2020 condenser mic in the usb version, and then a kick mic of some sort (sennheiser makes decent cheaper ones). That way you can set the condenser mic as an overhead and put it in through usb, and then send your kick mic through the audio input. 2 mics would mean you wouldn't have to buy a mixer or interface of any kind. Just make sure your mic cable for the kick mic is xlr to 1/4" and then you'd need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

Hope that helps
Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

waitttttt. i dont have a mixer. all i have is my handidandy imac and my drumset. will i need one for the 2 mic dealio? i wanna keep costs to the minimum.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 AM

He just said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
2 mics would mean you wouldn't have to buy a mixer or interface of any kind.
One mic would go into a USB port, the other into the 1/8" audio input jack
Old 08-03-2008, 07:25 AM

If you already have a good interface with preamps then it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. An SM57 on a snare is an obvious choice, lots of great kick drum mics, (shure beta52, audix d6, akg d112, and Electrovoice RE-20 are all popular). A lot of people like the ATM 450's as overheads, I've never used them before but they are pretty reasonably priced. I like the Audio Technica AT4050 as an overhead, but you would spend $1000 bucks for a couple of those. Then after you've got your overheads, kick, and snare mic, you can fill in some tom mics later