DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Visiting NY next summer - need help with a place to stay + drum teachers!

Hello people!
I just recently won a pretty good amount of cash (talent award thingy! Yay!). I decided that I want to use the money to learn more about my instrument and to get inspired to improve my drumming. Therefore - Iīm planning on visiting New York! Iīve been there once before, and I truly loved everything about the city. The only difference this time, is that Iīm paying for it myself!
Can you guys help me with my following questions?

First of all - do you guys know of a cheap place to stay? I donīt need a fance place, and Iīm more than willing to sleep in a sleeping hall with shared bathrooms or whatever, I really donīt want to spend much on the place Iīll be staying. After all - Iīll be out all day!
The only thing Iīd really like is a place in Manhattan (I know, maybe too expensive), and Iīve tried YMCAīs rooms, but they were all full!
Iīm open for any suggestions, I just want to stay somewhere safe, cheap and with a storage locker or something for some gear (if itīs shared rooms or something!)

Second of all - my first priority with this trip is to take lessons from the great drummers of NY. Iīm just wondering - how do I get in contact with these drummers? Can you guys give me any help here?
Of course, my biggest dream would be to take lessons from the likes of Tommy Igoe and Dom Famularo etc, but I know this might be aiming a bit too high. BUT please, if you have any tips or anything - please help make this trip worth itīs while, hehe!

And last, but not least - I want to go to a lot of concerts. At the Blue Note, Birdland, a broadway show and other places! Iīm just wondering, will I have troubles getting in to these concerts? Iīll be 19 years old at the time, and Iīve heard that you might have troubles, if youīre under 21? I donīt drink, so thatīs not a problem...
What are your experience with this?

Thank you so much for your time reading all this! And please, if you have some gold you want to share with me, regarding New York, please do! I really want to explore the city!

Yours sincerely,
Zorlee
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Visiting NY next summer - need help with a place to stay + drum teachers!

An affordable summer in NY is not the easiest thing to do. NY is incredibly expensive these days. You may be able to find a sublet through the Village Voice. It would be cheaper to live out in Queens. Somewhere on the 7 subway line is best. You probably will also need to get a job, and practice space. The Studio on 30th St has cards with rehearsal space at 7.00 an hour. There are also a couple of guys who rent out monthly spots. Check The Village Voice.

As far as drummers go, check their websites and contact them that way. Summers can be very busy for performing drummers and it will be too early to work out schedules. Truthfully, I think that you should talk to several drummers that you are interested in working with and concentrate on working with one teacher for the whole summer. You could do a weekly or perhaps a bi-weekly lesson since you're loaded, ahem wink wink. .Both Dom and Tommy are good choices; neither one of them is in the city, so you would need to truck out to the suburbs for lessons. Not a problem though, as both are accessible via public transportation.

You won't have a problem getting into most places; but some may have a 21 and over policy. There will still be plenty to do.There are a lot of free concerts all summer long, the River to River Festival, Central Park Summerstage, Celebrate Brooklyn, Lincoln Center's American Music Festival. There's the JVC Jazz festival in June. and Jazz at the 92 St Y in July.Many of the clubs are very expensive, 50 bucks a set. Of course, you can see Tommy Igoe every Friday at Birdland for $15.00. If you study with him, you should get a standing reservation for the whole summer.

I would also contact Pat Petrillo via the Drummer's Collective or through his thread at the drummers spot.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Visiting NY next summer - need help with a place to stay + drum teachers!

You do need to be over 21 to drink alcohol legally in the us of course. This doesn't nesicerally mean you won't be allowed in clubs that serve it. Here in the UK i regularly go to see bands play (well i went twice) and they do serve drinks but anyone over 15 is allowed in to see the bands and order non-alcoholic drinks but you have to get your hand stamped if you want to get served. Also some clubs do under age nights where they don't serve alcohol. Dunno if it's different in America though or what.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Although I live about an hour and a half from NYC, you re more than welcome to stay at my place for as long as you want. Its a hell of alot cheaper and the train ride may take some getting used to, just an offer!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Don't forget to take along at least one suit and some nice clothes.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Thank you guys SO much for your answers! Itīs so amazing to see that you guys are so helpful and friendly! Thatīs what I truly love about you americans!

Anyway, I thank you for your offer, dirtrider, but I found a pretty affordable hostel (Big Apple Hostel) at 43 dollars a night, and thatīs really good, considering itīs location! And Iīm only going to be sleeping there, not staying there at daytime.
Iīve sent emails to both Dom Famularo and Tommy Igoe, but itīs probably a bit too soon to schedule anything really..

BUT It would be really cool to meet some of you guys! =)
What other teachers, clubs/venues or whatever drum-related stuff would you recommend me to see in New York?

Zorlee :)
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Don't forget to take along at least one suit and some nice clothes.
Umm . .any recommendations?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 AM
jamndrummer

Quote:
What other teachers, clubs/venues or whatever drum-related stuff would you recommend me to see in New York? Zorlee

Here you go, a nice link to several clubs in N.Y. I recommend you call the clubs for the information your looking for. They are very helpful in answering questions regarding their clubs. Cost, age, etc. For teachers there, contact them through either their website or their myspace links.

http://www.ny.com/clubs/jazz/

Have fun, its VERY busy there.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlee View Post
Thank you guys SO much for your answers! Itīs so amazing to see that you guys are so helpful and friendly! Thatīs what I truly love about you americans!

Anyway, I thank you for your offer, dirtrider, but I found a pretty affordable hostel (Big Apple Hostel) at 43 dollars a night, and thatīs really good, considering itīs location! And Iīm only going to be sleeping there, not staying there at daytime.
Iīve sent emails to both Dom Famularo and Tommy Igoe, but itīs probably a bit too soon to schedule anything really..

BUT It would be really cool to meet some of you guys! =)
What other teachers, clubs/venues or whatever drum-related stuff would you recommend me to see in New York?

Zorlee :)
My jazz quartet is looking to be employable by the end of the fall, so I'll keep you posted.:) There's nothing like shameless self-promotion.

You have to be vigilant; check the Village Voice for what's happening. I was in the city for a weekend a while back and someone told me they had seen this kick ass drummer at the Village Vanguard the night before. When I checked the Voice, it was only 'El Negro.' I wasn't vigilant and I missed it.

John Riley plays Mondays at the Vanguard with The Jazz Orchestra. Paul Motian is also there a lot. Last time I saw him, he asked my, "How can you be so f$%^cking stupid." Real nice guy. I'll have to get back to him on that. I've been insulted by other legends. It's just fun being insulted by a legend.
Les Paul plays the Iridium on Monday nights.
Another legend, Billy Hart is around a lot. http://billyhartmusic.com/
Dave Weckl and Steve Smith are usually around here and there.
You can check out Small's and the Jazz Standard, and yes, even Coca Cola's up at Columbus Circle. Monday nights they ahev new talent.
The Cutting Room used to have an open jam Mondays at 11:30. I don't know if that's still on.

a lot of places have student discounts, half price for the second set, so bring your student ID.

Where are you from?