DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Drum Head Help

So basically in my past year of drumming I've just been running the drum heads that the music store I went to suggested I used. I've been using Remo Pinstripe's and a Powerstroke 3 for my snare head. I guess I like the sound of the Remo's since I like a deep and dry thump but I just wanna give my drums a little bit more life. The snare head definately needs changing, the powerstroke gives my snare a very dead sound for a snare.

So my question is what are some good double ply heads I can run on my toms, that aren't as dead as the Pinstripes but aren't as lively as a single ply. Not only that but what heads can handle relatively hard hitting from a player who uses 5B and 2B sizes.

For snare heads I'm looking for a lively sound, but can still taking a beating. I once again don't want to go single ply, but I don't want to go muffled much like the toms. I want something that still has some life but isn't muffled like crazy.

Where I go for drum heads is more heavily geared toward Remo but also have a decent selection of Evans heads. So I'll go either way, I just would like to better my knowledge before I just go buying random stuff.

EDIT: I probably want to try out coated heads for the record. It would be refreshing to see after using clear heads all year.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drum Head Help

Toms: Evans EC2 clears. I would avoid the coated, the Evans frosty coating doesn't really sound good on this head, IMO.

Snare: Remo coated Ambassador or Evans coated G1. No such thing as a "lively" 2-ply snare batter. In live situations it will sound much more lively and present. If it's too much for you at home throw a studio ring on it.

Take a beating? This is my son's snare. The coated Ambassador is over 1 year old. He plays with rock bands unmiked, and he hits hard.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Other option for the toms would be Remo Emperors or Evans G2 both two ply heads without the tone ring like the pinstripe has. What drumtech dad said about the snare head is pretty true. You could always try a reverse dot to give a little more durability in the middle of the head. Keep in mind the sound you hear from behind your kit is not anywhere near the same as what it sounds like out front. So if your kit is really dead to you sitting behind it, it's going to be extremely dead 20 ft away.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 AM

I have use only two ply heads for 21 years. Clear & coated Emps., clear &coated G2's and clear pinstripes. But, to me, coated Emperors are my favorite for feel and sound. The coated G2's sounded good but the feel was not the same.
On the snare (wood) I like the coated CS w/black dot. On my Pearl free floating brass, the coated Emperors always worked the best. On the bass I have a clear Powerstroke3. I think if you dont want to change heads often, if you hit hard like I do, stick w/2 ply heads.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com