DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Default new kit- replacing bottom head ???

I just bought a new kit (Gretsch) on the bottom heads there are no manufacturer name.
to your opinion ,does it worthwhile to replace them to some known manufacturer?does it means they are inferior from "pro" heads? does it can affect dramatically the sound ?

Thanks everybody
Redmi
Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
fusssion

Default Re: new kit- replacing bottom head ???

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you didn't research the threads on this site, because its' been talked about numerous times.

Resonant heads DO make a difference,.....look in this area, Drum Gear - Heads and Sticks, ...hit SEARCH this forum, and type resonant or bottom heads ...and you'll find LOTS of stuff
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you didn't research the threads on this site, because its' been talked about numerous times.

Resonant heads DO make a difference,.....look in this area, Drum Gear - Heads and Sticks, ...hit SEARCH this forum, and type resonant or bottom heads ...and you'll find LOTS of stuff
Thanks Fusssion ,i am novice here ... taking your advise hope will find the specific information
Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM

If they tune up & sound decent there's no reason not to use them. If not, well, there's your answer.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Pioneer Member

More than likely they are an ambassador type head. The way I see it you paid for them so use them for awhile. Get them tuned up, they should sound fine. Then when you replace your batters, replace your reso's and start fresh.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

My general rule is that you should always replace stock heads, resonant or batter, when getting a new kit or drum. The reason being is that most stock heads on drums from student all the way up to pro levels are inferior.

The drum manufacturer contracts with a head manufacturer (usually Remo) to get heads at a certain price point. Those lower cost heads are made of a lesser grade plastic and aren't under the same quality control standards as the off the shelf heads.

There are some exceptions as some drum manufacturers are using high end heads, sometimes with, sometimes without the drum manufacturer logo. For example, if you buy a new Gretsch Catalina Jazz set, you get Evans G1's as batters. Gretsch doesn't put their logo on the head or 'OEM' it. DW on the other hand uses pro heads on their high end drums, 'OEM'd by Remo.

Several years ago I bought my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau set (Yamaha's top of the line set at that time). It came from the factory (got it through a friend who worked for Yamaha) with clear 'Remo UT' heads as batters and resos on the toms. The bass drum had a Powerstroke knockoff. These were all good heads as far as stock heads go. However I love Aquarian coated heads so I never even played the drums with those heads. I replaced them immediately with Aquarian Studio-X batter heads (later with Aquarian Satin TC heads) and Classic Clear resos. I recently sold those 'unused' heads on eBay. I've never regretted that even though the heads were probably close or the same as Ambassadors. I just knew I wanted the superior sound of the new heads. Which I got.

To me heads make all the difference and I would go crazy thinking "These drums could sound so much better..." while playing on the stock heads.

Now - that is my opinion as a pro player with 37 years under his belt. At a certain time in my life, I would not have been able to hear the difference between stocks and off the shelf heads, at least the difference between the more 'pro' stocks I've mentioned and OTS heads. That was kind of a blessing for my wallet as heads aren't cheap when you outfit a whole set. A player has to weigh the costs (literally) with what their ears and gig revenue will give back.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Jim
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM

Change the stock heads asap
I been having problems with tuning my drum ever since i got it. Even when i bought g2 for batter it still wouldn't tune good. A couple days ago i got annoyed so i decided to buy g1's for res and now my tom sounds amazing. Stock heads are garbage(at least on cheaper sets they are).
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMI View Post
I just bought a new kit (Gretsch) on the bottom heads there are no manufacturer name.
to your opinion ,does it worthwhile to replace them to some known manufacturer?does it means they are inferior from "pro" heads? does it can affect dramatically the sound ?

Thanks everybody
Redmi
I really can't tell you, but I have suspected that some manufacturers use inferior heads on the kits they sell to help keep the costs down. They bottom head does affect the sound far more than you realize. You would probably be well off to get a bottom head for one of the drums and see if it is the problem before blowng the bread for all new heads.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM

I recently purchased a Tama Superstar kit. Replaced the batters but left the stock resos on. Tuned them up and they sound fine. No bout the drums would sound a bit better with better heads but sometimes the stock heads are fine.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Change 'em out. As others have said, stock heads are usually inferior and hard to tune, and they make more difference than many drummers realize.

Also, check out Bob Gatzen on reso heads.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Pioneer Member

replacing bottom heads is important, but don't forget the snare. A lot of people overlook the snare side head, but it makes a big difference in the resonance and snare sound of the drum. I bought a Slingerland chrome over brass snare a while ago and it had an Attack Thin Resonant on the bottom. I got a g1 coated for the top and a hazy 300 for the bottom. Now I put the g1 coated on there first, but the drum just didn't sound quite right to me, almost a bit dead. Upon changing the bottom head, the snare has that sound (think Buddy Rich) that I want. The main reason is, the bottom head was a 'thin' model which led to a drier sound. When you get a drum (old or new) change the heads first to something you want. If the head s that came with it are still OK, save them. Not that you will prefer to ever use them, but they may come in handy in case of emergencies. (Ex: a head has an issue before a gig, and bingo, you have a spare...although much like the tire counterpart, this spare won't be the best but it can save you)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Most Gretsch use Evans batter heads, G1, from the factory, so I would bet its some sort of Evans reso head also. I put G2 coated on my batters and G1 clears on my resos on my Renowns and they sound fine. They sounded OK with the factory heads but I wanted better.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Pioneer Member

My Gretsch Catalina came with G1 Coated batters on the toms but generic ones on tom resonants and bass drum. Huge difference in replacing the stock heads....don't overlook the bass drum either. A large number of people forget to worry about bass heads, especially the front ones. Now I liked the Gretsch logo on mine, but the sound of the G1 Coated on the front adds a lot more tone to my bass. It's got that low end that a 26" should have now. My Mapex ProM kit has an EMAD2 over a EQ1 Coated Reso, sounds much better than other heads I've had on it before (Fiberskyn Powerstrokes, EMAD)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 AM

I'm sure it is a cost-saving factor for manufacturers to outfit new kits with cheap heads, but there is really no point to the alternative. They know that the first thing 99% of drummers do when they get a new kit is buy new heads to get the sound they want. There are so many on the market and each gives a different timbre. Which ones should the drum companies use? Clear, or coated? Two ply, or single? Controlled or open? Remo, Evans or Aquarian? They have no idea what any particular customer wants on their drums, so it makes sense to ship 'em out with cheapest thing that will make a sound out-of-the-box.

And btw, resos do make a huge difference.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM

I always change stockheads unless they're REAL Remos or Evans. you can only win here.