DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Todd Sucherman here!

Hey Todd,
Man I am really digging your playing. Your playing is such a great expression of how rudiments can be practically applied and it sounds just phenomenal. Every time I hear your playing it makes me want to jump on the drums and try out a new idea I hear or a cool lick. Wish I could catch you at the MD fest but Purchase is a little far from me. But thank you for bringing a level of musicianship and versatility to drumming whether it's the angry young man or a swing tune.

Ian
Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

latzanimal---glad you enjoyed the MD interview. Thanks!

ChrisBassdrum---thanks. I'm happy you dug the clips. The DVD was produced and edited in Austin, Texas...and the filming location was just outside of Austin. You can order the DVD direct from Altitudedigital.com which is in Austin! Vielen Danke!

Bernhard---my dear friend---thanks for your great work and great site. See you soon!

Trip---hope we run into each other. Hope you have a good time at the fest!

pickupstyx--I'm happy you dig "Tears of Joy". I love that composition and never tire of it. I wouldn't be able to do what you suggest as I didn't write it and don't have the publishing. This would be an expensive endeavor with lawyers, Sony publishing, etc. It's one thing to have a piece of music out for performance or entertainment. It's another for downloaded tracks that people can record themselves with and do whatever they want with, etc. Sorry--it won't happen.

youenjoy00myself--thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it! I'm assuming you have the dvd with your comment about application of rudiments. (There's a hands/practice pad session that's 30 minutes and then 30 minuets of previous materials applied on the drumset.) I've always tried to reap as many ideas out of one single idea using different orchestrations and note rates. You're vocabulary grows when you approach things in this manner. Hopefully that demonstrated well on the dvd! Thanks again for your positive feedback!

Cheers from San Jose--

Todd
Old 09-17-2008, 04:07 AM

Wow - I hadn't realized it was shot just outside of Austin and that AltitudeDigital was based in town as well. I work right around the corner -- wonder if I can get the instant satisfaction of a local purchase rather than wait for shipping.

"Hey, who's that whacko waving money outside the window?!?"

Now if only I could afford a recording space like that, rather than my thin-walled storage unit off IH-35... :D
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Audball---they're right on 360. Although if you order from Altitudedigital.com, they ship the same day and it would be 24 hours to you mailbox!

Leaving Cali tomorrow, day at home, then off to NY for the Modern Drummer Festival. Anyone going?

T
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Just posted - with the kind permission of Todd - 8 clips from the great new DVD on Drummerworld.

I spent many hours with watching the DVD - just great. There are so many sections and many aspects are covered. Beautiful.
Thanks sooo much for those clips....

Not that I needed any convincing but now I'm even more convinced this is gonna be one sweet DVD.....Pre-orded it @ Amazon....can't wait!

Todd -
I was wondering do you enjoy playing on the big kit more with all its possibilities or do you prefer the intimacey of the small 4 piecer more?
Just curious.....
Old 09-17-2008, 08:06 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

LinearDrummer,

If I may suggest this: Cancel your order with Amazon and order direct from Altitudedigital.com. We have not negotiated ANY DEAL with Amazon whatsoever. We have no idea how it's even listed on their site. We are investigating. Where will they get the dvds from? WE have 'em! So if you can, cancel your order as you may never receive one!
Thanks, man.

As far as the kits go, they are two different animals. I play completely differently on each. They inspire different ideas. It's a different touch. We're talking a Les Paul vs. a Taylor acoustic guitar. You would drive a Ferrari differently than a Rolls Corniche, you know? In the end--they both get you to the store. I'm at home in either setting and variety is the spice of life!

OK. Thanks again and I hope you get the dvd right from US. It ships immediately!

Cheers, bro--
Todd
Old 09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Todd,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for your big kit, do you still use multiple 8" tom-toms? Aren't they like 8x7 and 8x8? If so, how do you separate the sounds/notes between them since they are so close in size? And does the extra inch depth of the 8x8 give any noticable sound difference over your traditional 8x7?

See you this weekend!

Dom
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Hey Trip,

There's a huge difference between the 8x7 and 8x8. Tuning plays a big part. The first 8 (x7) is tuned up high for a Phil Collins type "gock" or "bark". The second 8 is conventionally tuned and sounds like a "meaty" 8. So, they are not even close. The extra inch on the 8x8 helps with the meatiness and the 7 depth helps with the bark but doesn't choke. Make sense?

Right on. Hope you have a good time this weekend.

Cheers from Austin,
Todd
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Yea, makes total sense! Amazing how 1" of drum affects tonality!

I also watched some trailer clips from your new DVD. Holy cow you're smooth as satin!!! I look forward to gettin a copy soon!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sucherman View Post
LinearDrummer,

If I may suggest this: Cancel your order with Amazon and order direct from Altitudedigital.com. We have not negotiated ANY DEAL with Amazon whatsoever. We have no idea how it's even listed on their site. We are investigating. Where will they get the dvds from? WE have 'em! So if you can, cancel your order as you may never receive one!
Thanks, man.

As far as the kits go, they are two different animals. I play completely differently on each. They inspire different ideas. It's a different touch. We're talking a Les Paul vs. a Taylor acoustic guitar. You would drive a Ferrari differently than a Rolls Corniche, you know? In the end--they both get you to the store. I'm at home in either setting and variety is the spice of life!

OK. Thanks again and I hope you get the dvd right from US. It ships immediately!

Cheers, bro--
Todd
No problem man....I'll cancel and put in an order @ Altitude....
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Hi Todd,

i saw your videos from your new dvd at drummerworld.com and im really impressed. Especially the song "Tears of joy" is wonderful. Can you tell me, what time-signature it has? It sounds like a 7 followed by 6 but always counted in smaller patterns like 4/3 and 4/2. The best is, that the song is so musically although it has its crazy and overplayed odd meter signature. Great work! Nice to see, that you can play on Modern Drummer Festival 2008. Enjoy it.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

Todd, outstanding and inspiring performance at this year's MD Festival 2008!! I loved every second of it and was truly in awe the entire time. And of course when we shook hands and you signed my Methods & Mechanics DVD! Thanks for that! I've watched part of it so far and I can't wait to finish the rest. It's 100 lbs of material in a 4 oz. package!!

I hope we meet again Todd. And from one Sabian player to another, rock on!!

Dominick

Last edited by Trip McNealy; 09-22-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM

A couple of nice licks from the great Todd Sucherman's new dvd:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...unkydisco.html
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

TODD!!!!! Had so much fun brother. I always look forward to hanging with you.

Your performance was legendary!!!!

I'll give you a shout when I get to PASIC. THAT'S going to be a hoot as well!

Cheers

D.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Linear---thanks!

ilikedrums---"Tears of Joy" is in 13/8....but it almost seems like 13/16 as the 8th note rate is pretty quick. The "A" section is like a bar of 7 then 6. The "B" section flips to a bar of 6 then 7. In my dvd I break it down and go through a few of the "3s and 2s" as you can break down any difficult time signature in groups of 3s and 2s. I hope you decide to pick up the dvd direct from Altitudedigital.com. Thanks for your kind words!

Dominick---a pleasure meeting you! Sorry if I left out the "K" in your name when I signed your DVD. Thanks for getting it and thanks for your compliments, man. I really appreciate it. I hope it inspires cool ideas in your playing. Let me know.

Korompay---nice job! Interesting to see things written down. I've never been much of a transcriber--so I appreciate your efforts. Thanks!

Derek--you killed it, my man! I don't know about legendary....but coming from you that's quite a compliment, my friend. I echo your sentiments back to you. We will definitely hook up in Austin!

OK---at home for a day and back out on the road tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Cheers-
Todd
Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Todd, I've just watched the Hudson music sample (teaser) and man !!! You're a monster, absolutely freaking. Just want to say, I love it.

BTW, your interview was very funny, I mean, all the badluck that happened and you took it with humor and grain of salt. You retrieved me a big smile.

CIAO, take care & A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Mind Drummer--

Thanks a lot! It was really something. We all go through moments of wackiness as drummers and I just had a moment or two at the end of the fest....that's life!

I appreciate you kind words---

Off to Montgomery, Alabama now...
Cheers!
Todd
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Hey, Todd

I saw your performance at the MD Festival, and I thought your drumming was terrific. Congratulations. Being asked to play at the MD Festival is an honor that most of us will never know, and you did a nice job with it.

However, I noticed that you made reference in this thread to "moments of wackiness." In your Hudson interview, you talked about messing up a fill.

For the most part, when famous drummers log on here, the other forum members offer nothing but worshipful praise. I'm going to go against the grain in this case because I want to offer a different perspective. Honestly, I was somewhat taken aback at the MD Festival when you stopped your song mid-stream and explained that you had botched a fill. I am sure that no one except you was aware of the mistake. When you suddenly stopped performing, we were all sitting there in the audience wondering what the heck was going on.

I can understand being a perfectionist and wanting to have a pristine performance for the festival DVD...but pristine performances seldom occur in real life. Everyone from Elvin to Gadd has mistakes in their recorded history. The "wackiness" you experienced at the festival wasn't really all that unusual, except for the fact that you drew everyone's attention to it.

As I said before, I think you did a very nice job at the festival. Just keep in mind that some very young and impressionable drummers are watching you and listening to your words. It would be great if they got the message that drumming live means going with the flow, playing through our inevitable human errors, and staying focused on serving the song.

Thank you for taking in my feedback here. I wish you the best.

Last edited by MattRitter; 09-24-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Thank you for your fast answer, Todd. If the Company ships to Germany i will do so. Im very interested to get your DVD. Great videos from MDF 2008 - you did a fantastic job. Greets!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Matt,

Thanks for your feedback and for your thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

You know, it's funny. Upon watching the review disc of my performance, it seemed clear that I could have continued with the flow and no one would have been the wiser. At the time, being in my body at that exact moment----it seemed like a colossal time lapse---as wide as the Grand Canyon. Had it been just a regular clinic performance I would have continued. But the cameras were rolling on a DVD that would exist on this earth longer than I will. It is a fill that I've been asked about hundreds of times, and one I break down and teach in my DVD. In a split second I thought (only for the sake of the filming) that I should do another take. I suppose the laptop falling in take 2 and then the stick flying out in Take 3 was the universe's way of teaching me that I should have continued just fine with take 1. Lesson learned. We never stop learning....

I hope no one got the wrong message for my reasons for trying again. I'd like to think that the overall resonating message from all my playing and speaking were not overshadowed by the last take. I hope it came off as "endearing" in a way, and overcoming obstacles that will always be there as musicians and as human beings.

Thanks again for your observations and I appreciate your time to drop me a note.

Hope you had a great time at the MD Fest! My best to you-

Cheers-
Todd
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks, Todd. You could have become defensive about what I wrote, but instead, you offered a sincere and thoughtful response. Much appreciated.

Continued luck with your drumming career!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Mr.Sucherman

I have been watching your videos off the Drummerworld home page and have a question. What type of heads are you using on the beautiful large pearl kit that is used in the video titled (from the drum solo)? I like your playing style. It cuts nicely. Thank You .
Old 09-27-2008, 03:58 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

ililedrums----Altitudedigital.com does ship to Germany. We've had orders from all parts of Europe and Asia. Hope you pick it up. Vielen danke!

Matt---your feedback is always welcomed in any form. So thanks to you and I wish you the best!

Sirwill---thanks for the compliments. I'm using (and always use) clear Remo Ambassadors top and bottom on the toms, clear Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum, coated Ambassador on the snare with hazy Ambassador snare side. Obviously for the small four piece jazz kit I go with the coated Ambassadors on the toms as well. I'm glad you dig the clips Bernhard put on the site. It's just a drop in the bucket of what's inside the 5 hour presentation! Thanks again.

Cheers from Biloxi, MS--

Todd
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Hey Todd,

I saw you play with Styx a few years back (I think Tommy Shaw announced it as your 10th anniversary and his 30th) and loved the sound and the subtle complexity you added to the drum parts. Needless to say, I've been following your career ever since and think the MD cover is well-deserved.

I see sometimes you play AAX hi-hats and sometimes HHX Evolution hats. Any reason for the difference? I'm thinking of picking up a new set and wondered how you decided between the two. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

P.S. I'm planning to show the MD picture of your home drum set-up and snare wall to my significant other to justify my continued drum purchases. We'll see what she thinks!

Sonor S-Classix
Paiste Signature Dark Energy
Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

My friend played this for me and needless to say I was totally blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKS0...eature=related

These rock band with orchestra always rock best when you have young people. Who's idea was this? Great idea.

(I've seen Dennis De Young a twiwe over the last few years, but now I'm a reborn Styx fan.)

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 09-28-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Shoedady--thanks for the compliments, my friend. You know, picking out hats is just like picking out a snare or ride cymbal for any given gig or track in the studio. I like having several options on hand. Live with Styx I've been using 14"AA Regular Hats for several years. They work well in that context of the live show. They are very "rock" but can also be musical and "tight" by utilizing them in different ways. The HHX Evos record nicely in my opinion. A touch softer and a touch darker than the AAs. I haven't really used much of the AAX hats except for a pair at home. I also used HH bright hats on one of the solos in my DVD for contrast. I think you can't go wrong with 14" AA regs or 14" HHX Evos---it's just a matter of what music you'll be playing. And good luck convincing your wife! Mine's the coolest, but even with her I've had to pay a little extra tax on some of the things I've brought home or drums that just "show up" on the doorstep. I've slowed down in recent years!

Deltadrummer---thanks a lot. That was one of the toughest gigs I've ever done. I feel I was far from my best because I (and we) were very out of our element with very little rehearsal---and by very little I mean ONE real rehearsal. I was put in the acrylic box (which I hate) and trying to hold things together between the band and orchestra was a monumental challenge. That being said, the kids were great and I think the overall spirit of the evening prevailed. It was a memorable night and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've read many notes from people who were moved to tears by the DVD of that show. Nothing worth doing comes easy, right? So thanks for being a reborn fan and I hope you make it out to a gig next time we swing through your area. Thanks for the note!

Cheers from Orlando--
Todd
Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Greetings from sunny Florida Todd! I hope your enjoying the weather down here right now cuz we are starting to get into the the fall months, if there is such a thing here in Florida. The humidy levels seem to fall off the face of the earth and the days become extremely enjoyable.

Let me just say, that just a few nights ago I saw the performace of Styx with CYO and never made the connection with you. All I kept thinking to myself was that "this drummer has some great chops."

Welp, I just found out that its you. Immediately, I watched all of the videos of you and I have to say my favorite is Tears Of Joy. Not only is the music beautiful, but watching you play it is visually stimulating as well.

You just earned a new fan!

All the best!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Hey Todd, hows it goin,

Really enjoying the DVD clips on drummerworld, just gotta get the full business next.

My question is what are you using as Hi hats on the funky disco beat vid on this site. Also whats that grey ride with the chain on it?

Thanks in advance

Sean
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Dominick---a pleasure meeting you! Sorry if I left out the "K" in your name when I signed your DVD. Thanks for getting it and thanks for your compliments, man. I really appreciate it. I hope it inspires cool ideas in your playing. Let me know.

Not a problem, Todd. You're not the first person to miss letters!

What is that raw, unlathed Sabian cymbal you play above your hi-hats on the small 4-pc kit? It's VERY dry when you crash it and an audible "ping." I can only make out "Hand Hammered" on it.

Not to detract from the main content of the DVD, but I also watched the bloopers reel (had to!) and let me say you are histerical!!!!! I was dying laughing the entire time.

Hope to see you at PASIC 2008, I will be there!

Dominick
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

That Guy---had a lovely afternoon here in Florida. Lunch with a buddy and now back at the hotel a few hours before the gig. Thanks for your kind words. "Tears Of Joy" is by Jerry Goodman, who was in Mahavishnu, The Flock--and countless sessions. He's a virtuoso genius and an amazing composer of complex (yet beautiful) music. I hope to get another track from Jerry soon. Thanks again for your note and perhaps you'll consider getting the DVD so you can have "Tears" in all it's HD 16X9 goodness. altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

Doom---gottsta get the full business indeed! Hope you dig it and thanks for your compliments on the clips. Glad you're enjoying them. The trash hats are a combo of a 14" HHX Evolution Mini China with a 12" HHX Evolution Splash on top. It's what I used in the "X-Hat" position on the big kit---but I popped those on the regular hat stand for that. The ride in question is a Sabian Encore (Jack DeJohnette) 20" flat ride. It has a crystal top end with a dry body. Strange cymbal and very soft. It's the perfect cymbal for quiet cocktail gigs--or any gig where the volume must be at a minimum. You can crash it and it's still soft. Thanks again, Sean!

Dominick--that ride is a 20" Sabian HH Raw Dry Ride. I've had that cymbal for 10 years and the ones I've seen since I got that look and sound a little different to me. (Maybe it was just the ones I saw...I dunno.) But this one's very unique too. Piercing bell but no wash or build up at all. An anomaly in a way. Glad you dug the "blooper reel." You know, in editing I was concerned that I was too dry (Beuller? Beuller?) and thought it might be fun to show some moments of levity that took place during filming---even at the risk of appearing self indulgent. There were inside bits that entertained Eric Dorris (director, co producer and editor) and I so we just went for it. Glad you're enjoying the DVD!
As of now I should be around for PASIC...so see you then.

Cheers-
Todd
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks again for your note and perhaps you'll consider getting the DVD so you can have "Tears" in all it's HD 16X9 goodness.

Cheers-
Todd
Already did it sir... and I can't wait for its arrival. Quick question... have you had any contact with Kyle Woodring since his gig with Dennis DeYoung?

I had some brief contact with Kyle back in Feb. 07 and I know that while he enjoyed playing with Dennis he felt severely restricted. He didn't mention any direct problems, but I knew right off that Kyle was a little sad that Dennis kept the drums fairly back and didn't allow him to shine. Not that Kyle had any reason to, after all he accepted a gig with Dennis and on top of that he was dating Dawn Marie so he had a support system that was well acquainted with being pushed to the back.

Deana is very nice. I met her only once, but I really enjoyed her company. She is amazing when solo.

As far as I know, Kyle was leaving Dennis for other projects but he did mention possibly comming back with Dennis after 08.

Just curious of any contact you had with him. Kyle is such a lowly and humble person and not many know who he is. I feel that he should have a profile on Drummerworld, yet it hasn't happened. Anymore insight you could add about Kyle would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by That Guy; 09-29-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

ThatGuy---

I haven't seen Kyle since '97. We were contemporaries and friendly but were never really pals or hung out or anything. I know that DDY can be a difficult entity to deal with. But I'm sorry I can't shed any more light on Kyle. I haven't really paid any attention to any of DDY's post Styx musical activities.

Cool. Hope all's well with you!

Cheers from Austin.....about to be in Niagara Falls.....
Todd
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Hey Todd, I noticed you use a Sonor Sig hihat stand. What do you prefer about it over the Pearl or any others?

Just curious since you endorse the Pearls and even use their pedals.. I know plenty guys use different pedals and some even have just a hardware endorsement.

I am more curious about the Sonor, it still goes for a hefty fee on ebay. Is it really that good? You are not the only I've noticed using this stand either...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

latzanimal--

Sonor changed their design in '94 with the Designer Series.....and nothing feels like an '80s early '90s Sig, Protec or Phonic hi hat stand. It's just "home" for me. My Pearl guys know this and they are cool with it. I use the Eliminators on clinics and they are great. There's just nothing that feels like the old Sonors---including anything Sonor has made in the last 15 years. Signature stands still command a hefty fee on Ebay because I seem to remember the list on the hat stand was somewhere around $750 in the early 90s if my memory serves correct.

Hope that answers your question--

Cheers!
Todd
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Greetings Todd! Glad to see that your enjoying the tour. I hope your having a good time in your current location.

I have a couple quick questions to satisfy my curiosity and they may also help to inform our members here at DW. Who are your deepest inspirations, and who (if multiple) did you study under?

On a personal note: Your drumming has captivated me. I have yet to find a drummer that has captured my attention as much as you have since Carter Beauford. I only wish that I noticed you sooner. Better late then never. I, as I'm sure many do appreciate the time you take out of your spare yet busy free time to associate with us and answer our questions.

Peace!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

That Guy--

I appreciate your kind words. Thanks! I'm mostly self taught (for the exception of my father who taught me since age 2 and being in the junoir high school band since 1st grade on) and I went to Berklee for one year where I studied with Skip Hadden, Ian Froman, and Gary Chaffee. All this information is available in the DVD "Methods and Mechanics" available direct from Altitudedigital.com.

Here's my stock list of drummers that have meant something to me:

Arnold J. Sucherman, Tony Williams, Steve Smith, Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Jack DeJonette, Elvin Jones, Stewart Copeland, Buddy Rich, Manu Katche, Steve Gadd, Peter Erskine, Jerry Marrotta, Jeff Porcaro, Mark Brzezicki, Gavin Harrison, Roy Haynes, Dave Weckl, Steve Michaud, Max Roach, Jo Jones, Philly Jo Jones, Gary Novak, Terry Bozzio, Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, Carlos Vega, Hal Blaine, Al Jackson, Steve Jordan, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchell, John Bonham, Dennis Chambers, Omar Hakim, Louie Bellson, Gary Husband, Butch Miles, Danny Seraphine, Larry Mullen Jr., Carter Beauford, Mark Craney, Clyde Stubblefield, Andy Sturmer, Trilok Gurtu, Kenny Aronoff, Ian Froman, Skip Hadden, Gary Chaffee, Ben Farquhar, Andy Russell, Phil Gould, Richie Hayward, Bill Bruford, Pat Mastelotto, Dave Mattacks, Paul Wertico, Denny Siewell, Roger Taylor, Jim Keltner, Larrie Londin, Zack Danziger, Prarie Prince, Baby Dodds, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Lenny White, Narada Michael Walden, Mark Walker, Jim Hines, Mike D'Amico, Matt Walker, Scott Bennett, Thomas Dolby, Carlton Barret, Ben Folds, Rick Allen, Nigel Olsson, Deen Castronovo, Dominic Howard, John Robinson, Yogi Horton, Mel Gaynor, John Panozzo, Neil Peart, Aynsley Dunbar, Cindy Blackman, Clayton Cameron, Alex Acuna, Jojo Mayer, Jim Chapin, Bill Stewart, Art Blakey, Keith Carlock, Kenny Clarke, Will Kennedy, Sonny Payne, Poogie Bell, Al Foster, David Garibaldi, Joe Morello, Jeff Hamilton, Bernard Purdie, Brian Blade, Rick Jaeger, Stan Lynch, Johnny Rabb, Jason Bonham, Ronnie Vanucci, Chad Gilmore, Zak Starkey, Adam Nussbaum, Joel Rosenblatt, Art Taylor, Jimmy Cobb, Danny Gotlieb, Nick Mason, Steve Negus, Jay Bellerose, Bryan Hitt, Levon Helm, Shelly Manne, Charlie Watts, Cliff Almond, and every drummer I've done shows with, drum festivals with, and every drummer I've ever seen or heard!

Cheers from Niagara Falls.....and about to be heading to Kauai!

Todd
Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Hey, Todd. Hope you're enjoying Niagara Falls. If not, Kauai should take care of it.

Thanks for the tips on the hats a little while back. I'm looking at putting together a separate jazz/fusion/smooth jazz kit. Do you think the HHX Legacy's would do the trick for this, or would you recommend something else? I was thinking of the 14" hats, 17" and 18" crashes, and the 22" heavy ride...

Sonor S-Classix
Paiste Signature Dark Energy
Old 10-06-2008, 03:13 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Shoedaddy--

The Legacy stuff is very cool. The hats are earthy and "old school" thin. It just might work for you. Check them out and see if they are giving your ears what you want to hear.

Off to Kauai in a few hours......

Cheers!
Todd
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Hey Todd,

Hope your road travels are going well.

Thanks for elaborating about your kit on the DVD - one question I had about the Masterworks kit itself - do you tune all the toms and snares to general notes or some kind of melodic interval? Or is it something really general like "medium-high tension." On the DVD you mention how you tune them, the bottom head slightly higher than top.. That was about it though.

And then for your Prototype Sabian ride - is Sabian going to be rolling it out as a Vault Signature model anytime soon? Did you model yours after anything in particular? I could make out that the bell is raw and the finish looked Traditional and maybe 22"? How is it different than the Precision Ride you typically use?

Thanks as always for the QUICK TIP!!!!!!!!! :)

Dominick

P.S. - Playing demo......Playing demo.....
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Dominick--

I just use my ears. Drums have a sweet spot where they want to "live" and the better the drum, the bigger the sweet spot. I have no techniques or methods other than the ears on my head.

That ride is fantastic but honestly, it's too light for live gigs with Styx. I gravitate towards 22's....maybe they could make a 22" that's a touch heavier. But then again, I love the washiness of that 20". Ahh, choices......but that 20" was just sitting in the Sabian office marked "prototype" and I just left with it. Simple as that. The 22" Precision is way heavier and louder with a bell that won't quit.

OK!

Aloha and mahalo from Honolulu en route to Maui....

Todd