DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Default Todd Sucherman here!

Hey Everyone,

Just dropping a note here at 5 am....just pulling into St. Louis after two amazing days in Chicago, my old hometown.

I've received a lot of positive feedback from the trailer clip of my upcoming DVD, "Methods and Mechanics"shown here at Drummerworld and I thought I'd pass on some news about it.

The release date is August 5th and we're hopefully doing the Blu Ray in the fall. It's an expensive proposition, but for now we have the double DVD shot in HD 16X9 at the replicators now. It clocks in at over 5 hours----so wear something comfortable for viewing! We will start taking pre orders and hopefully ship before the actual release date. You can get the info at Altitudedigital.com
http://altitudedigital.com/todd-such...mechanics.html

It will be available worldwide from them. I hope that those who choose to check it out gain much from the content and are entertained at the very least! I'm happy to pass on more information or answer any questions that anyone might have.

Thanks to Bernhard for this incredible site. I mention it by name in the DVD as well.....

And thanks to you guys as well! Cheers and happy drumming--

Todd Sucherman
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Todd Sucherman here!

Yo, Todd

Long time since the Bottom Line!. Great to see you here, and congrats on your MD Fest Performance. I will be up there, so we'll hang. Your DVD looks great from the clips I've seen!

I'm sure everyone here will benefit from your insight. Be safe, and all the best

Pat
Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the site!

Theres actually a thread of "most under-rated drummers" and I posted your name.....

The Dvd looks awesome and I will be purchasing it without hesitatiion....

I hope the MD fest is an outlet where your talents can be seen and appreciated in the drumming community on a larger scale....
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 PM
michael drums

I certainly echo LinearDrummer here, and would like to welcome Todd Sucherman to DW. It's great to have you, Mr. Sucherman. And Good Luck with ALL your endeavors.

And I'll be sure to pick up your new dvd next month. ;-)

Thank You! :-)
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Pat---yes, long time indeed! Was that the last time? Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Linear and Michael---thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate the kind words, support, and "welcome" over here at DW. Nice to be here!

Cheers from the road, now in Milwaukee.....

Todd
Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Welcome Todd!!

Your drumming is an inspiration and your drum setup is always rad looking.

Hope to gain some insight from you as you continue to post here at Drummerworld.

All the best,

Dom
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 PM

Welcome Todd!!

You are one of my favorite drummers and I am eagerly awaiting your new DVD.

Chuck
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Rickk

Welcome Todd!!

Where in Chicago were you, I wish I had known, I would love to have seen you play?

Rick
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBritt View Post
Great to see you here, Todd!

Everyone check out a clip from Todd's new DVD on DrumTVShow Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqeuQ3JZbE
better quality Clip is here with us - thanks Todd:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...hermandvd.html

..and when the DVD arrives, some more will follow..

Bernhard
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Hey Todd,

Love your playing and can't wait for your instructional video. As a guy that bugs Tama to make make 6" toms in almost every line they offer (so far I've got (2)6" toms in Starclassic Maple,a Starclassic Perfromer Birch and a Starclassic Bubinga) I'd love to see you reinstate a 6" in your Masterworks kit. I know you have said that Pearl doesn't make a mount that fits a 6" but I believe that an ISS can be fitted to do so with a little custom work.

I'm sure you think they sound like tin cans but they are fun to have!!! Keep up the great playing!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Dan, Trip, Chuck---Thanks a lot! I appreciate your kind words very much.

Rickk-- We played at Charter One Pavilion with Boston. It was a beautiful "perfect" night in Chicago. The next night we did the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley Field and sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" Harry Carry style. It was just incredible.

Bernhard---Thanks, dear friend! You'll be getting a dvd in the first batch hot off the press.

Gongbass---thank you! You know, my Ayotte 6" was great and I have a Sonor Rosewood 6" that's pretty far from sucking. I've grown accustomed to the double 8's (8x7 and 8x8). The 2nd 8" is the meaty one. The first is up in the Phil Collins "gock" range and projects extremely well. So, the jones for a 6" has not been in my mind really. Damn. Am I gonna fixate on this now? That's all I need! Thanks, Gongdrum!!!

Cheers from home....briefly......

Todd
Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 AM

Oh wow, the trailer has some of the best drum sounds I've heard in a long time, especially your snare. Is that a Masterworks?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Thanks for the kind words!

The audio for the trailer is the SCRATCH audio. We banged that trailer out in 2 days to get it to Pro Mark and Audix in time for their booths at the NAMM show last January. I'm happy to say that the MIXED versions are significantly better than the trailer. I'm thrilled you dug the sounds---you're gonna dig it more on the real thing.

Cheers!
Todd
Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Oh....I forgot........

Yes. That's a Masterworks solid Rosewood snare. The wood hoop snare is the Pete Stanbridge/Pro Mark 50th anniversary drum. Pete makes insane snares. You can check out his handy work at http://www.stanbridgedrums.com/newsite/index.html

Todd
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Welcome Todd.

We have met and talked a few times. Always a gentleman. You are truly one of the most underrated drummers.. enough butt kissing.

As a fellow collector, I admire your collection and taste in drums.

Best of luck and continued success!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 AM

Wow, that's not even really mixed? WOW. Is it panned on the DVD? That would be the greatest-sounding drum DVD ever at that point.

And what's the batter head on the snares? Coated Ambassador?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Todd

I was used to see you post on HOD but you being on DW forum is definitely a PLUS.

I wish you the best of luck and lot of success with your new DVD, which look awesome and phenomenal.

I just want to point out that I've read the Deen Castronovo article in Modern Drummer and he have for you so much respect, "You're a beast" from his own words (which is true). It's pleasant to see how much respect & humility float around the drumming community. BTW, did Deen and you met for his lessons session ?

Take care & A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Latzanimal---thanks for your kind words!

dwsabianguy-- I'm sure there is some sort of stereo field going on, but we didn't do a 5.1 if that's what you mean. It's funny what an organic thing recording is.....over the 4 days the mics didn't move and nothing changed. There are sections where the drums are particularly sweet sounding and others where it might be a shade darker or different in some way. The differences are minute but noticeable to me. Nonetheless I hope you it satisfies you and that you dig it.

mind drummer--- Thanks a lot! Yeah, I was very flattered by Deen's compliments in his MD interview. He's such a nice guy and we had a lot of fun on the Styx/Journey tour in '03. He's quite a bad-ass player and have you heard him sing? WOW. Tremendous. He called me around the holidays and wanted to come down for a visit and that's the last I heard from him. I'm sure our paths will cross before the year is over.

Thanks again, guys!
Todd
Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Welcome Todd.

I first saw you at the Montreal Drum festival in 06. I must confess I hadn't heard about you before then, but your performance that day earned you another fan. It's great to have you here at DW.

The DVD looks and sounds amazing.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Mr. Brownstone-----thanks! Montreal Drum fest was so much fun. It's a fond memory on many levels and I'm flattered that you enjoyed my performance there. And THANKS for the avatar!

DVD UPDATE:

The 5.8 earthquake in LA the other day has delayed our production, hopefully no longer than 4 or 5 days. We were supposed to have product and begin shipping by now but the replication house in LA had to inspect and re calibrate all the machines, etc. So, for those that have place orders I offer my apologies on behalf of mother nature who will win every time. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks for your interest, your orders, and your patience!

Todd
Old 08-10-2008, 05:28 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Todd....D-Rod here.
Man, looking forward to hanging at the MD fest.
Can't wait to see you rock out!

D.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Sucherman View Post

DVD UPDATE:

The 5.8 earthquake in LA the other day has delayed our production, hopefully no longer than 4 or 5 days. We were supposed to have product and begin shipping by now but the replication house in LA had to inspect and re calibrate all the machines, etc. So, for those that have place orders I offer my apologies on behalf of mother nature who will win every time. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks for your interest, your orders, and your patience!

Todd
Hey! Have you begun to ship it now or is it still delayed?

I'm absolutley blown away by your drumming!
Rock on!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Hey Derek!

Likewise, man. I look forward to hearing you and hanging. We'll have fun, no doubt!

DTrocks---thanks a lot! OK, here's the update:

The first batch ships Monday the 11th. For those who ordered the autographed versions there will be a 3-4 day delay on that as they have to FedEx a box to me on the road. They'll be signed and FedExed back to Altitude Digital where they will ship out immediately.

At this point I have yet to hold a copy in my hands. That will happen on Monday and the Altitude guys are thrilled with the packaging---which is something I personally find very important. So I'm quite excited to finally see it. It's been a ton of work, so thanks to those who have placed orders and thanks to those who will----and thanks for the support and patience!

Cheers from New Jersey--
Todd
Old 08-10-2008, 07:14 PM

can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Hey T-

Looking forward to getting the DVD!!

Talk soon-

Fav
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Hey Todd!

What about a update on the dvd...? I haven't orderd it yet because im a little short on money right now, and i am just waiting for berhnard (drummerworld) to upload some more clips from the dvd..

Best wishes!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Hey John,

Thanks! Great to hear from you, brother. Hope all's well!

DTrocks--We've been shipping since the 11th. The feedback I've received has been beautiful and gratifying. There are clips at: http://altitudedigital.com/todd-such...mechanics.html

Just scroll down and go to "more clips". Hope you dig it!

Got some cool news yesterday. The new Brian Wilson record (and live dvd) that I was honored to do called "That Lucky Old Sun" just got 4 stars from Rolling Stone, Mojo and Uncut. I'm so happy fro Brian. Anyone interested in that can check out the small movie clip about the record here:
http://www.brianwilson.com/

I look forward to your feedback--

Cheers from Pittsburgh!

Todd
Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Aaahh... thanks for the tip! Looks really cool! Definetly going to get this!

Rock on!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi Todd !
Can't wait get your new DVD - You're truly a drumming inspiration for me !

Regards,

Fred
Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 AM

Todd! Got the DVD in the mail a couple of days ago. Really digging it man! I'm a frequent styx concert goer, but have yet to see you in clinic form! It would be great to see you at a samash or guitar center near Philadelphia! I used to email you alot when i was younger through your website, and have gotten many sticks at shows from you. Thanks for all that! As far as the dvd, great work man! I've been waiting for a dvd from you for a long time! The "applying rudiments to the drum kit" section really gave me some great ideas to spice up my playing! I've been messing with the paradiddle and a half thing since i saw it, and its so great to experiment with! I also am interested in pursuing a career in music, and i thought it was great when you started talking about being a working musician was all you wanted to do, and at 16 now, thats all i want to do, for the rest of my life! Thanks for being such and inspiration since I first saw you in '97, and take care!

Joe
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

DTrocks & Earthshaker----thanks, guys! I hope you dig it and that it helps spur your playing in some cool new directions. Thanks for your kind words. As ever, all feedback (good and bad) is welcomed.

Pickupstyx---Thanks for your great feedback. I tried to somewhat systematically lay out the 30+ minute section on the pad (hybrid rudiments/compound stickings) and conjoin it with the 30+ minute application on the drums section. That way it makes sense. Here are ideas for the hands....and here are ways you can utilize them to SAY something on the instrument in a musical fashion. By changing up orchestrations and note rates---there's a thousand directions you can take those materials. I'm happy and flattered to have provided some inspiration for you. Thanks for letting me know, Joe!

Cheers from Syracuse--
Todd
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Todd,
I too echo my welcomes to you. I've enjoyed styx music for a lot of years and really enjoy your drumming. (Also a big fan of your collection) I have 3 sets and 11 snares.

I am looking forward to getting the dvd, I just found out about it a few days ago but am intrigued to check it out and walk away with some nuggets of info.

You're playing is inspiring, Thanks

Pete

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 AM

Hey man, i saw you guys play in a little town called Ames, Iowa for a ton of bike riding people recently. I've heard a styx tune or so before (I'm young??) , but never really a whole lot of the music, but then again I didn't realize they had such a badass drummer. Anyway, just wanted to say you guys were awesome, your drumming's hella rocktacular, and it's cool you're on the forums. Didn't you mention something about a wife from Iowa or something??
Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Pete---thanks a lot, man. I hope you pick the DVD up and hope you get a whole bunch-o-nuggets out if it indeed. Thanks again!

VedranS---That was the Ragbrai Festival. It was cool chatting with Lance Armstrong backstage before that gig. That was a fun show as I remember. And yes, my wife is originally from DesMoines. She's a bad ass singer who's recorded and toured the world with Brian Wilson for the past 9 years. I produced her record last year that included appearances by Brian as well as Tommy Shaw (from Styx). Four tracks from that record are featured in my DVD "Methods and Mechanics." You can check out clips from Taylor's record at TaylorMillsMusic.com. Hope you dig it and thanks for your note......and thanks for making it to the gig.

Cheers from Omaha en route to Lincoln, NE---

Todd
Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 AM
DrummerWorld Pro Drummer

Hey guys,

Just dropping a note to tell you there's a great 30 minute documentary on the making of Brian Wilson's new record airing on VH1 Classic called "Brian Wilson: That Lucky Old Sun." It aired yesterday and today--and has a few more showings. It's an honor to have participated in this recording and this documentary really shows what Brian is like in the studio. It's very well done. You also get to see my wife Taylor and my long time musical brother, Scott Bennett do their thing. It's worth setting the Tivo for in my opinion!

Next airing times are:
Sept 4th 12pm EST
Sept 7th 11am EST
Sept 10th 12am EST

Hope you guys dig it. It's an honor to have worked with this genius who's changed the face of music.

Cheers!
Todd
Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

Just read the MD interview.. Congrats!!! Long Overdue..
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Hi Todd,
First of all I found this clips on your drummerworldsite very nice. Can I asked where this DVD was produced?
greetings from germany
chris
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Just posted - with the kind permission of Todd - 8 clips from the great new DVD on Drummerworld.

I spent many hours with watching the DVD - just great. There are so many sections and many aspects are covered. Beautiful.

Enjoy!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...Sucherman.html

Bernhard

Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Todd, I look forward to meeting you and seeing your performance at MD Festival this weekend!

Regards,

Dom
Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 AM

Todd, you probably get asked this alot, but is there a chance of putting up a tears of joy mp3 on your site with your drum track? Basically just the audio from the version on methods and mechanics. Your playing is sick on it, and it would be cool to have it! Thanks Man!

Joe