DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Silver Member

Default New pie! Bosphorus Turk thin!

Just picked up a Bosphorus Turk 20" Thin weighting 2090 grams

Sound is beautiful!

Well as a quick review Ive now had the chance to mess around with the turk and I love it more then I expected, the characteristics of this cymbal are second to none, I love the dryness mixed with the wash of this cymbal. The crashabilty of this ride is RIDICULOUS, I thought about buying an 18" crash but with this it looks like my bases are covered. Bosphorus rides are all I have had and I now know the reason why! I think I will eventually be using this as my left side ride or secondary right side ride because I dont think I'll find a cymbal that will compliment next ride as much as the dark smokey flavor(sounds like im talkin about some food over here :-D) of this turk.

I tried this cymbal with 4different set of sticks.

Standard Vic Firth 5b - With the heavier weight of these sticks it seemed to compliment the cymbal fairly well in a rock/funk application it really gets the cymbal movin and groovin but with the slightly larger arcorn tip the definition of the stick didn't shine as much as I would have liked.

Bopworks westcoast - These sticks are reallly light and seem to give the cymbal more of an old school Zildjian A tone with fairly bright attack when riding, I wasnt the biggest fan of the tone I got out of the cymbal with these, and it seemed as if the sticks where too light to really get a fast swing going.

Vic Firth American Jazz 2 - This was my second overall choice for sticks, they are applicable in really a wide range of musical genres, or at least for me. The ride seemed to have a brighter more metallica sound with these that would be usefull in almost any loud situation. All in all I love these sticks regaurdless.

Peter Erskine signature vic firth - Ahhh now to my favorite, These sticks have been fantastic on any ride ive ever played them on, they give every ride a smooth butter sound, very woody stick definition and have a great weight to really dive into the ride, I love that these sticks have almost practically no taper in the shoulder which makes cross sticks available from any side(but I do notice it somtimes makes it hard to get a consistant cross stick having no taper when switching back and forth from playing.) When I do some recordings of the ride I will try to demonstrate all of these sticks, and upload them to this post. Believe me when I say it, you have to hear these sticks with this ride!
Attached Images

Last edited by jayp; 07-28-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New pie! Bosphorus Turk thin!

Very nice! Great weight for a 20" too. Enjoy!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 AM

how much was it? yoyo
Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

got it for $300 straight up no tax

Steamer: Thanks man, I was gonna consult you mr instalbul hand made cymbal master :P But once I got in the store I tried all the bosphorus / istanbul agop/mehemet they had and this stood out like a sore thumb the weight is JUST what I was lookin for! I wont be near my set till tomorrow but I cant want to play this with my ludwig set! Ill try to get some recordings up ASAP
Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful! Almost looks like a negative image of what you more often see on a cymbal's surface. It's got to sound great. Man, first the lud's and now a ride like this-- I envy you.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
got it for $300 straight up no tax

Steamer: Thanks man, I was gonna consult you mr instalbul hand made cymbal master :P But once I got in the store I tried all the bosphorus / istanbul agop/mehemet they had and this stood out like a sore thumb the weight is JUST what I was lookin for! I wont be near my set till tomorrow but I cant want to play this with my ludwig set! Ill try to get some recordings up ASAP
Yes that's a great weight for a 20" Turk jayp and a good price too. A chap in town has one around the same size and weight as yours and I heard him playing it on a trio gig recently and it was just plain killer.

You'll have lots of fun with the Turkish B20 pie indeed :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Ive been on the hunt for a ride for quite some time but I couldnt justify buying a cymbal from online non the less a turk witch I personally never heard live until today but it deffinitley was all I was looking for and more. Big ups to tuxido cause I know he has one(sounds great) and it was deffinltley an influence on my purchase.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ive been on the hunt for a ride for quite some time but I couldnt justify buying a cymbal from online non the less a turk witch I personally never heard live until today but it deffinitley was all I was looking for and more. Big ups to tuxido cause I know he has one(sounds great) and it was deffinltley an influence on my purchase.

Wait till you hear how these Turk rides record jayp. My Agop equivalent is 22" and comes in at 2250g and is also thin and bends easily with your hands and wobbles like crazy when played.

These thin Turk rides have a certain smoke and a dark smooth trash factor and woody stick click to their character that microphones just love in the studio.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

I have one just like it! You'll be amazed how versatile it is. Big band, small group, I've even used it on rock/funk gigs. The Turk sound is very unique yet very versatile.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

I was really lookin at a 22 SE Jazz ride but when compared to the Turk there was no comparison, the Turk cuts through and was recommended by my teacher who has a SE and says he really can't take it anywhere cause it just doesn't cut like he wants.

I love the woody dry tone of this cymbal a perfect all o' round :-D
Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was really lookin at a 22 SE Jazz ride but when compared to the Turk there was no comparison, the Turk cuts through and was recommended by my teacher who has a SE and says he really can't take it anywhere cause it just doesn't cut like he wants.

I love the woody dry tone of this cymbal a perfect all o' round :-D
Yes I agree but the exceptions are the SE TW's {rare now} and the slighty heavier regular SE Jazz Rides for hearing the woody stick on top and having the needed cut. My 21" SE comes in at 2325g and I use it in louder situations where the woody stick click sound and the cymbal in general needs to cut, very full sounding ringing musical bell on this one too. Problem is most dealers and online dealers never stock these so many don't get to hear how different of a character they are at this medium weight range since they aren't in the standard weight range that's normally shipped out. The med. weight 21" SE Jazz Ride was my first Agop followed directly by my thin 22" Turk Jazz Ride. Dandy complimentary pair of rides.

Getting back to the subject at hand the Turks like your new find are yes truly special in character and sound and blend extremely well with acoustic instruments having a certain "ceiling" of overtones and wash that don't get in the way and cancel out the overtones of other instruments especially as noted in a acoustic jazz setting. Like I say a versatile and excelent choice jayp.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Looking for "jazzy" cymbals? www.cymbalsonly.com

A great site for picky cymbal enthusiasts....

I have a Master Turk just like yours except I added a triad of rivets, its very beautiful.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

I always go to cymbalsonly, its the only way to be!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
KARL MEMBER

Good to see Jay...nice Turk. Though this thing would be bit of a heavy boy for me. But that depends on the individual cymbal. I`m very very glad you like it`s sound!! Any chance to get some sound clips?

Anyway...congratulations. :-)

Btw, I just finished working and got enough money to get myself a beautiful Agop...probably a 22" Agop Thin Signature. Mhhh, and more magic stuff happened lately. I`ll keep you Jeay and all the others updated.

Have fun!!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Karl,

Its actually fairly light, just barley pushing 2100g, I guess something in the range of 1900-2000 would be ideal, but still any lighter and the wash would start to take over.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Karl,

Its actually fairly light, just barley pushing 2100g, I guess something in the range of 1900-2000 would be ideal, but still any lighter and the wash would start to take over.
It's in the perfect range for a 20" IMO. I learned early on that going to thin and light in regards to my own favorite Turkish rides was a big no go to my ears musically speaking in real life group situations. To much wash and not enough stick with some early thin weight ride samples I tried put me off track temporarily with Agop till I had a chance to hear some samples more in a weight range per given ride cymbal to deliver a good woody stick click that always stayed on top over the wash. Thin washy rides per size may sound great by themselves at home in the basement but in the context of a actual band on a real stage they soon lose their appeal pretty quick experience has taught me especialy when the stick sound can't be found getting lost in the music or for being not heard out front in the audience or worse by the other musicians in the group on stage which presents it's own can of worms.

Each to his own on this with due respect but I have very particular certain parameters that have to be met during the selection process or the ride cymbal is a no go for me in my musical situations. I'm not talking pingy rides but rides where the stick sound has to be present sitting on top over the wash all the time especialy when switching back and forth from a ride to crash effect. Design certainly plays into it in some cases but the balance of stick and wash has to sit right for me. Thin Turk rides seem to do well with the stick/wash factor based on their character and design with delivering the goods to my ear.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 07-27-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Well as a quick review Ive now had the chance to mess around with the turk and I love it more then I expected, the characteristics of this cymbal are second to none, I love the dryness mixed with the wash of this cymbal. The crashabilty of this ride is RIDICULOUS, I thought about buying an 18" crash but with this it looks like my bases are covered. Bosphorus rides are all I have had and I now know the reason why! I think I will eventually be using this as my left side ride or secondary right side ride because I dont think I'll find a cymbal that will compliment next ride as much as the dark smokey flavor(sounds like im talkin about some food over here :-D) of this turk.

I tried this cymbal with 4different set of sticks.

Standard Vic Firth 5b - With the heavier weight of these sticks it seemed to compliment the cymbal fairly well in a rock/funk application it really gets the cymbal movin and groovin but with the slightly larger arcorn tip the definition of the stick didn't shine as much as I would have liked.

Bopworks westcoast - These sticks are reallly light and seem to give the cymbal more of an old school Zildjian A tone with fairly bright attack when riding, I wasnt the biggest fan of the tone I got out of the cymbal with these, and it seemed as if the sticks where too light to really get a fast swing going.

Vic Firth American Jazz 2 - This was my second overall choice for sticks, they are applicable in really a wide range of musical genres, or at least for me. The ride seemed to have a brighter more metallica sound with these that would be usefull in almost any loud situation. All in all I love these sticks regaurdless.

Peter Erskine signature vic firth - Ahhh now to my favorite, These sticks have been fantastic on any ride ive ever played them on, they give every ride a smooth butter sound, very woody stick definition and have a great weight to really dive into the ride, I love that these sticks have almost practically no taper in the shoulder which makes cross sticks available from any side(but I do notice it somtimes makes it hard to get a consistant cross stick having no taper when switching back and forth from playing.) When I do some recordings of the ride I will try to demonstrate all of these sticks, and upload them to this post. Believe me when I say it, you have to hear these sticks with this ride!