Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 AM

Default My New Set!

DW Collectors Maple, Natural Satin Oil
10x8, EC1 Coated over G1 clear
12x9, EC1 Coated over G1 clear
14x11, EC1 Coated over G1 clear
22x18, Remo PS3 with Falam Batter and Stock DW Resonant
DW Pacific Popcorn Snare 10x6, Stock DW over Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side
DW Maple 10+6 Snare Drum 14x5.5, G1 Coated over Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side
DW Brass Snare 14x5, Aquarian Satin Texture Coated over Hazy 300

Cymbals
Sabian -
14" AA Sizzle Hats
9" Signature Max Splash
16" AAXplosion Crash
18" Vault Crash
18" Signature Fierce Crash
20" AA Rock Ride
16" Zildjian China Boy Low

When I get the cash Im thinking about getting a 16x13 tom and a 22" Vault Artisan Medium Ride
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: My New Set!

Natural maple finish....the best way to go! Beautiful kit. Congrats!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 AM

Oh my god that is a beatiful kit....wonderful finish and it looks great with that fresh set of heads....your cymbals are very nice as well....congrats on the purchase
Old 07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Great looking gear. I have the exact same specs on my drums and have recently added...you guessed it...a 16 x 13 tom! I find these sizes to be quite versatile.

The cymbals are great, too. I've always wanted to try the sizzle hats. Good looking stuff.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 AM

A kit everybody'd love to have, I'm sure. Great stuff, enjoy it!
from your
tv set

Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Awesome set, congrats!!!

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM

beautiful kit. i love the finish, and your cymbal setup especially..
simple and easy to reach.

thumbs up, you have a great kit. bet it sounds killer too!!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Niiice. Those fierce crashes are just great and totally versatile. So with a triple snare setup, how much do you find yourself using each snare? How is the brass tuned differently from the 10+6 maple?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm really excited about these drums and cant get myself away from playing and tuning them... Before this I was playing a Pearl Export so it's a HUGE sound quality jump!
I play a lot of different styles and different kinds of gigs so I always have versatility in mind. I need drums and cymbals that I can pound really hard for live rock gigs, but also instruments that I can play softly in a small jazz combo.
TylerDrums109: Thank you! I wanted to take the pictures before I started pounding and wearing away the heads :P
TenPastTen: Thanks! Do you find yourself playing the 16x13 much more as a floor tom than the 14x11 now? My 14 gives me a nice low thud but I still feel like I need that lower pitched and deeper 16 tom for at least rock. The sizzle hats are nice, They really hold up well in hard hitting playing, but I find more and more they are just too thick and heavy for a lot of jazz (although the sizzles sound great in big band playing) so Im looking to maybe get something more hand hammered... Sabian HH or Zildjian K or Istanbul Agop... if you have any suggestions that would be great!
Tom Sawyer: Thanks! This has always been my dream kit... ever since I saw Marco Minneman in a clinic and the sound of his DW kit just floored me... His playing helped too ;)
DryWater: Thank you! A comfortable and easy to reach set up is really important to me... If you can see in the pics all the cymbals (other than the hi-hat) and all three toms are held on only 2 DW 9000 stands with a bunch of attachments, which makes it really easy to move and re-set up without the clutter on the floor, and keep everything close to eachother without having to worry about all the stand legs. I have my ride held by a DW Dog Bone attached to the tom arm, and Im always worried its gonna fall and crack the bass drum but its really solid and doesn't even shake so hopefully it never lets me down.
youenjoy00myself: I love my fierce crash! I was choosing between this, a Zildjian K Dry, and a Sabian HHXtreme and this stuck out the most for a unique and versatile sound. I especially like riding on top of this cymbal (hence the angling towards the drum thrown). Regarding my snares, I usually only use my maple and piccolo snare, but the brass snare gives me such a different sound, that I have it set up right now to use with the others, but on a gig I'll just choose between the brass and maple and only take the popcorn if I need it, so most gigs I usually end up using just the maple snare. I have the DW maple 10+6 snare tuned to be very crisp and articulate. I have the top head tight (but not overly tight), and the resonant head is tuned with the 4 lugs around the snares loose, with the 4 next inward ones at a middle tightness and the two furthest tight, it allows for an articulate snare sound even when playing very quietly away from the center (I use this snare for orchestral situations also). I also make sure the snare strainer isnt too tight or too lose, usually somewhere a little on the tighter side. The brass snare is tuned loosely and it is a VERY loud and wet snare (almost like the 80s snare sound mixed with a field drum), so it is a much different sound than the wood, but as I stated before I have yet to use both on the same gig, just one or the other.
Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM

DW, oh wow!!! very nice, good choice. congrats. have fun with it (I bet you have)
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful kit, you need to post it here

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34373
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Nice kit, you have great taste.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_H View Post
TenPastTen: Thanks! Do you find yourself playing the 16x13 much more as a floor tom than the 14x11 now? My 14 gives me a nice low thud but I still feel like I need that lower pitched and deeper 16 tom for at least rock. The sizzle hats are nice, They really hold up well in hard hitting playing, but I find more and more they are just too thick and heavy for a lot of jazz (although the sizzles sound great in big band playing) so Im looking to maybe get something more hand hammered... Sabian HH or Zildjian K or Istanbul Agop... if you have any suggestions that would be great!
Agreed on the 14 vs. 16 thing. I was pleased with the low end from the 14 before, but now it's blown away by the 16.
As for the hats, I really like the HHX Stage that I have ... very dry and very versatile. HHX Manhattan have a light top which might suit your jazz stuff. Also, consider MasterWork Turkish Cymbals. I recently acquired 14 Jazz Master (hand hammered Turkish B25) hats and they are very nice for a great price.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."